Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Do you love named techniques? Because that's what we're getting all the time now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kanos posted:

From completely different angles, too. "Techniques are required for the weak to defeat the strong" leads to both "Therefore I'll come up with the best techniques to defeat anyone" and "Therefore I'll become so unbelievably strong that I simply don't need techniques".

I guess Raian subscribes to the Julius school of thought, since he refused to use a single one of his Kure techniques and lost for his pride.

I like it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
New page, so just in case.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

glad that's over. bring on wakashita, julias, muteba and jun

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I'm kind of dreading the Muteba and Jun fight.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Hypocrisy posted:

I'm kind of dreading the Muteba and Jun fight.

You need more FAITH IN PRO WRESTLING

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I bet the ref is happy he was able to stop a match without having someone threatening to kill him.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Electric Phantasm posted:

I bet the ref is happy he was able to stop a match without having someone threatening to kill him.

Fighters need to be nicer to the refs, I swear.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I thought for a second that the ref was about to suplex ohma or something when he threw his arms around him

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
drat now I want a fighter whose backstory is "I was a Kengan Tournament referee but watching the fights gave me the ability to predict people and now I'm a fighter myself."

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

that ref is a dumbass though, he saw the kind of hits that raian was outright ignoring but now suddenly he's an expert and knows the fight is over? just because one of the fighters fell over?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I think the attacks were being no-sold earlier and that fighter looked pretty limp by the end there

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Yeah ohma was just wailing on ryan who had been knocked out for good at that point.

I'm starting to like ohma's fighting style a lot more. Niko style is definitely a lot more interesting than the advance and seeing him chain these moves together is pretty fun. I like the idea of having 4 schools of techniques that can be blended together.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Brought To You By posted:

Do you love named techniques? Because that's what we're getting all the time now

I'm cool with this being a thing mostly restricted to Ohma, because the Niko style is the heart and soul of his character and it's supposed to be his big moment when he finally embraces it. It gives him flavor.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

tweet my meat posted:

Yeah ohma was just wailing on ryan who had been knocked out for good at that point.

I'm starting to like ohma's fighting style a lot more. Niko style is definitely a lot more interesting than the advance and seeing him chain these moves together is pretty fun. I like the idea of having 4 schools of techniques that can be blended together.

yeah this is p much exactly what i was thinking during the last couple chapters, niko style has a lot more potential for cool fights than "angry man with super mode punches very hard" and i'm glad it looks like ohma's going to make better use of it from now on.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

tweet my meat posted:

Yeah, they're really interesting, and the art is good at conveying what he's actually doing. Too often in these types of fighting manga you're just left with "oh I guess he punched... really hard" and a fancy technique name.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
You can tell that 2/3 of the people involved in the creation of this comic are heavy into real world martial arts

I mean it's not capital R realistic but there's a lot of texture that most battle manga are lacking

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
hoping muteba and julius win the next fights so julius can show how his eyes are ridiculous muscles

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jose posted:

hoping muteba and julius win the next fights so julius can show how his eyes are ridiculous muscles

Julius breaks Muteba's fingers with his eye muscles.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the most important part of the chapter was the promise of more kure omake chapters

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I like how retsudo was ultimately proved correct

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I know wakatsuki is practically a main character like Cosmo but im hoping he loses so we can see ohmas technique Vs Julius muscles

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If Julius wasn't Toyo Power's guy I'd definitely expect Wakatsuki to win since it feels like he keeps being built up as the biggest physical freak in the whole world. Instead I'm guessing it's a really close fight he barely loses.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Also daroemeon is a monster to get a chapter that long out on a weekly schedule

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Sindai posted:

If Julius wasn't Toyo Power's guy I'd definitely expect Wakatsuki to win since it feels like he keeps being built up as the biggest physical freak in the whole world. Instead I'm guessing it's a really close fight he barely loses.

Agree on on the close fight, but I think Wakatsuki pulls it out in the end. Julius, like Jun, seems completely invested in his fighting style, to the point that he’d rather lose ‘his way’ than adapt to win.

OTOH, he didn’t seem to have a problem with completely sidestepping Sawada, and who knows what other tricks old man Toyo has up his sleeve?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Kanos posted:

I'm cool with this being a thing mostly restricted to Ohma, because the Niko style is the heart and soul of his character and it's supposed to be his big moment when he finally embraces it. It gives him flavor.

It's just a bit of overload in names being thrown around this fight especially given how the rest of the series plays itself out. But Ohma must have needed a lot of seasoning this fight with all the verbage needed for the Niko style. Which isn't too untrue given he's basically been battling against his memory gaps this whole time so now that the full realization of what he's been after will be apparent, we'll finally get to know his whole story at some point in the future and he'll start using the really impressive Niko stuff.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Ohma, despite his newfound resolve, gets knocked out in the final round after hesitating while trying to remember the full name of his ultimate move

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

tweet my meat posted:

Ohma, despite his newfound resolve, gets knocked out in the final round after hesitating while trying to remember the full name of his ultimate move

Flashing... Iron uh... Steel Redirection... Headbutt?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Jose posted:

I know wakatsuki is practically a main character like Cosmo but im hoping he loses so we can see ohmas technique Vs Julius muscles

I'm pretty sure that Wakatsuki is muscular on par with Julius. I mean, not in bulk, but it was established that his weight is (presumably) waaaaaaay heavier than you'd expect by looking at him, and he was able to lift THE Morobuchi Gozo with one arm that was in a lock. It's going to be the hyper-muscle thing like that one kid in Germany.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
There is zero chance that Julius makes it past The Wild Tiger imo

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012
Wasnt there a scene a while back of wakatsukis CEO meeting Hayami that never got resolved? Its possible Hayami is going to do something tricky and wakatsuki wont get to fight Julius at all. Obviously the manga isnt going to end without wakatsuki getting another fight but i suspect some crazy stuff is going to happen towards the end and therell be fights outside of the tournament

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
THIS FIGHT RULED

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

The Cosmo vs. Akoya fight still lingers in my mind so I don't find myself really caring for this one. Happy for Kazzy though.

The next fight though, I am almost absurdly hype about.

Artelier posted:

You need more FAITH IN PRO WRESTLING

I think Jun will win but I figure there will be some really nasty parts to that fight. I was cringing when the Crying man got stabbed in the brain and when Akoya bit a chunk out of Cosmo.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Lord of Hats posted:

I'm pretty sure that Wakatsuki is muscular on par with Julius. I mean, not in bulk, but it was established that his weight is (presumably) waaaaaaay heavier than you'd expect by looking at him, and he was able to lift THE Morobuchi Gozo with one arm that was in a lock. It's going to be the hyper-muscle thing like that one kid in Germany.

Murobuchi Gozo was a scrub who probably would have lost to Rihito.

edit: I was re-reading some of the earlier chapters, and I forgot how ridiculously strong Adam Dudley apparently is. It mentioned how his punch from an awkward position with zero hip behind it would have been enough to one-hit KO Cosmo. Makes me think that he would have actually stood a chance against a number of the fighters (like the aforementioned scrub Murobuchi Gozo).

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Wakatsuki vs The Murobuchi Gozo us still one of my favorite fights

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ytlaya posted:

Murobuchi Gozo was a scrub who probably would have lost to Rihito.

edit: I was re-reading some of the earlier chapters, and I forgot how ridiculously strong Adam Dudley apparently is. It mentioned how his punch from an awkward position with zero hip behind it would have been enough to one-hit KO Cosmo. Makes me think that he would have actually stood a chance against a number of the fighters (like the aforementioned scrub Murobuchi Gozo).

The gently caress?????

The Murobuchi Gozo is a physical powerhouse in his own right, it's just that his opponent was Wakatsuki, an insane freak of nature.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Getting matched against Wakatsuki in the first round just seems like the second-worst luck imaginable, with only a match vs. the Fang being even less desirable.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Don't forget Mr Fingers who Rihito had the pleasure of facing in round one, there's a reason the slot facing him was the last one taken

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

It's still funny that nikaido ren is doing something behind the scenes that guy thinks will work despite getting Chumped by setsuna

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ytlaya posted:

Julius breaks Muteba's fingers with his eye muscles.

Yeah uh you should get used to seeing broken fingers. There are a LOT in this manga.