Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
its too late, you said divekick is your fav

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Not good but intensely fun games chat: I bought JoJo: All Star Battle twice and if I went back in time I'd do it again

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

project justice on dc is one of my absolute faves

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Zero VGS posted:

Again, I paid $5 for Divekick which is an excellent gameplay experience, and they're asking $60 for SC6, so they gonna have to make up the difference with production values, polish, features and content.

I'm sure people like Tekken 7 the most but that's like saying people like Madden [this year] or FIFA [this year]. The bar is isn't set at bold innovations, it's set at "try not to make it not worse than last year, spending as little as you can get away with to do so". When I bought Tekken Tag for PS2 it felt like they were proud of it, while the recent games feel like there stuck going through the motions. That bowling game in Tekken Tag is still the best bowling videogame hands down.

Tekken 7 has bowling, too.

But then again, you bought Divekick for $5 and are convinced that it's the greatest FG of all-time, so I don't think there will be any game for you that would be 12x better and thus justify the $60 price tag.

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 28, 2018

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Super Street Fighter II Turbo is at least 12x better than Divekick and it costs $0 on Fightcade. Insane math on this one...

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

a simple yet engaging game you should try is called "Fighter's History Dynamite"

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I enjoyed TTT2 more than 7, but that might just be me. Then again, I prefer SFV to T7 as well, mostly because that game doesn't rely as much on juggles and wallsplats. The alternate outfits are also actual outfits and not poo poo stuck to the characters. Also I don't think I ever had a single smooth online battle in T7. Oh, and people sure were quick to complain about SFV's story mode, but at least it didn't have the droning reporter from T7, and it had an actual resolution. T7 was honestly a big let-down considering how long it took for it to be released on console.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 28, 2018

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Zero VGS posted:

I'm sure people like Tekken 7 the most but that's like saying people like Madden [this year] or FIFA [this year].

lmao no it's not you loon

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Renoistic posted:

I enjoyed TTT2 more than 7, but that might just be me. Then again, I prefer SFV to T7 as well, mostly because that game doesn't rely as much on juggles and wallsplats. The alternate outfits are also actual outfits and not poo poo stuck to the characters. Also I don't think I ever had a single smooth online battle in T7. Oh, and people sure were quick to complain about SFV's story mode, but at least it didn't have the droning reporter from T7, and it had an actual resolution. T7 was honestly a big let-down considering how long it took for it to be released on console.

this is all extremely just you

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Veib posted:

Nakoruru is popular because she's literally this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamato_nadeshiko
Uhh dude. She's very specifically not Yamato. She's Ainu. You know, who were nearly genocided by the Yamato.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

what the gently caress

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

quote:

whose kanji translate into English as "caressable child"
:gonk:

Poniard posted:

what the gently caress

anyway SC looks neat and i hope it's as good as mine and everyone's best nostalgic memories of the series, i'll definitely keep an eye on it and players' initial impressions once they get a bit of time to grind out the details of its strengths and pitfalls

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Uhh dude. She's very specifically not Yamato. She's Ainu. You know, who were nearly genocided by the Yamato.

lol

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Yardbomb posted:

Not good but intensely fun games chat: I bought JoJo: All Star Battle twice and if I went back in time I'd do it again

I'm sure if you buy enough you personally can bankroll the next lovely JoJo game CC2 makes

Renoistic posted:

And you're just an idiot.

Zero VGS posted:

I'm sure people like Tekken 7 the most but that's like saying people like Madden [this year] or FIFA [this year].

I'm not gonna poo poo on you like I did the two dudes above this part of the post or for liking Divekick, but this is not at all what it is like and Tekken 7 was a long desired game that people very much wanted and is an improvement in a multitude of ways upon 6 and a lot of other games in the franchise. I can't think of a fighting game franchise with as much care for how it develops, presents, and polishes their games than Tekken. Every game is a genuinely improved iteration that sets a new bar and T7 is absolutely standing above most fighting games right now as one of the best with stuff like Under Night In-Birth and Xrd right in that area.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
let me save zero vgs from posting bc his next one is gonna be about not buying XRD because there's no english dub

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
i bought divekick when it launched and i had never played another fighting game before because it sounded more approachable but i quickly realized they had actually put enough moving parts into the game so you'd still have to learn matchups and exact spacing. So it just kinda ended up feeling like the most intimidating parts of fighting games without any of the flashiness or (illusionary?) chance to have a turn and get a lucky comeback at some point.

Maybe i should give it another shot now that i've dipped in other titles of the genre for a few couple hundred hours, now that i kinda know the offensive/defensive/neutral phases of the genre and can tell what divekick is trying to do. But something about its style and sense of humor grates me more than skullgirls did, so it's not particularly high on that list.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

lol jeff bailey head get big, very funy

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Babylon Astronaut posted:

While she's Ainu, she absolutely fits the yamato nadeshiko feminine ideals (actually being yamato is not required, despite the name).

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
T7 port and story mode was a letdown and you can hold that. Game is good tho

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Renoistic posted:

Tekken doesn't "rely" on juggles and wallsplats, juggles and wallsplats are part of the reward you get for landing a big hit in a game with unbelievably more nuanced movement and neutral than sfv. Everything else you mentioned is baby casual bullshit that has nothing to do with the actual game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

i bought divekick when it launched and i had never played another fighting game before because it sounded more approachable but i quickly realized they had actually put enough moving parts into the game so you'd still have to learn matchups and exact spacing. So it just kinda ended up feeling like the most intimidating parts of fighting games without any of the flashiness or (illusionary?) chance to have a turn and get a lucky comeback at some point.

Maybe i should give it another shot now that i've dipped in other titles of the genre for a few couple hundred hours, now that i kinda know the offensive/defensive/neutral phases of the genre and can tell what divekick is trying to do. But something about its style and sense of humor grates me more than skullgirls did, so it's not particularly high on that list.

I feel like Divekick for all its in jokes and hilarity missed the point of its own concept. The original version with two mirror characters with the exact same skillset was like Nidhogg in being a pure expression of a fighting game. When it moved to having lots of characters and weird skills I feel like it got away from that.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Natural 20 posted:

I feel like Divekick for all its in jokes and hilarity missed the point of its own concept. The original version with two mirror characters with the exact same skillset was like Nidhogg in being a pure expression of a fighting game. When it moved to having lots of characters and weird skills I feel like it got away from that.

I agree. Divekick's release version was like Divekick 2. It's okay, but I really expected something without the in-jokes and gems and some of the more gimmicky characters. Though, on that last point I guess you can just not pick them, but that feels really close to No items, Fox Only, Final Destination.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SCVI beta starts in an hour. I hope there's a way to do player matches, even though there won't, and I hope you can play Local VS, which you probably also won't.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

In Training posted:

SCVI beta starts in an hour. I hope there's a way to do player matches, even though there won't, and I hope you can play Local VS, which you probably also won't.
According to streamers it actually came out an hour early, and apparently it's literally just ranked matchmaking as the only menu option. People have to look up move-lists on half finished wikis.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

SCVI looks sick. I loved the series until 4 wherein it got a little shaky and 5 was bullshit. 6 looks like a great return to form and with probably the best guest character since Link because god knows Geralt fits in much better than Ezio or loving Star Wars. I'm happy it has some fun new modes as well.

Captain Baal posted:

I'm not gonna poo poo on you like I did the two dudes above this part of the post or for liking Divekick, but this is not at all what it is like and Tekken 7 was a long desired game that people very much wanted and is an improvement in a multitude of ways upon 6 and a lot of other games in the franchise. I can't think of a fighting game franchise with as much care for how it develops, presents, and polishes their games than Tekken. Every game is a genuinely improved iteration that sets a new bar and T7 is absolutely standing above most fighting games right now as one of the best with stuff like Under Night In-Birth and Xrd right in that area.

I'm not even that huge of a Tekken fan and didn't play it until TTT2 and T6 but T7 is absolutely an incredible game that I would put alongside BBTag and Guilty Gear as the most technically satisfying in the genre. I love DBFZ too but that needs some serious balancing and changes.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
If your main focus is single player content and frills features then yeah T7 is gonna disappoint you, but you're not the primary audience for fighting games to begin with.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

inthesto posted:

If your main focus is single player content and frills features then yeah T7 is gonna disappoint you, but you're not the primary audience for fighting games to begin with.

Actually, they are. 95% of the people who buy FGs and keep the industry alive don't give a gently caress about competition

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

RoadCrewWorker posted:

According to streamers it actually came out an hour early, and apparently it's literally just ranked matchmaking as the only menu option. People have to look up move-lists on half finished wikis.

The SCVI trial today was originally announced as a network test, so I'm not all that surprised to hear it's limited to just the functionality which would test network performance. And that does match up with the description in the Playstation store, which lists ranked online as the only mode. Not including move-lists is a bit disappointing, though in general it's not hard to figure a good portion of that out through basic trial-and-error, especially if you've had almost any prior experience w/ the series.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

drat no Seung Mina in this test...QQ.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
SOUL EDGE! BE UNLEASHED!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This is just like playing the real game, I sit in queue in 10 minutes and it can't find a match.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

In Training posted:

This is just like playing the real game, I sit in queue in 10 minutes and it can't find a match.

I had to drop to 3 bars and all region mm and I'm getting hits every 2-3 minutes, although they aren't great (mostly euros and I'm in cali). Everyone (especially me) is a big scrub so far so no great loss and it's fun to wake up super with Nightmare and watch everyone run into my armor and die.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah I can only find matches that feel like complete dogshit so there's no real reason to play this beta

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Well I just 44K'd Kilik off the stage with Nightmare so I disagree (but yeah if you want good matches probably try later or just catch streams)

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 28, 2018

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I even set it to 4+ Local only and it still gives me 1 bar talims with 25f of lag

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hopefully it's just in this network test but not being able to see your opponents connection strength until after the match is done is a really bad idea.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

In Training posted:

Actually, they are. 95% of the people who buy FGs and keep the industry alive don't give a gently caress about competition

This. I play the game for a couple hours a week at most and compete in a local tournament once a month. And even then I spend way more time on FGs than most people I know. I do try to introduce Guilty Gear to the group but it's an uphill battle.

Anyway, the required time investment for me to get to the level I want in Tekken just wasn't worth it to me. Especially not with those loading times.... And even if the 'focus' isn't on juggles and wall splats a new player will spend most of their time being juggled. Each to their own but I just found the lack of control too frustrating. Games like GG let you burst once so you at least have a chance to rectify a screwup.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 28, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Zero VGS posted:

Again, I paid $5 for Divekick which is an excellent gameplay experience, and they're asking $60 for SC6, so they gonna have to make up the difference with production values, polish, features and content.

I'm sure people like Tekken 7 the most but that's like saying people like Madden [this year] or FIFA [this year]. The bar is isn't set at bold innovations, it's set at "try not to make it not worse than last year, spending as little as you can get away with to do so". When I bought Tekken Tag for PS2 it felt like they were proud of it, while the recent games feel like there stuck going through the motions. That bowling game in Tekken Tag is still the best bowling videogame hands down.

I feel like you should actually try T7 because it's... kinda exactly what you're talking about.

like, T4-T6, I'll give you them feeling like they were kinda going through the motions (my last Tekken game I deep-dived was 3 on the PS1 and I played 5:DR at a Dave and Buster's and picked Paul and, aside from deathfist being slightly less OP, it was like riding a loving bike). but T7 feels like they legit overhauled a lot of how the game works, while still feeling recognizably like Tekken. it's not only "not worse than last year," i'd go as far as saying it's the best Tekken since 3 and Tag.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I think it's fair to call T7 the best Tekken period, that game is rock solid. Obviously "best" is going to be a matter of opinion though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My ping on the test server isn’t too bad but I’m glad I’ll be playing this on a wired Ethernet connection when it releases on PC.