Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I don't know much about hardware but I've been thinking about NESflix. I know there's been talk of getting SNES on there, but what chance of them putting up the original Gameboy games. Not even GBC or GBA just GB?

I was always under the impression that the GB was very similar to the NES, but again I know nothing about it. Could it be done with relative ease? I feel like there's a fairly sizeable backlog of good games there that are rarely ever mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

RandomFerret posted:

It is definitely the best single-stick controller.

All single-stick controllers are garbage.

What else only had 1 thumbstick? The only other single sticks I can think of are joy sticks where you grip it with an entire hand.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

pixaal posted:

What else only had 1 thumbstick? The only other single sticks I can think of are joy sticks where you grip it with an entire hand.

Dreamcast, PSP, arguably the 3DS,

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Could it be done with relative ease?

If some Brazilian dude can single-handedly make functioning emulators for homebrew enabled Switches, then surely - surely - it wouldn't take Big N a tremendous amount of time or effort

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I don't know much about hardware but I've been thinking about NESflix. I know there's been talk of getting SNES on there, but what chance of them putting up the original Gameboy games. Not even GBC or GBA just GB?

I was always under the impression that the GB was very similar to the NES, but again I know nothing about it. Could it be done with relative ease? I feel like there's a fairly sizeable backlog of good games there that are rarely ever mentioned.
It's insanely easy for them to do but it's also Nintendo so it will never happen. We'll continue to get 3 NES games a month for the next year and maybe on the one year anniversary of Nintendo Online Service they'll unlock 14 SNES games to play.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

100YrsofAttitude posted:

If you are talking about the Nintendo Online sub that gives you 20 NES games, nobody has any idea what they will release in the future. Judging from what they were able to put on the Wii VC and what they currently have on the DS systems, they will literally be able to put any game from their back catalog that they would like to.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Bleck posted:

If some Brazilian dude can single-handedly make functioning emulators for homebrew enabled Switches, then surely - surely - it wouldn't take Big N a tremendous amount of time or effort

Functioning is very different from sellable product, which generally needs to go through QA, ratings boards, etc.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Amppelix posted:

Functioning is very different from sellable product, which generally needs to go through QA, ratings boards, etc.
These are gameboy roms. It's not rocket science.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

While yes, it would need to be done, for games Nintendo owns they could probably get all the approvals in a couple weeks. The issue is Nintendos effort and I dont trust them to do it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s never been about difficulty, they are a multi billion dollar company. It’s always been about want

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah of course they can do it, but if anyone's ever wondered why they don't just dump their rom collections on the store, it's precisely because it's not a zero effort job.

There are probably other reasons as well, but that's certainly one of them.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Hey Nintendo you FUCKS, explain cutting this guitar Rosalina you incompetent BUFFOONS

https://twitter.com/NinEverything/status/1045740965812727808

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Gameboy emulation is functionally "solved" it's just a matter of if they think the games would look good or compelling enough on a TV or the switch's relatively large screen in 2018.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The Game Boy is way superior to the NES imo (it has Link's Awakening)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Amppelix posted:

Yeah of course they can do it, but if anyone's ever wondered why they don't just dump their rom collections on the store, it's precisely because it's not a zero effort job.

There are probably other reasons as well, but that's certainly one of them.

I believe they are just running an emulator with a ROM so it would be very low effort to make a script hit every rom and pair it with some box art then create a store page for it with the box text (all of this is done by tons of software already using publicly available information)

They haven't done that because if you flood the market you de-value everything else. Throw 300 NES titles on the store suddenly you have more NES games than Switch games. What about someone who has never played a game before? What if they are a 7 year old kid that says "that looks fun" and they end up with a bad NES game. I'm sure there's also some licensing issues for anything they didn't publish as well.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nintendo can obviously do what they want with their games but I’m just going to keep emulating their old games for free if they aren’t willing to let me buy them in a convenient fashion :shrug:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Your Computer posted:

The Game Boy is way superior to the NES imo (it has Link's Awakening)

The gameboy has better hardware in some places and worse in others. Gameboy is mono colored, this simplifies a lot of things. It also has a much smaller screen. It has a much larger screen coverage percent when you compare it to an NES so it can change more per frame. I think it's less the gameboy being a powerhouse and more the NES being rather anemic.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Now I wanna replay Link's Awakening DX

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

It's just crazy to be how Nintendo will try to backpedal their VC stuff.

We all know it's doable but they just want to sell more minis.

I bet that a VC wouldn't hurt mini sales too bad since people like to have physical collector's items.

Let me just pay you $15 for Chrono Trigger for the sixth time, you cowards!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

CuddlyZombie posted:

Now I wanna replay Link's Awakening DX

:hmmyes:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
YOOKA LAYLEE PHYSICAL DISCOUNT CODE

If anyone still cares, you can pre-order the Yooka Laylee Switch physical edition here:

https://limitedrungames.com/products/limited-run-13-yooka-laylee-preorder

and use code SAVESOMECOINS for 10% off

Today and Tomorrow only

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Al Borland Korn posted:

Gameboy emulation is functionally "solved" it's just a matter of if they think the games would look good or compelling enough on a TV or the switch's relatively large screen in 2018.

That didn’t stop them from bringing over NES games, a lot of them don’t look that much different from NES games

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

The Bloop posted:

YOOKA LAYLEE PHYSICAL DISCOUNT CODE

If anyone still cares, you can pre-order the Yooka Laylee Switch physical edition here:

https://limitedrungames.com/products/limited-run-13-yooka-laylee-preorder

and use code SAVESOMECOINS for 10% off

Today and Tomorrow only

I'm not going to buy the physical copy but is this game even good?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

DariusLikewise posted:

No

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DariusLikewise posted:

It's fine

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

DariusLikewise posted:

Did you like Banjo-Kazooie?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DariusLikewise posted:

It's fine. It is what it is, which is definitely not for everybody.

If you'd consider playing Banjo Kazooie, DK64, or Conker's BFD in 2018, it's more of that.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

It's just crazy to be how Nintendo will try to backpedal their VC stuff.

We all know it's doable but they just want to sell more minis.

I bet that a VC wouldn't hurt mini sales too bad since people like to have physical collector's items.

Let me just pay you $15 for Chrono Trigger for the sixth time, you cowards!

Make amiibo's for each game, you now own the game on any Nintendo console that can read an amiibo.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

CharlestheHammer posted:

That didn’t stop them from bringing over NES games, a lot of them don’t look that much different from NES games

Well the main issue is they are only four colors.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Bloop posted:

It's fine. It is what it is, which is definitely not for everybody.

If you'd consider playing Banjo Kazooie, DK64, or Conker's BFD in 2018, it's more of that.
:yeah:

I enjoyed it (after they fixed the camera) because it's basically just more Banjo Kazooie and that's all I ever expected from it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

pixaal posted:

Make amiibo's for each game, you now own the game on any Nintendo console that can read an amiibo.

We are sad to report that all amiibo support has been suspended indefinitely.

Please understand.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Can anyone recommend a good starter guide to someone totally new to Monster Hunter and bought MHGU? I'm doing the tutorial missions and stuff but still find myself a little overwhelmed and all the videos on youtube I've found are really specific (like how to do this one specific thing). Looking just for a general guide for noobs (doesn't have to be on youtube or a video guide)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

At launch it was awful, now after patches its exactly as good as someone making a Banjo Kazooie clone in 1999 but with mindblowing graphics.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

A Gameboy Mini would be interesting. Supposedly they could just release a gameboy looking thing but with ROMs. I feel like that would sell tons on Nostalgia alone (imagine if they gave it different cases, like the transparent one), but Gameboys aren't the most convenient portable being fairly bulky and would people, especially younger generations, tolerate such a small screen?

Maybe the solution would to be releasing a mini in the form of the GBC. I imagine they just won't ever do it. Nintendo has always treated their portables somewhat differently from their consoles. Which is what makes the Switch stand out even more. Will they even continue having a separate portable division once the 3DS wraps up?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Hey Nintendo you FUCKS, explain cutting this guitar Rosalina you incompetent BUFFOONS

https://twitter.com/NinEverything/status/1045740965812727808

Galaxy is a great game, but I've never liked Rosalina. Sure the series needs more women, but she just seemed like a knock-off version of Peach but in Space!. Does she even have much of a personality? Daisy is cool because they've managed to write her in a way that's different. Pauline's resurrection in Odyssey was great and somewhat inspired. Rosalina just seems to have no purpose whatsoever.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
If the switch has fully functional NES to Gamecube emulation + a large catalogue of games i might not ever use another console again for the foreseeable future

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

rosalina’s personality is annoying rear end keepaway character who nullifies all projectiles for free.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Samopsa posted:

If the switch has fully functional NES to Gamecube emulation + a large catalogue of games i might not ever use another console again for the foreseeable future

Hell not only would I pay for online, I would be fine with them bumping it up a bit

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

Can anyone recommend a good starter guide to someone totally new to Monster Hunter and bought MHGU? I'm doing the tutorial missions and stuff but still find myself a little overwhelmed and all the videos on youtube I've found are really specific (like how to do this one specific thing). Looking just for a general guide for noobs (doesn't have to be on youtube or a video guide)

Find a weapon you lick and stick with that weapon type. Kill monsters and make better weapons of the same type. Each weapon has it's own completely unique play style. In most of the games the first few missions are going to be gathering missions but you should soon take off into hunt missions where you have a single objective kill or capture a specific monster (it's probably going to be the only boss, but there may be others roaming that you don't need to kill).

First thing you probably want is to craft yourself some armor, the bonuses are really nice and that is what you will mostly want. While you are still getting used to the controls for your weapon you are going to want high defense so you can take some hits.

You want multiple weapons so you can hit elemental weaknesses (same type, though you could go with a fire sword and an ice gun lance no problem, it's just more learning curve so start out easy). You may want to actually look up the elemental weaknesses of each boss monster on a wiki they aren't always obvious.

You will be killing each boss monster multiple times, and probably in different environments. After awhile you will unlock hi-rank, this is a completely new set of armor, you will want to spend some time gathering to increase the defense. As this is an expansion game you will also have access to G-rank after Hi-Rank which is even more crazy fun stuff.

Attacking is going to feel unresponsive / clunky at first for many weapons, especially the big rear end ones. There are few if any frames you can cancel an attack on, so you are basically committed to the swing I mean look at the size of that weapon you are swinging it think about how much momentum it has. You can't easily side step. If the Twin Daggers (Deamon blades?) are in that version they are can be good for just weaving in and out if that's your play style.

Try out all the weapons, you should start with a starter set for each.

edit: what you want is to open a wiki open the page for a monster before you start a mission to hunt it, and match your weapon's element to it's weakness, if you don't have one you might want to look into building one. Don't get too into building weapons before hi-rank as the power level gap between normal hi and G are all very large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Hell not only would I pay for online, I would be fine with them bumping it up a bit

I'd pay $20 a month if it got me access to Nintendo's catalog through the Gamecube

• Locked thread