Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

DasNeonLicht posted:

Always go to shows alone. Don't hold yourself back.

i have gone to 150+ shows since I moved to NYC a few years ago, and probably <20 were with other people

i used to feel self conscious about it, but now whenever I go to a show with someone else, I realize that while I enjoy hanging out with them, the only part of the concert going experience that is made better is having someone to hold my spot when I run to the bathroom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

CLAM DOWN posted:

They played that along with all of my other favourites, it was amazing

Excited to go see them at the Aragon, and finally not alone!

DasNeonLicht posted:

Always go to shows alone. Don't hold yourself back.

I did go see Alvvays alone.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
I did go to a festival alone once, and that actually really sucked, because I am a little shy about talking to strangers at shows, cell service was jammed, and I was just bored to tears when there weren't bands I wanted to see playing. A day is a long time not to have anyone to talk to...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New Broken Social Scene track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHoHArv7FZY

Also going to shows alone is great. If I made myself only go to shows when I had people to go with, I probably wouldn't have gone to at least half the shows I've been to.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Also going to shows alone is great. If I made myself only go to shows when I had people to go with, I probably wouldn't have gone to at least half the shows I've been to.

Nobody I know wants to see Sleigh Bells or KKB or Dizzy or Bomba Estereo or Alvvays or Let's Eat Grandma or Muncie Girls or Peach Kelli Pop.

Misogynists. drat I'm going to be broke.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

T Bowl posted:

The National, Cat Power, and Pheobe Bridgers tonight but no one wants to go. Pit tickets (about first 15 rows gen admission standing area) are $75..

Worth it to say gently caress it and go alone?

Going stag allows me to free myself from the moral baggage of making someone else line up hours before doors to rush the pit for GA at National shows

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Going stag allows me to free myself from the moral baggage of making someone else line up hours before doors to rush the pit for GA at National shows

The thing about Merriweather though is if you get a pit ticket you 99% have an amazing spot even just casually coming in for it. $76 is just really loving steep, but I can probably haggle someone to $60 or so since the pit isn't even sold out the day of the show (because that's really expensive like I said, the seated spots directly behind are $56).

It's like 15 rows or so of standing and it's perfect and I insist on doing the pit for 90% of the shows I have went to there.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Got a woman to give me her will call info for a ticket at $60 on an honor system of paying after I pick up.

Hell yeah. First time seeing them.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

T Bowl posted:

Got a woman to give me her will call info for a ticket at $60 on an honor system of paying after I pick up.

You aren't going to regret it!

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Newest Chvrches album didn't do much for me, but EoE and Bones still feel like some of the best. I would love to see them again, but they didn't come anywhere close to me on this album run. drat all you coast people getting all the shows all the time.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

CLAM DOWN posted:

CHVRCHES is amazing live. Just, gently caress. So good.

I saw them on the Every Open Eye tour and they must have had a bad setup or something cause the reverb was horrible. Such a shame too cause I love them. If you say there great though, I'll give them another shot when they come back through.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

101 posted:

I saw them on the Every Open Eye tour and they must have had a bad setup or something cause the reverb was horrible. Such a shame too cause I love them. If you say there great though, I'll give them another shot when they come back through.

Aw sorry to hear that. Hopefully it was just that sound setup and/or venue? I didn't find them any worse than other bands as far as that goes, sounded pretty loud and good to me.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I saw them this summer and the sound was great. I could hear every instrument (and voice) and it was a good volume. this was at an outdoor festival, too

In 2015, were they a small enough act that they were relying on house sound engineers? and/or was that venue known for having bad sound

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Lutha Mahtin posted:

In 2015, were they a small enough act that they were relying on house sound engineers? and/or was that venue known for having bad sound

Possibly.

and I've only ever seen them and Mac DeMarco there. Mac sounded great but obviously a very different vibe.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
The new churches album took a bit to grow on me but it’s been in steady rotation for awhile now. Forever, Get Out, Graves, and Miracle are super poppy but I’m all about it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Schremp Howard posted:

The new churches album took a bit to grow on me but it’s been in steady rotation for awhile now. Forever, Get Out, Graves, and Miracle are super poppy but I’m all about it.

Graffiti is my fave, but yeah the album definitely grew on me after my initial mediocre feelings

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Don't imagine I need to introduce this thread to them, but just a reminder as we head into fall that the newest Horse Feathers album is pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37FBPEF9zMM

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

101 posted:

This was my experience as well, I think on the same tour. Just garbage sound, all I could hear was bass and a little of the vocals. One of the worst shows I've been to.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
So the drummer for Sigur Ros has been accused of sexual assault and has resigned from the band

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

After a loving dreadful summer of nothing good to see, I got to a show last night and saw two good bands.

Dream Wife
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKVn8SgguEA

Russo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGBc-3wvwiI

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

T Bowl posted:

Got a woman to give me her will call info for a ticket at $60 on an honor system of paying after I pick up. [The National at Merriweather]

Oh drat, I was there too in the pit (by myself), front row barrier towards the right! What did you think? I thought the show kicked rear end.

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

Obviously, you're not a golfer.
just saw father john misty for the second time on saturday. it definitely hammered home the fact that he is one of the best live acts working today. if you get the chance, even if youre so-so on his albums, go.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Anonymous John posted:

Oh drat, I was there too in the pit (by myself), front row barrier towards the right! What did you think? I thought the show kicked rear end.

Yeah it was good stuff, not my favorite but still very enjoyable.

jeffLebowski posted:

just saw father john misty for the second time on saturday. it definitely hammered home the fact that he is one of the best live acts working today. if you get the chance, even if youre so-so on his albums, go.

This is 100% true. I saw him at Red Rocks in August and was blown away by how good his band sounds and the entire presentation of his performance. His set list was mixed really well. I saw him in 2015 and it was good but not even close to as good as his show is now.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

last weekend the national played a two day "festival" in NYC, where they played a 2 hour set each night and had a bunch of openers. it sold so poorly they gave out a fuckton of tickets, so i went for free the second day because of the insane opening lineup: bully, us girls, cat power, and future islands. thoughts:

bully kicked rear end to a completely empty and lifeless crowd. i'd seen them a couple years ago at a very late night in a tiny club, but somehow felt the same level of energy here, even though i was in bowl seats instead of standing directly in the front row like last time. i get the sense that they're used to playing midday festival slots and weren't bothered by the lack of people, or the number of people straight up lying down in the floor section. they only had a half-hour set, but seemed to be playing at about 110-120% speed to squeeze in as many songs as they could. would love to see em yet again

us girls, on the other hand, stuck to their usual free jazz extended freakouts, which meant their half hour set contained a grand total of four songs. still, they played MAH and Time, which are respectively my second-favorite and first-favorite songs from my favorite record of 2018, so i was happy as hell. i'd last seen them in amsterdam, where they played to a pretty dead crowd and their sound was just horribly mixed, so i was excited to get to see them again. thankfully, they sounded way better, but unfortunately, the crowd was absolutely baffled by the concept of "dancing," even as the singer yelled and begged for them to do so during Time. this pretty much confirmed my belief that everyone who likes the national is an incredibly boring person. still, it was fun to watch us girls's faux-confrontational shtick turn into being actually confrontational and angry. they loving rule and i hope to see them again too

cat power was fine! i know zero of her songs, but she sounded fantastic, and i was happy to listen to new stuff. will probably give her an earnest shot, maybe see her on her new album tour when she returns to nyc in a bit

future islands ruled. they got a full hour, and it was the first time i'd gotten to see them live. singles was my favorite album of 2015 (wasn't it everyone's? at least, in terms of indie rock?), but i missed the tour, and it was great seeing them bring so much energy to a now pretty-packed crowd. this finally got people moving. they actually only played two songs from singles - seasons (duh) and a dream of you and me - which was a bit disappointing, considering how much i love that record, but i enjoyed what they played from the far field too. they also played balance, which is a great track, and, oddly, four songs off in evening air - a record i'm definitely not familiar with, but now really want to check out. can't complain about this set at all considering i got to see it for free, of course. and yes, future islands's frontman still does all the ridiculous dancing, chest pounding, and hardcore growling you'd expect.

then we stuck around for the national. i was originally planning to leave before they went on, because they're one of my least favorite bands in the world. some friends of mine showed up and wanted to see them, though, so i decided to stick around, and... man, i don't know. they were fine, i guess. their harder, louder stuff was way more energetic than i had expected, and they had a good light show? man, that frontman just seems like a giant dick, though. he kept yelling at his band members and throwing poo poo at the crowd, acting as if he deserved some level of swagger, when he has the most boring rock band making music right now. idk, maybe he was pissed that his shows so undersold that they had to give away tickets, but you'd think he wouldn't take that out on the people who did show up. my friends were pissed because their favorite record by the national is high violet, and they played almost nothing from that album (because they had played half of it the night before). also, honestly, considering this is supposed to be their festival, they also were the worst-sounding by a mile, with the vocalist just straight up inaudible any time the music rose over the dirge-like baseline of the national.

all in all, a fun show hurt by a bad crowd and the national continuing to exist. i continue to be baffled that anyone likes them, including the posters above. the one thing i will say is that they had some limited release beer collaboration with a local brewery at the show, and it was a pilsner that i really liked... but then that sold out before cat power even went on, and i had to stick to $10 heinikens instead.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Sharon Van Etten finally announced a new album, coming out in January 2019. The first single(?) is available at your streaming location of choice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US4xCFUuHuQ

interpunct fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 2, 2018

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

All that for free? drat did you luck out.

I am out to another show tonight. Seeing Fickle Friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsbfJBzcBaE

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

abraham linksys posted:

future islands ruled. they got a full hour, and it was the first time i'd gotten to see them live. singles was my favorite album of 2015 (wasn't it everyone's? at least, in terms of indie rock?), but i missed the tour, and it was great seeing them bring so much energy to a now pretty-packed crowd. this finally got people moving. they actually only played two songs from singles - seasons (duh) and a dream of you and me - which was a bit disappointing, considering how much i love that record, but i enjoyed what they played from the far field too. they also played balance, which is a great track, and, oddly, four songs off in evening air - a record i'm definitely not familiar with, but now really want to check out. can't complain about this set at all considering i got to see it for free, of course. and yes, future islands's frontman still does all the ridiculous dancing, chest pounding, and hardcore growling you'd expect.

Dude look up anything they did prior to Singles, it's all just as good. Albums,singles,EPs, whatever. Event their first album Wave Like Home which is a little more lo-fi is still great

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Singles is an amazing album, but Balance and Tin Man are still better.

I am also just now discovering Amyl and the Sniffers the night before they come to town.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M46RU_JEoTw

Slandible fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 3, 2018

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Slandible posted:

They booked a two-day festival in a venue that’s a pain in the rear end to get to and has consistently been comping tickets for shows all year long.

Like a sucker, I paid for my ticket to both nights. Still had a hell of a time, though.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

abraham linksys posted:

last weekend the national played a two day "festival" in NYC, where they played a 2 hour set each night and had a bunch of openers. it sold so poorly they gave out a fuckton of tickets, so i went for free the second day because of the insane opening lineup: bully, us girls, cat power, and future islands. thoughts:

bully kicked rear end to a completely empty and lifeless crowd. i'd seen them a couple years ago at a very late night in a tiny club, but somehow felt the same level of energy here, even though i was in bowl seats instead of standing directly in the front row like last time. i get the sense that they're used to playing midday festival slots and weren't bothered by the lack of people, or the number of people straight up lying down in the floor section. they only had a half-hour set, but seemed to be playing at about 110-120% speed to squeeze in as many songs as they could. would love to see em yet again

us girls, on the other hand, stuck to their usual free jazz extended freakouts, which meant their half hour set contained a grand total of four songs. still, they played MAH and Time, which are respectively my second-favorite and first-favorite songs from my favorite record of 2018, so i was happy as hell. i'd last seen them in amsterdam, where they played to a pretty dead crowd and their sound was just horribly mixed, so i was excited to get to see them again. thankfully, they sounded way better, but unfortunately, the crowd was absolutely baffled by the concept of "dancing," even as the singer yelled and begged for them to do so during Time. this pretty much confirmed my belief that everyone who likes the national is an incredibly boring person. still, it was fun to watch us girls's faux-confrontational shtick turn into being actually confrontational and angry. they loving rule and i hope to see them again too

cat power was fine! i know zero of her songs, but she sounded fantastic, and i was happy to listen to new stuff. will probably give her an earnest shot, maybe see her on her new album tour when she returns to nyc in a bit

then we stuck around for the national. i was originally planning to leave before they went on, because they're one of my least favorite bands in the world. some friends of mine showed up and wanted to see them, though, so i decided to stick around, and... man, i don't know. they were fine, i guess. their harder, louder stuff was way more energetic than i had expected, and they had a good light show? man, that frontman just seems like a giant dick, though. he kept yelling at his band members and throwing poo poo at the crowd, acting as if he deserved some level of swagger, when he has the most boring rock band making music right now. idk, maybe he was pissed that his shows so undersold that they had to give away tickets, but you'd think he wouldn't take that out on the people who did show up. my friends were pissed because their favorite record by the national is high violet, and they played almost nothing from that album (because they had played half of it the night before). also, honestly, considering this is supposed to be their festival, they also were the worst-sounding by a mile, with the vocalist just straight up inaudible any time the music rose over the dirge-like baseline of the national.

all in all, a fun show hurt by a bad crowd and the national continuing to exist. i continue to be baffled that anyone likes them, including the posters above. the one thing i will say is that they had some limited release beer collaboration with a local brewery at the show, and it was a pilsner that i really liked... but then that sold out before cat power even went on, and i had to stick to $10 heinikens instead.

Thanks for sharing all that. I actually attended night 1 of There's No Leaving New York (alongside Merriweather). Missed all the opening acts, got there at like 7:30 just in time for The National, who's set I even preferred over the night before. Phoebe Bridgers also came out to perform I Need My Girl and Sorrow with them, and it made those songs even better.

I think the front man deals with performance anxiety for which he compensates by drinking too much. He wasn't acting obnoxious on the two nights I saw him at though.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i saw chvrches tonight and it the entire stage was a neon vaporwave explosion of color. really went well with the synths. security was insane for the show because apparently Lauren (the girl singer) has some stalker fan :(

fun show though. a little kid in the front row of the pit got the set list :3:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Saw First Aid Kit again tonight, my goodness they are amazing

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

It's all just a big misunderstanding, I would never do anything to hurt Lauren.

Cat Power cliff notes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpXaWUaBe7E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqy2GgOGe_8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMxjaye7tNY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzHiBJhC9oU

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Slandible posted:

Singles is an amazing album, but Balance and Tin Man are still better.

Tin Man and Long Flight live are soooooo good.

Literally a year ago tomorrow I saw them at a sold out 400 person club and it was incredible. That was the fifth time I've seen them and Sam never sounded better somehow.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Lutha Mahtin posted:

apparently Lauren (the girl singer) has some stalker fan :(

She cannot catch a break. When she started calling out people trolling her twitter and mailing list, she became a target for weirdos.

Sucks :(

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Ratios and Tendency posted:

It's all just a big misunderstanding, I would never do anything to hurt Lauren.

:chloe: please don't.

Captain Hotbutt posted:

She cannot catch a break. When she started calling out people trolling her twitter and mailing list, she became a target for weirdos.

That's really lovely. I've gone to over half a dozen shows now at The Palace in St. Paul since it opened, and the line to get in last night was unlike anything else we'd ever seen. I think the opener (Lo Moon) started at 8 PM. We got there around 8:20 or 8:30, and the line was a serpentine monster, backed up dozens (or hundreds?) of people. It was the usual (for here) pop/rock concert routine with producing your ID and holding your pockets in your hands to get patted down. But the pat-down was much more thorough than anything I've gone through. Usually at this venue (and many similar venues around here) you get about a four-part pat down: shoulders, front hips, back hips, legs. This one was much more involved, with various pats on areas I wasn't even familiar with (mid-chest front pec/chest pat-down??)

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Slandible posted:

I am out to another show tonight. Seeing Fickle Friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsbfJBzcBaE

I saw them live last week. They put on a great show. They sold out a small venue in DC to a crowd that knew nearly all the words to their choruses and many of the verses and middle eights. It was quite an atmosphere for someone liked them but didn't have a sense of just how big they would be. It was a really cool experience.

Thank you to forums poster plz dont pull out for the recommendation back in April. I've really been enjoying their album. I admire the guts it takes to put out a 50-minute pop album, and they should be very proud — I think it really flows.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

security was insane for the show because apparently Lauren (the girl singer) has some stalker fan :(

I'm glad I had the chance to get her autograph back in 2014. Seems like it would be a difficult thing to do today :smugdog:

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

DasNeonLicht posted:

I saw them live last week. They put on a great show. They sold out a small venue in DC to a crowd that knew nearly all the words to their choruses and many of the verses and middle eights. It was quite an atmosphere for someone liked them but didn't have a sense of just how big they would be. It was a really cool experience.

I was a bit underwhelmed. I think it was because the leader singers voice was strained and she was struggling a bit through their set. I like their album, but I just wasn't feeling it.

DasNeonLicht posted:

I'm glad I had the chance to get her autograph back in 2014. Seems like it would be a difficult thing to do today :smugdog:

I like that she got ahead of all the misogynistic turds early on in her career. Sucks she has to take all the heat from those people, but glad shes been very outspoken about it.

I think I am going to drag my rear end out tonight for another show. 3 out of 4 days this week so far, but these Amyl and the Sniffers are just a straight up 70s punk rock band and I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWT1R8R2S1E

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

i remember when i saw chvrches at central park a couple years ago and lauren took the time to shut down some idiot who yelled MARRY ME LAUREN between songs. she is cool and i am bummed she has to deal with all these creepers :(

just caught that tune-yards and us girls are doing a small US tour starting in a couple weeks:

quote:

October 18th – Mayan Theater, Los Angeles CA, US
October 19th – The Glass House, Pomona CA, US
October 20th – The Fillmore, San Francisco CA, US
October 22nd – Roseland Theater, Portland OR, US
October 23rd – Neptune Theatre, Seattle WA, US
October 26th – The Majestic Theatre, Madison WI, US
October 28th – Beachland Ballroom, Cleveland OH, US
October 30th – MASS MoCA, North Adams MA, US
October 31st – Higher Ground Ballroom, Burlington VT, US
November 1st – Paradise Rock Club, Boston MA, US
November 2nd – Knockdown Center, Maspeth NY, US

might hit up that knockdown center show. actually saw tune yards a couple weeks ago opening for david byrne, but would see 'em again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

angrygodofjebus posted:

Tin Man and Long Flight live are soooooo good.

Literally a year ago tomorrow I saw them at a sold out 400 person club and it was incredible. That was the fifth time I've seen them and Sam never sounded better somehow.

This reminded me because I saw them at Mercury Lounge a few years ago, check out The Snails, it's a side project of Sam and William from Future Islands and some of their Baltimore music friends.
Super reductive pitch: it's Future Islands with a Sax instead of synth and all the songs are about being a snail