Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
when do u start finding the other companions? im currently doing the kobold/mite quest with the original three that joined me from tutorials end (i know i could’ve gotten 1 doing the rival quest 1st)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

If you head west doing the Stag Lord stuff, you'll get ambushed by some slavers and end up finding their camp. You'll get a couple companions from that.

I didn't grab them til I was level 3 and they started off at level 2. Kinda annoying that they're still a level behind by level 5.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it
'Kinda annoying' sums up my overall experience with the game so far. It feels like they stuck too closely to the Pathfinder ruleset without much consideration for how the mechanics shake out in a RTWP game.

I wouldn't call it bad, it's just gradually making me want to go back and finish Pillars of Eternity instead.

Semi-related, has anyone found a way to adjust character stats without editing the save? I'm not happy with my PC's or the charisma fighter's.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
I may jump into the game. I got a couple of questions:

1. Bioware has spoiled me, and it's hard for me to play a RPG without voice acting. I couldn't really get into PoE because the lack of voice acting. Do they voice act most/all the dialogue in this game?

2. Are there charisma/diplomatic checks in this game? Would making a PC that's a "talker" be beneficial? Also, is it possible to get a companion to talk on your behalf and use your companion's diplomatic checks?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Dahbadu posted:

I may jump into the game. I got a couple of questions:

1. Bioware has spoiled me, and it's hard for me to play a RPG without voice acting. I couldn't really get into PoE because the lack of voice acting. Do they voice act most/all the dialogue in this game?

2. Are there charisma/diplomatic checks in this game? Would making a PC that's a "talker" be beneficial? Also, is it possible to get a companion to talk on your behalf and use your companion's diplomatic checks?

No, Voice Acting is like PoE.
Yes, at least one character should have high charisma/persuasion, diplomacy etc. The good thing is that he checks are shared in your party, so no need to force your main be the face.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I probably already know the answer to this, but does the game use PF's existing domain management rules? 'Cause those were, uh... not great.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I wonder if not Valery has her stats dumped into charisma because she's supposedly "so beautiful".

There are so few portraits! Neverwinter Nights 2 did it infinitely better, at least it would look like your character.

Oh hey, they've already released a second hotfix. That's promising. :toot:

edit
They didn't fix the bug that prevents you from hiring mercs. :downs:

Poil fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 28, 2018

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I assumed it's because of her paladin-y backstory.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Am I retarded or can you not ground-target with Alchemist bombs? I tried both settings on the "snap to enemies" thing, both with and without the Ctrl modifier but it seems to say ground targeting is invalid either way (despite no change in the targeting circle).

I'm mostly messing around with characters at the moment in the first area to figure out what I like, and the one common thread seems to be man some of those fights are ball bustingly hard for a baddie like me.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Zodiac5000 posted:

I picked up this game and my initial review is as follows, for the four groups of people I see it mattering to:

People who don't know poo poo about 3rd edition DnD or Computer RPGs

People who know how computer based RPGs work but not familiar/interested in Pathfinder

People who know Pathfinder but aren't super familiar with computer RPGs

People who know both pathfinder and computer RPGs

Good breakdown that I’d largely agree with. I’m somewhere between 2 and 4, in that I’m experienced with CRPGs but newer to TTRPGs so the only system I have an in-depth knowledge of is D&D 5e. I’m still early on in this game due to trying out a few characters, but I’m actually finding it harder to get a handle on the mechanics of this than something like PoE.

For now I’ve just got it cranked down to Easy because between bugs and lack of systems knowledge, I was struggling. I’ll gradually ramp it up as I go and as patches come out I guess.

Also, the worst annoyance by far is the speed of movement. Even relatively unburdened and in good conditions, it’s sluggish to move around. Earlier today I found myself on a map where I was 1) fatigued 2) overburdened, and 3) it was pouring rain. Pure rage.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

escalator dropdown posted:

Also, the worst annoyance by far is the speed of movement. Even relatively unburdened and in good conditions, it’s sluggish to move around. Earlier today I found myself on a map where I was 1) fatigued 2) overburdened, and 3) it was pouring rain. Pure rage.

The whole game is very slow. Loading is slow, moving around the world map is slow, resting is slow, walking is slow. I had to do the entire banquet when I got the kingdom in slow walking because I was exhausted which was SUPER annoying.
The initial loading time is the absolute worst, it's like loading a cassette game, I feel like it's 1989 again.

Can anyone tell me how to do the Lonely Hunter quest in Lake silverstep village to the east? I just don't know what to do. I have the problem in this that Divinity 2 had which is I've done a quest (I think) but it doesn't update my journal so I go to the quest giver and just hope that maybe it's done. It's not with every quest but I really don't like things being left undone.

Taear fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 28, 2018

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Help! I'm still in chapter 1, and at level 3. My xp is 6744/9000 needed for l4. I'm hunting Tartucio near the sycamore, haven't killed the boss at the elk shrine. I've explored everything else. I haven't killed the troll at the oak tree (I suppose I haven't explored that area), or the walking tree thing at the sycamore tree. I have 37 days left. I have 6 party members thanks to the slavers.
What's my situation?:
a: hosed
b: I need to rush but it's doable
c: that's plenty of time?

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
As much as people have been asking for patches, have the developers promised a patch in the near future that addresses combat difficulty?

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I'm enjoying this game a lot. I just hit level 6 and am starting to build my kingdom and this all makes the game so much better than the other CRPGs out. Every RPG should allow you to build an awesome kingdom.

The game is difficult though. I chose the difficulty step one level above the standard difficulty and some fights are insanely tough. If my main character wasn't an Evoker who casts Fireballs 2 levels higher than he should, I'm not sure how I would have dealt with certain fights (and when he was low level it was magic missiles, so many things died to magic missiles that none of the other characters could even hit)

Octavia looked bad to me as a person who never really played much Pathfinder, but holy hell, being able to sneak attack with cantrip spells is pretty drat good she ended up putting out a lot more damage than I thought she would. It does suck that she's still a 1/2 a level below the rest of the party though, even after training her as the kingdom project.

Taear posted:

The whole game is very slow. Loading is slow, moving around the world map is slow, resting is slow, walking is slow. I had to do the entire banquet when I got the kingdom in slow walking because I was exhausted which was SUPER annoying.

You can disable the slow movement penalty due to encumbrance in the difficulty menu, which should make you walk at normal speed during that part even though you are exhausted.

deathbagel fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 28, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

redreader posted:

Help! I'm still in chapter 1, and at level 3. My xp is 6744/9000 needed for l4. I'm hunting Tartucio near the sycamore, haven't killed the boss at the elk shrine. I've explored everything else. I haven't killed the troll at the oak tree (I suppose I haven't explored that area), or the walking tree thing at the sycamore tree. I have 37 days left. I have 6 party members thanks to the slavers.
What's my situation?:
a: hosed
b: I need to rush but it's doable
c: that's plenty of time?

It's fine although the sheer amount of resting you're going to need to do walking around might hurt. Once you kill the boss you mentioned you can go and sort out the Stag King.
It's hard to say it's plenty of time or not though because resting sometimes takes 20 hours and sometimes takes 6 and you're going to be doing loving loads of it.

deathbagel posted:

Octavia looked bad to me as a person who never really played much Pathfinder, but holy hell, being able to sneak attack with cantrip spells is pretty drat good she ended up putting out a lot more damage than I thought she would. It does suck that she's still a 1/2 a level below the rest of the party though, even after training her as the kingdom project.

I had her train Tristan and him train her which was funny (and dumb)

Madcosby posted:

As much as people have been asking for patches, have the developers promised a patch in the near future that addresses combat difficulty?

It's been in beta for ages, I don't think they're going to be changing it.

deathbagel posted:

You can disable the slow movement penalty due to encumbrance in the difficulty menu, which should make you walk at normal speed during that part even though you are exhausted.

Exhausted always makes you walk half speed, I've had the encumbrance penalty off the entire time because I play on Story.

Taear fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 28, 2018

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Madcosby posted:

Hotfix 1.02 already readjusted tutorial/ act 1 battles, like replacing the wolves with Thylacines that have no trip ability, warning you about swarms and giving you flasks to use, some encounters now scale to your level and also adjusted resistances of some monsters like the Treant Bear.

Story and Easy mode are now even easier.
Details here.
https://owlcatgames.com/forums/showthread.php?5127-1-02-Patch-Notes

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The pathfinding in the game is so rubbish. When you're in a wide open field with two rocks why is it all your characters want to run through the rocks instead of just going around?
This happens to me LOADS, probably because I have an animal companion and it's just so irritating.

My thought is that the AI still sees the other characters as being able to be walked through, but they can't be when you're in combat. So they just...stand there.

I've managed to solve Lonely Hunter. I didn't realise that while a dialogue choice may be greyed out there could be new things under that dialogue choice that weren't there previously. Which is...bad and I'd like that fixed!

Taear fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 28, 2018

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Taear posted:

The pathfinding in the game is so rubbish. When you're in a wide open field with two rocks why is it all your characters want to run through the rocks instead of just going around?
This happens to me LOADS, probably because I have an animal companion and it's just so irritating.

I do agree, if there's ONE thing Pathfinder should have done better, it's pathfinding.

About Kingdom mode Where do I get a Financial advisor? I have explored all of the north area and a decent amount of the area with the troll infestation and still have no financial advisor but would really like one.

djkillingspree
Apr 2, 2001
make a hole with a gun perpendicular

Taear posted:

The pathfinding in the game is so rubbish.

the irony

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

deathbagel posted:

I do agree, if there's ONE thing Pathfinder should have done better, it's pathfinding.

About Kingdom mode Where do I get a Financial advisor? I have explored all of the north area and a decent amount of the area with the troll infestation and still have no financial advisor but would really like one.

West of the capital in a river ford. I think you have to do the troll stuff first?

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Thank god they adjusted the DR on the treant bear, because holy poo poo that thing was insane before. That area is actually what drove me to adjust the difficulty down to Story at points, because I was fighting it on normal and really, really not impressed watching my damage be literally nil.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Taear posted:

West of the capital in a river ford. I think you have to do the troll stuff first?

Oh, the gnome? Yea, he's just hanging out there for now, I guess I know what I'll do next then

Zodiac5000 posted:

Thank god they adjusted the DR on the treant bear, because holy poo poo that thing was insane before. That area is actually what drove me to adjust the difficulty down to Story at points, because I was fighting it on normal and really, really not impressed watching my damage be literally nil.

I didn't notice any of these difficulty spikes, but every tough fight for me was "send Valerie and her 30 AC in first then unload every Magic Missile spell on whatever it is until it dies" until I met the horror that are wererats (who are for some reason immune to Magic Missile, and no they didn't cast the Shield spell)

deathbagel fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 28, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Here's a hint that I had no idea about - if a character falls unconcious you can bring them back by just magically healing them. I thought you'd need something special.

quote:

I didn't notice any of these difficulty spikes, but every tough fight for me was "send Valerie and her 30 AC in first then unload every Magic Missile spell on whatever it is until it dies" until I met the horror that are wererats (who are for some reason immune to Magic Missile, and no they didn't cast the Shield spell)
If your main character isn't an arcane spell caster it's a bit of time before you've got one though. And it's an arse having to manually cast spells honestly.

Taear fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 28, 2018

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Taear posted:

Here's a hint that I had no idea about - if a character falls unconcious you can bring them back by just magically healing them. I thought you'd need something special.

If your main character isn't an arcane spell caster it's a bit of time before you've got one though. And it's an arse having to manually cast spells honestly.

You can right click on a spell on the hotbar and your character will use that as his auto-attack until he can't cast it anymore.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

deathbagel posted:

You can right click on a spell on the hotbar and your character will use that as his auto-attack until he can't cast it anymore.

I know. But it's just one spell and they spam it completely regardless of anything that's going on. That's fine if you have a nice per-encounter setup but with vancian casting it's a bit lovely.

I'm absolutely used to tests in CRPGs being a number and not a dice roll and christ it's annoying that it's otherwise. It just makes me save scum to get the right result instead of being prepared. If I KNOW there's a good answer to something I'll keep doing it over and over and over.

Taear fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 28, 2018

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, I´ve been stuck in character creation for pretty much two hours by now and could really use some help in what kind of character I should go for at my first stab at the game. I thought I had a decent grasp of DnD 3.X but I realize that I´m one hell of a greenhorn compared to what this game demands of me.

EDIT: Would the smartest thing be to go for a bog standard Fighter or Rogue with some extra emphasis on skills or should I go in another direction?

Sylphosaurus fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 28, 2018

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, I´ve been stuck in character creation for pretty much two hours by now and could really use some help in what kind of character I should go for at my first stab at the game. I thought I had a decent grasp of DnD 3.X but I realize that I´m one hell of a greenhorn compared to what this game demands of me.

EDIT: Would the smartest thing be to go for a bog standard Fighter or Rogue with some extra emphasis on skills or should I go in another direction?

I'm not good at this game but I chose the preset paladin and he's decent. A friend who's a pathfinder nerd said that clerics are god-tier. I'd do a good cleric for healing spells (if that's how it works in this setting)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

redreader posted:

I'm not good at this game but I chose the preset paladin and he's decent. A friend who's a pathfinder nerd said that clerics are god-tier. I'd do a good cleric for healing spells (if that's how it works in this setting)

You get TWO clerics as NPCs though. I'm not saying not to be one but that's a lot of clerics.

I'd pick an arcane caster if I was starting over, a Sorcerer is pretty easy as you don't have to gently caress about with memorising spells.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
How close to 3e/nwn rules is pathfinder? Thinking about picking this up but I dont really have time to pour through hundreds of spells and feats and what not trying to learn the systems. I've probably played nwn and its sequel for over a thousand hours, so I know the ins and outs of 3rd edition.

Probably going to play a half-orc barbarian with a giant gently caress-off axe, but figured some knowledge would be required to manage the party.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

mem posted:

How close to 3e/nwn rules is pathfinder? Thinking about picking this up but I dont really have time to pour through hundreds of spells and feats and what not trying to learn the systems. I've probably played nwn and its sequel for over a thousand hours, so I know the ins and outs of 3rd edition.

Probably going to play a half-orc barbarian with a giant gently caress-off axe, but figured some knowledge would be required to manage the party.

It's DnD 3.75. You should just read up on some of the extra core/prestige classes the game offers.
Smalls differences in spells, feats and some mechanics will become obvious as you play since you are familiar(like in Pathfinder, you can sneak attack undead)

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

In the pathfinder rule set full casters are flat out better than anything else, and clerics have an early game advantage over most full casters in that they can wear decent armor and don't completely suck swinging a weapon when the spells are gone. Don't get caught up in the idea of having your clerics heal in combat, generally combat turns are better spent murdering the opposition than trying to undo incoming damage.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

mem posted:

"What if 3.5, but grappling was a bit simpler and wildshape was toned down a tad?"

It will be very familiar to you.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Taear posted:

You get TWO clerics as NPCs though. I'm not saying not to be one but that's a lot of clerics.

I'd pick an arcane caster if I was starting over, a Sorcerer is pretty easy as you don't have to gently caress about with memorising spells.

Be aware, there’s supposedly some buggy poo poo with sorcerers and the Spell Focus and Spell Specialization feats right now.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I'm at the Ruined Watchtower and I'm trying to find some cogs.

I've already got two. One was from some bandits on a hill. One was from a dead bandit to the south west. She also had a letter saying the last one was hidden in a tree "you know the one".
There's a big old tree in the zone that shows up as something important on the map. It had some guys in front of it that though something was buried there but I told them they'd been lied to and they hosed off.

Now I have no way of searching this tree. I thought maybe the bandit was talking about a tree at HER camp but nope, the bandit camp is empty. What do I do? Have I broken the quest?

Edit: Ah no the note she had was nonsense and the final cog was in a chest. Okay, phew. But baffling.

The Crotch posted:

"What if 3.5, but grappling was a bit simpler and wildshape was toned down a tad?"

It will be very familiar to you.
What if 3.5 but there's some more classes and a billion billion types of weapon all with their own proficency?
The game sure loves Exotic weapons.

Taear fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 29, 2018

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I've been playing this a bit, at a pretty low difficulty. But a lot of the time it just feels like I'm accidentally stumbling into really high-level areas compared to what my people can do.

It just feels like the controls and the real-time-battle style don't mesh enough for me to ever feel in control. I kinda wish in this case that the game was turnbased, with tiles or hexes instead of what it is like this.

I am trying to stick it out to see how the kingdom-building stuff goes, since I've unlocked that.

Also, the Pathfinder rules have 5-foot steps: is there any way to use that in this game? Without it ranged/spellcasters feel disadvantaged, not being able to distance themselves from enemies to attack without getting AoOs.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Taear posted:

What if 3.5 but there's some more classes and a billion billion types of weapon all with their own proficency?
The game sure loves Exotic weapons.
"Firearms rules" is apparently some sort of arcane phrase that inflicts madness on any d20 developer.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Can someone explain Magus to me? Front-line caster seems like a recipe for disaster. I'm doing a sorcerer run now but Magus caught my eye but was too alien and in no way does this game help you outside letting you know which stats are best for the class.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The game has so many loving strange moments where what happened doesn't match the later text.
I find a dwarf, bitten in half. I had the option of [Chaotic Good] put the dwarf out of it's misery. So I did.

But now if I click on the dwarf it says "This mad dwarf was trying to put a curse on you, so you killed it". What, that didn't happen at all!

Also for anyone who has an animal companion - if they're stood at a locked door that you have the key for it'll tell you that you don't have the key because your pet is trying to open it. As long as you move the pet, it'll work. I guess it's because it doesn't use your stash?

Taear fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 29, 2018

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I hate how I can be traveling on the world map, I end up Fatigued from the movement, I get a random encounter I fail to avoid and now I can't travel again because I'm overburdened because my STR dropped from the Fatigue. So now I gotta drop some of the loot I've gathered and it's lost forever because loot doesn't stay on random maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
You can rest on encounter maps, so rest to clear the fatigue and go from there?