Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

This is extremely good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Solemn Sloth posted:

Songchat (excluding Melbourne’s because BIAS - I think we go somewhere around the top 5 personally)

1) Sydney
2) Richmond
3) GWS
4) Carlton
5) Bulldogs
6) Geelong
7) Collingwood
8) Brisbane
9) Essendon
10) Adelaide
11) Hawthorn
12) North Melbourne
13) St Kilda
14) Fremantle
15) Port Adelaide
16) West Coast
17) Gold Coast

I quite like Melbourne’s song, although after hearing it on the Coodabeens I can’t help thinking “ It’s a grand old flag, it’ll look good on the Jag” would be more appropriate

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Before the 1972 Summit Series, a journalist predicted that the USSR wouldn't beat Canada in a single game. To make it stronger he declared that if he was wrong he would eat his prediction, shredded in a bowl of borscht (he did, in fact, eat his words).

Robert Walls should have to eat his prediction shredded in a Perth delicacy. Molten Iron feels about right.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 29, 2018

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Melbourne, GWS, Sydney, Adelaide, Freo (old version - Yeah I know) are my favs

Eagles, Power, Suns, Hawks, Saints are my least favourite

Richmond's is overrated imo, but still in the better half.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
The Saint's would be better if we sang it more like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJPzVbXmTJg

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Are people factoring in "Never Tear Us Apart" by Inxs into their theme song calculations?

What about "Buddy's kickin' screwies at the SCG"?

Testro
May 2, 2009
Freo should've taken Eskimo Joe's take as their re-do song.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Nutsngum posted:

The Saint's would be better if we sang it more like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJPzVbXmTJg

The Saints should have a song by the The Saints as their song

Just have every team adopt an Aussie song as their theme and jettison the American show tunes. West Coast can then just go with Eagle Rock .

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Honestly to me Freo cut the best part of their song out, the bit that modeled itself off the Song of the Volga Boatmen sounded good

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/AFL/status/1045942306208010240

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Brown Paper Bag posted:

"Know your Product" would be a good starter for the Saints Football Team, since they have a hard time with that at the moment.

Washed my car this afternoon, just to park it a friend's place tonight and a flock (or murder?) of magpies appear out of no where and poo poo all down one side of my car.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
This song needs a new verse and updated lyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycYpie31L0g

Also, the first and last games of the seasons began with a five goal to none lead for the losing team, both winning teams were the current premiers.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I’m glad the footy is out of the way so we can focus on the main event - the trade and draft period

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

gay picnic defence posted:

I’m glad the footy is out of the way so we can focus on the main event - soft drink opinions

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Nah song chat

So obviously Richmond etc but what I don’t get is how can Carlton such a big club can have such a pathetic wet fart of a song. It’s just depressing.

Also lol to the articles about “spare a thought for gaff” “one moment of madness”

gently caress off with this culture of footy players not being responsible for their actions.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Solemn Sloth posted:

Songchat (excluding Melbourne’s because BIAS - I think we go somewhere around the top 5 personally)

1) Sydney
2) Richmond
3) GWS
4) Carlton
5) Bulldogs
6) Geelong
7) Collingwood
8) Brisbane
9) Essendon
10) Adelaide
11) Hawthorn
12) North Melbourne
13) St Kilda
14) Fremantle
15) Port Adelaide
16) West Coast
17) Gold Coast

Gold coast is better than west coast and freo, gtfo. And lol at Collingwood.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

teacup posted:

Nah song chat

So obviously Richmond etc but what I don’t get is how can Carlton such a big club can have such a pathetic wet fart of a song. It’s just depressing.

Also lol to the articles about “spare a thought for gaff” “one moment of madness”

gently caress off with this culture of footy players not being responsible for their actions.

Spare a thought for Nicnat tho

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Spare a thought for Sam Mitchell imo, missed out on a premiership by 1 year

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

Spare a thought for Sam Mitchell imo, missed out on a premiership by 1 year

So unlucky

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Just have every team adopt an Aussie song as their theme and jettison the American show tunes. West Coast can then just go with Eagle Rock .
Anyway if the Saints get moved to Tasmania they could go with "Stranded".

A fair few candidates - Holy Grail is usually the Hunnas song but I love the video from their weird krautrockish Perano era (at a guess it's Richard Lowenstein or someone running around with a camera at the MCG - the video dates from 1982/83 when Melbourne and Richmond were the only home teams there so it looks like the Richmond rooms there.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvM8FDkE7BQ

With a bit of banjo and some changes to the lyrics, we could find a club to take it I think.

I think the Wangaratta Rovers have a song based on "Click go the Shears" (they're the Hawks and play in Hawks colours but don't go with the Happy Team one, Wangaratta has too many syllables and also too much a reference to their next-door rivals)

The Deadly Hume fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 30, 2018

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
That Robert Walls article is exceptionally wrong headed, a lot of WC fans I know were quietly relieved that Priddis retired, and that to think a team with a spine as strong as WC that only played in a GF a few years ago would miss the finals is just silly

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The Deadly Hume posted:

I think the Wangaratta Rovers have a song based on "Click go the Shears" (they're the Hawks and play in Hawks colours but don't go with the Happy Team one, Wangaratta has too many syllables and also too much a reference to their next-door rivals)

Subiaco has the same style of song.
I think it's set to the tune behind battlehymn of the republic.

teacup posted:

He's going to get PAID by Norf next year and will probably never win one.
Of the two chances he had, he forgot to show up to one and tried to knock someone's block off for the other.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 30, 2018

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

teacup posted:

This is exactly the sort of pain/punishment that the 8 weeks was supposed to inflict. If he wanted his premiership medal he shouldn't have punched a teenager in the face.

And on song chat: I think it's interesting that apart from Port with "Never Tear Us Apart", more teams haven't co-opted real songs as unofficial anthems. I think Richmond tried to do something with Darryl Braithwaites Horses, but it didn't stick.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Freo play AC/DC TNT after the club song after a win

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Melbourne have the start of hells bells as they’re coming up the race before the song and Essendon do that dumb air raid siren

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Using Hells Bells is cool right up until they fade it straight into the jaunty 50s showtune that is the demons club song and it's awkward af

They should use Hells Bells as the lead up to the bounce down like what the Eagles used to do with fatboy slim right here right now at subi

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Hells bells is played by a lot at the mcg anyway. If is part of the set music before the siren including the orchestral eminem lose yourself cover.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
I am enjoying the butthurt about the Maynard ‘illegal shepherd’ resulting in the Sheed mark and goal

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

drunkill posted:

Hells bells is played by a lot at the mcg anyway. If is part of the set music before the siren including the orchestral eminem lose yourself cover.

I think it is It's a Long Way to the Top that is played alternately with the endless Lose Yourself loop. They need a new playlist, I'm so loving sick of those two tunes.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The reason the songs fail here is because marketing looks at things like "You'll never walk alone" at Anfield, "Z-Cars" at Goodison, and "You're getting sacked in the morning" wherever Man United are playing, and decides to replicate it by running a focus group to pick the song that best matches their corporate brand, and push it through constructed events.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

teacup posted:

Nah song chat

Carlton’s song rules, Essendon’s drools

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

The reason the songs fail here is because marketing looks at things like "You'll never walk alone" at Anfield, "Z-Cars" at Goodison, and "You're getting sacked in the morning" wherever Man United are playing, and decides to replicate it by running a focus group to pick the song that best matches their corporate brand, and push it through constructed events.

Nothing organically can happen in Australia, everything must be contrived by consultants and receive the blessing of the out of touch executive group of the given organisation.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

I am enjoying the butthurt about the Maynard ‘illegal shepherd’ resulting in the Sheed mark and goal

Maynard got (fairly) turned around in that contest by a stronger opponent with eyes for the ball.

Also, pies blew a 5 goal lead in a Grand Final and let the Eagles have 4 marks in a row, all in dangerous positions, with 2 minutes to go. So, you know, swings and roundabouts.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
My favourite song of the year was when the Saints changed their song to something about a sponsor, even the Saints fans were booing it.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid

Quantum Shart posted:

My favourite song of the year was when the Saints changed their song to something about a sponsor, even the Saints fans were booing it.

I actively buried this memory. God, what a shitshow.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Quantum Shart posted:

Adelaide did that too.

Or did you forget the abomination which was the original Adelaide Crows theme song?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLHAZjzkpKg

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Tornhelm posted:

Adelaide did that too.

Or did you forget the abomination which was the original Adelaide Crows theme song?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLHAZjzkpKg

At least we didn't change to it, we just started badly and changed to a better second attempt

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Yeah Greg Champion did a good job with the do-over.

Apparently he prepped one for Port too but for some reason they decided to stick to their current nonsense.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

BrigadierSensible posted:

And on song chat: I think it's interesting that apart from Port with "Never Tear Us Apart", more teams haven't co-opted real songs as unofficial anthems. I think Richmond tried to do something with Darryl Braithwaites Horses, but it didn't stick.

Did you not hear the seven million renditions of Eagle Rock yesterday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I think Sydney have Sweet Caroline for some reason.