Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Just renewed my membership, am slightly annoyed that the Ringwood Melbourne store doesn’t have the Mexican beef bake any more and they’ve changed suppliers for some of the specialty cheeses and now they’re not quite as good. The food court now has cheeseburgers and they’re decent though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
They have free hotdog samples at Costco. It’s like the most Costco thing ever.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

This unwarranted chicken bake hate....why!? If they are so bad why they still on the menu!

In not food news, I need more of those drat storage containers. I had no idea they stacked until after I bought only 1..

saaaaaaaaaaaame. I bought one pack of three, then realized I needed like 10 more. So I went back to Costco the following week and they were all gone.

Ended up getting them at K-Mart for six bucks a pop, which isn't the worst price but they're not as good.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Re: Chicken Bake Hate

I don’t hate them, I just don’t think they are as good as the $1.50 polish/hotdog and drink combo, or more similarly priced, a slice of pizza and a drink. It’s got a lot going for it and I’d choose it over the other two if I can’t sit down and eat it and have to leave right away for some reason.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
Got a free dog and soda for confirming my email at Costco today when I went to stock up on winter clothes and frozen foods

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Bucnasti posted:

Tustin CA, I used to live at a place equidistance from three Costco, two of them brand new Super Costco. And I didn't have to deal with the freeway to get to any of them.

Where was that? Like ICD and Culver? I've never been to the Costco at Tustin Marketplace, I always go to the one a whole TWO MILES away from it at The District. Looking at google maps I realize they're both about the same distance from my office but I think the district one is more convenient since its further from the 5. The one on Barranca is 3 miles away so it might as well be on another planet.

I gotta get more peanut butter still because they didn't have any of the organic ones the last time I was there and only had the Skippy brand junk.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Am I in heaven?
No, I’m in Costco suburbia.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Yup that's definitely Friday traffic in Irvine.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Chinatown posted:

Yup that's definitely Friday traffic in Irvine.

They make a big deal about how safe Irvine is, but they disregard the fact that the traffic is murder

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

FCKGW posted:

Am I in heaven?

Yup, I used to live near the E in Woodbridge. It was like being in at the convergence of ley lines.

Good Dog posted:

Where was that? Like ICD and Culver? I've never been to the Costco at Tustin Marketplace, I always go to the one a whole TWO MILES away from it at The District. Looking at google maps I realize they're both about the same distance from my office but I think the district one is more convenient since its further from the 5. The one on Barranca is 3 miles away so it might as well be on another planet.

I gotta get more peanut butter still because they didn't have any of the organic ones the last time I was there and only had the Skippy brand junk.

The one at Marketplace is the oldest one, it's a little on the small size and parking sucks, the Irvine one is nice but a pain to get in and out of.But the one at The District is the best, they have it all, it's the nicest Costco I've ever been to.
I think the District Costco was supposed to replace the Marketplace one, but evidently there was enough reason to keep it open.

Now I live in Hollywood which is like a Costco desert, I have to drive all the way to Glendale to get my dogs.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Received the annual reward from Church today: $134.

PBUC

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anyone buy a car battery from the co?

Edit - just bought one. Really good battery for $75 with return of old battery. Amazing.

Also, chili is great. Al Pastor salad is gone from this one. Replaced with real beef.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 29, 2018

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Renegret posted:

saaaaaaaaaaaame. I bought one pack of three, then realized I needed like 10 more. So I went back to Costco the following week and they were all gone.

Ended up getting them at K-Mart for six bucks a pop, which isn't the worst price but they're not as good.

What are these storage containers?

PBUC

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Got myself a Sherpa Throw last night. I am now in the cool club.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

El Jebus posted:

Re: Chicken Bake Hate

I don’t hate them, I just don’t think they are as good as the $1.50 polish/hotdog and drink combo, or more similarly priced, a slice of pizza and a drink. It’s got a lot going for it and I’d choose it over the other two if I can’t sit down and eat it and have to leave right away for some reason.

Yeah it's more of an opportunity cost than anything. If all there was was the chicken bake it would be cool and good, but if having a chicken bake means no pizza or no dog, then that's not optimal.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

FCKGW posted:

Am I in heaven?

no poo poo? I'm within a 20 min. drive of most of those places. Central OC for the win! I needs to get more of that beef bulgogi, which I'm pretty sure is made of crack cocaine based on the addictiveness.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Kaincypher posted:

no poo poo? I'm within a 20 min. drive of most of those places. Central OC for the win! I needs to get more of that beef bulgogi, which I'm pretty sure is made of crack cocaine based on the addictiveness.

The secret is sugar.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
The chicken bakes are trash, and honestly, while the pizzas are better they are some of the worst pizza you can get, any decent local pizza place is going to blow it out of the water ($10 is admittedly a crazy good deal for it though).

Lord forgive me for my blasphemy, but I find the food court to be a disaster besides the $1.50 hot dog WITH refill.

Even great classic items like the berry smoothie uses a completely watered down recipe from what they were offering a few years ago. As for the salad, using fake al pastor should be punishable by death considering how delicious real al pastor is. What a bait and switch.

The Acai bowl is alright but it's nowhere near as good as a real acai bowl. Granted, not a terrible deal for $5, but not a great one either.

Costco clearly understands that the food court is kind of poo poo, which is why they keep on making changes, but the changes they have made just don't make me confident that they even know what's wrong. Like, chili? Fake al pastor? Come on son. Sure you can make a chili dog, but 99% of people are not going to go to that kind of effort. They should just make a chili dog on menu if that's the goal.

On top of that they got rid of the mother. loving. polish.

Get your poo poo together, Costco food court.

e: And not to beat the shareholder drum but when was the last time that they intro'ed a true value item? They mostly try to get you to pay $4 for chili out of a bag or lettuce with soy pastor. These are all positioned to make plenty of profit, which is also why they cut the polish.

They want to have the hot dog and the pizza on the menu alongside profit-making items and it leads the entire menu to come off as kind of a poo poo show. Focus on value, or don't, but these half measures are kind of ridiculous.

Taima fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 29, 2018

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Ultimate Mango posted:

The secret is sugar.

I live in Korea and can confirm: they add sugar to everything.

Bulgogi is really good though; I should eat it more often.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Am I in heaven?

Ah yes, the Costco Trail. Highlights include the two Costcos in Tustin only 3 miles apart by car, and the two Costcos in Laguna Niguel only 3 miles apart by car.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

FogHelmut posted:

Anyone buy a car battery from the co?

Edit - just bought one. Really good battery for $75 with return of old battery. Amazing.

Also, chili is great. Al Pastor salad is gone from this one. Replaced with real beef.

I bought a Kirkland brand battery 3 years ago, it's worked admirably, starting my car on cold winter days with the block heater not plugged in.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

pacerhimself posted:

I bought a Kirkland brand battery 3 years ago, it's worked admirably, starting my car on cold winter days with the block heater not plugged in.

I looked at equivalent batteries at AutoZone, they're in the $150 range. Costco wins again.

Also, the Bridgestone car emergency kit they sell is pretty legit for the cost. It includes a lot of items. I'd say it's worth the $30 alone just for the jumper cables. The case is really nice and should fit anywhere, and there's room inside to add more items. Maybe throw in a wrench and a tire plug kit and you're set.

https://www.costco.com/Bridgestone-Emergency-Roadside-Kit.product.100339740.html

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Taima posted:

The chicken bakes are trash, and honestly, while the pizzas are better they are some of the worst pizza you can get, any decent local pizza place is going to blow it out of the water ($10 is admittedly a crazy good deal for it though).

Lord forgive me for my blasphemy, but I find the food court to be a disaster besides the $1.50 hot dog WITH refill.

Even great classic items like the berry smoothie uses a completely watered down recipe from what they were offering a few years ago. As for the salad, using fake al pastor should be punishable by death considering how delicious real al pastor is. What a bait and switch.

The Acai bowl is alright but it's nowhere near as good as a real acai bowl. Granted, not a terrible deal for $5, but not a great one either.

Costco clearly understands that the food court is kind of poo poo, which is why they keep on making changes, but the changes they have made just don't make me confident that they even know what's wrong. Like, chili? Fake al pastor? Come on son. Sure you can make a chili dog, but 99% of people are not going to go to that kind of effort. They should just make a chili dog on menu if that's the goal.

e: And not to beat the shareholder drum but when was the last time that they intro'ed a true value item? They mostly try to get you to pay $4 for chili out of a bag or lettuce with soy pastor. These are all positioned to make plenty of profit, which is also why they cut the polish.

They want to have the hot dog and the pizza on the menu alongside profit-making items and it leads the entire menu to come off as kind of a poo poo show. Focus on value, or don't, but these half measures are kind of ridiculous.
I've been saying generally this for awhile and agree. The pizza is... fine for the price but otherwise just ho-hum calorie bomb. Other than just being a really cold rainy day and really craving a hot slice of pizza right then and there.

:agreed: on the acai bowl. Someone told me it's actually much better if you get the froyo-swirl version of it, but just the plain acai was kinda weirdly bland icy trash. I've been to San Diego a bunch, and acai bowls are all a loving craze here in the bay area so its not like i can't get them by walking around a corner for maybe $7. I'd gladly pay an extra $2 for a really good one.

I do disagree on the al pastor though, just because there isn't really much vegetarian friendly things on the menu so it's cool to have that option. Other than asking for a chicken caesar without chicken, or a cheese pizza. Maybe trying to offer both real and soy? I dunno. Then again when I think Costco, I personally don't think "SALAD WOO!!" as an item I get excited about vs like an actual customizeble salad place.

I used to love the polish but man the last few times I've got it it's been dried out overcooked garbage. I think they just don't get enough turnover with them, so I guess I can't blame em for getting rid of them.

Also I think they changed their chicken bake like 10+ years ago, it used to a be a bit better back then but since just sucks.

churro is still good for $1 tho

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug
Went to Costco today for some chicken bakes (I actually like them) and on my way out, I saw they had Sherpa Hoodies for $12.99 each.

All the warmth of the Sherpa blanket in a hoodie

PBUC

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Xaris posted:

I do disagree on the al pastor though, just because there isn't really much vegetarian friendly things on the menu so it's cool to have that option. Other than asking for a chicken caesar without chicken, or a cheese pizza. Maybe trying to offer both real and soy? I dunno. Then again when I think Costco, I personally don't think "SALAD WOO!!" as an item I get excited about vs like an actual customizeble salad place.

churro is still good for $1 tho

Good points all around. To clarify, I'm not against the concept of soy pastor. What annoys me is that they call it an "al pastor salad". Al pastor is very specifically marinated pork that has been spit roasted.

If a hot dog is made of soy, they don't call it a hot dog. They call it something cute like a Smart Dog or a Healthydog or something, because a hot dog is an extremely specific food item.

Besides, the thing is, Costco already serves real al pastor! I hit up Costco for booze last time I was in Cabo. They have a permanent al pastor pizza that is real al pastor, mainly because if you tried to pull that soy pastor poo poo in Mexico you would be dragged behind a large horse.

So they DO actively make both soy and traditional al pastor for various locations. I agree that the obvious play is to serve both. Then they can start serving both veggie and real al pastor tacos/burritos/etc.

And yeah, the churro is good! And it fits right in with serving food items based on both real and soy al pastor, so clearly there is synergy here between Mexican-centric food court items.

e: a short video about the real al pastor pizza served in Mexico: https://www.facebook.com/CostcoMex/videos/pizza-de-pastor/1510344859035298/

Taima fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 29, 2018

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Hambulance posted:

Went to Costco today for some chicken bakes (I actually like them) and on my way out, I saw they had Sherpa Hoodies for $12.99 each.

PBUC

:eyepop: My Costco doesn't have these, and neither does the online store :smith:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
I’d guess they probably have some different food distribution and production in Mexico but yeah they viably could do it here and prolly should. I’m just not that picky on the terminology they use even tho real al pastor is indeed good

Like I’d love to have the bulgogi bakes, maybe the jacketed potato. But oh well

I’d say yeah focus on cheap and quick to-go esque easy to eat street foods would be reasonable. Something like chili, or salads, or burgs just ehhh don’t sound very appealing and I think trying to more “diner it up” is the wrong move. Especially because it really can’t handle people at allll so they really need lots of “self contained” things that people to take it away or easy to have ready and eat, or unless it’s one of those newer Costco’s with outside food courts, that seems like a smart move for the future but I’m sure it’s less than 1% of their stores

Like try for $3 prepared burritos of al pastor, grilled chicken, or things like a Stromboli would be bomb. I would also say a coffee station where you grab a cup and fill up from a dispensers of different blends, paid either before or at checkout or something, would be nice. (They used to have free coffee back in the day), and little pastry options (which they also already make and sell like 24 packs of but sometimes you just want one) that go fast would be good since sometimes you just want something light early in the day while shopping.

But I guess it makes more sense from a sales point of view not to sell appetite suppressants and filling cheap pastries so you can bang out a $200 cart of food instead. That’s probably partly why they got rid of it I suppose l

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

They do sell individual pastries in the food court, but maybe not at every one.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
I haven’t seen that, at least not at any of the Californian Costcos

Really don’t want to stand in a long line for a poppy seed muffin tho either so they’d prolly need a different line

Docahedron
May 11, 2008

Im a special snowflake
Had some Costco chili yesterday and it was very good for being Costco chili

I get Wendy's chili frequently and Costcos was way better

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

Ah yes, the Costco Trail. Highlights include the two Costcos in Tustin only 3 miles apart by car, and the two Costcos in Laguna Niguel only 3 miles apart by car.

If you're using the ones in south OC, I'll just assume you're rich enough that you are just sending a manservant/butler to do your shopping for you.

Real question: What frozen foods from Costco should I stock up on? My tastes are all over the place, love their apparently sugar-chocked bulgogi, but I eat everything from soy products to steak. Sadly, even Costco steak is too expensive, even if it is cheaper by the pound.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Kaincypher posted:

Real question: What frozen foods from Costco should I stock up on? My tastes are all over the place, love their apparently sugar-chocked bulgogi, but I eat everything from soy products to steak. Sadly, even Costco steak is too expensive, even if it is cheaper by the pound.
Normandy Blend, Normandy Blend, Normandy Blend.

It's so good and easy for a low-carb no sugar snack (i'm on keto diet right now and its a god send). Throw them on a tray, put them in an oven set to heat to 450f and let some of the water sweat out while it preheats, then when its heated to 450f, drizzle a bunch of olive oil and salt+pepper and throw back in for 30 minutes until crispy. eat with some horseradish aioli from trader joes and it's :discourse:

I would also say you can freeze things like half of the mexican cheese 2-pack, tortilla 2-pack, frozen pizzas if you want and always have stuff to ready-make quesadillas or something. The tikka masala nanwhiches were good for a quick bite, but kinda unfulfilling imo.

The frozen berries are really good for smoothies if you're into smoothies. the sirloin hamburg patties are legit as well. Frozen salmon is pretty good and good value. Lots of people like the ling-ling potstickers and those are p amazing tho i can't eat that many. The mozzarella sticks are amazing, especially with :420: but dangerous imo. There are other things, but those are the highlights

I never do any of the frozen desserts becausee holy moly thats just way too much for 1-2 people, and i don't have freezer space for a giant box of drumsticks or whatever and it's just way too much sugar. The one thing I did get was the frozen mochis which were really good, still hard to eat that much and have space for it but would recommend if you want something sweet.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 29, 2018

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

I picked up some of those frozen French onion soup things and those are way better than frozen precooked soup has any right to be. Thanks thread!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

AuntBuck posted:

I picked up some of those frozen French onion soup things and those are way better than frozen precooked soup has any right to be. Thanks thread!

forgot about those, yeah they're real good and loving fantastic cold/flu winter soup to make you feel :3: on a cold day. if you don't want a huge pack, trader joes sells the exact same ones in a 2-pack. I think its $11 for 6 at Costco vs $4 for 2, so obv better value but $2 each is good price.

To kick them up a notch, grab a thing of gruyere from 'co or TJ and a baguette, when it's like 80% done cooking, throw some slices of toasted baguette ontop and then sprinkle generous quantity of cheese for a cheesy-bread raft ontop. it's delicious and bulks it up a little more.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 29, 2018

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

The mozzarella sticks are full blown obnoxiously delicious. It's a real problem.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Taima posted:

Hey you know what goes good on their hot dogs?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Coredump posted:

Hey you know what goes good on their hot dogs?

acai berries?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

The Hambulance posted:

PBUC

I'm going tomorrow to look for these and if they dont have them I'm going to lose it

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream

Docahedron posted:

I get Wendy's chili frequently and Costcos was way better

:wrong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

Hypnolobster posted:

The mozzarella sticks are full blown obnoxiously delicious. It's a real problem.

Rather than go cold turkey I decided to ease myself into dieting. First thing I did was cut my Costco mozzarella stick consumption by 50% and I immediately lost 13 pounds. Water weight, blahblahblah, but a good bit of that had to have been gooey mozzarella goodness.

I miss them. :(