Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
You may have to play with them to avoid a hot spot but I never had issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

BurritoJustice posted:

I've found a guy selling LCD-X with the carbon headband and carrying case for $1100 AUD. Seems low enough for me to want to bite, I'm just worried about the weight for extended listening. Does the carbon fibre headband make them more bearable? I see the weight is like 600g which is double my Focals

Suspension headbands are god mode for comfort. Price seems good. Do the usual due diligence on their condition though.

Then again I got used to headphones in the 400 grams and heavier range before I bought my own LCD-X so the extra weight was relatively minor.

It's dramatic when you swap between them and something like the HD58X though :v:

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Sep 25, 2018

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Someone earlier in the thread recommended BeatsX for a ~£100 pair of Bluetooth IEMs, but looking at the amazon reviews there are common hardware faults and plenty of other issues (including the battery life being a fair bit less than advertised for quite a few people). Anyone have any good alternative recommendations?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

El Grillo posted:

Someone earlier in the thread recommended BeatsX for a ~£100 pair of Bluetooth IEMs, but looking at the amazon reviews there are common hardware faults and plenty of other issues (including the battery life being a fair bit less than advertised for quite a few people). Anyone have any good alternative recommendations?

Bear in mind the kind of people who would stereotypically buy BeatsX and ask yourself this question:

Would they treat their IEMs with care and respect or throw them loose into their backpack / stuff them into their pants pocket?

Also if the battery life is "less than advertised" they're probably running them at max power and destroying ear drums. High volume burns more juice and if battery life is a focus wait for Audio Technica's new line of bluetooth over ears to come out so you can get 40 hour + models.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
Looking for headphones for the wife. Please give me your thoughts!

Budget - <100 euros
Source - Laptop computer.
Isolation Requirements - Do you need isolation?
Preferred Type of Headphone - Preferably over-ear.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I guess balanced, I doubt her use warrants a bass heavy tone.
Past Headphones - We now have Sony MDR-XD200. While they still serve their purpose, they are getting old and the fake leather is starting to flake so it's embarrassing. I once bought her a Sony MDR-RF4000K wireless headphone thinking she would like to be a little mobile when watching soaps (she even watches when cooking or other household chores), but she never uses it :( therefore I'm looking for wired headphones only.
Preferred Music - She mostly uses them in the evening for watching tv novelas (Spanish soaps) on her laptop.

To be honest I've already done some research. A friend has Audio Technica ATH-M20x headhones for gaming, and I was kind of eyeing the ATH-M40x's. I tried them on and they sounded really nice, and felt very comfortable and luxurious. My wife's head is a lot smaller than mine though so I don't know if that's an issue with these headphones. They are marketing them as 'studio headphones', which in my untrained mind sounds like a lot of overkill for use on a laptop for TV shows. However, if they are comfortable and produce nice sound I do not care.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sioux posted:

Looking for headphones for the wife. Please give me your thoughts!

Budget - <100 euros
Source - Laptop computer.
Isolation Requirements - Do you need isolation?
Preferred Type of Headphone - Preferably over-ear.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I guess balanced, I doubt her use warrants a bass heavy tone.
Past Headphones - We now have Sony MDR-XD200. While they still serve their purpose, they are getting old and the fake leather is starting to flake so it's embarrassing. I once bought her a Sony MDR-RF4000K wireless headphone thinking she would like to be a little mobile when watching soaps (she even watches when cooking or other household chores), but she never uses it :( therefore I'm looking for wired headphones only.
Preferred Music - She mostly uses them in the evening for watching tv novelas (Spanish soaps) on her laptop.

To be honest I've already done some research. A friend has Audio Technica ATH-M20x headhones for gaming, and I was kind of eyeing the ATH-M40x's. I tried them on and they sounded really nice, and felt very comfortable and luxurious. My wife's head is a lot smaller than mine though so I don't know if that's an issue with these headphones. They are marketing them as 'studio headphones', which in my untrained mind sounds like a lot of overkill for use on a laptop for TV shows. However, if they are comfortable and produce nice sound I do not care.

Maybe Sennheiser HD471i, otherwise probably those ATH-M40x's. Get your missus to try them on in a store (if possible) and and see what she likes more with regards to comfort.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

The earbuds that came with my S8 are falling apart and I need a replacement to use while commuting and working. I'm looking for a cheap pair of bluetooth IEMs (or a decent pair of earbuds), but there seem like a billion knockoffs/generics on the market between Anker and the QCYs. Must have a mic.

Budget - £30 or less. £50 if it's some spectacular pair that will last me two years or more.
Source - Phone (Galaxy S8)
Isolation Requirements - Enough that I can hear podcast voices clearly on a windy day.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM. Has to fit underneath a helmet.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced. Don't really need punchy bass.
Past Headphones - S8 stock headphones, Grado S60s (which sit at home because they're completely impractical for anything but a dedicated listening session)
Preferred Music - Indie R&B, Retrowave, and tons of podcasts.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 25, 2018

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

DancingShade posted:

Suspension headbands are god mode for comfort. Price seems good. Do the usual due diligence on their condition though.

Then again I got used to headphones in the 400 grams and heavier range before I bought my own LCD-X so the extra weight was relatively minor.

It's dramatic when you swap between them and something like the HD58X though :v:

They sold in like two hours, my indecision was killer. I went and listened to some at a local store, decided I was going to get them from that, then they were gone haha. They are definitely different enough to what I own to warrant having, but the price to get them new and put the carbon band on them (and the carrying case) is 2.5x what they go for second hand, so I'm waiting out.

Right now I am waiting to replace all my external audio gear with a RME ADI-2 Pro Black Edition as soon as that launches. Reference AD/DA conversion and super duper clean 20vRMS balanced headphone amp, plus loads of DSP magic. I'm kinda keen to measure all the different DACs and amps I have at hand as a hobbyist thing.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

AfricanBootyShine posted:

The earbuds that came with my S8 are falling apart and I need a replacement to use while commuting and working. I'm looking for a cheap pair of bluetooth IEMs (or a decent pair of earbuds), but there seem like a billion knockoffs/generics on the market between Anker and the billion QCY knockoffs. Must have a mic.

Budget - £30 or less. £50 if it's some spectacular pair that will last me two years or more.
Source - Phone (Galaxy S8)
Isolation Requirements - Enough that I can hear podcast voices clearly on a windy day.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM. Has to fit underneath a helmet.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced. Don't really need punchy bass.
Past Headphones - S8 stock headphones, Grado S60s (which sit at home because they're completely impractical for anything but a dedicated listening session)
Preferred Music - Indie R&B, Retrowave, and tons of podcasts.

If you are looking for something cheap that you don't mind replacing after a year Skull Candy in ears are pretty good, if you don't pay full price. I have a pair of Smoking Buds and for a shade under £20 they sound really good. The only way you will get better or cheaper are Chi-fi stuff like the AKZ's.

The bad colours are often cheap at HMV

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
So my beloved Sennheiser HD280's have finally been broken after 15 years of dutiful service.

Considering just getting another pair to replace them, but thought I'd see what else I should look at.

Budget - < $200
Source - Laptop typically
Isolation Requirements - I work in an open office, and don't want to hear my coworkers.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - Neutral
Past Headphones - The aforementioned HD280's. Also a set of Sennheiser HD1 in ear (M2 IEBT) I use with my phone.
Preferred Music - Indie rock, podcasts

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

5-HT posted:

Sennheiser IE80 or IE80s then. they're usually hovering around $299, but it's pretty easy to pick up a used pair on ebay for under $200.

quote:

These are advertised as "adjustable bass" but only with the bass turned all the way down did they have good sound quality. Otherwise it was just bass bleeding all over the music.

I really don't like this description. I've purchased a bunch of IEMs with this kind of tuning and sent them all back. The sub bass must not interfere with the mids and there must not be midbass bloat. Those 2 things completely ruin music for me. On the other hand, if i can't hear that subbass slam with really nice texture I get sad.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

DancingShade posted:

I think I read somewhere that HD565 Ovations were once their top model. Good find!

Got a new headband fitted yesterday, so I could test them properly while waiting for the new pads to arrive. They have less bass than my HD6XX, but are noticeably more detailed! These might be keepers.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

redeyes posted:

I really don't like this description. I've purchased a bunch of IEMs with this kind of tuning and sent them all back. The sub bass must not interfere with the mids and there must not be midbass bloat. Those 2 things completely ruin music for me. On the other hand, if i can't hear that subbass slam with really nice texture I get sad.

I'm a fan of hybrid IEMs with BAs for the mids/highs and a dynamic driver for the bass.

I liked the Fiio F9s enough that I stuck comply tips on them and bought a (relatively cheap) bling silver cable from Brainwavz.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Sep 26, 2018

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Scoping out what sort of headphones are out there nowadays since its seeming likely ill need a new set soon, any suggestions most welcome.

Budget -between £120-170
Source - my old FiiO E9 (i should probably replace this also so suggestions welcome)
Isolation Requirements - none at all these are for home use
Preferred Type of Headphone - bigger and comfier the better, for long gaming/show watching, music listening sessions. i really would like something extraordinarily comfy.
Preferred Tonal Balance - i like a good V curve most of the time.
Past Headphones -
Senn HD555 was the first decent pair of headphones i owned, loved them til they fell apart, biggest issue is that they fell apart..
HD556 was the set i got to replace them, i like them a lot but i gave them to my girlfriend when i got my
Beyer DT990's, I like these a lot, they werent the most comfortable, but the sound was excellent, love the v response curve unfortunately these are getting old and despite being well looked after the non replaceable cable is having some issues.
Bose QC15 - I got these for a decent price just for travel and i like how they sound well enough, they are good to wear on the bus or in a busy office but they arent very comfortable and having the battery die is lame.
Preferred Music - Lot of folk punk recently but mainly my music taste is IDM and weird electronic things and if im feeling nostalgic some older industrial rock.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

So I have SRH1540's which are good and fine. The alcantara ear pads are starting to wear out and the replacements are $55CAD. Are there cool + good 3rd party replacements for this?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

my HE4XX's arrived and boy are they nice, thanks whoever told me to buy them

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

VostokProgram posted:

my HE4XX's arrived and boy are they nice, thanks whoever told me to buy them

You're welcome.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

DancingShade posted:

I'm a fan of hybrid IEMs with BAs for the mids/highs and a dynamic driver for the bass.

I liked the Fiio F9s enough that I stuck comply tips on them and bought a (relatively cheap) bling silver cable from Brainwavz.

I have a stock of Comply tips because I run a lot and they really help to keep the things in my ears. I'll check out the Fiio F9s.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

borkencode posted:

So my beloved Sennheiser HD280's have finally been broken after 15 years of dutiful service.

Considering just getting another pair to replace them, but thought I'd see what else I should look at.

Budget - < $200
Source - Laptop typically
Isolation Requirements - I work in an open office, and don't want to hear my coworkers.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - Neutral
Past Headphones - The aforementioned HD280's. Also a set of Sennheiser HD1 in ear (M2 IEBT) I use with my phone.
Preferred Music - Indie rock, podcasts

DT770s

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Decided I was tired of hearing "BATTERY LOW" every time I got close to sleep, so I decided to try the cheapest Sony iems I could find.

And the ex15 is a drat good set for 10$. It's pretty well balanced, though leans heavily towards warm. The noise floor is low enough I can't really hear it, and there isn't a glaring degrade in quality swapping between it and my mdr 10rbts.

Don't get me wrong, they are definitely worse, but for comfy wired sleepy time headphones I can't imagine doing better for ten bucks. And I'm not wearing 200$ over ear headphones to go to sleep.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Hmm, going to look into these a bit, the straight cable is giving me a little pause since I like coiled cables, but might try living with it.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I just got myself an EarStudio ES-100 Bluetooth receiver, and could do with advice on some higher end wired IEMs to use with it.

Requirements:
* Cords that go straight up to my ears, not the over ear loop style (like Shures).
* Removable cords (MMCC connectors ideally) - I will probably get a short replacement balanced cord with a 2.5mm connector to take advantage of the ES-100 clipped to my shirt.
* Decent but refined bass response and an otherwise pleasant, fun sound.
* Comfortable to wear (I use spinfit tips at the moment).
* Good isolation & at least low sound leakage.
* Available in the UK.

Budget:
Around £200 plus or minus.

Options I’ve been considering:
Sony XBA-N3

Sources: iPhone & Laptop via the ES-100 (Bluetooth or wired). Oh, plus occasionally Amazon fire Tv via Bluetooth if I have houseguests.

Usage: Shortish bus & rail commutes, walking around town & countryside, plus in the office.

Current Setup:
I’ve been using RHA MH-650 Bluetooth IEMs for a while - they’re really *fine*, and have been amazing in terms of convenience, functionality & battery life - but I’m looking to upgrade to something higher quality sound wise.

I also have Sennheiser HD-25 for occasional wired home use, and some Plantronics Backbeat fit for running.

Music: Metal, Rock, Hiphop, Jazz, Rock. Mainly metal if I’m honest, but I’m a sucker for anything with a good baseline.

Plus podcasts a bunch of the time.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

borkencode posted:

Hmm, going to look into these a bit, the straight cable is giving me a little pause since I like coiled cables, but might try living with it.
mine came with a coiled cable, it's just straight for a little bit then coils

Varg fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 29, 2018

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

borkencode posted:

The "pro" model comes with a coiled cable, avoid the "premium" version if you want that.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

BurritoJustice posted:

The "pro" model comes with a coiled cable, avoid the "premium" version if you want that.

Varg posted:

mine came with a coiled cable, it's just straight for a little bit then coils

So of course none of the product images on amazon show the cable, but I knew I had seen a straight cable somewhere. It was this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbI1T8W9-Hc Showing a "pro" model and a "studio" model (seem identical). Both had straight cables.

I start to think maybe it was a change they made at some point.

But then I look at the product page on the website https://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/dt-770-pro.html And there's a coiled cable!

Turns out :ms: the different impedances all have different cords. Found on the spec sheet https://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/amfile/file/download/file_id/3878/product_id/2912/

spec sheet posted:

32 Ω version . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.6 m / straight cable
80 Ω version . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3 m / straight cable
250 Ω version . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3 m / coiled cable

From what I understand I'd probably want an amp to drive the 250ohm set, which seems like more effort than I'd want to deal with.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

borkencode posted:

So of course none of the product images on amazon show the cable, but I knew I had seen a straight cable somewhere. It was this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbI1T8W9-Hc Showing a "pro" model and a "studio" model (seem identical). Both had straight cables.

But then I look at the product page on the website https://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/dt-770-pro.html And there's a coiled cable!

Turns out :ms: the different impedances all have different cords. Found on the spec sheet https://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/amfile/file/download/file_id/3878/product_id/2912/

From what I understand I'd probably want an amp to drive the 250ohm set, which seems like more effort than I'd want to deal with.

Hey I actually remember this bullshit, they basically assume you get more "studio" as the impedance goes up. Short cable for phone use, longer cable for desktop use, coiled cable for studio use.

Unless you plan on getting tinitus (you really don't, I have it, listen at sensible levels), the 250ohm should work fine for you.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I've been looking at soundguys a lot for reviews lately, and now I'm seeing my favorite TV review site rtings is doing audio reviews. Can anyone speak to the quality of either page?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Sextro posted:

I've been looking at soundguys a lot for reviews lately, and now I'm seeing my favorite TV review site rtings is doing audio reviews. Can anyone speak to the quality of either page?

rtings is trying. I think they’re reaching a little bit trying to get objective measurements for things that are subjective.

I really like the idea of measuring lots of headphones against the same baseline and methodology, I just discount some of their conclusions.

Saying “these headphones have great spatial imaging, so we’re going to judge sound stage in all other headphones based on how their frequency responses match the same curve” doesn’t necessarily work.

It’s easier with TVs. Color, contrast, latency, etc are all measurable and have a definitive “better.” There’s a lot more personal taste involved with audio.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Sextro posted:

rtings.com is about as solid as you're going to find. looking forward to their Audeze mobius and lcd-2 classic reviews going up. I

innerfidelity.com is great, just make sure to look for articles by Tyll or Bob Katz. the new guy running it hasn't really shown his worth or put up any measurements yet.

finally, DIY-Audio Heaven has a nice roundup and measurements of many many hifi headphones and goes into a lot of nitty gritty on measurements and things of that nature worth checking out https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

borkencode posted:

Audio Technica M40x/50x would work too and have a coiled cable. I have DT770s and a pair of M50s (older version) and I prefer the DT770s between the two of them.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Well i got some Fidelio X2s at a good price so i'll give these a try. did a fair bit of research and sounds like what im after.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Kullik posted:

Well i got some Fidelio X2s at a good price so i'll give these a try. did a fair bit of research and sounds like what im after.

I have a pair, they are great! My biggest annoyance is that the screws between the headband and one of the ear cups are loose, and there seems to be no way to get to them. I've disassembled the whole thing, but the last step necessary seems to be glued shut.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Kullik posted:

I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I've got a pair and they're not my favorite, but somehow they've become my most used.
I prefer my HD6XX and HE4xx to them, but the X2 is just easier to DJ with plus they have a stupid long cord so I can sit on the couch and use them to watch TV at night when the wife is asleep. I mean, my ATH-M70x has a long rear end cable too, but the X2 are open backed so I can still hear the baby monitor.
Also the bass is definitely more emphasized on the X2 than any of the aforementioned headphones so it's more appropriate for both DJing and TVing.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I apparently drunk ordered Sennheiser momentum on-ear wireless noise-cancelling headphones. Drunk me found an open box deal for about 25% off and I have to say sober me is happy with this purchase. I was actually looking for over-ear, but these are comfortable enough and sound good enough that I can't bring myself to return them.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I apparently drunk ordered Sennheiser momentum on-ear wireless noise-cancelling headphones. Drunk me found an open box deal for about 25% off and I have to say sober me is happy with this purchase. I was actually looking for over-ear, but these are comfortable enough and sound good enough that I can't bring myself to return them.

Don't feel too bad. I once drunk ordered some Kennerton Valis off Massdrop.

They sound pretty good. Really good. Just wish they didn't have a wasteland industrial fit.

If they were more comfortable they'd be my #1.

To be clear I'm not saying they're uncomfortable, rather you need to adjust the fit using industrial steel knobs and such to make it perfect if you hair grows or gets cut. I'm not joking. Nothing about them is self adjusting. They also handle music with high distortion like loving champs. You'll never get any sibilant treble.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Oct 3, 2018

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Whomst among us hasn't drunk-ordered headphones? I ordered MDR-1A ($110 brand new) recently for god knows what reason. The next day I tried to cancel, but lol eBay. I actually kinda love them and use them all the time now though.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I almost decided to get some KZ ZS10s and then realized I bought some of them for my kido 8 months ago. So I borrowed them back with some Comply tips and compared to my gold standard IEMs the Velodyne Vpulses. Not great unfortunately. The mids sound like they are in a can, bass is a bit bloated and treble isn't special. Kind of disappointing that a 4 BA with 1 dynamic driver IEM can't even match one good dynamic driver in the vpulse.

One of these days I'll find an IEM that can beat the vpulse. So far, though, about 10 of them have been pretty fail.

here is the next one on my list:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HLZW5NM/?coliid=I32ZM0PHF5GQ7Z&colid=1KNJGXYMCO3HF&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Sources say it is unreal good. Flat to 10Khz and then dips pretty hard.

oh and these:

https://www.amazon.com/BGVP-DMG-Fid...GQN0Y45RWNWZSYD

anyone have a pair of either of those? any comments?

redeyes fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 3, 2018

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

redeyes posted:

I almost decided to get some KZ ZS10s and then realized I bought some of them for my kido 8 months ago. So I borrowed them back with some Comply tips and compared to my gold standard IEMs the Velodyne Vpulses. Not great unfortunately. The mids sound like they are in a can, bass is a bit bloated and treble isn't special. Kind of disappointing that a 4 BA with 1 dynamic driver IEM can't even match one good dynamic driver in the vpulse.

One of these days I'll find an IEM that can beat the vpulse. So far, though, about 10 of them have been pretty fail.

here is the next one on my list:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HLZW5NM/?coliid=I32ZM0PHF5GQ7Z&colid=1KNJGXYMCO3HF&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Sources say it is unreal good. Flat to 10Khz and then dips pretty hard.

I've got a couple of cheap KZ hybrids, and they're perfectly fine for "beaters" that I don't have to worry about breaking or losing, especially since they are pretty comfortable and have replaceable cables. They're both absurdly v-shaped though.

Allegedly the AS10 is much better than all their other models, but I haven't been compelled to spend more than $50 on any of their stuff, based on the sound and build quality of their under $20 IEMs.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

If I wanted a pair of IEMs that allow me to go wireless or wired, am I going to do any better than Comply tips, a pair of KZs, and its associated bluetooth cable for a similar price in a single package?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Thirst Mutilator posted:

If I wanted a pair of IEMs that allow me to go wireless or wired, am I going to do any better than Comply tips, a pair of KZs, and its associated bluetooth cable for a similar price in a single package?

I'd go that route, if only because it keeps things modular/replaceable, and you can reuse either the adapter or the IEMs if only one or the other suits you, one of them breaks, etc. I haven't heard any cheap Bluetooth adapter or all-in-one headphones that sounds good enough to want to stick with it though.

A lot of people say the KZ Bluetooth adapter isn't that great and that the Trn equivalent is better, but I got the Trn and wasn't too impressed with the sound quality. It does stay paired with my phone a lot better than older Bluetooth headphones/adapters I've had though, it never drops or skips in the parts of town where I've had issues before.

Also if you do decide to buy KZs, I can recommend using Gearbest if you want to save a few bucks and don't mind waiting a little bit for shipping. They have absurdly low prices, and shipping to the US only takes like 10 days.