Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Fruity20 posted:

i'm getting around to doing a comic after the ones i did died in a matter of weeks. how did you guys manage to remain passionate in making webcomics? everytime i tried to get a project done, all sense passion is sucked away and replaced with a feeling that this is one of those boring office jobs.

Stuff that worked for me:

1. Don't make your comic too long.

2. Make sure there is something fun to draw on every page.

3. Don't dither too much, just do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I work in short stories, so I can do something new regularly for pretty much the reason you describe.

I find having more than one project on the go helps, I can switch between them when I get bored. It's still a slog at times, though. :smith:

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I prefer working on my comic a chapter at a time, for me it helps keep the pacing consistent and I can break for a bit in between to refresh myself and see what I want to try differently next chapter. Course that means having at least some kind of buffer so the site isn't going months without an update.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

never make a webcomic

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Like the human soul, art can take one million forms. not seven billion forms though, sorry folks.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

the best lesson i learnt when drawing a comic is to make sure you enjoy drawing all the characters, not just one of them, because unless you really commit to it there will come a time when your fun-to-draw character is no longer on the page and then what will you do??

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

a) clones!
b) all the other characters start cosplaying as favourite character constantly
c) silence of the lambs style skinsuit of favourite character.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

avshalemon posted:

the best lesson i learnt when drawing a comic is to make sure you enjoy drawing all the characters, not just one of them, because unless you really commit to it there will come a time when your fun-to-draw character is no longer on the page and then what will you do??

related to this, I have a large cast so if I don't feel like writing about one of them I can work on somebody else's storyline for a while. it keeps the story from getting stale to me.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

lofi posted:

a) clones!
b) all the other characters start cosplaying as favourite character constantly
c) silence of the lambs style skinsuit of favourite character.
all excellent suggestions

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I make the background characters all ambiguous, some of them are occuring or semi reoccurring cause if they seem interesting i try to expand on them, but if they are not i always have shorthand for dumb generic dog nose man. Or giraffe. Or ostrich! Most ostriches are pretty dopey. I think this is the real reason people drew animals in comics in the day, and not because they like yiff stammering in groups of 5 in remote international event spaces. They rode a shuttle from the airport dressed in emerald fursuits. One of the fursuiters, their caliph, expressed that one of them had betrayed him in an act of espionage. An assasin had been captured and one of the furries was given up as the mastermind. He ordered the culprit to reveal himself, or all four furries would be executed. Expressionless, the furries all grabbed their heads in sorrow and danced around sadly, in typical fursuit pantomime, to express their distress at the situation. None of them had committed such a crime! How could the culprit reveal themself? Sadly, and with over expressively bowed heads and crying hands, they approached the caliph, and the furry who was allowed to speak because he had burchased a $700 moving mouth adjoinment from http://furryweb.com said to the caliph, "sire, none of us knows who the culprit is, but as your loyal subjects we accept the punishment of execution."

If the caliph had had human eyes, they would have lit up and sparkled, and you could have seen his tremendous smile, but since none of these things were apparent he twisted and twirled the moustache of his merry wizard furry beard and announced that there was no assasin, and that it had all been a test of their loyalty and bravery. The furries pranced and arounded and one of them got a high five from an eight year old, and the caliph gave them each a bag of glittering sapphire coins to spend on merch at the con, not least among them being fake sapphires and also lime green dyes to adorn and decorate their ragged, yet impeccibly dressed in many layers of vests and oversized silk clothings and turbans, big ole turbans. They proceeded singing into the con to see whichever mac elroy brother was cheapest at a panel about questionable advice, but were unable to due to being tackled by paul blart mall cop, freelance assasin. It was the vizer.

FunkyAl fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 30, 2018

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

FunkyAl posted:

I make the background characters all ambiguous, some of them are occuring or semi reoccurring cause if they seem interesting i try to expand on them, but if they are not i always have shorthand for dumb generic dog nose man. Or giraffe. Or ostrich! Most ostriches are pretty dopey. I think this is the real reason people drew animals in comics in the day, and not because they like yiff stammering in groups of 5 in remote international event spaces. They rode a shuttle from the airport dressed in emerald fursuits. One of the fursuiters, their caliph, expressed that one of them had betrayed him in an act of espionage. An assasin had been captured and one of the furries was given up as the mastermind. He ordered the culprit to reveal himself, or all four furries would be executed. Expressionless, the furries all grabbed their heads in sorrow and danced around sadly, in typical fursuit pantomime, to express their distress at the situation. None of them had committed such a crime! How could the culprit reveal themself? Sadly, and with over expressively bowed heads and crying hands, they approached the caliph, and the furry who was allowed to speak because he had burchased a $700 moving mouth adjoinment from http://furryweb.com said to the caliph, "sire, none of us knows who the culprit is, but as your loyal subjects we accept the punishment of execution."

If the caliph had had human eyes, they would have lit up and sparkled, and you could have seen his tremendous smile, but since none of these things were apparent he twisted and twirled the moustache of his merry wizard furry beard and announced that there was no assasin, and that it had all been a test of their loyalty and bravery. The furries pranced and arounded and one of them got a high five from an eight year old, and the caliph gave them each a bag of glittering sapphire coins to spend on merch at the con, not least among them being fake sapphires and also lime green dyes to adorn and decorate their ragged, yet impeccibly dressed in many layers of vests and oversized silk clothings and turbans, big ole turbans. They proceeded singing into the con to see whichever mac elroy brother was cheapest at a panel about questionable advice, but were unable to due to being tackled by paul blart mall cop, freelance assasin. It was the vizer.
page after page of lolloping rambunctious breasts

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

This month's 'comic' was mostly me playing with a different format and enjoying the last of the summer sun. :ssh:

I still think it's magic to turn ink and paper into things.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

avshalemon posted:

page after page of lolloping rambunctious breasts

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I started updating my comic again and gave the site a less butt ugly look at that.

HanzoSchmanzo
Apr 11, 2011

TheHan posted:

I started updating my comic again and gave the site a less butt ugly look at that.

Nice! Really liking your creature designs. Followed, and followed.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I have been hard at work writing the scripts to a series of graphic novels I've had planned for ages (And also trying to overcome my own issues with avoidance!), I've gotten to the point that I'm no longer happy with the working title I have going an want to come up with a better one. I have it narrowed down to a few options and need people's help picking which one to use: Vote for your favorite title option here!

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
With no idea toward the content, I'm guessing you have an epic in mind, with Thera being the main world hub? So the main working title should be "The Humans of Thera," and the first entry's subtitle being "Beyond the Gate." Which seems a bit fast paced if you want to do some solid world building. I don't know, I'm terrible when it comes to titles... Maybe try something along the lines of "The Extended History of Thera: Off World?"

I'm trying to do another comic short and am wondering if any gay men have any horror stories involving online dating?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1171352004/garden-a-graphic-novel MY KICKSTARTER IS LIVE!!

Please go check it out.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Does anyone have any good suggestions for promoting a comics kickstarter in this, the post-Project Wonderful dystopian wasteland?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Fangz posted:

Does anyone have any good suggestions for promoting a comics kickstarter in this, the post-Project Wonderful dystopian wasteland?

Unfortunately the best advice is "already have an audience for your work"

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Reiley posted:

Unfortunately the best advice is "already have an audience for your work"

Yeah, I know :gbsmith:

Curious as to whether anyone has tried buying google ads or whatever, though. Could that be worthwhile?

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Fangz posted:

Yeah, I know :gbsmith:

Curious as to whether anyone has tried buying google ads or whatever, though. Could that be worthwhile?

Promote it a little in comics shops or adjacent spaces of interest! A cafe i frequent had a couple of guys doing a live comics reading the other day, it wasnt a huge draw but im sure it could float a couple buckos down the river

E: also had the thought, try taking out an ad in a local comic publication. Doesnt even have to be local to you! Just small so theyre more likely to run an ad quik

FunkyAl fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 22, 2018

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I just hit my kickstarter goal after four days :P

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Congratulations! It looks really interesting, if I had the cash you'd have totally had my :20bux:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

So i showed these in the webcomic thread and it really got me thinking i should continue it.
It was a story about Orks from Warhammer 40k

https://mukdamek.tumblr.com/

also would there be anyway so that this is easier to read from the beginning?

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
I don't do tumbler so I can't even read it at all, try hosting on a free web comic website (does drunk duck exist?) if you can't write/afford your own website. War hammer is popular so your subject promotes itself. Good luck sir, so long as you are dedicated to this endeavor there's no reason you can't have some sort of success.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Johny-on-the-Spot posted:

I don't do tumbler so I can't even read it at all, try hosting on a free web comic website (does drunk duck exist?) if you can't write/afford your own website. War hammer is popular so your subject promotes itself. Good luck sir, so long as you are dedicated to this endeavor there's no reason you can't have some sort of success.

Yeah that seems nice i put it up here

http://mukdamek.thecomicseries.com/comics/first/

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
I'm into it. Can you make up something up like a shopping list for the holiday season? A catalogue would totally be appropriate for subject.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Inktober ate this month's comic! :drac:

Like, doing inktober was really cool, but I'll be glad to get back to doing something with a plot next month.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
Happy Halloween Comic Thread!

I'm planning on refining it over this weekend, but I wanted to make sure to post it today, so any feedback would be appreciated!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I can see your reasononing for it, but I think there's too much text on the first two pages - it needs something to really hook the reader sooner I reckon - I'd try to edit it so the dude-beat-up pic is on p1. Could also do with some setup of how the goon got behind him when he opens the door.

Otherwise, it's good. More effort than the meme deserves. Nice body language throughout.

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
help

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
help i'm a webcomic

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
and i can't stop laying eggs

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

lofi posted:

Inktober ate this month's comic! :drac:

Like, doing inktober was really cool, but I'll be glad to get back to doing something with a plot next month.

These are some great prompt interpretations, and inks! The orange on that...orange, is so vibrant.

HanzoSchmanzo posted:

Nice! Really liking your creature designs. Followed, and followed.

I should really check this thread more often, thanks! Kinda disappointed I petered out on Inktober again, but hoping to double back and finish out the rest when I'm more motivated.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Hiya, my ~kickstarter~ is just under a week away from finishing, if you wanna get my book....

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1171352004/garden-a-graphic-novel

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Fangz posted:

Hiya, my ~kickstarter~ is just under a week away from finishing, if you wanna get my book....

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1171352004/garden-a-graphic-novel
I backed it on day 1! It looks good.

I also have a Kickstarter running, although I'm just publishing it and not actually in the anthology: Shout Out. It's got some great folks contributing to it!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

New comic time!

I've decided I'm making this the last monthly comic - the plan was to make a bunch of comics fast so I could get all the noob bullshit mistakes done without being chained to them for months. And the project's done that, but I think I'm done with it - I want to do something bigger in scope than I can do in a month.

Now I just gotta figure out what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
Looking good lofi! I really like the atmosphere you established in the first page.