Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
A wizard sent me to get a whip from some trolls.
When I killed the trolls the wizard quest updated to say he'd been killed, so I just....kept the whip when I found it. He definitely wasn't killed.

So many broken quest prompts and chains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Having the time of my life with this game. Put in over 24 hours so far, but I'm still fooling around in act II.

I might have hosed something up, though. I ran into the swamp witch and she attacked me for breaking her window, so now it seems I can't get anywhere with the lost child quest?

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

Datasmurf posted:

Having the time of my life with this game. Put in over 24 hours so far, but I'm still fooling around in act II.

I might have hosed something up, though. I ran into the swamp witch and she attacked me for breaking her window, so now it seems I can't get anywhere with the lost child quest?

I just did that section. Maybe next time ring the doorbell? the witch tells you that the mom killed her kid and is looking for someone else to blame.

I'm amused by how...predictable the evil DM is. Can you interact with it? Better save! Interactable campsite? TPK. Interactable well? TPK. Basically assume this is the D&D version of A Series of Unfortunate Events and whatever is worse than the worst thing you can imagine will happen when you click the thing.

Also just how loving long do I have to play before I can make my characters not have red portraits from death's door?

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really enjoyed being endlessly exhausted due to the dreams until I finally loving found where they were coming from /s.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Jimbot posted:

Can someone explain Magus to me? Front-line caster seems like a recipe for disaster. I'm doing a sorcerer run now but Magus caught my eye but was too alien and in no way does this game help you outside letting you know which stats are best for the class.

A Magus exists to be a gish, practically gets an at will bane(this is pretty loving huge), and can eventually wear heavy armor. At least in the tabletop, I haven't played around with it much in this game, but they become extremely decent front liners. I think they can also eventually qualify for some fighter only feats, but I don't think they can qualify for some of the extra fun ones(stagger on crit).

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I got this last night, hit the loving bear at level 2 and then the entire party wiped. Which is weird, because I've been abusing the staple control spells like a mean, cheesy man so combat hasn't been too hard (despite the game generating The Worst Companions) but I can't say I'm overly impressed with the game overall.

Think I might reroll to a sorcerer and see what bloodlines made it into the game. Necromancer wizard kinda sucks as you're locked to turn undead rather than command for some stupid reason.

Might try permakilling Tartuccio in tutorial house.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Datasmurf posted:

I was just doing this when I quit last night, I'm glad I know that now. Everyone got glamoured by the scarecrow apart from my worst combat character and the thirty years it'd take him to kill the thing wasn't worth the wait so I reloaded.

The broken quests are the worst part of the game for me and I don't get why the reviews don't seem to mention anything other than combat combat combat.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
They nerfed the bear like treant.

I've done the temple, and now I should go back to Oleg's and get ready for the stag lord's assault, but tristan is still injured, and the fog is still blocking my way to the castle (I know where it is)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

SirFozzie posted:

They nerfed the bear like treant.

I've done the temple, and now I should go back to Oleg's and get ready for the stag lord's assault, but tristan is still injured, and the fog is still blocking my way to the castle (I know where it is)

I think Tristan stays injured until you clear the Stag Lord, I never got to use him until then. The fog ALWAYS blocks the way if you're trying to go to the east of the castle/river, you have to approach it from the north on the western bank of the river. Even if there's no fog any more and it makes no sense and is a pain.

I'm actually surprised that the game has more companions, I didn't expect to carry on recruiting people. I've got a Ranger and an Alchemist now!

With the companion that's a Wizard/Rogue the game is now levelling her as an arcane trickster but when you've got it on auto level for her it doesn't really give you a lot of information. What does an arcane trickster do other than unlock things from a distance (which doesn't seem to work)?

Taear fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Sep 29, 2018

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Datasmurf posted:

Lost Child Them blaming the witch is just a red herring, I solved it somewhere else

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Taear posted:

I think Tristan stays injured until you clear the Stag Lord, I never got to use him until then. The fog ALWAYS blocks the way if you're trying to go to the east of the castle/river, you have to approach it from the north on the western bank of the river. Even if there's no fog any more and it makes no sense and is a pain.

I'm actually surprised that the game has more companions, I didn't expect to carry on recruiting people. I've got a Ranger and an Alchemist now!

With the companion that's a Wizard/Rogue the game is now levelling her as an arcane trickster but when you've got it on auto level for her it doesn't really give you a lot of information. What does an arcane trickster do other than unlock things from a distance (which doesn't seem to work)?

Sneak attack working with spells. It can lead to some hilarious damage with metamagic feats.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

SubNat posted:

Lost Child Them blaming the witch is just a red herring, I solved it somewhere else

I hate it when quests work like this because it makes it so hard to know if you've done the right thing. Especially when you might have done the wrong thing because of a bug or incorrect journal entry.

JamMasterJim posted:

Sneak attack working with spells. It can lead to some hilarious damage with metamagic feats.

Ah that's cool. I always forget to cast her spells but I guess it's a nice idea.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Taear posted:

I hate it when quests work like this because it makes it so hard to know if you've done the right thing. Especially when you might have done the wrong thing because of a bug or incorrect journal entry.

Yuuuup
I also very much dislike Linzie as an unreliable journal log.

I spent so much time in Act 1 because I went for the rival first, so she updated the log with ' oh we spent so much time that the bandits at the ford had time to clear off'.
So I spent ages running around trying to find them, only later realising that they were hiding in a corner of that map, in a way that you can't spot them at all from the road itself.

Also, is there any quick way out from the throne room and to the 'adventure map', or am I stuck running through town every time I want to head out? (For immersion's sake, of course. )
(Thankfully you can manage a lot of the kingdom stuff on the road, provided you're either in your own territories, or close to the capital, not sure which. )

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I finally beat the Stag Lord. It took sneaking up the back way, webbing the area below those stairs, and casting hideous laughter on him and then beating him until he stopped moving, but it is done.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

SubNat posted:

I spent so much time in Act 1 because I went for the rival first, so she updated the log with ' oh we spent so much time that the bandits at the ford had time to clear off'.
So I spent ages running around trying to find them, only later realising that they were hiding in a corner of that map, in a way that you can't spot them at all from the road itself.

I think at least one significant bandit was not there. Basically in the first bit, it seems like you have to make a choice between going after Tartuccio first or doing 'main quest' first, and whichever you do second, you'll miss some opportunities.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

SubNat posted:

Also, is there any quick way out from the throne room and to the 'adventure map', or am I stuck running through town every time I want to head out? (For immersion's sake, of course. )
(Thankfully you can manage a lot of the kingdom stuff on the road, provided you're either in your own territories, or close to the capital, not sure which. )

Somehow there isn't a way. I really don't believe it but there isn't. It's a bit immersion breaking as well that your Advisers are in the room with you in the throne room and then are also immediately outside and in other locations.
One of the most annoying things for me is checking the kingdom status requires a loading screen because sometimes it's like a minute loading for a single sentence like "You met the petitioner". I mean...come on.

Also earlier on someone linked the stats of four bandits - they're not the bandits that attack you at Oleg's they're the bandits that are asleep near Old Sycamore. They're rock hard and took me ages to beat before I changed the difficulty down from Normal to Story.

Taear fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Sep 29, 2018

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Taear posted:

Also earlier on someone linked the stats of four bandits - they're not the bandits that attack you at Oleg's they're the bandits that are asleep near Old Sycamore. They're rock hard and took me ages to beat before I changed the difficulty down from Normal to Story.

IMO the way to kill those:

Sneak into their camp, and wake up the necromancer among them with sharp objects.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Chairchucker posted:

IMO the way to kill those:

Sneak into their camp, and wake up the necromancer among them with sharp objects.

The easiest way I found was to trigger the fight with my animal companion and let the necromancer waste their fear spell on them. It worked alright but they're still REALLY loving strong considering where they are.
And it's one of those times when you're not sure if you're in the wrong place (so should go away and level) or if you've hosed up somehow and are too weak or what. I found that in Divinity 2 a lot as well and I don't like not being sure.

It's not so bad if every enemy in an area is flooring you but when every combat otherwise is really easy and that one is smashing your face in it's hard to know what you're doing and why you're doing it so wrongly.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Taear posted:

Somehow there isn't a way. I really don't believe it but there isn't. It's a bit immersion breaking as well that your Advisers are in the room with you in the throne room and then are also immediately outside and in other locations.
One of the most annoying things for me is checking the kingdom status requires a loading screen because sometimes it's like a minute loading for a single sentence like "You met the petitioner". I mean...come on.

Yeah, I really wish the game would just have the option to take up more ram to just load everything related to the kingdom stuff while you're on one of the menus. It's just death by a thousand cuts when it comes to a lot of loadscreens in quick succession.

(Also, while I welcome the fact that advisors can both do events/projects, and be out adventuring at the same time, it just strikes me as very dumb. Hey Octavia, could you deal with this thing on the other side of the gameworld while you're sneak-attacking with some spells? Thank you. )

The largest and most baffling QoL feature that's missing has to be the lack of a speed up option. Especially since they do have a 'tactical slowdown' mode.

PS: Please oh please tell me that the artifact reconstruction stuff you can do when you've found enough pieces of a thing is lenient.
Like you only needing 5 pieces of Artifact A, but there are 7-10 or something in the gameworld.

Losing out on artifacts because you didn't notice 1 rock in a corner of some dungeon seems like it would be right up this game's alley though, what with the 'DM' being a dick.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 29, 2018

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

My questions are:

On a scale of 1 to 10, how Chris Avellone™ does the writing get?

What races are available in Character Creation?

Are any of the party members unique races (like a Kobold)?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Kith posted:

My questions are:

On a scale of 1 to 10, how Chris Avellone™ does the writing get?

What races are available in Character Creation?

Are any of the party members unique races (like a Kobold)?

It's not very Chris Avellone at all, actually. Very exposition dumpy but not in the weird metaphysical way he loves.

Human, Elf, Dwarf, Halfling, Gnome, Half Elf, Half Orc, Aasimar.

There's a Goblin apparently, it was a kickstarter goal. I haven't met it yet. Chris Avellone wrote him so maybe he'll be that sort of annoying writing but I don't think so.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

Taear posted:

It's not very Chris Avellone at all, actually. Very exposition dumpy but not in the weird metaphysical way he loves.

Human, Elf, Dwarf, Halfling, Gnome, Half Elf, Half Orc, Aasimar.

There's a Goblin apparently, it was a kickstarter goal. I haven't met it yet. Chris Avellone wrote him so maybe he'll be that sort of annoying writing but I don't think so.

The nihilist dwarf cleric who worships the end of the universe feels extremely Avelloney to me, but you have your choice of several clerical types after the first bit.

But aside from the overly Avellone bits, the entire rest of the game is more like a Weird Pete game from Knights of the Dinner Table. You see, you should have KNOWN that the owlbear had the stats of an adult dragon* from the way its cage splintered as it burst through to eat your halfling.

* yes loving really

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Merrill Grinch posted:

The nihilist dwarf cleric who worships the end of the universe feels extremely Avelloney to me, but you have your choice of several clerical types after the first bit.

That guy is absolutely Xan who I don't think was written by Avellone.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Trying real hard to like this game but it seems my luck of never having a problem with poe1/2 + dos:os1/2 is countered in this game. For the life of me I can't go through any menu stuff/dialogue/spellbooks/etc without risking the game completely freezing up. It took about 10~ reloads to get through the first encounter in Oleg's trading post :(

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Can someone tell me how to rest better? Were rations for sale at Olegs, because I spend the first 16 hours of rest just getting rations.

If I'm trying to remove fatigue/regain spells/ideally get my hp back, should I put no one on hunting? Also, I've never successfully cooked anything, should I put Linzi on some other duty? I never have any healing spells left to use while resting

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Yes, there are rations for sale at Olegs. You can also buy recipes (or find them sometimes) that are for other foods than the default hearty meal. You have to right click them in your inventory and select Copy to learn it, similar to scribing a scroll to a spellbook. You can then select the recipe (and whether to use rations you have on hand or hunt) in the Manage button at the top of the camp menu before you start camping.

I can't really advise you on optimal layout beyond that, though.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Madcosby posted:

Can someone tell me how to rest better? Were rations for sale at Olegs, because I spend the first 16 hours of rest just getting rations.

If I'm trying to remove fatigue/regain spells/ideally get my hp back, should I put no one on hunting? Also, I've never successfully cooked anything, should I put Linzi on some other duty? I never have any healing spells left to use while resting

Rations are REALLY loving heavy and you can't stock up on them because of that. Plus when you're hunting if you've got rations they'll hunt for barely anything and the rations that you can carry will wear out super fast. I just don't think there's a way to make resting less of a massive arse.

Zaodai posted:

Yes, there are rations for sale at Olegs. You can also buy recipes (or find them sometimes) that are for other foods than the default hearty meal. You have to right click them in your inventory and select Copy to learn it, similar to scribing a scroll to a spellbook. You can then select the recipe (and whether to use rations you have on hand or hunt) in the Manage button at the top of the camp menu before you start camping.

The type of recipe being made doesn't affect rations and a lot of them are much harder to get success rolls at than the Hearty Meal. Again it doesn't make resting less rubbish unfortunately.
Although opening an ancient dwarf relic and finding a recipe for onion soup was pretty good.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Taear posted:

The type of recipe being made doesn't affect rations and a lot of them are much harder to get success rolls at than the Hearty Meal. Again it doesn't make resting less rubbish unfortunately.
Although opening an ancient dwarf relic and finding a recipe for onion soup was pretty good.

It doesn't affect rations, but it does affect the DC which is the point I was trying to make but forgot to actually write out explicitly. If he's worried about Linzi failing the Hearty Meal check, it's either spicy wings or pancakes that are like DC14.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Apparently the game is so revolted with my dude and Regongar playing Smash Bros that it's locking me out of playing anymore.

( I entered the city, straight to the throne room. Then when I left it I got a loading screen for the plaza, which loaded straight into the tavern, with not input from me. To play a cutscene with me + Oct and Reg. After a round of smash bros the game just loads up the throneroom, without any lighting, and with my character way offscreen, unable to do anything. )

Looking at the forums posts this apparently happens no matter which one ( or both) you boink.

There are so many errors in the scripting in this game that I genuinely wonder if they'll ever be able to clear them all up.

e: Oh wow. There are over a thousand threads in the bug-report subforum for the game over on steam.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 29, 2018

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
Is sorcerer bugged? People are saying feats aren't applying bonuses, eg no DC increase for specialism. I was gonna jump in but might hold off until it's all fixed. Still playing the poe2 dlc anyway.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
wtf, u can't change ur companions portraits to anime art

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

wtf, u can't change ur companions portraits to anime art

Game of the year.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Merrill Grinch posted:

I just did that section. Maybe next time ring the doorbell? the witch tells you that the mom killed her kid and is looking for someone else to blame.
Wait, there was a doorbell? I was inspecting the gate, tried a few options, and then smashed her windows. Oh well.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

300 MB patch just dropped, no sign of patch notes that I can see though. Hopefully there are some bugfixes.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Zaodai posted:

300 MB patch just dropped, no sign of patch notes that I can see though. Hopefully there are some bugfixes.

Major Issues

Custom companions hiring was not available. Resolution: fixed.

Quests

Quest for artisan Shariel didn't work correctly. Resolution: fixed.
No companion dialogues with Jaethal, Valerie, Linzi, Harrim in the Captial or at Oleg's Trading Post after Old Sycamore dungeon. Resolution: fixed.
Ekundayo’s companion quest prompted you to tell Ekun about your victory over Kargadd even if Ekun is dead. Resolution: Ekundayo's quest now fails automatically if you kill him.
Jaethal couldn’t be found at the Capital square during her first quest. Resolution: fixed.
"Missing Child" Quest: invisible answer in Tig's dialog. Resolution: fixed (player needs to talk to Tig again).

Areas

A specific dialogue option in Chapter 6 broke a story-critical cutscene. Resolution: fixed.
Divine services didn’t work for non-divine casters in Chapter 1. Resolution: Jhod Kavken will now read divine scrolls if there are no divine casters in the party.

User Interfaces

Spell filters did not work properly in the character creation interface. Resolution: fixed.
Malfunction in class feature sorting. Resolution: fixed.
Tooltip with empty description for Strength damage. Resolution: fixed.

Kingdom

Mim's workshop couldn’t be built in Silverstep Village. Resolution: fixed.
Multiple "GreatSuccess" text strings in one of the kingdom events. Resolution: fixed.
Artisan Varrask didn't start the dialogue in the village after suggestion to speak to him. Resolution: fixed.
NPC Kergan didn't start the dialogue after a cutscene on Thorn River Ford. Resolution: fixed.
Battle with Bokken didn't stop correctly when he is in low Hit Points. Resolution: fixed.

Classes

Rage and Defensive Stances are no longer switched off when a character is disabled due to adverse status effects. These stances are switched off only when a character falls unconscious.
Abyssal Bloodline ability Grow Claws should now activate properly.
Artifice Domain ability should now properly activate on Inquisitor.
Knowledge Domain now also adds Lore (Nature) to class skills.
2 level Eldritch Archer couldn’t cast anything but ranged touch spells. Resolution: fixed.

Misc

Skeleton Guardians summoned during the Rest by Jaethal no longer drop loot.
Missing or wrong German, French, and Chinese localisations. Resolution: the next batch of issues is fixed.

System

Possible crash when loading a cloud save after "fresh" game installation. Resolution: fixed.

Some fixes to expect in the next two hotfixes:
We are working on an issue with Pre-order and Kickstarter in-game bonuses. For all players who have these bonuses and start new game after Hotfix 1.0.2 all rewards should be available in the chest at Oleg's Trading Post or Throne Room areas. We are going to make these rewards available for saves made before Hotfix 1.0.2 with the next hotfix. There will be also fixes for Amiri and Jubilost companion quests.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

There's so many really important things that you'd never even know are broken. Like the characters talking after Old Sycamore. I did wonder why they haven't reacted to anything at all for so long.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I get it Valerie is beautiful. I don't need somebody to mention this fact in literally every interaction involving her.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Hmm. Seems I need the old witch for more stuff. Like a book, welp, sorry Bokken.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

There are a lot of weird choices to keep you in the "good" class selection (aasimar and not tieflings, necromancers being locked to turn undead instead of command) but this is undermined by letting you say stupid evil poo poo in just about every dialog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

There are a lot of weird choices to keep you in the "good" class selection (aasimar and not tieflings, necromancers being locked to turn undead instead of command) but this is undermined by letting you say stupid evil poo poo in just about every dialog.

Aasimars were in because of a poll, IIRC.
The choice was betwen them, Dhampirs and Elementals.