Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Check out Jamf Now, should be able to do all of that.

E: vvvvvv- Jamf Now does not have the complexity problems that full Jamf has.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

nexxai posted:

Ok I've had it up to my loving eyeballs with the complete shitshow that is MaaS360 MDM and need a replacement. I don't need anything fancy - the ability to lock down the iPad so users can't install apps, the ability to push apps to a group of iPads, the ability to "design" a home screen (our users are roughnecks in the field and the simpler we can make things for them, the better) and the ability to use non-DEP-purchased iPads if necessary using Apple Configurator. One nice to have would be an interface that was designed after the year 2000.

What do you guys use and why should I use it too?

JAMF, if and only if you're willing to have someone whose primary job is to manage JAMF.

A simple solution it is not. It took us about 8 months to roll JAMF out to iPads to manage digital signage and we proceeded to screw up signage for our entire company for about two weeks once we started managing them.

now, iPads are a terrible choice for digital signage to begin with, but my point is that you need to be careful because it's easier than you think to screw things up.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jamf is the best choice for managing anything Apple-related. Intune is powerful as well but does a lot more than just iPad management so might be a bit overwhelming.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

In case you want to do more support in your free time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr9ULM5uzWk

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Mr. Clark2 posted:

In case you want to do more support in your free time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr9ULM5uzWk

:ughh:

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

nexxai posted:

Ok I've had it up to my loving eyeballs with the complete shitshow that is MaaS360 MDM and need a replacement. I don't need anything fancy - the ability to lock down the iPad so users can't install apps, the ability to push apps to a group of iPads, the ability to "design" a home screen (our users are roughnecks in the field and the simpler we can make things for them, the better) and the ability to use non-DEP-purchased iPads if necessary using Apple Configurator. One nice to have would be an interface that was designed after the year 2000.

What do you guys use and why should I use it too?

We currently use Intune and I just checked out the demo for Jamf Now. Let's just say that I now wish we used Jamf.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Garrand posted:

I learned tonight that it is an absolute travesty that this dude sometimes gets 100 ping in fortnite and just how can you expect him to play games with that awful latency, it's 2018 video games are a goddamned human right.

This is going to be my "bitching about gamers" thread now, hope ya'll don't mind.

Seriously, I do have other problem or dumb callers sometimes but the gamers are the most grating and most entitled.

You want this: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3634950

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I didn't think I would top 'yelling phone' but here we are.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Garrand posted:

I learned tonight that it is an absolute travesty that this dude sometimes gets 100 ping in fortnite and just how can you expect him to play games with that awful latency, it's 2018 video games are a goddamned human right.

This is going to be my "bitching about gamers" thread now, hope ya'll don't mind.

Seriously, I do have other problem or dumb callers sometimes but the gamers are the most grating and most entitled.

Yeah. Worked with a user who sent me a trace route saying "see that hop jumps to 400ms, the network gear you guys sold us sucks, we should have kept the old stuff"

The hop was in Germany. He wouldn't believe me that crossing 80% of North America and the Atlantic adds a bit of transit time..

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

blackswordca posted:

Yeah. Worked with a user who sent me a trace route saying "see that hop jumps to 400ms, the network gear you guys sold us sucks, we should have kept the old stuff"

The hop was in Germany. He wouldn't believe me that crossing 80% of North America and the Atlantic adds a bit of transit time..

at this point, it comes up so often that our network team has a script they put in tickets that very nicely says

HIGH LATENCY IN TRACEROUTES DOES NOT MEAN LATENCY IN YOUR CONNECTION

PROVIDERS, INCLUDING OURSELVES, DEPRIORITIZE OR STRAIGHT UP BLOCK ICMP

RUN A SPEED TEST

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
What volume of ICMP traffic could possible by present that warrants qos

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Kyrosiris posted:

Not just xboxes; dealing with ~*~minecraft server admins~*~ at $OLD_JOB made me hate the game so much by association that I still can't play it without getting mad.

For what little it may be worth, being a Minecraft server runner is a thankless task further complicated by the god-awful language which is Java.

Renegret posted:

at this point, it comes up so often that our network team has a script they put in tickets that very nicely says

RUN A SPEED TEST

Why do ISPs deprioritize/block ICMP? Security concerns?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

dragonshardz posted:

For what little it may be worth, being a Minecraft server runner is a thankless task further complicated by the god-awful language which is Java.

As far as deprioritizing, they’re probably tired of a not insignificant amount of traffic generated by gamers and games themselves with “latency meters” that are running all the time.

Blocking ICMP is used to make network reconnaissance more difficult. It’s not always that effective at that, but it does help agains low-effort script runners. It also stops traffic external from their networks which also helps in reducing resource consumption.

I’m not saying the bulk of traffic is ICMP traffic, but it’s also not flying under the radar in terms of usage either.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

dragonshardz posted:

pretty much

Methanar posted:

What volume of ICMP traffic could possible by present that warrants qos

It's actually a lot. Apparently google has a monthly quota for ICMP traffic? I only know this because we hit it once, and all of our customers using 8.8.8.8 as a keepalive had all their poo poo blew up because the ICMP was getting dumped.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Proteus Jones posted:

As far as deprioritizing, they’re probably tired of a not insignificant amount of traffic generated by gamers and games themselves with “latency meters” that are running all the time.

Blocking ICMP is used to make network reconnaissance more difficult. It’s not always that effective at that, but it does help agains low-effort script runners. It also stops traffic external from their networks which also helps in reducing resource consumption.

I’m not saying the bulk of traffic is ICMP traffic, but it’s also not flying under the radar in terms of usage either.

I was under the impression that any sort of embedded game latency count is going to be application level udp, not icmp.

Like I guess ICMP is an amplification vector but I'm still curious what actual percentage icmp reponses, or unreachables could possible represent. Are we talking 0.1% per 100gbps? 3%?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Methanar posted:

I was under the impression that any sort of embedded game latency count is going to be application level udp, not icmp.

That could very well be. I’m a filthy casual when it comes to gaming.

Methanar posted:

Like I guess ICMP is an amplification vector but I'm still curious what actual percentage icmp reponses, or unreachables could possible represent. Are we talking 0.1% per 100gbps? 3%?

I don’t have insight into their networks, but I can’t imagine it being inconsequentially small if places like google put an upper limit on ICMP responses to specific IPs/network ranges. I know of some teams internally at my place that use public DNS servers as a poor man’s keep-alive or uptime validator. It’s not a huge leap to see how that could generate significant traffic if large number of people/companies around the world are doing the same.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

dragonshardz posted:

For what little it may be worth, being a Minecraft server runner is a thankless task further complicated by the god-awful code written by Notch.

Fixed that for you

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Renegret posted:

My favorite is when they use ping/traceroute latency or timeouts to "prove" that there's a latency problem.

I did one time though!

My ping went from 100ish to 300-1000ms all the sudden. Poking around eventually lead to the 6th hop, still inside the ISP, was timing out or spiking the ping response once things got that far. Sent it into customer support and 8 hours later something got fixed.

:feelsgood:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Renegret posted:

RUN A SPEED TEST
The worst ones are the ones that have just enough understanding to metaphorically hurt themselves even harder:

Customers kid, calling in about lag in <pick your poison> posted:

But I can do traceroutes via TCP or UDP traffic too and that's bad too!

LethalGeek posted:

My ping went from 100ish to 300-1000ms all the sudden. Poking around eventually lead to the 6th hop, still inside the ISP, was timing out or spiking the ping response once things got that far. Sent it into customer support and 8 hours later something got fixed.
If a customer can detect a problem via pings before an ISP can, they ain't monitoring poo poo and don't belong in the business of being a service provider.
EDIT: Thinking about it, if it takes 8 hours for them to fix it, they really aren't in the business of being a service provider. In that case, they're just faffing about.

Methanar posted:

Amplification attacks work primarily on UDP, and there's even a nice little list of the worst offenders. BCP38 deployment is moving loving nowhere, though - which is a pity, because it's the only effective mitigation for all amplification attacks of that type of which there will definitely be more of in the future.
The point about traceroutes being unreliable is that because you can't know the rate at which ICMP traffic is dropped for any given packet routed through the internet, it could range from 0.00001% to +10% at peak traffic.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 28, 2018

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

D. Ebdrup posted:

If a customer can detect a problem via pings before an ISP can, they ain't monitoring poo poo and don't belong in the business of being a service provider.
EDIT: Thinking about it, if it takes 8 hours for them to fix it, they really aren't in the business of being a service provider. In that case, they're just faffing about.

I've done the same thing to my old ISP in the past. Caught an issue with one of their internal hops, called tech support and they were not in the mood to even listen. Just read the script then wanted to charge me to send a tech out.

12 hours later the equipment at that IP fell over and they had a major outage.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

PremiumSupport posted:

I've done the same thing to my old ISP in the past. Caught an issue with one of their internal hops, called tech support and they were not in the mood to even listen. Just read the script then wanted to charge me to send a tech out.

You'll note that I made no estimates about how common faffing about is in the industry.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The problem with calling customer support is that 99% of the customers that call in are idiots and think they know better. So on the off chance that an actual knowledgeable person calls in, nobody's going to believe them since customer service has heard it all.

PremiumSupport posted:

You know what probably happened?

Someone 300 miles away saw it happening hours before you did and knew that there was going to be a problem. Upon paging local head end techs, the techs say "Nobody's on site, if it's not customer affecting we're not rolling out, we don't have the staff to spare" So everyone sits there and bickers like children while secretly waiting for it to die so someone finally goes out there and resets the SFP.

Other acceptable responses from the head end techs are "No trouble found", "That's not my equipment so I'm not touching it", or "I have other, more important things to work on".

During that week's RCA meeting, it's determined that there's nothing that could be done to prevent this. So as a knee jerk reaction, additional (yet worthless) alarms are sent to the NOC, creating too much white noise on their boards that leads to future outages being straight up missed. The NOC is told by their management to just work better and refuse to listen to any suggestions for improvement. They used to work the desk 15 years ago, so they know how it is and know what's best, they claim, before going outside to play their 5th round of cornhole for the day.

Then there's another round of layoffs for the headend techs.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 28, 2018

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Then I go home, drink my liver into oblivion, and post on the internet.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

D. Ebdrup posted:

You'll note that I made no estimates about how common faffing about is in the industry.

Renegret posted:

They used to work the desk 15 years ago, so they know how it is and know what's best, they claim, before going outside to play their 5th round of cornhole for the day.

My experience working in the cable industry is that it's pretty much all faff, all the time. Faff fuckin' everywhere. I'd figured other ISPs were similar.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I've told ISP support people straight up that they need to connect me to somebody who understands what the results of a ping check are, but you have to really exhaust my patience before I'm rude to anybody on the phone.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Inspector_666 posted:

I've told ISP support people straight up that they need to connect me to somebody who understands what the results of a ping check are, but you have to really exhaust my patience before I'm rude to anybody on the phone.

lol like those people actually want to talk to customers.

or are allowed to, for that matter.

I know I'm speaking to the choir here but call centers are cancer.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 28, 2018

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I used to be polite when I had to call the ISP but now I'm just full on rear end in a top hat from "hello"

I'm OK with lovely service, I'm not ok with that resulting in charging me for my own modem.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
One time I called tech support and had to spend about 15 minutes explaining that I did not need to restart my computer because I was connected to the DSLAM but couldn't get past that to their servers so there was a disconnect somewhere in there and I was just letting them know.

Of course they still for some reason have my (two buildings ago) old work phone number as my contact number, and refuse to update it to my cell. So more often than not I just don't bother calling rather than spend 5 minutes in a song and dance explaining that yes I am who I say I am and yes my internet is down.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There seems to be no way to get anything that is a fault beyond the modem linking up resolved by ISP call centre techs, so I just wait for service to come back by itself now.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My boss called IT because the department's sharepoint was down. The IT guy told him to restart his computer.

I had a good laugh, everything went full circle.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Kurieg posted:

So more often than not I just don't bother calling rather than spend 5 minutes in a song and dance explaining that yes I am who I say I am and yes my internet is down.
And they've won.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
If this offer goes through and I get out of this shithole I promise I'll spill the beans on all the nasty ISP poo poo that I come across, because

sloshmonger posted:

And they've won.

You are more right than you realize.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Kyrosiris posted:

Not just xboxes; dealing with ~*~minecraft server admins~*~ at $OLD_JOB made me hate the game so much by association that I still can't play it without getting mad.
I don't know if they're as inclined to get caught cheating at a game and threathen you to get you so that you somehow have their account unbanned on a third party service because "muh gamerscore"... Or spend multiple thousand on fifa ultimate team players on $PARENT's credit card without telling them... Or fly to Redmond and demand to speak to Bill Gates over the account they found on a second hand console being recovered elsewhere and them loosing access... :smithicide:

Renegret posted:

The problem with calling customer support is that 99% of the customers that call in are idiots and think they know better. So on the off chance that an actual knowledgeable person calls in, nobody's going to believe them since customer service has heard it all.
Exactly once I have had the phone monkey flat out admit that what I just said was way outside their knowledge and I should just email engineers@myisp.com with the results.

Turns out my ISP many years back was given a court order to block various piracy sites and they achieve this by conducting DNS poisoning attacks against their own hardware which results in the fuckton of ARP traffic from outside my public IP's range being shat out into my local network that I was seeing when my internet would drop every few hours.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 28, 2018

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
If you really want to make noise, don't waste your time calling your ISP's general support.

Find contacts thats are listed as being administratively responsible for the ASN and send them an email.

Although you should probably have something more substantiated than a traceroute copy/paste to show them.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'd wiresharked the gently caress out of the problem. Luckily Ireland is small so I was able to grapevine my way to the answer via friends of friends.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kurieg posted:

One time I called tech support and had to spend about 15 minutes explaining that I did not need to restart my computer because I was connected to the DSLAM but couldn't get past that to their servers so there was a disconnect somewhere in there and I was just letting them know.

I swear I've nearly crushed a handset between my fingers talking to what was supposedly a NOC guy, trying to get across the understanding that the rebooting the "router" hooked up to a clearly-broken fibre cable would upset a shitload of people if I actually did it.

Nevermind trying to get across the concept of "the SFP sends light through the fibre trying to see the other end. If it sees light from the far end, the Loss of Signal alarms will Go Away".

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I do a lot of ISP NOC to NOC communication and lemme tell you, hands down, the worst NOC is Time Warner. They once told me to instruct a customer to climb a telephone poll to get the MAC of an outdoor AP because they claimed they had no way of looking it up based on address.

I very kindly told them to go gently caress themselves.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Renegret posted:

I do a lot of ISP NOC to NOC communication and lemme tell you, hands down, the worst NOC is Time Warner. They once told me to instruct a customer to climb a telephone poll to get the MAC of an outdoor AP because they claimed they had no way of looking it up based on address.

I very kindly told them to go gently caress themselves.

The gently caress? As someone who had attempted to do that before in a previous job and failed out due to my fear of heights, how in the hell did they think it was reasonable to have a customer do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Holy poo poo that is insane