Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Reversal edge will probably shake out to not be a big deal competitively in the long run. It seems to be kind of a bandaid mechanic to help newer players manage their defense and understand the dynamics between A, B and K moves. I wish there was a little less slowdown during the clash, especially since the window for inputting your choice during RE is pretty tight. I also wish critical edge cutscenes were universally about half as long.

Game is sick though. Really excited for the full version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i kinda agree that reversal edge seems really unnecessary but at the same time i'm still not over the novelty of how cool some of the moves you get out of it look

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Sade posted:

Reversal edge will probably shake out to not be a big deal competitively in the long run. It seems to be kind of a bandaid mechanic to help newer players manage their defense and understand the dynamics between A, B and K moves.

its this. soul calibur is historically a fighting game with a shitload of people who are in that nebulous zone of not being super casual party game players but also maybe not quite getting how to properly improve beyond "do what works against my friends". the fact that reversal edge is just how the game already works anyway is the point, it slaps them in the face with the mechanics of the game in a way that helps some people maybe get that they dont need the game to start a countdown before they can sidestep B attacks

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

I wish I understood more of what was happening beyond the few moves I figured out during playing and hitting buttons hoping the thing I did works in Soul Calibur 6.

A simple splash screen showing the basic mechanics during the loading screen would have been nice.

Night Blade fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 29, 2018

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
it's good when a fighting game has features that make it more accessible, especially when they are features existing outside of the actual matches. when accessibility features designed to assist and teach new players are built into a game's mechanics that's a different thing all together though. is it really worth adding a mechanic that detracts from the game on the whole worth attracting new players or maintaining bad players for a month before they fall off?

I feel like players that can't learn the simple rps with a/b/k unless it's shoved down their throat in a slomo cinematic just aren't worth catering to.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
No game should get worse the better you are at it.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

No game should get worse the better you are at it.

a lot of beloved fgs are like this

3s and garou come to mind

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

General Morden posted:

and soul series has mystics just the same as those games for similar reasons

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
whats wrong with garou? ive neve rplayed it

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

yo mamma a Horus posted:

it becomes absolutely miserable, this I wish I could articulate, but I can mention Kevin loops

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

At lower levels the characters are relatively balanced and fun. High level is Kevin loops and feint cancelling everything forever.

I was a Freeman main :sigh:

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

yo mamma a Horus posted:

two things that come to mind: just defend (basically parrying but if you mess up the timing you just block anyway & it heals you) into a super with 1 or even 0 frame startup to punish everything combined with blockstrings that are blazblue tier due to feint canceling which makes the game really frustrating both for the attacking player and the defending one

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

i have no idea who to pick in unist lmao

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I dunno, I feel like some assumptions are being made that aren't necessarily true. Ie: that Reversal Edge is purely a mechanic aimed at unskilled players. I think it has applications for skilled play as well, just in different ways (generally what happens before the RE, instead of during the animation). I feel like it just pushes the game in a more "hard read" direction which I could understand being frustrating for some people who want more purity in terms of mechanical skill being the dominant factor. Isn't SC just not that game though? It's always been pretty mechanically simple. I don't know that there's some platonic ideal of fighting games, it kind of feels like a different strokes for different folks situation.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

also garou has just defend that's easy and heals you, and there's free alpha counters you can do off the stun from just defend. garou is an absolute chore to play

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
3S is weird in that it takes a scrub-tier revelation to crack it’s highest level of infinite bullshit tho.

“Parries are cool. Sometimes I’ll just tap forward and see if I get them.”

“Huh, I see. I’ll use parries to catch people when they do big stuff I can see and catch.”

“Hmm, my opponent isn’t doing big flashy poo poo raw anymore, but these block strings they’re doing look the same. Maybe...”

“You know, I can’t seem to catch a real read anymore, but I never seem to get punished for going for parries...”

“I’m overthinking it. Imma just randomly tap forward or down sometimes in neutral and in the off chance my opponent throws something into it, I’ll blow them up for 40%.”

And then parries became the enemy.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Poniard posted:

i have no idea who to pick in unist lmao

Pick Whip Girl.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

General Morden posted:

i mean 3S is the game i learned to actually understand fgs in, but there's a reason i don't play it any more

not that i ever really got good at it but i got good enough to see what good looked like

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

AttackBacon posted:

... I feel like it just pushes the game in a more "hard read" direction which I could understand being frustrating for some people who want more purity in terms of mechanical skill being the dominant factor. Isn't SC just not that game though? It's always been pretty mechanically simple. I don't know that there's some platonic ideal of fighting games, it kind of feels like a different strokes for different folks situation.

hard read situations cause by RE break up the flow of the game. reads are already being made in any given match. reversal edge is basically the core attack rps in the game with the nuance of movement and spacing removed... its just reductive. you're right though, it is a different strokes thing. some people really like things like wager in injustice or the rps dragon rush thing from the old dbz games or RE from SC6. i don't though

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
If only they had the balls to patch mechanics out of a game. I think Reversal Edge reception has been negative overall by everyone including casuals, but what sucks is that they seem to rely on it a lot without knowing how to escape or deal with it, making the game look bad. My only hope is that as people get better and learn stuff it just doesn't happen as often. Can't try the game cause no console, but otherwise gameplay seems great.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The worst part about reversal edge is that B+G is no longer throw

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Zand posted:

hard read situations cause by RE break up the flow of the game. reads are already being made in any given match.reversal edge is basically the core attack rps in the game with the nuance of movement and spacing removed... its just reductive..

(We generally agree it's all subjective I'm just clarifying one part)

Do you mean the cutscene or the very fact of RE itself? I agree that once you are in the cutscene it's a distillation down to pure mindgames, but before that I think it fits very well into the existing system. It's a vertical that is easily stepped and it gets beat by guard breaks just like a GI.

I think the counter is to that is "well GI and verticals already exist" which is fair, but then we get back into subjective territory (ie: do the unique aspects and visual "cool factor" of RE merit the addition, does it slow down the game too much, etc).

Changing the topic slightly, I think complexity for the sake of spectacle has some intrinsic merit, especially in something that has become such a spectator activity. For instance, I was watching Aris' stream yesterday and he RE'd Ivy's super and everyone was like OOOHHH drat even though it was just holding a button, it was visually super cool. Same deal with doing forward evades under horizontals during the cutscene and stuff like that. I feel like part of where RE comes from is Namco going "dang people loving love the slowmo in Tekken, how can we expand on that" and that's why it's such a visual spectacle. I think feeling that that takes away from the purity of the game is probably fair but for me it's worth it, particularly since I enjoy the actual gameplay of it as well.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I never played Yatagarasu, but didn't they stick their parry on a button so it required more commitment than tapping forward? Presumably nobody plays it for a reason so maybe that didn't fix anything or it was just bad for other reasons.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Big Scary Owl posted:

If only they had the balls to patch mechanics out of a game. I think Reversal Edge reception has been negative overall by everyone including casuals, but what sucks is that they seem to rely on it a lot without knowing how to escape or deal with it, making the game look bad. My only hope is that as people get better and learn stuff it just doesn't happen as often. Can't try the game cause no console, but otherwise gameplay seems great.

Every person I played who was actually experienced, all had the good taste to never throw out a Reversal Edge, so it's not really something to get upset about. Scrubs would spam it on me and I would hit Kick and beat them every. Single. Time.

I played this one guy with like 3000 points, and his crowns at the bottom of the matchmaking screen showed he won 22 games in a row. He beat me 3-0 and teabagged me all three times, then I rematched him and got up on him 2-0 and was Voldo teabagging him back. I choked after that and lost but after the matches he messaged me on PSN to say good games. Not sure why the only person to teabag me would also be the only person to do that afterwards but maybe he was impressed I almost ended his streak. Or maybe he was trying to rub it in.

Anyway, hasn't some sperg done a full movelist for the network test yet? The reveal trailer for Voldo shows he can do the Superwyrm (aka landfish) move, but I absolutely could not get into that stance with all his traditional transitions into it.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Anyway, hasn't some sperg done a full movelist

Don't be like this

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Night Blade posted:

I wish I understood more of what was happening beyond the few moves I figured out during playing and hitting buttons hoping the thing I did works in Soul Calibur 6.

A simple splash screen showing the basic mechanics during the loading screen would have been nice.

Like this?

https://imgur.com/a/Ljq5aZJ

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i mean 3S is the game i learned to actually understand fgs in, but there's a reason i don't play it any more

not that i ever really got good at it but i got good enough to see what good looked like

aren't you the sg dude who views that game as like masterclass fg design

because i truly believe that fg is a chore to play once you actually get good at it

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

General Morden posted:

because i truly believe that fg is a chore to play once you actually get good at it

He's not, and even if he was, I'll also step up to bat for SG and defend it. Like yeah, if you don't like resets, you aren't going to like SG, because it's totally reset city, but the thing about getting good in SG is that you'll start to see the resets coming, and can react accordingly. Like, you can pull off some really dirty poo poo in that game, but generally you'll always have an option to get out of the mix.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

inthesto posted:

The worst part about reversal edge is that B+G is no longer throw

the new throws are so hard to get used to

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

General Morden posted:

I enjoy Skullgirls a lot, and I think it's one of the best modern fighting games, but the netcode, quality of life features, and community are a much bigger part of why I decided to concentrate on it than 100% endorsement of its gameplay.

In particular I'd much rather play Melty Blood if it weren't such a gigantic pain in the rear end to do so.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

General Morden posted:

How dare you mixup someone for Broken Loose.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

chumbler posted:

I never played Yatagarasu, but didn't they stick their parry on a button so it required more commitment than tapping forward? Presumably nobody plays it for a reason so maybe that didn't fix anything or it was just bad for other reasons.

Akatsuki Blitzkampf is also known for having a parry on its buttons

Akatsuki even has this parry as his Force Function in UNIST!!!!!!!!!!!!

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Groh is so disgustingly anime. I love it.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Thanks!

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

5 paragraph long explanation of undizzy mechanic

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
and notably both Blitzkampf and UNIST kick rear end so maybe there's something to this

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

AttackBacon posted:

Changing the topic slightly, I think complexity for the sake of spectacle has some intrinsic merit, especially in something that has become such a spectator activity. For instance, I was watching Aris' stream yesterday and he RE'd Ivy's super and everyone was like OOOHHH drat even though it was just holding a button, it was visually super cool.
the ooh drat lasts what, like 5 seconds? since I don't give a poo poo about spectators and care about mechanics I see no value in spectacle for the purpose of spectacle. if I play a game I'm going to be playing it for long after the original coolness of somethings animation is dead. spectators are worth catering to less than pretty much anyone else.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

NuclearPotato posted:

He's not, and even if he was, I'll also step up to bat for SG and defend it. Like yeah, if you don't like resets, you aren't going to like SG, because it's totally reset city, but the thing about getting good in SG is that you'll start to see the resets coming, and can react accordingly. Like, you can pull off some really dirty poo poo in that game, but generally you'll always have an option to get out of the mix.

the resets aren't even the problem, that part's actually fun

the problem is there's a lot of poo poo you can do in SG that is way too safe for how advantageous it is. there are characters (and teams) that are high risk / high reward but they're the exception rather than the norm

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

General Morden posted:

5 paragraph long explanation of undizzy mechanic

Hits after a certain point in a combo grant undizzy. If undizzy gets high enough, you can burst out of an opponent's combo. Sometimes people will make a combo that will trigger a burst intentionally, so that they can punish afterwards and reset the combo.

There, I've described everything important about undizzy in less than a paragraph. Just say you don't like the game or Mike Z or whatever, nobody cares.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the resets aren't even the problem, that part's actually fun

the problem is there's a lot of poo poo you can do in SG that is way too safe for how advantageous it is. there are characters (and teams) that are high risk / high reward but they're the exception rather than the norm

This is a fair point, yeah. It doesn't bug me too much, but that's just a personal thing on my part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Groh says "I must investigate your hairdo" when he reversal edge's Maxi, which clearly demonstrates that reversal edge is the most important mechanic in fighting game history.

Zand posted:

the ooh drat lasts what, like 5 seconds? since I don't give a poo poo about spectators and care about mechanics I see no value in spectacle for the purpose of spectacle. if I play a game I'm going to be playing it for long after the original coolness of somethings animation is dead. spectators are worth catering to less than pretty much anyone else.

Sure, I agree to an extent, when talking about people that are going to get invested in the game. But to get people in the door I think it has value, and personally if given two games of equal mechanical merit, I'll take the cooler looking one every time. Wouldn't anyone? Although obviously "cooler looking" is insanely subjective.

That was me kind of musing off in a different direction though, what did you think about the first bit of what I said (trying to figure if you meant RE in it's totality or just the cutscene portion)?