Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Real hurthling! posted:

The reason is people figure out how to stay in training as long as possible and they want to test network stability

Yeah I figured that was why. It would take 30 minutes for someone to find a way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
T7 is a real solid game but its severe lack of singlepayer content and absurd load times stop me from saying it's the best Tekken game. Even after patching it's still like a 50 second load time on xbox, DOA5 in comparison is like 5 seconds tops.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

This game feels amazing but i have no clue wtf is happening

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I plugged in a cat 5 and my matches are way less laggy than before, so that's a good sign. Having a lot of fun making people taste the sword of despair, although I just ran into an Ivy who whipped me good. Can't wait to get into the lab and start learning.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Oh goddd I just auto-gi'd Groh's critical edge with Nightmare's qcfA and then killed him with the terror charge follow up and it was so goooooodddd

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Please, to everyone who is reading this: never play fighting games over WiFi. Only play on a hard line, you are doing yourself and the community a disservice when you play on WiFi.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Wi-Fi warriors must be driven from the online landscape.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

BattleTech posted:

T7 is a real solid game but its severe lack of singlepayer content and absurd load times stop me from saying it's the best Tekken game. Even after patching it's still like a 50 second load time on xbox, DOA5 in comparison is like 5 seconds tops.

Well it's official then DOA5 is better than t7

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

mango sentinel posted:

Please, to everyone who is reading this: never play fighting games over WiFi. Only play on a hard line, you are doing yourself and the community a disservice when you play on WiFi.

Yeah hard agree. Only committed that sin because I didn't have time to go get a second cable this morning. The change was night and day for me.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I try to stick to only using a cable for fighting game online, but due to the way my home is set up it can be pretty difficult. It's basically the #1 thing stopping me from playing fighting games these days.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Zinkraptor posted:

I try to stick to only using a cable for fighting game online, but due to the way my home is set up it can be pretty difficult. It's basically the #1 thing stopping me from playing fighting games these days.

I was in a similar situation a while back, look into getting a powerline adapter. They're not as solid as wired but they're a hell of a lot better than wi-fi. I used this one for a few years and it always worked pretty well.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Just get an ethernet cable. Even a really long one isn't expensive

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

only got a little bit of time in with SC6 but it looks incredible and feels like Soul Calibur alright. But echoing I had no idea what the gently caress some of the new mechanics were (I haven't played one seriously since SC3) but was pleased when I accidentally busted out a super to finish a match

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

In Training posted:

Just get an ethernet cable. Even a really long one isn't expensive

Unless you never plugged your PS4's ethernet in until well after the warranty lapsed when you discovered it has the janky port that disconnects constantly that I guess is a thing so instead you run wifi from a foot away from the router..which then goes through a powerline adapter to the router that's hooked to your modem :suicide:

The newer ethernet over power protocols work great though I play Tekken on a Steam Link also going through the power line and it's 95% the same as playing back on the desktop+monitor wired to the router, neat stuff.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

In Training posted:

Well it's official then DOA5 is better than t7

its pretty dang good

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/LogothX/status/1045882444677894146

This might be the first fighting game I follow up with since before the internet was a thing.

Doing cool stuff by accident makes me want to learn how it works / how I did it.

I just really wish modern developers dropped cinematic supers.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

SC6 very fun

I only remember astaroth and astaroth is not in the beta :( Slowly remembering Ivy stuff to make do.

Netcode actually very good! Out of like, 100~ or so matches, only had 4 I would say were bad, even despite showing "bad" connections.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
excited to get this for PC so i dont encounter as many wifi warriors

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm not sure their connection filter is that great, since going to 3+ to try to get a match gave me a couple 1 bars.

And yeah, glad I'm getting it on PC.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Got to F1 (roughly ~5700 RP) with Nightmare which is probably where I'll stop with him for the beta. Extremely fun, although I'm pretty scrubby and riding everyone's lack of knowledge to the top. The actual good players can manhandle me if they don't get overwhelmed by all my armor and RE shenanigans.

Saw a lot of Nightmare up through the mid 2000s then he pretty much tapered off, only had one mirror match after that. An ASSLOAD of Maxi and Yoshi in these ranks though, probably 75% of what I fought. Pretty even smattering of everything else (Groh was the rarest), which speaks well for character diversity I think.

Can't wait for the full thing, really want to get into training mode and get learning. Especially wanna get my hands on Astaroth, he was always my favorite alongside Nightmare.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/Nosuke0213/status/1045922448523186177
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys_amSCW27k

Man, EXVS2 looks so drat good, it kinda makes GVS pale in comparison. And I like GVS. I hope we get a port and they don't just leave it arcade only for forever.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

BattleTech posted:

Load times.

On an Xbox.

Lmao.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Evil Canadian posted:

SC6 very fun

I only remember astaroth and astaroth is not in the beta :( Slowly remembering Ivy stuff to make do.

Netcode actually very good! Out of like, 100~ or so matches, only had 4 I would say were bad, even despite showing "bad" connections.

I've had pretty good connections in my matches too, maybe only 1-2 out of a whole bunch where it became noticeably grindy. Already way better than attempting to play Injustice 2 on PS4's lovely onboard wifi.

It's fun remembering how to play Ivy because she has like 100 moves to every other character's... six and I think they switched her inputs around a lot in SC4/5, which I did not play. So I'm working off SC1/2 muscle memory only.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

https://twitter.com/Nosuke0213/status/1045922448523186177
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys_amSCW27k

Man, EXVS2 looks so drat good, it kinda makes GVS pale in comparison. And I like GVS. I hope we get a port and they don't just leave it arcade only for forever.

EXVS2 does look really good. Hopefully they remove that awful striker system GVS has right now.

And of course, a console release

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Thwack! posted:

EXVS2 does look really good. Hopefully they remove that awful striker system GVS has right now.

And of course, a console release

And PC, though New Gundam Breaker is the only one they've put on PC and it was way delayed and the game itself is apparently also rear end and probably didn't sell well for those reasons, so I'm not too hopeful.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Every single match I've had has felt like poo poo of some kind but I'm glad I'm getting to check it out, this is the first SC I've played and I'm trying to get a handle on the movement

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Mobility Burst is honestly the big thing I want more than anything else. I like playing big heavy suits so having that extra speed is right up my alley. And of course my lightweight suits are all super fast high mobility suits as is so the ability to be even faster and more annoying with Exia or the Pixie is a nice plus.

Forcing me to pick between Penelope and Nightingale though, now that's a devilish decision. At least with one being limited to Full Boost and the other to GVS, I wasn't forced to choose.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think i hate the wager system bullshit in this.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

it definitely seems annoying to have match flow broken up to play a slightly different rock paper scissors when the actual gameplay of soul calibur is already rock paper scissors

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

It's good so of course you hate it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zand posted:

it definitely seems annoying to have match flow broken up to play a slightly different rock paper scissors when the actual gameplay of soul calibur is already rock paper scissors

Right. It just interrupts everything so we can play extremely slow soul calibur for a few seconds.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Blowing peoples clothes off is loving awesome though. But the super animations are too long. It's weird that they took this really high damage fast paced game and filled it with unskippable 8 second cutscenes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Anyway how do you stand up in this game? I finally played against someone who knew what they were doing and they blasted my rear end with a bunch of CH stuff as I was trying to get up.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In Training posted:

Right. It just interrupts everything so we can play extremely slow soul calibur for a few seconds.

It also kinda sucked because I was triggering it accidentally in the few matches I played. That's more down to not knowing the controls, but I feel like it should be something that is much more intentional to do.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

In Training posted:

I think i hate the wager system bullshit in this.

Do you know how it works? Because I think it's pretty natural to hate stuff you don't understand. I really like the reversal edge system but I was geeking out on the game before the test so I read up on it.

In case you don't (or for anyone who doesn't), the basics are:
Before the reversal clash
  • Holding Reversal Edge auto parries all regular attacks and throws as long as the button is held. Guard breaks (blue lightning) and unblockables (fire) beat it.
  • The attack itself is a linear vertical that is easily stepped and also has no invincibility (so strings can counter hit it if the defending player releases the button early).
  • If it's held to the full duration, it becomes unblockable. However it only does damage if it hits an open opponent, the unblockable version will pierce the opponents guard and trigger the clash, but do no damage.
  • Just using RE depletes your guard, however if it successfully counters an attack it refunds the guard.
During the reversal clash
  • The basic mechanic is a Rock/Paper/Scissors with A(horizontals) beating K(kicks) beating B(verticals) beating A. You need to enter your command IMMEDIATELY or you will default to guard.
  • There are also a bunch more things you can do, such as step (forward, backwards, side), guard, and guard impact. Effects detailed in the thread I linked below. Basics are that steps beat a respective attack option and gives you a punish, guard goes even with offensive options/evasion (with one exception) and beats GI, and GI beats all offensive options.
  • If you do the same offensive option as the opponent, you clash. This leads to a second choice which is unique in that the initiator (person who used RE) will now win a clash with B AND if they choose B and the opponent guards, they guard break them.
  • Lots of characters have unique properties on some moves, for instance K for Nightmare will do an attack throw that leaves Nightmare in Terror Charge state.
I really like it because it leads to a pure mindgame situation that is really fun. For instance, as the initiator you are incentivized to use B on the second clash since it beats a guard or the opponent's B. So a savvy opponent will use K or sidestep. So you can anticipate that and do an A instead to catch them. So they might GI instead to stuff all your offensive options, in which case if you are ahead of them on the mindgame you would just guard. Then there's all the character specific stuff, like with Nightmare I ideally want to land K because it gives me Terror Charge, so that adds another layer to things.

It's fun punishing people for trying to abuse it as well. I played an Ivy last night that would just RE whenever you got inside her zoning. So I started tagging her with guard breaks and forced her to play honest, which she sucked at. It was great!

Here's a big thread on how it works if you want to look more into it: https://8wayrun.com/threads/reversal-edge-mechanic-master-post-by-trace_afj.19744/

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

In Training posted:

Anyway how do you stand up in this game? I finally played against someone who knew what they were doing and they blasted my rear end with a bunch of CH stuff as I was trying to get up.

You can just stand up blocking, sideroll, or forward/backward roll. I think there's a quickrise too but I don't know what governs all that. Some characters (Xianghua, Voldo, etc) have unique wakeup options as well that I have no idea about.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

AttackBacon posted:

I really like it because it leads to a pure mindgame situation that is really fun.

personally I think the game could stand on it's own without this system. I don't see why this "pure mindgame" is necessary in a game that is already designed as a rock paper scissors system weighted by character asymmetry.

from everything I've read, the people who like reversal edge all seem to really like it and the reasons they give for liking it are always the reasons that I think it's rear end. hopefully I can enjoy this game in spite of reversal edge

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I know how it works it's just long and nothing happens during most of it.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Yeah that's all fair, it's just taste at that point. The stuff I most enjoy about fighting games is getting in my opponent's head so stuff like RE is super appealing to me but it absolutely slows the game down. I feel like SC is a pretty fast game though so that part doesn't bother me at all, but that's just opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Games with RPS minigames in them suck.