Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

I pre-ordered Indicator's UK (but region free) set of William Castle movies - it has The Tingler, 13 Ghosts, Homicidal, and Mr. Sardonicus.

Looks like they're absolutely loaded. Plus, The Tingler will have the color insert newly restored from a rare 35mm print (the Shout! Factory uses Sony's best surviving element, a 16mm dupe), as well as alternate presentations replicating first-run theaters (with stereo surround effects during the film break) and the drive-in version of that same scene.

Also looks like they're using the multi-angle feature to replicate the ghost viewer stuff on 13 Ghosts instead of including a physical viewer. Which is kind of cool.

I was on the fence about this set but you just swayed me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Waterworld includes 4k restorations of all three cuts of the film, including the TV cut that's 40 minutes longer than the theatrical. I never thought I'd say this, but I think I'll purchase Waterworld.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Goddamn I really need to upgrade to UHD/4k, but the price jump between what's reasonable to me and the size I really want is just too much of a barrier for me right now.

I also really think that Elvira Mistress of the Dark is somehow one of the movies that was most formative to me as a child.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

Waterworld includes 4k restorations of all three cuts of the film, including the TV cut that's 40 minutes longer than the theatrical. I never thought I'd say this, but I think I'll purchase Waterworld.

Yessssssssss

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Iron Crowned posted:

Goddamn I really need to upgrade to UHD/4k, but the price jump between what's reasonable to me and the size I really want is just too much of a barrier for me right now.

Maybe you weren't referring to the Waterworld 4K restoration, but in case you were the release is 1080p Blu-ray, not UHD (Arrow, like most labels, hasn't released any UHDs as of yet).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
How long is the Waterworld tv cut? 3 hours? I think that honestly might be exactly what it needs.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

How long is the Waterworld tv cut? 3 hours? I think that honestly might be exactly what it needs.

176 minutes according to IMDB.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Waterworld is a good movie submit reply

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I really hope Shout or someone else releases Elvira in the US. I’ve been waiting for that one for a while now.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Arrow releases here too I believe. I picked up a steel book Re-Animator for 20 bucks at an FYE in Florida, so I’m assuming I don’t need any special blu ray player to play the thing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Unless it was from a specific section selling imports, you're probably OK. The flags underneath the covers in that poster above show which countries they have the rights to release each title in, they've been active in the US a little while now. The stuff they don't have the rights to abroad is always region locked, though.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Iron Crowned posted:

I also really think that Elvira Mistress of the Dark is somehow one of the movies that was most formative to me as a child.
I mean who doesn't love titties, puns and puns about titties?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Bloody Birthday is amazing.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That FUE reanimated is Us so you’ll be fine. They’re selling a couple other Arrows like Hikls have eyes , killer Klein’s (might be a fye exclusive one I don’t see the one they have online), Donnie darko

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Are arrow releases region free? I want that Elvira.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Vince MechMahon posted:

Some of them are I think. Some have a Region A release as well. They had that sale a while back and I didn't buy anything because nothing I wanted was region free.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Vince MechMahon posted:

Anything they're releasing in the US and UK simultaneously is region free or at least A+B.

Also, the releases of Too Late for Tears and Woman on the Run are secretly region free. On a Region B player, they load with Arrow-branded menus, while on Region A players, they load with Flicker Alley-branded menus.

Forbidden Zone is also region free, but the US release doesn't really differ much besides Arrow giving the mono track a lossless encode.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino just announced they're releasing Mo Better Blues, Jungle Fever, Clockers, Crooklyn, and Summer of Sam this Spring.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Egbert Souse posted:

Summer of Sam this Spring.

I just passingly glanced at this and got super excited because I thought it was Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, and Spring. :(

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I Found Smokey and the Bandit in the $7 bin at Walmart, and now I'm wishing Duel was out there on Blu

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Bloody Birthday is amazing.

It really is. I bought it as a joke when Severin were cleaning out their back catalog, just because I'd seen it reviewed by RedLetterMedia. But then I watched it and was actually surprised by how much I legit liked it. Probably not enough to re-buy it from Arrow though, unless somehow the bonus materials are amazing.

Arrow's usually really good about supplementary things, but the Severin release was really barebones and I can't imagine what Arrow could have unearthed that Severin didn't.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Iron Crowned posted:

I Found Smokey and the Bandit in the $7 bin at Walmart, and now I'm wishing Duel was out there on Blu

It is!

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/duel-blu-ray-1971/4434808.p?skuId=4434808

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
This isn't really the best thread for this but I can't think of where to ask and I can't check right now-- does the version of Freaks and Geeks currently on US Netflix have the replaced music? Trying to get someone to watch it but the music is pretty important so I don't want them to watch a worse version.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

RichterIX posted:

This isn't really the best thread for this but I can't think of where to ask and I can't check right now-- does the version of Freaks and Geeks currently on US Netflix have the replaced music? Trying to get someone to watch it but the music is pretty important so I don't want them to watch a worse version.

I didn't even know there was a version where they swapped out the music. In fact I thought the reason the DVD set was initially very expensive was because of the cost of the music rights.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

RichterIX posted:

I can't confirm what's on there currently but I watched through it on Netflix a few years ago and it had all sorts of licensed tracks.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

CPL593H posted:

I didn't even know there was a version where they swapped out the music. In fact I thought the reason the DVD set was initially very expensive was because of the cost of the music rights.

In syndication the licensed music is replaced and if you Google around you can find varying reports about the Netflix version from year to year.

wa27 posted:

I can't confirm what's on there currently but I watched through it on Netflix a few years ago and it had all sorts of licensed tracks.

Cool, I'll just tell them to watch it on there. Maybe I'll use checking the music as an excuse to re-watch it anyway.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

RichterIX posted:

In syndication the licensed music is replaced and if you Google around you can find varying reports about the Netflix version from year to year.

Cool, I'll just tell them to watch it on there. Maybe I'll use checking the music as an excuse to re-watch it anyway.

That's odd because I first saw the show a few years ago on whatever channel was showing the reruns and it definitely had the original music.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
Netflix is pulling the show tomorrow.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I know this is a physical video thread, but holy poo poo these prices: https://www.arrowfilms.com/news/arrow-video-itunes-shocktober-sale/

Typically Arrow video blus are never under $30 in Canada so this is quite the deal.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

mem posted:

Netflix is pulling the show tomorrow.

welp

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Undeclared was funnier

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

Undeclared was funnier

I feel like Freaks and Geeks was more of a drama that had comedy where Undeclared was more of a straight comedy. They do have a similar vibe though. I can't decide which I like more.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I couldn't ever get into Undeclared because it was sold to me as "a sequel to Freaks & Geeks" and it turned out to be a straight-up comedy instead of a humorous drama and way different tonally.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, I couldn't ever get into Undeclared because it was sold to me as "a sequel to Freaks & Geeks" and it turned out to be a straight-up comedy instead of a humorous drama and way different tonally.

I completely missed Freaks and Geeks when it first aired and only saw it four or five years ago. This was not the case for me and Undeclared so I went into it being unaware of the connection and really only vaguely aware of Freaks and Geeks in general. I've always enjoyed it. It's probably also the last item Charlie Hunnam wasn't a wooden actor. (Note: I did not see Nicholas Nickleby.)

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Scream Factory announced The Plague of the Zombies. https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/the-plague-of-the-zombies?product_id=6951

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Also got The Glass Key, When Harry Met Sally: Collector's Edition, The Howling III, and Saturday the 14th on the way.

They also confirmed that they were able to find a print of the extended cut of The Plague Dogs and will be including it on their release, as well as a new interview with Martin Rosen.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
From Coupons, Creepshow 2 Blu for $5

Also, my work is getting a pair of OLED 4K TVs next week. I have to set them up with the soundbar/UHD Bluray accessories, so what's a good reference disc? I think the HDR standard is Coco(?) but I already have a blu copy of that. Maybe T2 or Predator??

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

From Coupons, Creepshow 2 Blu for $5

Also, my work is getting a pair of OLED 4K TVs next week. I have to set them up with the soundbar/UHD Bluray accessories, so what's a good reference disc? I think the HDR standard is Coco(?) but I already have a blu copy of that. Maybe T2 or Predator??

Nah, T2 and Predator aren't quite good enough to use for reference in my opinion. Coco is probably better than either of those for showing off UHD and HDR.

If you want something older, Blade Runner is great. The Fifth Element is another one that is completely revitalized by the HDR, there's a really noticeable difference with that one.

The last few M:I movies are fantastic with HDR/Dolby Vision too. Particularly Ghost Protocol, that'd make a great reference disc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

T2 looks good but not as good as they hyped it up to be.