Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

He's one of the biggest Hoteps around.

I dont love these hoteps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Slutitution posted:

The unnerving part is how much traffic (and support?) his batshit tweets get.

It looks like he just got his blue check taken away for all the loving crazy poo poo he said today. It's a start.

And gently caress people like this rear end in a top hat, Cernovich, and Alex Jones. I used to consider myself a free speech "absolutist," but it's quite obvious lately that these motherfuckers will only get more popular and dangerous if de-platforming actions aren't taken against them.

How did the blue check come to mean anything besides verified account?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Sodomy Hussein posted:

How did tulip bulbs become to mean anything other than tulip bulbs during the Tulip Mania?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Samovar posted:

How did tulip bulbs become to mean anything other than tulip bulbs during the Tulip Mania?
because... of hoteps?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Verified accounts have extra privileges for ~engagement~ stuff and afaik verified tweets are shown more often.

Plus twitter deliberately plays up the exclusivity while still making exceptions from their stated rules, like the "avatar must be your fave" rule (dunno if that is still in effect because lol it's a black box run by a white supremacist) so they become valuable among the broke-brained permanently online. Cf Laura Loomer who's having a months-long meltdown over losing her checkmark and Baked Alaska disappearing into an In-n-Out parking lot void on losing his.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Sep 27, 2018

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sodomy Hussein posted:

It doesn't, but its removal is usually seen as a prerequisite for banning.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sarah-hyland-sexual-assault-twitter-christine-blasey-ford_us_5bad17eee4b0b4d308d0e35f

Maybe this isn't the proper thread for this but seeing thing right when I wake up makes me worried about my niece. She is currently 3 years old and I wonder how the hell she can be happy in a world like this. My brother and I live in separate countries (he and his family live in Norway though they keep toying with the idea of returning to Portugal, for some unfathomable reason) and we hardly talk and I have the feeling he's not the sort of person to take this subject seriously (last time we had a family gathering he was annoyed at the increasing amount of LGBT people in the media and claimed this was the work of the "gay lobby"). What should I do ? Sometime I wonder if the only hope for her is her going through some Hanna esque warrior training from childhood.

(I personally have already vowed to never have children because I don't want to Doom anyone to hellworld)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have a question: it's not about the culture of Hollywood but it's to do with the film-making culture of another country, specifically France. Obviously France in general and the French film industry have their own #MeToo movement or equivalents, but earlier in the year I read a few news articles which described a kind of pushback against it occurring in French film which, it seems to me, is less pronounced elsewhere. Catherine Deneuve got in some controversy for such comments, for instance.

Various reasons were posited; the idea that #MeToo is considered "puritanical" in some parts of Europe, for instance; but the one that most interested me was a passing comment in a Deadline column about how it is partly a consequence of French cinema's (and, I suppose, European film in general) fixation on auteur theory; this idea that the director is the all-powerful visionary and their personal indiscretions should be tolerated even if they are being accused of rape or sexual assault, because that "warts and all" sensibility is part of what makes them great artists.

I don't know if that's an especially credible argument or not; that's what I'm curious about. In Hollywood, protecting people who prey on others seems to be more of a product of the corporate structures of most of the big production companies and studios; in other places, is there a sort of misguided "artistic" motivation to it? I certainly get that impression with, say, someone like Polanski.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The "gay lobby" sounds like a place they make you wait while your room at the homosexual hotel is being prepared. I bet that place is awesome.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Wheat Loaf posted:

I have a question: it's not about the culture of Hollywood but it's to do with the film-making culture of another country, specifically France. Obviously France in general and the French film industry have their own #MeToo movement or equivalents, but earlier in the year I read a few news articles which described a kind of pushback against it occurring in French film which, it seems to me, is less pronounced elsewhere. Catherine Deneuve got in some controversy for such comments, for instance.

Various reasons were posited; the idea that #MeToo is considered "puritanical" in some parts of Europe, for instance; but the one that most interested me was a passing comment in a Deadline column about how it is partly a consequence of French cinema's (and, I suppose, European film in general) fixation on auteur theory; this idea that the director is the all-powerful visionary and their personal indiscretions should be tolerated even if they are being accused of rape or sexual assault, because that "warts and all" sensibility is part of what makes them great artists.

I don't know if that's an especially credible argument or not; that's what I'm curious about. In Hollywood, protecting people who prey on others seems to be more of a product of the corporate structures of most of the big production companies and studios; in other places, is there a sort of misguided "artistic" motivation to it? I certainly get that impression with, say, someone like Polanski.

That mirrors the sense I've gotten of it from reading about the Danish industry here. See Peter Aalbæk and his defenders in particular, who treat sexual assault as just "part of the game" and espouse a very c'est la vie attitude. Can't make an artistic omelet without breaking a few sexy eggs

https://politiken.dk/kultur/art6202316/Former-Zentropa-employees-expose-system-of-degradation-and-sexual-harassment

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Come the gently caress on
https://twitter.com/vanityfair/status/1045775167320981504?s=21

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Vous moi accusez?!

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Is it possible to tactically nuke

a person

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Why did Charles have to kill Sharon Tate instead of this guy?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Fart City posted:

Is it possible to tactically nuke

a person

Like, Putin-style? Or do you actually want him to explode?

The former: da, is possible.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Honestly don't even know why I'm surprised

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

PT6A posted:

Like, Putin-style? Or do you actually want him to explode?

The former: da, is possible.

The latter: da, is tricky.. but possible.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Slutitution posted:

Why did Charles have to kill Sharon Tate instead of this guy?

Ironically, because he was in Europe at the time

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Polanski is like the ultimate example of what I mentioned earlier; there are people who honestly seem to believe that statutory rape is just the price of great artistry or something.

In any case, Polanski's case is strange to me because I can't understand why so many people apologised for him for so long and then seemed to turn on him almost overnight (to be clear: they should never have been on his side in the first place).It's not just a case of the Academy giving him an Oscar; the Academy represents the Hollywood establishment and we know they're mostly rotten; it's the fact that Harrison Ford personally delivered his Oscar to him and then Alec Baldwin went over did that really glowing interview with him.

Or, remember that petition that went around 10 years ago demanding that he should be released immediately? People like Whoopi Goldberg, Tilda Swinton, Asia Argento, Jonathan Demme and Martin Scorsese - all people who I'd have thought would "know better" - put their names on that. I know Natalie Portman later expressed regret for signing it because she didn't understand the case at the time (and I know that Emma Thompson initially put her name down but asked to be removed shortly afterwards) but I'm not sure if anyone else has.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Roman Polanski is 85. My uncle just died of a heart attack at 71 despite being incredibly healthy and working out all the time. He even died at the exercise machine at the gym.

What I'm saying is: what does it take to kill a motherfucker?

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

chitoryu12 posted:

What I'm saying is: what does it take to kill a motherfucker?

I never tried it. You?

And sorry about your uncle, my dude.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Evil is a powerful preservative.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Evil people age horribly but live seemingly forever. It's basically the Dark Side.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

here's a series of dumb thoughts:
-- evil people dont care about others and thus become rich more easily
-- A: rich people can afford a ridiculous presence in the media like we give a gently caress about them
-- B: rich people can afford health care past the point where it makes sense
-- gross evil people are in the media all the time and i wish they would stop please

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's also an issue in that the French feminism movement can be... questionable at times, and some of their reaction to #metoo has been interesting to say the least.

I mean, it's not that surprising that these places were welcoming of Polanski after he went on the run (and continued to enjoy his particular lifestyle because hey, it's what the Europeans do).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DrVenkman posted:

There's also an issue in that the French feminism movement can be... questionable at times, and some of their reaction to #metoo has been interesting to say the least.

I'm not really familiar with the French feminist movement - how would you elaborate?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Remember a while ago when it was a big politics tabloid reveal that the French president had a mistress.. I think Zarkozy or maybe Hollande but it really doesn't matter because it later turned out that like 90% of the adult French population actively has a mistress/lover so its "big whoop".

its gauche to get caught tho

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't really follow French news. I know the current president's wife is about 20 years older than him and people thought it was a bit of a novelty, and wasn't there one who had to quit because he assaulted a maid in a hotel?

Regardless, I'm not sure whether that points to some particular trend in French feminism. Isn't the most prominent woman in French politics the one who's like their version of Nigel Farage?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ya the age discrepancy is usually the other way around. Good for them.

But as you said, Strauss-Kahn was head of the IMF until he raped a maid in NY. Then the also documented rapist gerard depardieu plays him in a film, in that situation, while being as fat as him. There is such a thing as "acting" too far. It's autoparodical.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
What everybody needs to remember about the Polanski case is that there was no loving internet. Now it’s trivial to look up the facts of the case, but for the longest time people just repeated vaguely-remembered poo poo they heard someplace.

Hell, I remember when in was in high school (pre-common-internet) somebody laying out the ‘facts’ of the case for me. Stuff like it was consensual, it’s just that her mom was mad, he thought she was an adult, blah blah blah blah. I’m curious where these ‘facts’ came from, but if a high school kid in Indiana is getting this interpretation I’m not surprised if a bunch of actors already primed to disbelieve the press heard the same thing.

Polanski got the Oscar in 2003, most people were not Extremely Online then, I don’t think that happened for most people until about 2008-2010. Which is around the time people started backing out of support for the guy.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah that's fair. I for one didn't hear about Polanski being a rapist until maybe I was 10-15? around 1990 anyway.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DrVenkman posted:

AFAIK, European feminist movements in general can be a bit guarded vis-a-vis the American feminist movement, because the latter effectively rewrites history. Not purposefully, it's just that the internet has given the American feminist movement as much cultural power as American pop culture - and thus young feminists in Europe are taught a history of feminism that's just downright false within their own context. Basically leading the younger generation to lash out at their older compatriots for poo poo they had no part in at all.* Obviously none of that actually justifies defending this poo poo, it's more a thing to keep in mind if you get mystified by the stuff coming out of non-American movements in general.

*I wouldn't be surprised if this was true for non-American movements in general, though it seems like a it'd be a bigger issue in more culturally assimilated countries.

DrVenkman posted:

I mean, it's not that surprising that these places were welcoming of Polanski after he went on the run (and continued to enjoy his particular lifestyle because hey, it's what the Europeans do).
Which countries have actually been welcoming of Polanski? Isn't it just France? Which is at least half about standing up to America, some stupid chauvinist beef rather than anything else.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Yeah, but when that results in you sticking up for a scumbag who drugged and raped an underage girl, you may want to rethink your priorities. I know I’m preaching to the choir, but still.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't really follow French news. I know the current president's wife is about 20 years older than him and people thought it was a bit of a novelty, and wasn't there one who had to quit because he assaulted a maid in a hotel?

Regardless, I'm not sure whether that points to some particular trend in French feminism. Isn't the most prominent woman in French politics the one who's like their version of Nigel Farage?

that was the head of the imf, dominique strauss kahn. He wasn't president but at the time he was the frontrunner for the presidential election in the polls (that was before his candidacy was even confirmed so it could have been a much bigger shitshow somehow)

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I guess it's to the French's credit that they stopped supporting a presidential candidate once he was revealed to be a sexual harrasser.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kurtofan posted:

that was the head of the imf, dominique strauss kahn. He wasn't president but at the time he was the frontrunner for the presidential election in the polls (that was before his candidacy was even confirmed so it could have been a much bigger shitshow somehow)

Right, I see. Was he expected to run in the most recent election or the one before it?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

'Fuller House' star Jodie Sweetin reveals childhood sexual assault after Christine Blasey Ford testimony
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment...-135352679.html

Busy Philipps breaks her silence about rape during Christine Blasey Ford hearing: 'Today is the day we are silent no more'
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/busy-philipps-breaks-silence-rape-christine-blasey-ford-hearing-today-day-silent-no-164244292.html

Alyssa Milano shares powerful #whyididntreport essay about her sexual assault
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/alyssa-milano-shares-powerful-whyididntreport-essay-sexual-assault-174846572.html

Sarah Hyland reveals she was sexually assaulted by a friend in high school: 'I thought no one would believe me'
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/sarah-hyland-reveals-sexually-assaulted-friend-high-school-thought-no-one-believe-202636683.html

'I have seen men cry like Kavanaugh': Ellen Barkin says Brett Kavanaugh's testimony reminded her of the words of her own rapist
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment...-204644906.html

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I’d be careful about holding up America’s standards on sexual assault cases and treatment of women while criticising others. Stones in glass houses and all.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vagabundo posted:

Yeah, but when that results in you sticking up for a scumbag who drugged and raped an underage girl, you may want to rethink your priorities. I know I’m preaching to the choir, but still.

it's a bit more complex than that. France doesn't extradite to the US, period, because they're not okay with the US having the death penalty. Polanski's charges are in the US, so their response to the idea of extraditing him has been "gently caress no, abolish the death penalty you assholes."

like, they're not actively trying to defend pedophiles, they're trying to fight the death penalty, and it turns out the one card in their hand is a pedophile. if we got rid of it on a federal level, Polanski would likely be standing trial in the US within days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
edit: Wrong thread, yikes!