Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mewse
May 2, 2006

david carmichael posted:

At least in canada theyve been trying to push more of the effort on to their brand partners (bell media via tsn and ctv), but they have nothing in their contract that actually requires bell to do poo poo, so it hasnt really worked well

I remember they cut Tom Wright as well who was a good ambassador for the sport up here. Led me to this article, apparently it was 80% of the canadian operation got laid off:

https://torontosun.com/2016/10/19/ufc-cans-a-majority-of-its-canadian-staff/wcm/650ef9bd-034b-49aa-8d7a-4b1423b48bea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

david carmichael posted:

At least in canada theyve been trying to push more of the effort on to their brand partners (bell media via tsn and ctv), but they have nothing in their contract that actually requires bell to do poo poo, so it hasnt really worked well

Guess they’ll have to learn from that idea/bad contract or find better media partners in Canada. Things change when new owners take over

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
They even cut chuck loose which Dana called a lifetime position lol

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Cage Kicker posted:

'member Helldump2K? Now calling someone the R word gets you banned

feel free to try on me

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Skip My Posts posted:

Guess they’ll have to learn from that idea/bad contract or find better media partners in Canada. Things change when new owners take over

Yeah. I dont quite understand what you mean when you said theyve been replaced though

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
They’ve been replaced by wme employees

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Sorry your friends were laid off tho for real

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

lol

https://twitter.com/dc_mma/status/1045690409643458561

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Khabib vs Conor is next week and it sure doesn’t feel like it is

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Skip My Posts posted:

Sorry your friends were laid off tho for real

Oh no. My friend was the one guy who didnt get laid off. I know him through the liaison at bell media who absolutely refuses to help him out lol. Wme havent exactly picked up the slack for the marketing team, but i dont know about any of the other departments that got sliced

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Hes gonna lose again

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

handsome only face posted:

feel free to try on me

but I don't think you're the R word

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I'd rather see DC vs Brock than watch Jon Jones kill him again

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

david carmichael posted:

Oh no. My friend was the one guy who didnt get laid off. I know him through the liaison at bell media who absolutely refuses to help him out lol. Wme havent exactly picked up the slack for the marketing team, but i dont know about any of the other departments that got sliced

Lmao drat son

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Khabib vs Conor is next week and it sure doesn’t feel like it is

They probably figure the fight markets itself and if you believe Dave WWE PPV Numbers Guy McGregor got a larger cut of the PPV than ever before.

I'd be shocked if it does under 1 million buys, but for what it's worth no one outside the MMA bubble has asked me about the fight. That was not the case for both Diaz fights, the Eddie fight, and definitely not the Mayweather fight.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Skip My Posts posted:

They even cut chuck loose which Dana called a lifetime position lol

Guess it was hard to justify the position of, "Guy who comes to events to do coke with me".

mewse
May 2, 2006

TheKingslayer posted:

Guess it was hard to justify the position of, "Guy who comes to events to do coke with me".

They promoted one event as "The Card That Chuck Built" which seemed desperate to show Chuck was actually doing something

mewse
May 2, 2006

Talking about Chuck meant I had to check on Forrest and he's still doing promo events for the UFC, he even gets to hang out with llamas

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

mewse posted:

Talking about Chuck meant I had to check on Forrest and he's still doing promo events for the UFC, he even gets to hang out with llamas

Forrest, unlike Chuck, actually showed up to the offices and made them give him something to do. He's the only "lifetime" employee to stick around after the WME buyout, iirc, in large part because he's the only one that actually worked.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Does anyone know who Jones snitched on yet?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Mr. Nice! posted:

Forrest, unlike Chuck, actually showed up to the offices and made them give him something to do. He's the only "lifetime" employee to stick around after the WME buyout, iirc, in large part because he's the only one that actually worked.

Big Nog kept his retirement job too because he, like Forrest, actually does stuff for the company.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Most likely a bunch of guys and someone who supplies them PEDs

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Big nog has a UFC job?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
the valuation of the ufc increasing has nothing to do with them suddenly getting smart about marketing fights. part of it is they're slashing costs and pushing more product but the public stock market has risen by about nine trillion in value over the last 20 months based on literally nothing. The price of Amazon was under 1000 this time just last year! Equity valuation is through the roof everywhere and that definitely has a strong effect on a private enterprise like this.

The UFC is selling more commercials because they have more shows but that has nothing to do with marketing stars.

This post does not constitute an offer to sell, a solicitation of an offer to buy, or a
recommendation of any security or any other product or service by Gay Horney or
any other third party regardless of whether such security, product or service is referenced in this forum post. Furthermore, nothing in this post is intended to provide tax, legal, or investment advice and nothing in this website should be construed as a recommendation to buy, sell, or hold any investment or security or to engage in any investment strategy or transaction. Gay Horney does not represent that the securities, products, or services discussed in this post are suitable for any particular poster.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Forrest was in that one commercial recently that was pretty funny with his truck

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

wasn't matt hughes actually doing work at ufc as a fighter liasion before he tried to outrace a train with his truck?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Skip My Posts posted:

Big nog has a UFC job?

Big Nog (I discovered by accident) has a FightPass show where he travels the world exploring different martial arts.

https://www.ufc.tv/category/the-3rd-degree-with-minotauro-nogueira

It isn't great, because seeing a massive Brazilian guy with choppy english go in and "learn" aikido is a bit absurd when you know he could murder the entire dojo with his bare hands.

e: ok he didn't do an aikido episode but his killing powers shouldn't be in much doubt

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 28, 2018

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Skip My Posts posted:

Big nog has a UFC job?

Yeah, he got one of those Dana “I’m forcing you to retire by giving you this brand ambassador job” deals that Chuck and Hughes got but he actually does stuff like the Fight Pass show so he’s still around

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Also Forrest seems like a good dude that wanted to still work hard after fight retirement and has always come across as thankful for all the opportunities and success his UFC shot gave him in interviews about his career and whatnot so it's great to see him not end up punch drunk and broke

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!

Jon Jones innocent.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Gay Horney posted:

the valuation of the ufc increasing has nothing to do with them suddenly getting smart about marketing fights. part of it is they're slashing costs and pushing more product but the public stock market has risen by about nine trillion in value over the last 20 months based on literally nothing. The price of Amazon was under 1000 this time just last year! Equity valuation is through the roof everywhere and that definitely has a strong effect on a private enterprise like this.

The UFC is selling more commercials because they have more shows but that has nothing to do with marketing stars.

This post does not constitute an offer to sell, a solicitation of an offer to buy, or a
recommendation of any security or any other product or service by Gay Horney or
any other third party regardless of whether such security, product or service is referenced in this forum post. Furthermore, nothing in this post is intended to provide tax, legal, or investment advice and nothing in this website should be construed as a recommendation to buy, sell, or hold any investment or security or to engage in any investment strategy or transaction. Gay Horney does not represent that the securities, products, or services discussed in this post are suitable for any particular poster.

Lol what

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The stock market went up based on literally nothing lmao

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Count Roland posted:

Big Nog (I discovered by accident) has a FightPass show where he travels the world exploring different martial arts.

https://www.ufc.tv/category/the-3rd-degree-with-minotauro-nogueira

It isn't great, because seeing a massive Brazilian guy with choppy english go in and "learn" aikido is a bit absurd when you know he could murder the entire dojo with his bare hands.

e: ok he didn't do an aikido episode but his killing powers shouldn't be in much doubt

That’s bad rear end

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Southpaugh posted:

close the thread and start over in october. gently caress

UFC October: Stock(ton) Slap Fight

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Well poo poo, DC finally managed to murder Jones.

DaFrugalGamer
Aug 6, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
steroids should be legal

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Forrest was in that one commercial recently that was pretty funny with his truck

The one where TJ & Dom are fighting over a parking spot and Forest barrels in and goes all Ric Flair on them for stealing their spot?

Because yeah that was the only good commercial UFC has put their fighters in as of late.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Also the commercial where Sage comes to help with math homework like in my dream journal.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's the Toyo Tires one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe7AM-bEKkI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

UFC October: The Hunt For Red Panties

• Locked thread