Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Have you ever seen an Arby's shut down for something other than health reasons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Lack of hats?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC8BvC0PNpI

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

vyst posted:

Have you ever seen an Arby's shut down for something other than health reasons?

The Arby's nearest to me was closed for almost two months for 'renovations' and then was reopen for about a week and now it's closed again for 'renovations' and they've got the whole parking lot pulled up

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

So either sewage or gas lines or attempted unionization

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Papa John's founder, John Schnatter, is reaching out to private equity firms as he eyes buying back his company

quote:

The ousted founder of the Papa John's pizza chain has reached out to a number of private equity firms in recent weeks to discuss partnering in a bid to buy the company, sources familiar with the situation told CNBC.

Schnatter, who already owns roughly 30 percent of Papa John's, is looking for capital to help support an offer, sources said. Several private equity firms have turned him down, though, concerned about the reputational risks inherent in partnering with him. Meantime, those interested in buying Papa John's do not believe that working with Schnatter is the best path toward a winning offer, some of the sources said.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

I'm pretty sure I read that the other shareholders have already introduced a poison pill to prevent exactly this from happening.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Okay I know he was an rear end in a top hat and said racist poo poo in a conference call but I feel like there’s gotta be worse stuff out there if, in THIS environment, investors fear for their reputations if they invest with him.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He also publicly blamed their slowing pizza sales on the NFL not taking care of the whole BLM/kneeling thing when it first started.

And said that the ACA would directly lead to an increase in costs for the consumer.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Pope Corky the IX posted:

He also publicly blamed their slowing pizza sales on the NFL not taking care of the whole BLM/kneeling thing when it first started.

And said that the ACA would directly lead to an increase in costs for the consumer.

His house is also a nouveau riche McMansion abomination

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gynocentric Regime posted:

His house is also a nouveau riche McMansion abomination

It's a castle

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Iron Crowned posted:

It's a castle

No, it isn't. It couldn't withstand a siege by the present-day members of Monty Python.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

No, it isn't. It couldn't withstand a siege by the present-day members of Monty Python.

I didn't say it was a good one

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I'm pretty sure I read that the other shareholders have already introduced a poison pill to prevent exactly this from happening.

The board of directors instituted it but ya basically in the event of a hostile takeover the board will issue a bunch of shares to the other holders to make it substantially more expensive for him to takeover. I don't remember exact figures but it can easily double the cost to do a takeover.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Raldikuk posted:

The board of directors instituted it but ya basically in the event of a hostile takeover the board will issue a bunch of shares to the other holders to make it substantially more expensive for him to takeover. I don't remember exact figures but it can easily double the cost to do a takeover.

Excuse me, I meant the board did it to protect the other shareholders, my apologies.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I thought you meant that they had suborned one of his personal chefs to poison him if he tried.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And now I’m really disappointed.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
It might be something that poors will never understand, but what is his loving problem? The guy is wealthy enough that he will never want for anything ever again. Even if he ceased to earn money today generations of his family will be taken care of long after he dies.

So why would he want to buy back his lovely pizza business? It's gotta be an ego thing and nothing more. I imagine him just stomping through the halls of his gaudy poo poo mansion ranting about how he got hosed and it's not fair. I'll bet he's got a room with nothing but tables covered in poo poo that he can upend angrily. Fuckin a man. Live your rich rear end life and let it go.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

It might be something that poors will never understand, but what is his loving problem? The guy is wealthy enough that he will never want for anything ever again. Even if he ceased to earn money today generations of his family will be taken care of long after he dies.

So why would he want to buy back his lovely pizza business? It's gotta be an ego thing and nothing more. I imagine him just stomping through the halls of his gaudy poo poo mansion ranting about how he got hosed and it's not fair. I'll bet he's got a room with nothing but tables covered in poo poo that he can upend angrily. Fuckin a man. Live your rich rear end life and let it go.

*Attaches this post to an arrow, and affixes it to a giant wheel with 400 billionaires' names on it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Some people are just never, ever satisfied. He might also be looking at it like his company was stolen from him.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Some people are just never, ever satisfied. He might also be looking at it like his company was stolen from him.

Gollem the Billionaire

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
A man like Schnatter has got a great big hole, right in the middle of him. He can never botox enough, or spend enough, or sell enough lovely pizza to ever fill it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The business is literally his identity.

What he's built is quite the accomplishment and odds are he's a type A personality who spent all his time at the office or at job functions. His sponsorship of the NFL meant he got to hang with football stars and get all kinds of perks. It's a harsh change to suddenly be cast aside. If I was his wife I'd hide his handgun.

Or...if I was married to Papa John I'd buy more handguns and leave them all around the house and then go on a long vacation.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sunswipe posted:

A man like Schnatter has got a great big hole, right in the middle of him. He can never botox enough, or spend enough, or sell enough lovely pizza to ever fill it.

There's a great (and depressing) documentary called "The Queen of Versailles," which brings some insight into that. Basically at some point in becoming rich your brain breaks and it's all about just acquiring more and more money. It doesn't matter that you're at a point that you no longer need to earn any money, you just keep doing it because it's what you do.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bloomberg article about Sears trying what sounds like a final restructuring. Lampert is loading the company with more debt and making sure that his hedge fund gets paid first since they are the primary creditor. Basically Lampert wants to avoid bankruptcy which would make him way less money since in that situation other creditors end up walking away with more. But it sounds like Sears is at death’s door.

https://twitter.com/lisaabramowicz1/status/1045293946459627520?s=21

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You know when people say "It's not the money, it's the principle of the thing?" That's actually true for Schnatter. He's John loving Schnatter and NO ONE is going to tell him what he can and can't do with HIS company.

Iron Crowned posted:

There's a great (and depressing) documentary called "The Queen of Versailles," which brings some insight into that. Basically at some point in becoming rich your brain breaks and it's all about just acquiring more and more money. It doesn't matter that you're at a point that you no longer need to earn any money, you just keep doing it because it's what you do.
Also this.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Bloomberg article about Sears trying what sounds like a final restructuring. Lampert is loading the company with more debt and making sure that his hedge fund gets paid first since they are the primary creditor. Basically Lampert wants to avoid bankruptcy which would make him way less money since in that situation other creditors end up walking away with more. But it sounds like Sears is at death’s door.

https://twitter.com/lisaabramowicz1/status/1045293946459627520?s=21

Theyre so very toast that theyre trying to hire new upper management by trying to get away with extremely low base pay and crazy high bonuses that only pay out in one years time, no quarterly vesting, and based on stock value.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1045404862215835655

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

He’s seriously a huge moron and brought this on himself

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

FlamingLiberal posted:

He’s seriously a huge moron and brought this on himself

Eddie Lampert or Elon Musk?

:haw:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Pretty sure Lambert knows exactly what he's doing here

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Goober Peas posted:

:bisonyes:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Goober Peas posted:

Yes

Although Lampert is not a moron in the sense that when Sears dies he will get the majority of the value.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Sears was always going to die. Lambert just maximized shareholder his value.

We can't ignore the fact that up until Lambert, Sears made the wrong choice every chance it got for decades. Had he not come on and started cost cutting, Sears would have kept on acting like it was another Wal-Mart and probably been gone by now. It should have been gone by now. Lambert being the single biggest guaranteed creditor is the only reason it keeps getting loans (from Lambert).

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Krispy Wafer posted:

Sears was always going to die. Lambert just maximized shareholder his value.

We can't ignore the fact that up until Lambert, Sears made the wrong choice every chance it got for decades. Had he not come on and started cost cutting, Sears would have kept on acting like it was another Wal-Mart and probably been gone by now. It should have been gone by now. Lambert being the single biggest guaranteed creditor is the only reason it keeps getting loans (from Lambert).

Shutting down the catalog store was probably the biggest pre-Lampert mistake made, especially since they were pioneers in online commerce before it was 'a thing'.

The fatal, irreversible mistakes all happened on Crazy Eddie's watch. He was the proponent and instigator of the Wal-Martification.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
With better management, Sears could have jumped onto the internet bandwagon way early. I assume they already had warehouses and poo poo from the catalog.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Randaconda posted:

With better management, Sears could have jumped onto the internet bandwagon way early. I assume they already had warehouses and poo poo from the catalog.

That's the thing - they were doing eCommerce on CompuServe in the early 1980s, then partnered with IBM to start Prodigy where they also had an eCommerce site. Both ran through their catalog stores.
They were the bandwagon and jumped off -- then shut down their catalog distribution network instead of converting it to eCom. Those were two very big mistakes in hindsight, but definitely not fatal.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Goober Peas posted:

Shutting down the catalog store was probably the biggest pre-Lampert mistake made, especially since they were pioneers in online commerce before it was 'a thing'.

The fatal, irreversible mistakes all happened on Crazy Eddie's watch. He was the proponent and instigator of the Wal-Martification.

I dunno, I couldn't find when Lambert shelved the catalog division, but Sears stopped publishing their catalog years before that. Sears Holding was never good (I think they had one or two profitable years) but without the merger Sears would have still been losing money. Sears' fate was sealed when they got rid of their real estate, investment banking, and internet arms. It would have probably been sealed even without that, but at least there was a slight chance they could have competed with Amazon.

I used Prodigy back in the day and that poo poo was ahead of its time. With Sears' inventory and logistics they could have been pumping out 2 day shipping for online orders back when Amazon was still struggling to mail books out of Bezo's apartment. Or they could have just been another Buy.com. Odds are best case scenario they were just another Buy.com.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Krispy Wafer posted:

I dunno, I couldn't find when Lambert shelved the catalog division, but Sears stopped publishing their catalog years before that. Sears Holding was never good (I think they had one or two profitable years) but without the merger Sears would have still been losing money. Sears' fate was sealed when they got rid of their real estate, investment banking, and internet arms. It would have probably been sealed even without that, but at least there was a slight chance they could have competed with Amazon.

I used Prodigy back in the day and that poo poo was ahead of its time. With Sears' inventory and logistics they could have been pumping out 2 day shipping for online orders back when Amazon was still struggling to mail books out of Bezo's apartment. Or they could have just been another Buy.com. Odds are best case scenario they were just another Buy.com.

You won't find it, because he didn't do it. It was done in 1994.

Sears Holding was the outcome of the Sears K-Mart merger. 2005 and 2006 were the last profitable years. Sears was in fact profitable, though slowing prior to the merger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dont forget Sears also owned their own credit card company processor at one point. The business basically hosed itself out of every possible avenue for how to evolve its business despite having multiple different paths.