Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
A german company released a TA07 carbon chassis.

.... I now have one in the mail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Let's see...

2x Tamiya TRF 415 MSXs in a box
1x early 80s Tamiya Sand Scorcher
1x reissue Tamiya Sand Scorcher unbuilt in a box
1x reissue Tamiya Rough Rider
1x Team Associated SC10 4x4
2x Tamiya M03
1x Tamiya M05
1x Tamiya M07
1x Xray T4 2018

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

And a HongKong company is selling TA07 aluminum bulkheads. Between that german chassis, and the aluminum bulkheads.. can we do a budget 419? Well, I'll find out very soon.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I have:

A: Too little impulse control?
B: Too much spare dollars?
C: The new Vanquish VS4-10 Origin

I got through building the chassis this weekend. Electronics will be mounted tonight. Body will be sprayed some time this week? Still gaining inspiration

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Congrats on Xray taking out the 1/12th, F1 and ITSC 1/10th electric on road world titles in South Africa over the past week and weekend.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

All 20 registered racers...

Speaking of r/c cars. I completed my test stand. And I completed half of the accessories. Last night, I threw two chassis on the stand, and found measurable differences in longitudinal stiffness. Maybe this weekend I'll get the torque arm setup, so I can do torsional stiffness.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

http://www.davesmotors.com/Axial-AX31030-Big-Bore-Shock-Cap-Parts-16mm.html in stock. If "the whole thing is tweaked" then it is possible the shock shaft got a little bent. We have those too: http://www.davesmotors.com/Axial-AX31081-Ti-Nitride-Coated-Shock-Shaft-4x83mm-2-.html

There are not really any upgrades, and I have not looked to see if any other shocks fit the YXL. The stock units work really quite good so I would just rebuild. We have 1st class (standard) shipping to Canada. Canada post is the worst and we have seen anything from ~7 days for delivery to 6 weeks. Express shipping is 1-2 days for delivery. I am not a pro at Canada import laws but generally under $100 USD value doesn't get dinged for customs import fees.

I took a better look at the shock. It seems fine on it's own, just the top of that cap where the little mounting bolt goes through is sheared off. Will I need to buy some oil as well or if I keep it upright should I be good? Anything else I might need?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

slidebite posted:

I took a better look at the shock. It seems fine on it's own, just the top of that cap where the little mounting bolt goes through is sheared off. Will I need to buy some oil as well or if I keep it upright should I be good? Anything else I might need?

Totally late on replying but definitely get some new shock oil and rebuild both shocks at the same time. Stock oil weight in the rear was 10 weight. I would go to 15 or 20 weight, it is a little light on the rear.

Content I have finished my Origin VS4-10 including painting. It has been the most satisfying build I have ever done. The tolerances are unreal, and the finished product is art in motion. I took it out for the first time this weekend and didn't do major crawling but scooted around with it while I took the family on a small hike.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Well, it's been a while since I just went to the track and tested stuff.

A typical race day, gets me 70-100 laps, and... I'll try to get more runs before and after racing. By the end, my brain hurts, and really it's not "practice" after racing.

In a massive change from my usual, I dropped by the track, just to turn laps, and adjust cars. 225 laps later...

My TA07 got some big upgrades over the last few weeks. It got Eagle Racing aluminum bulkheads, and a PSM carbon chassis. Between the two, the car looks a lot like a "real" touring car. The TA07 had a bunch of option parts available for it, and the vast majority of them stiffen the chassis up. Well the PSM chassis, feels a lot like a fully optioned TA07. With a couple side benefits, first, the car is easier to work on, I now have 4 inner bulkhead pivot locations, and I have more chassis side clearance.

Rctech provided some advice for me, and my setup of the FF03. I had been running my shorty battery in the rear of the chassis to even out the weight distribution. Turns out, that's ~exactly the wrong thing to do~. I pushed the battery up front, and the car picked up something like a full second a lap. It's also a lot faster than the TA07 with the same turn motor in it. It's raceable now. I like it! And it's something like 100g under race weight.

I put a whole bunch more time in with the Sakura XI ver.Nu. It's roughly the same speed as the TA07. I think this says something good about the Sakura XI.

It's not really news, but the "new to me" T4, ran just like a T4 is supposed to run. I found half a second of lap time via practice with that car over the day.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Because reddit was f'n useless. I come to you.

I vaguely want to do a detailed car body. Lets start with a "semi scale interior" and lights.

What's a good, or what are good, ways to do light buckets? Who's interior kit is a good one to start with? What are the most complete (car) body sets I could look into?

Since i'm asking about.. "high effort" bodies. What are the resources to look at if I want to do things like, opening doors, and hoods. And doing that in lexan... seems scary. How do you build up the body so it's a "usable" body afterwords. Or is it a "you dont".

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I think it's a solid "you don't" if you're wanting to stick with Lexan. If you're wanting to go hard core scale body, you'll want to go with Polystyrene. Same stuff that regular plastic model cars are made of. I know that Tamiya offers some of their CC01 bodies in PS and those are a good jumping off point for a lot of scale crawler guys. You can chop them up, scratch-build stuff with PS sheets and sticks and whatnot. Tamiya's got some sweet light kits and controllers, but I don't know about buckets. You'd probably have to build something yourself. As far as 1/10 scale PS car bodies... I think you're in for quite a hunt there.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Nerobro posted:

Because reddit was f'n useless. I come to you.

I vaguely want to do a detailed car body. Lets start with a "semi scale interior" and lights.

What's a good, or what are good, ways to do light buckets? Who's interior kit is a good one to start with? What are the most complete (car) body sets I could look into?

Since i'm asking about.. "high effort" bodies. What are the resources to look at if I want to do things like, opening doors, and hoods. And doing that in lexan... seems scary. How do you build up the body so it's a "usable" body afterwords. Or is it a "you dont".

http://www.scalebuildersguild.com/

This is probably going to be your best source of info.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Does anyone make good (price not really important) power/signal interconnects for scale bodies? I want something with like a dozen pins so I don't have to gently caress with all the connectors when I need to do maintenance.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I have been getting out quite a bit with my new Origin. It has been super cold this last week but on Sunday I was able to sneak out with the kids for a short hike. As you can see from the mountains in the background there was no shortage of scenery offered by the Wasatch mountains. I am seriously loving the Vanquish truck though. It performs so well that I find myself just expecting it to climb over/through/out of everything. (phone pic because I didn't take my DSLR out)

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

So... I went racing saturday. And the results were pretty good. I won one heat race. And I (should have) won the B-main in VTA.

... the timing system f'd up royally for the B-Main, and I think I lost a lap. I still finished only 2 seconds behind first.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
That's awesome!

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Was reading through this thread yesterday and it inspired me to dig my crawler out and let my 4 year old give it a try. He did pretty well.

https://youtu.be/nrlsTtlt3t4

He has an old beater but it has a small battery and only lasted about 15 minutes. When it died he was crushed since this was the first time we crawled in over a year so I felt bad and let him try mine out (scx10 Wrangler). It has a lot more power and speed than his so it took some getting used to, especially reverse. Thinking about getting him an scx10 ii for Christmas.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

wandler20 posted:

Was reading through this thread yesterday and it inspired me to dig my crawler out and let my 4 year old give it a try. He did pretty well.

https://youtu.be/nrlsTtlt3t4

He has an old beater but it has a small battery and only lasted about 15 minutes. When it died he was crushed since this was the first time we crawled in over a year so I felt bad and let him try mine out (scx10 Wrangler). It has a lot more power and speed than his so it took some getting used to, especially reverse. Thinking about getting him an scx10 ii for Christmas.
That's awesome! Our 4.5yo has a scx10.2 (the red unlimited) with a lighting mods and nothing else and loves it. I've recently taken off the throttle restrictor too, and stoppies are his new favorite thing. He's getting a light bar for xmas because more lights = better, OBVIOUSLY

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

evil_bunnY posted:

That's awesome! Our 4.5yo has a scx10.2 (the red unlimited) with a lighting mods and nothing else and loves it. I've recently taken off the throttle restrictor too, and stoppies are his new favorite thing. He's getting a light bar for xmas because more lights = better, OBVIOUSLY

Excellent! That's the exact one I'm getting him. I'll have to check into some cool mods down the line.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I can heartily recommend any kind of lighting setup, along with any scale detail that'll make it resemble an actual fire vehicle. I'm a contrarian and I've taught him to use a stick radio, but having free channels to control lights instantly improves any vehicle by a factor of on bazillion. Either that or have switches he can reach to control them.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Are there any good 1/16 scale on-road R/C cars out there? Something roughly along the lines of this:

https://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/7305-2013

...except actually available.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Nerobro posted:

So... I went racing saturday. And the results were pretty good. I won one heat race. And I (should have) won the B-main in VTA.

... the timing system f'd up royally for the B-Main, and I think I lost a lap. I still finished only 2 seconds behind first.

Congratulations!

I got BQ'd (top spot in B Finals, unlike TQing ;) ) at a big touring car champs a couple of weekends ago, and finished second as the car felt like poo poo halfway through each final run.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Cockmaster posted:

Are there any good 1/16 scale on-road R/C cars out there? Something roughly along the lines of this:

https://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/7305-2013

...except actually available.

Sadly, once you get under 1/10 scale, options get limited really fast. There's "a little" stuff at 1/14scale. There's some sedan bodies for 1/12 scale. But then you make the jump down to 1/28 and 1/27 scale. There's a lot at that size. FWD, RWD, Pan car, independent suspension, off road, on road, etc... There's a bunch of 1/24 scale stuff too.

You Am I posted:

Congratulations!

I got BQ'd (top spot in B Finals, unlike TQing ;) ) at a big touring car champs a couple of weekends ago, and finished second as the car felt like poo poo halfway through each final run.

Thanks!

The "heat race" was a USGT class run, where the other guy lost his battery. He almost caught me after getting his car going again. Hah. I DQ'd the USGT main.

I need to figure out what my path in USGT is going to be. I have a FF chassis, that I'm trying to make competent at USGT. I think that may end up being a failure. But I am having fun trying.

If there wasn't the JConcepts carpet race this weekend, I'd be racing this weekend too.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Do there exist street tires that fit the 1/16 Traxxas Slash? I've heard of people putting them on the 1/16 E-Revo, but the Slash suspension geometry appears to be better suited for on-road cornering.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
When I was in Japan, I picked up a Midnight Pumpkin for my Godson - a couple of evenings help from me and dad, and it's almost ready. :3:

He had a massive grin when he realised how big the thing was compared to his other toy cars.

Dad being told why the wheels and tyres need to be done first "so it's bouncy and goes over stuff like raahhhhhh".

Me assisting with gearbox build. Amazingly, we had a fairly reasonable ratio of grease on mechanical components rather than child.

All done mechanically, just needs the body sorting out (bonus Mini-4WD 1/32 one that I got his dad on a previous trip).

There's a certain amount of a Boys From Brazil approach going on here - his dad had the exact same truck when they were released the first time round!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That’s so awesome!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

That is an awesome story. I strongly suggest you pick up a FastEddy bearing set for the truck. They are absolutely necessary for Tamiya models and they are so cheap: http://www.fasteddybearings.com/tamiya-midnight-pumpkin-1-12th-58044-sealed-bearing-kit/

In a Tamiya kit like that you will actually notice a significant improvement in speed/acceleration and run time. It is also going to keep the drivetrain from eventually eating itself as the nylon and oilite bushings die.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, I included a metal bearing set along with some radio kit and ESC, batteries etc, so he had all the gear needed to get it up and running.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Where does one start with the upgrading part of the hobby? As posted earlier I have an SCX10 but outside of driving it I've never done any modifications to it. My son is getting an SCX10ii for Christmas so this should be a fun hobby for us.

I just don't know anything about how they really work. Like, say I want to add a winch, I have no idea what actually would be done to accomplish this. Same with adding lights/upgrading weak parts. I'll probably end up falling down a youtube rabbit hole at some point. Until then I figured maybe some of you experienced guys could get me going in the right direction with some suggestions.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The 10.2 is p good out of that box TBH and the receiver even has a free channel you could use for lights/winch.

Lights are p easy you either get 6V stuff and stick it in your receiver (then brown it out all the time because factory ESCs have garbage regulators) or get a castle BEC and never worry about it ever again. Kids love lights/sounds.

Winches either come with an integrated controller you just plug in a free channel, or you use a rudimentary reverse-capable brushed ESC to drive them. I find they’re more trouble than they’re worth.

I’m not super up to date on the radio side of surface because I use my miniquad stick radios for everything (can’t argue with 6ch receivers that cost :10bucks: ) but flysky ans spektrum both make affordable decent radios with a bunch of channels.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Now I'm looking for a large R/C truck for a robotics project, but I'd rather not spend the money on a new one. Is there anything in particular I should know about buying used R/C vehicles off of eBay or Craigslist? Like, for those listings throwing in batteries, is it particularly risky to buy someone's used LiPo packs if there are otherwise no red flags?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Cockmaster posted:

Now I'm looking for a large R/C truck for a robotics project, but I'd rather not spend the money on a new one. Is there anything in particular I should know about buying used R/C vehicles off of eBay or Craigslist? Like, for those listings throwing in batteries, is it particularly risky to buy someone's used LiPo packs if there are otherwise no red flags?

RC Tech is a good site with a big For Sales sub forum

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

wandler20 posted:

Where does one start with the upgrading part of the hobby? As posted earlier I have an SCX10 but outside of driving it I've never done any modifications to it. My son is getting an SCX10ii for Christmas so this should be a fun hobby for us.

I just don't know anything about how they really work. Like, say I want to add a winch, I have no idea what actually would be done to accomplish this. Same with adding lights/upgrading weak parts. I'll probably end up falling down a youtube rabbit hole at some point. Until then I figured maybe some of you experienced guys could get me going in the right direction with some suggestions.

For YouTube videos with a low BS factor on crawler tech, old Harley Designs videos are good. He has a few series that he has called "budget builds" where it is not so much things are done for cheap, but progressively done as though working with a regular budget. He knows a lot of great tech stuff and a year or two ago was actually hired by Vanquish Products and moved out to Sacramento.

For traditional forums the rccrawler.com forum has a lifetime worth of information and has been laid out very methodically for tech information such as how to add lights/winches, BECs and the like. It is still pretty active too which is surprising as most RC forums are dead or dying.

I went from the AX10 Scorpion -> SCX10 Honcho -> SCX10II (XJ Cherokee kit) and the SCX10II was like god-mode on doom when compared to the original Honcho. It is so much more capable and such a better crawler in every way. Just a couple months ago I made the jump from the 10II to the new Vanquish VS4-10 and that thing is so bitching. It is the crawler I always wanted to build myself but never did. Not a single regret about that kit and I can confidently say it was the most satisfying car kit I have ever assembled.

If you have a specific question don't hesitate to ask. I am in-industry for the hobby stuff, so helping people out is my job.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Awesome stuff, I appreciate it. I am currently looking at that Ford Bronco Traxxas crawler because it looks so god drat cool.

Sounds like it might not be worth investing time and money into my SCX10 unless something breaks. I'll probably put more focus on my sons 10II.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I mean sure but also the 10.2 is already great (just slow).

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

evil_bunnY posted:

I mean sure but also the 10.2 is already great (just slow).

I guess I mean fun add on things that he'll enjoy like some lights or a winch. He won't care about mechanical upgrades.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Lights are always a success with kiddos IMO, especially if you can throw them on a free RC channel (which the 10.2 RTR has IIRC). Our kid’s truck has a light bar (because firemen/women are the highest form of existence attainable by mere humans, you see) and he’s getting a LED bar for Xmas (because the led bar on my truck is the #1 reason he borrows it).

The blue bar we have is the bashable ABS type and it’ll go through rollovers without issues, unlike most of the more scale-looking options.

If you put lights or really anything non-factory in a 10.2 I’d highly recommend adding a BEC because the regulator in the factory ESC is a piece of unmitigated garbage and it loves to brown out.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 5, 2018

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Before we just go "the bec's are poo poo" Lets cover the reality. They're not "terrible" They're just the size they are. It's like calling a 8mm socket terrible becuase you need a 32mm socket. It's still a good socket, just not the one you need.

BEC's in ESCs are usually little linear things. Typically they're rated for 1-1.5 amps. The "fanciest" escs only provide 2.5 or 3amps. A high end steering servo can suck ALL of that power. Much less any accessory. That's why big caps on the reciever are still a common thing. They handle the transient loads from the Servo.

External BEC's are nice, as they let you pick the quality of power, voltage, and current limits that you want. Sadly, they're also heavier and require a good bit more wiring.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
High voltage servos are really nice for skipping the BEC. I don’t have a link handy, but there’s a couple places you can find a servo lead that forks to the battery directly.

All of my rigs are 3s now, though. Not because they need the power, but because I have some nice 12v servos and light bars. No regulator necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

and some recievers are just happy handling whagever the input voltage is from the battery. Gruanper is coming to mind.