Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Dias posted:

Melty Blood has top tier casualwear representants and the sole example, as far as I'm aware, of DICK CLEAVAGE.

We call it pleavage but who's the offender? I haven't played Melty in a long time but can't think of who this would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Chaotic Flame posted:

We call it pleavage but who's the offender? I haven't played Melty in a long time but can't think of who this would be.

Roa don't button no pants.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

mycot posted:

It's funny how even the game kinda admits that Dizzy's outfit doesn't make much sense for her by having her appear wearing literally anything else in cutscenes.
And yet during fights the game has a different opinion about what doesn't make sense în her outfit, enough to provide a way to discard her shirt.

DLC Inc posted:

Atom's "duck animation" though is loving hilarious and I'm glad they made that decision.
It makes a lot of sense for his character, too, although the execution sucks.

Chev fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 27, 2018

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Potsticker posted:

This is a really good point. And I think it applies not just to the female costumes, too. Maybe it's nostalgia goggles talking, but I do think the BMX armor robots look better than their later designs. It also made them pretty visually distinctive as compared to generic robots in any other media.
The low resolution of the video capture system combined with the makeshift costuming required the character designs to be clear and simple, and that led to memorable and iconic designs.

Neo Rasa posted:

The best thing about the Injustice 2 animation is that it's still waaaaaaaay better than Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe. They just, like, mapped Scorpion's Deadly Alliance-era idle and pre/post-fight stance stuff to a Batman character model and it was like, what?
MKvsDC is a fascinating game in how it was made while Midway was exploding violently...

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

NRS fixed the faces when people really got at them about those so my hope is they'll finally fire the 60yo dude in the mocap suit and update their animation for whatever's coming next. They broke their usual two-year cycle, maybe that's why.
Ed Boon posted a photo recently of Eric Jacobus (the guy who does those Tekken in Real Life videos, worked on God of War fighting mocap) in a mocap suit, so they'll at least have a guy who can stunt-fight good this time.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Raw mocap is (generally) awful for video game fighting the same way just filming a fight is awful for movies. The problem with NRS isn't necessarily the mocap itself it's that the person responsible for implementing all that stuff in game is Ed Boons college buddy whose only qualification is having a McDojo blackbelt.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
cant they just mocap rama and/or mad dog from the raid?

nm, just put them in tekken as guest characters next season

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, that's the bigger problem - Ed won't fire anyone so anyone who ever worked on the series at any point gets to keep working on it for as long as they want and a few of them were grandfathered into lead roles they probably shouldn't have.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Yeah, that's the bigger problem - Ed won't fire anyone so anyone who ever worked on the series at any point gets to keep working on it for as long as they want and a few of them were grandfathered into lead roles they probably shouldn't have.

Ah, the Squeenix Method.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
They should keep the garbage mocap imo. It's unique and funny

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Its pretty cool imo

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
atom's ducking animation owns

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
it is really cool that Ed is friends with a real life version of Mac from It's Always Sunny and makes him the lead mo-cap actor for their animations

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Ed won't fire anyone who worked at Midway

All his NRS programmers are contractors who get let go after every game comes out

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I stopped caring about NRS games when I finally started realizing how bad the animations are. It’s unfortunate because the rest of their game qualities are great but the animations are worse than 90% of games coming out. It’s baffling. If you can’t make good animations you shouldn’t bother making fighting games.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Legit:

Instead of doing IJ3, NRS should make a throwback FMV MK and support MK11 and that at the same time

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Ryaomon posted:

atom's ducking animation owns

It took me a few seconds to parse what was happening the first time I used it but I also found it hilarious. NRS typical robot jank mocap moves are kinda endearing and at this point it's like a signature thing that I just block out.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Smoking Crow posted:

Ed won't fire anyone who worked at Midway

All his NRS programmers are contractors who get let go after every game comes out

Yeah, I should have qualified that statement.

Smoking Crow posted:

Legit:

Instead of doing IJ3, NRS should make a throwback FMV MK and support MK11 and that at the same time

That arcade compilation they put out around MK9 was meant to be a HD remake collection but it got scrapped for some reason, there are green-screen pictures out there.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
the nrs design, as offensive as it is to play and look at, is a really successful formula. nrs has been using their special jank as their brand for years and it makes no sense to change that now. mortal kombat wouldnt be mortal kombat without looking and feeling like garbage

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Zand posted:

the nrs design, as offensive as it is to play and look at, is a really successful formula. nrs has been using their special jank as their brand for years and it makes no sense to change that now. mortal kombat wouldnt be mortal kombat without looking and feeling like garbage

Somehow I don’t mind it a ton with MK. I guess it’s the nostalgia. The appeal with MK is seeing all the gross brutal gore and silly over the top moves but in sparkly detailed HD. IJ is fun but the disconnect between incredible graphics and poo poo tier animation is too jarring now for me.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUH2l7z9ius

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

That crown has grown powerful

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

That dude's droning voice over things that I don't think I ever noticed or really cared about in normal gameplay is killing me.

Like the dude's griping they don't use any of the after-image stuff to sell an effect on one thing, then gripes the very next bit about a move that is using the after-image stuff to sell an effect.
you dont like when this hamburger has no salt, AND you don't like it when i put a mountain of salt on it to cover that its burnt?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I whine a lot itt but I have a question for you guys

For some reason, I really loving like SFV. I’ve mentioned this before. I don’t know why but I do. It appeals to my dumb idiot heart. My only interest with fgs is playing online. Not going to play local. Is it worth it to stop worrying about all the reasons why this is a dumb game and just keep learning and playing the game I enjoy? I’m always searching for the “right” fg with solid online but I always just miss SFV and want to play it. Reading everyone poo poo on it and say how it’s unplayable online and how you can’t actually learn it because of the delay etc etc bums me out and makes me not want to bother.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
it probably makes sense to play the game you like, yes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A dozen or so posters on a dead forum posting about the deadest games in a dead genre shouldn't dissuade you from doing what you want.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

For some reason, I really loving like SFV. I’ve mentioned this before. I don’t know why but I do. It appeals to my dumb idiot heart. My only interest with fgs is playing online. Not going to play local. Is it worth it to stop worrying about all the reasons why this is a dumb game and just keep learning and playing the game I enjoy? I’m always searching for the “right” fg with solid online but I always just miss SFV and want to play it. Reading everyone poo poo on it and say how it’s unplayable online and how you can’t actually learn it because of the delay etc etc bums me out and makes me not want to bother.
its a toy for children, op

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

just play the game you want to play. if you like sfv who cares what other people think? if you can have fun playing sfv you should consider yourself lucky and just play it

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't want to condone playing SFV, but if it's the game you really enjoy I don't see any reason to stop playing it over others. I play a game some would argue is worse than SFV and no amount of goons jumping into a pile to poo poo on it is gonna stop me from enjoying Android 17 rekka mixup simulator 2018. This life is too hard to stop doing things you enjoy because other people don't care for it.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Kilometers Davis posted:

I really enjoy playing a lot of bad games and I think a lot of the hate here is directed more to Capcom being a lovely company who is slighting their player-base than actually getting mad at SFV being lackluster. If you are personally comfortable with where your money is going and enjoy the game, we are neither the police or your priest, so do what you want.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

As long as you genuinely like something and aren't just trying to convince yourself you like something because of the time/money you've invested, I don't see any problem.

I think a lot of people in this thread and other places got annoyed at the "sunk cost fallacy" that a lot of SF4 players had when moving over to SFV. They would complain about SFV a bunch but never seemed to hate SFV enough to go back to SFIV or drop SF entirely and play a different game. It's one thing to justify forcing yourself to play SFV when you're Justin Wong and you've committed to making this your living; it's entirely another when your biggest win was 3rd at a local in New Brunswick.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i play loving eternal fighter zero in the year of our lord 2018

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Fighting EX Layer's confirmed for PC, it might be out by the end of this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSZknjSF6kc

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 27, 2018

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Thanks for the responses m’dudes

My thing isn’t necessarily people hate x thing so I have to as well. I never do that and fight the urge at every turn. It’s mostly me, a very not good but lifelong SF fan, wanting to play and get better at a game while hearing how you can’t even effectively play online past a certain level because it’s broken. Even looking up tutorials you can’t miss that and it gets in my head that I’m just getting better to inevitably realize it doesn’t matter because of some small but vital details I don’t notice at the beginner level.

gently caress it though I’m going to embrace it and play more often.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

finally

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Fighting EX Layer's confirmed for PC, it might be out by the end of this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSZknjSF6kc

gently caress yeah Arika! You're not dead just yet.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

Thanks for the responses m’dudes

My thing isn’t necessarily people hate x thing so I have to as well. I never do that and fight the urge at every turn. It’s mostly me, a very not good but lifelong SF fan, wanting to play and get better at a game while hearing how you can’t even effectively play online past a certain level because it’s broken. Even looking up tutorials you can’t miss that and it gets in my head that I’m just getting better to inevitably realize it doesn’t matter because of some small but vital details I don’t notice at the beginner level.

gently caress it though I’m going to embrace it and play more often.

im pretty sure that when you play fgs long enough you go through this very cycle with a lot of games. you like a game and play a game, and eventually get good enough at it to truly understand why its actually poo poo. and sometimes you still like the game, because its nice to play even though its bad. a lot of people most recently did this with dbfz

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There was some more FEXL news at TGS last week, too - the arcade version hits Nesica 2 in November, and the PS4 disc version comes out in December: https://www.amazon.co.jp/フ&%...;/dp/B07HH3K44H

I guess they're planning to have Terry ready by then.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Kilometers Davis posted:

For some reason, I really loving like SFV.

This reminds me, is it a bad thing if my favorite fighting game is Divekick? I honestly think it is the most well-designed fighting game ever made. We played it a ton when it game out but all my friends are "over it" now which is a shame because I can't imagine getting bored of it. It got rid of all the poo poo that sucks about fighting games, like "blocking" and "execution", and keeps all the great stuff, like "diving" and "kicking". But seriously, it distills everything down to reads, mind-games, and reactions. I don't think it gets enough credit. How is it regarded in this thread?

My other favorites are Bushido Blade, for similar reasons, and Tobal #1 / #2 / Ehrgeiz, because I have a boner for the single-player dungeon crawl modes (seriously, there needs to be more in this genre, I've resorted to playing Dungeon Fighter just to get my fighter/roguelike fix).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Zero VGS posted:

This reminds me, is it a bad thing if my favorite fighting game is Divekick? I honestly think it is the most well-designed fighting game ever made.

It is not a bad thing if you love Divekick.

It is a bad thing if you think it's the most weeks designed FG ever made.