Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Guy Goodbody posted:

what if the next Zelda game was Link in that Senran Kagura game

Well people are thirsty for Link, so it might work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Guy Goodbody posted:

what if the next Zelda game was Link in that Senran Kagura game

Zelda is the girl.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oscar Wild posted:

Zelda is the girl.

I KNOW

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Holy poo poo. Galf NES cartridge is $45 bones.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Nthing the griping about getting into wifi portals on the Switch. They gotta give up on that front and plain put a "load browser" button in the wifi menu that only goes to Nintendo.com to set these off or whatever will help them sleep at night.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Why doesn't the switch have Hotline Miami? I want it to melt into solder. Also, the pig man should be in Smash.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I thought I wanted a Steam Box, but what I really needed was a Switch. Import my whole backlog, dawg.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Waltzing Along posted:

Holy poo poo. Galf NES cartridge is $45 bones.

That seems pretty reasonable to a new NES cartridge in 2018.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

SeANMcBAY posted:

That seems pretty reasonable to a new NES cartridge in 2018.
No.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there a good list of "my girlfriend isn't into video games, but I can't buy this thing without buying at least one game we can play together that will appeal to her" type games

Like, we own the board game Catan because that's one of the few games she will tolerate. Looking for the switch equivalent of that.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Hadlock posted:

Is there a good list of "my girlfriend isn't into video games, but I can't buy this thing without buying at least one game we can play together that will appeal to her" type games

Like, we own the board game Catan because that's one of the few games she will tolerate. Looking for the switch equivalent of that.

It is BONKERS they are re-releasing Kirby's Epic Yarn for the loving 3DS instead of the Switch because that would be my number one recommendation.

Mario Odyssey maybe, she can fully control the hat as player 2. Snipperclips would probably be a good co-op game.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I would say Snipperclips or Overcooked.

Mario Party?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Hadlock posted:

Mario Kart, Snipperclips, and Overcooked are all games my wife likes to frequent when she's in a gaming mood with me.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Snipperclips is totally that game

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Well akshully back in the day carts were $170

Hadlock posted:

Snipperclips. Don't gently caress with Overcooked; that game is designed to ruin relationships.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Hadlock posted:

Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes is a great 2 player coop game where you have to relay instructions from a printed manual to the person who's diffusing the bomb, without them looking at the bomb themselves. It's best played in VR, but having it on Switch works just fine

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Isn't Catan coming to Switch at some point

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Knorth posted:

Isn't Catan coming to Switch at some point

Catan, Carcassonne and a few others.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I wanna invent a boardgame where you play as cain and abel and call it Carcass One

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Puyo Puyo Tetris is a good girlfriend game if you play on the same team.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Heath posted:

Puyo Puyo Tetris is a good girlfriend game if you play on the same team.

Why would it be worse if your girlfriend was on a different team?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm the girlfriend in the relationship and I'm better than the boyfriend so he doesn't have to worry about beating a girl when he's on the other team :evilbuddy:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The drift on my right Joycon stick is getting really obnoxious. I've tried going at it with a toothbrush, and that seemed to reduce it a bit, temporarily. IS there any permanent solution? If I replace it am I gonna have the same problem in a year?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

RZA Encryption posted:

Why would it be worse if your girlfriend was on a different team?

If she's not much of a gamer, getting curbstomped and kicked out of the game early isn't a whole lot of fun. If you're on the same team you're not sending garbage blocks her way and it works better to acclimate someone who maybe hasn't got that built in puzzle game skill that most people who have been playing games regularly do. I usually do teams with people who are new to it so that they don't get owned by me being experienced at it and can get to know it, then move on to solos once they've got the flow of the game down.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Guy Goodbody posted:

The drift on my right Joycon stick is getting really obnoxious. I've tried going at it with a toothbrush, and that seemed to reduce it a bit, temporarily. IS there any permanent solution? If I replace it am I gonna have the same problem in a year?

I’ve had it with both joycons from launch and I had to replace them eventually even after trying everything. I think some early joycons just have issues, I haven’t had any issues since on my replacement ones after the same amount of use.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
after thousands of direct and online and bowsette posts i have finally caught up

excited to play portable dragon ball fighterz tomorrow with my gf

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ignite Memories posted:

I wanna invent a boardgame where you play as cain and abel and call it Carcass One

mother!: The Telltale Series

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Hadlock posted:

Snipperclips and then LOVERS in a dangerous space time.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Count me in as another person who didn't "get" Monster Hunter until Gen U. I bought 4 for the 3DS at the urging of a friend but I stopped playing early in because it confused me, I thought it was ugly, and I hated not having camera controls. Gen U fixes most of that--its still pretty goddamn confusing to a newcomer, but I've been able to muddle through with Google.

Trying out different weapon types also helped (twin blades really clicked with me) but I tried out prowler mode this evening because of the thread and yeah, that's a great beginner friendly way to play. No need to worry about potions or axes or any of that, just make sure that your cat has healing horn and go to town.

Actually, on that note: I did kind of gently caress up by doing most of the one star quests as a hunter and then trying to take on the final one star Great Maccao quest as a level 1 prowler. I thought it would be fine because I was able to kick the arena tutorial Great Maccao's rear end with some help from healing horn... but didn't realize until I was mid-quest that my cat didn't actually have that ability yet (the game was just letting me borrow it for the tutorial). I fainted a couple times but managed to defeat that fucker by the skin of my paws. And then proceeded to level up a bunch, unlocking Healing Horn in the process :v:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Prowler is considered the 13th weapon but there is a very rich vein there.

Your prowler type dictates a lot and then you can get deep into skill customization/weapon type.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Ultimate Chicken Horse is turning out to be a good intro game for non game players

All my friends like it even the people who usually pass on video games

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I want to get Ultimate Chicken Horse but it looks so small.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It kicks as much rear end as I'd hoped. It does sometimes lag for an instant during gameplay though.

Great party game.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I am not digging The Messenger anymore now that it switched from a traditional Ninja Gaiden type love letter to a Metroidvania. The levels and enemies are just not interesting enough to go back through these levels again to figure out where to go.

Does it get better? I just really loved the first part of the game a ton, so this is a disappointment

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Astro7x posted:

I am not digging The Messenger anymore now that it switched from a traditional Ninja Gaiden type love letter to a Metroidvania. The levels and enemies are just not interesting enough to go back through these levels again to figure out where to go.

Does it get better? I just really loved the first part of the game a ton, so this is a disappointment

Kinda. After a lot of bad backtracking (through _every_ stage you've already seen) a new stage gets unlocked. Whether it's worth the effort or not is very YMMV.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Electronics cleaning fluid under the "hood" of the stick worked for me. Now my other joycon started drifting instead, hope it works there too.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Beastie posted:

I want to get Ultimate Chicken Horse but it looks so small.

You're telling me ultimate chicken horse is a brain surgeon, but it can't break the 5' barrier?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Astro7x posted:

When it becomes a metroidvania there's a lot of mindless unfun backtracking to slog through that is utter garbage. But there's 3 unique levels that are sprinkled in there that range from okay to simply good, 1 shoot-em-up level that's really loving boring and the final level which is pretty great in my opinion.

The tokens get you a windmill ninja star and are not worth it so don't bother with the padding as it'll drain whatever enjoyment you have out.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
One game I don't see mentioned for co-op much is pixel junk monsters 2. Now they have patched the camera it's a great little 2 player game. Very chill to play and the art style is beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Alwa's Awakening has got some fuckin nerve keeping a death counter when every other screen has bullshit instant kills and pixel perfect jumps

• Locked thread