Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I've been trying to finish off Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon to chip away at my backlog, and holy poo poo is this library level frustrating. The conveyor belts and the floating books together is some devious poo poo. I kept losing characters to it until I just said gently caress it and burned all my mana just blowing them away with whatever my alchemist had equipped.

It's also extremely unintuitive in that jumping straight up on a conveyor belt immediately kills any sideways momentum you had, and also you pretty much have to do jump attacks or else you'll slide off a belt while attacking.

It's like, you're really fighting the lovely NES-style controls more than the enemies themselves. Hopefully I'll be done with this game soon. I know it has some new game+ stuff but I don't even care at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Keep in mind that hitting a purple lantern with Gebel always drops a large magic potion, and that you can cast the fire shield with the alchemist and change to another, more mobile character and you keep the shield. The chain whip is a really underrated weapon and has a much wider hitbox than it appears to.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Heath posted:

Alwa's Awakening has got some fuckin nerve keeping a death counter when every other screen has bullshit instant kills and pixel perfect jumps

I got introduced to that on the first screen because I went left so from the start I had no cause to care about it.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Guy Goodbody posted:

The drift on my right Joycon stick is getting really obnoxious. I've tried going at it with a toothbrush, and that seemed to reduce it a bit, temporarily. IS there any permanent solution? If I replace it am I gonna have the same problem in a year?
You can buy just the stick on ebay for $10-$12. To me that's more appealing than $35-$40 used or $49.99 new for an entire new joy con. Obviously doing your own replacement will void the warranty but I'd rather do that in minutes than wait on Nintendo or pay more. A 1.5m triwing screwdriver is required.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Guy Goodbody posted:

The drift on my right Joycon stick is getting really obnoxious. I've tried going at it with a toothbrush, and that seemed to reduce it a bit, temporarily. IS there any permanent solution? If I replace it am I gonna have the same problem in a year?

Contact cleaner (mine is called WD40, I dunno if that's standard or something) fixed it for me. Just spray it in there. Compressed air didn't work but it worked for some other folks. I would think a toothbrush would just damage it long term.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Nep-Nep posted:

I got introduced to that on the first screen because I went left so from the start I had no cause to care about it.

I tried to swim on that first screen. Zoe is good at whacking things and bounding but not so good at swimming...

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Argue posted:

Contact cleaner (mine is called WD40, I dunno if that's standard or something) fixed it for me. Just spray it in there. Compressed air didn't work but it worked for some other folks. I would think a toothbrush would just damage it long term.

WD-40 is the company that made your contact cleaner. They also make WD-40, which you definitely don't want to spray into your electronics (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I dunno my dad swears by it for everything lol

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qifJbdpxnD8

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I bought contact cleaner a bit ago and it works I guess. My sets weren't drifting, but sticking and it helped them out.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I miss Harry Goz

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I was just watching a dev video for Rogue Galaxy Outlaw, a "casual" space exploration game similar to Freelancer. At the end I found it a bit surprising that the guy mentioned that Switch is one of the launch platforms early next year. Then again space games that aren't Star Citizen usually aren't that demanding. Looks cool at any rate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS5PR5locpU&t=4s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfQetVBJrQI

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lodin posted:

I was just watching a dev video for Rogue Galaxy Outlaw, a "casual" space exploration game similar to Freelancer. At the end I found it a bit surprising that the guy mentioned that Switch is one of the launch platforms early next year. Then again space games that aren't Star Citizen usually aren't that demanding. Looks cool at any rate.

I think calling Star Citizen a game is going a bit too far

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looks exactly like freelancer though. Might finally convince my friend to buy a switch.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

hey I just figured out Yoshi can spindash in Odyssey
https://twitter.com/human1123581321/status/1045632494702194688

-edit
thanks ↓

.TakaM fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Sep 28, 2018

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

.TakaM posted:

hey I just figured out Yoshi can spindash in Odyssey
https://twitter.com/human1123581321/status/1045632494702194688

(but I can't figure out how to post a twitter video)
This account's Tweets are protected.
Only confirmed followers have access to @human1123581321's Tweets and complete profile. Click the "Follow" button to send a follow request.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4mH6lXetO4

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dropbear posted:

Electronics cleaning fluid under the "hood" of the stick worked for me. Now my other joycon started drifting instead, hope it works there too.

I'll give that a try.

I can't believe it's the year 2018 and still Nintendo has never made a good controller.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'll give that a try.

I can't believe it's the year 2018 and still Nintendo has never made a good controller.

Some people are going to come after you, Guy. They're going to post gamecube and N64 controllers at you.

Do not listen to them, they are blinded by nostalgia and want to bring you down with them. Stay true.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

Uh, think again :rolleyes:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Not Operator posted:

Some people are going to come after you, Guy. They're going to post gamecube and N64 controllers at you.

Do not listen to them, they are blinded by nostalgia and want to bring you down with them. Stay true.

SNES controller is god-tier (for 8/16 bit games)

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
The Wavebird was the platonic ideal of controllers

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

I dunno my dad swears by it for everything lol

WD-40 is good at temporarily displacing water and freeing up stuck parts, but dries into a hosed up, sticky mess. Break-Free CLP is the spray that actually does the things that people seem to think that WD-40 does.

This has been my angry WD-40 trigger post.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I actually liked the 2nd half of The Messenger that everyone always complains about, but I've also got the brain disease where if I see a map that is unfilled I have go to through and find every secret room.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
deoxit is the only thing I let touch my tender electrons but the sticks are really pots not encoders? :wtc:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Startyde posted:

deoxit is the only thing I let touch my tender electrons but the sticks are really pots not encoders? :wtc:

what the gently caress nintendo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Toebone posted:

The Wavebird was the platonic ideal of controllers

I'm honestly surprised Nintendo hasn't just made an updated Wavebird. Add a ZL button, and the +/- buttons, and you'd have everyone happy.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
As soon as someone announces a wireless Switch-compatible GameCube style controller I'll throw money at them. Not even just for Smash, I just really love the button layout. I've seen photos of ones Power A is supposedly making (in addition to the wired ones) but they haven't officially announced them.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Gamecube controllers felt horrible to hold

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have small hands and I think the GameCube controllers feel fine.

[Edit: I also think the Joycon feel better without the wrist straps]

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Remake the Virtual Boy controller.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://youtube.com/watch?v=qifJbdpxnD8

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Indeed this is why they are still producing them three console generations later :rolleye:

I get people have different preferences but I have to imagine you have claw hands or something if you don't like the Gamecube controller. I mean, it's not the best for every genre, but it's not uncomfortable

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

"JUST TO BE CLEAR..... I was paid to do this okay?!"

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

They’re probably the most comfortable controllers for me.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The shoulder/trigger buttons on a GC controller are rear end.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

They’re the only good analog triggers.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

American McGay posted:

The shoulder/trigger buttons on a GC controller are rear end.

Indeed, it feels great to squeeze rear end

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

GC controller is nice but all the buttons are in weird places. I like that most controllers across platforms have the same arrangement now. Also the C stick should just be a regular stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC the 'fight pad' controllers for the Switch and Wii U do have the C stick be a regular stick.

• Locked thread