Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Hel posted:

Except of course during the modern sections where play you either a non-character (Black Flag & Rogue) or one of two americans: Desmond Miles(1-3) or Layla Hassan(Origins). The games still included american PCs even if they weren't the main one.

pretty sure is Egyptian born though raised in america(she talks about it a ton in her laptop) but point taken. why is that an issue? assassins creed has been pretty drat progressive in good and genuine ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Hel posted:

It used to be that a lot of games were made for the local market and possibly translated to English for an international release but nowadays it seems to be made for an american market first, does any other media industry in the west work this way? I can find modern books, movies ,songs and theatre in Swedish but games seems to elude me outside of badly translated subtitles in Saints Row 2 and Uncharted or the occasional indie game with muffled Swedish for barks.

Games are still being made in ways that make them resonate more with local markets. But those that do, don't necessarily gain a lot of main stream attention on the American market and as such you just might not have heard about them.

There's an absurd amount of extremely Japanese games that never even get a translation and a lot of those that do don't necessarily have a lot of hype or attention behind them because what a Japanese audience wants doesn't sell well for an American audience. Like, the Yakuza series is probably as high profile and successful as it could get given how oriented it tends to be towards Japanese culture. The games don't even bother explaining a lot of the important cultural/societal context that would be required to understand everything that is going on and a lot of this stuff is just lost on the western viewer and never explained in game.

Germans love their extremely specific simulators, but you'll never see them blasting commercials for those in international television because it's a niche audience to begin with. There's several German publishers whose entire portfolio is based around historical trade games, since those sell well locally.

South Korea has had plenty of titles that are made for the local market first. The grindy Korean MMOs are probably the most well known, but there's also games marketed primarily with PC Bangs in mind or focused towards other types of communal gaming cafes and the local eSports culture.

The Witcher series is extremely successful on top of being very polish.

I don't really see it. Yeah, Ubisoft is french and their titles are oriented towards the American market. That's partially why they are as big as they are because it's a huge market.
Some of it is due to big main stream mass market AAA development being super expensive, leading to the disappearance of many medium sized studios. Many smaller companies end up stuck producing jank or indie titles that just don't have the same presence on the market. And those studios that do aim for a big audience frequently understand that the American video game market is big and requires less adjustments for higher benefits than each individual smaller nation.

As far as Sweden is concerned, Paradox Interactive is decently sized and has a decent output that even supports local student projects like the fairly notable Magicka (which has slurred faux swedish sound bytes, I believe?).
I guess Cities Skylines might've received some adjustments in regards to the architecture of its buildings, but it didn't yet seem distinctly American to me. It's really more of a generic city amalgamation.

TLDR: There's plenty of games made for a local market. Some of it just isn't as visible due to cultural preferences.

Zwiebel fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 29, 2018

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

pretty sure is Egyptian born though raised in america(she talks about it a ton in her laptop) but point taken. why is that an issue? assassins creed has been pretty drat progressive in good and genuine ways.
The wiki says she's got american citizenship , even ignoring that it would only mean that of main games only half is without american PCs(including Rogue and Liberation makes it slightly better).
I'm not saying the Assassins Creed games aren't progressive(though Syndicates evil queer theatre guy was a bit odd, as was having a lot of the plot being the female PC cleaning up after the male one.) as far as mainstream games go. It's just that as non american it's really obvious how much of western non-american developed videogame media is pandering to them that even a game about exploring different cultures has to be anchored in America.

Zwiebel posted:

TLDR: There's plenty of games made for a local market. Some of it just isn't as visible due to cultural preferences.

Which is why I specified western developers, and yes there is german simulators and some adventure games but it's still way way less than other artforms. And I did forget Paradox mostly because I try after their wholly owned subsidiary tried to sneak neo-nazi codes into an RPG book.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Zwiebel posted:

As far as Sweden is concerned, Paradox Interactive is decently sized and has a decent output that even supports local student projects like the fairly notable Magicka (which has slurred faux swedish sound bytes, I believe?).
I guess Cities Skylines might've received some adjustments in regards to the architecture of its buildings, but it didn't yet seem distinctly American to me. It's really more of a generic city amalgamation.

Having winter maps be locked into eternal winter is pretty Scandinavian.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Hel posted:

Except of course during the modern sections where play you either a non-character (Black Flag & Rogue) or one of two americans: Desmond Miles(1-3) or Layla Hassan(Origins). The games still included american PCs even if they weren't the main one.

Nobody loving liked playing as the modern day people though. Those segments were loving miserable and involved either looking up Kirsten Bell and an old man's digital nostrils or doing the worst jumping and stealth sections or being literally a floating iPad in a modern office setting

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Nobody loving liked playing as the modern day people though. Those segments were loving miserable and involved either looking up Kirsten Bell and an old man's digital nostrils or doing the worst jumping and stealth sections or being literally a floating iPad in a modern office setting

this. some of the plots could have been interesting but they have mostly pushed the modern day plotlines into the comics and that piss poor movie i haven't seen.

Zwiebel posted:

Games are still being made in ways that make them resonate more with local markets. But those that do, don't necessarily gain a lot of main stream attention on the American market and as such you just might not have heard about them.

There's an absurd amount of extremely Japanese games that never even get a translation and a lot of those that do don't necessarily have a lot of hype or attention behind them because what a Japanese audience wants doesn't sell well for an American audience. Like, the Yakuza series is probably as high profile and successful as it could get given how oriented it tends to be towards Japanese culture. The games don't even bother explaining a lot of the important cultural/societal context that would be required to understand everything that is going on and a lot of this stuff is just lost on the western viewer and never explained in game.

thats why i love the yakuza series. its fascinating to learn about all the cultural and poo poo like Japanese zoning laws and vagrancy codes in the 80s.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Innuendo Studios is releasing all the videos!

All of them!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Hel posted:

And I did forget Paradox mostly because I try after their wholly owned subsidiary tried to sneak neo-nazi codes into an RPG book.

This is still some extreme hearsay. The entire hubbub as far as I remember came because the Vampire V5 book mentioned neo-nazis in regards to Brujah having had all kinds of weirdos and poseurs among them that can often clash with the wider clan, the very same paragraph mentioning them saying that there've been brujah that take on the attitudes and dress of hippies, anarchists and groups of antiquity right alongside anything else. Not to mention the response to people trying to string out that the team are somehow secret nazis because they spoke their name.

“White Wolf is a very diverse team,” Carl said in response to a question in chat, “and we feel that we are a global company and that we have a global community and that everybody is welcome in that community."

“Unless you are a Nazi,” Carl continued, “or a neo-Nazi, or a member of any other hate group that uses these disgusting philosophies to advance your hateful agendas. If you are a member of one of those groups or support those agendas we don’t want you in our community. You aren’t welcome, and if we find you spreading your hate in our community you will be shown the door. We don’t want your money. You can keep it.”

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Yardbomb posted:

This is still some extreme hearsay. The entire hubbub as far as I remember came because the Vampire V5 book mentioned neo-nazis in regards to Brujah having had all kinds of weirdos and poseurs among them that can often clash with the wider clan, the very same paragraph mentioning them saying that there've been brujah that take on the attitudes and dress of hippies, anarchists and groups of antiquity right alongside anything else. Not to mention the response to people trying to string out that the team are somehow secret nazis because they spoke their name.

“White Wolf is a very diverse team,” Carl said in response to a question in chat, “and we feel that we are a global company and that we have a global community and that everybody is welcome in that community."

“Unless you are a Nazi,” Carl continued, “or a neo-Nazi, or a member of any other hate group that uses these disgusting philosophies to advance your hateful agendas. If you are a member of one of those groups or support those agendas we don’t want you in our community. You aren’t welcome, and if we find you spreading your hate in our community you will be shown the door. We don’t want your money. You can keep it.”

also from them having a bunch of dumb poo poo that was absolutely winks to the alt-right down to that same clan having a weakness literally called 'triggered' and their playtest demo focusing on poo poo like pedo vamps and examples of feeding granting bonuses being aggressive gays dressed as spartans at a club and poo poo

but yea they have minority friends and said 'whaaaat nooooo we never did anything weird' so it's all good

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

Their playtest demo focusing on poo poo like pedo vamps

This is another thing people read into more than they probably ever thought on, from what I remember one character in a playtest is mentioned as drinking blood from kids among otherwise being a horrible person, it's not presented as a good thing and the further extent of that came from people going "Wait a second, vampire bites are supposed to feel super good" and the nature of vampires drinking someone's blood and all that in media having had to do with eroticism for a while, so people calling White Wolf pedophiles because they had a character that could be spun out into being seen as one. The "Triggered" thing is lovely, but never made it to release and they jumped on that one apologizing quick, which make of that one what you will but they didn't wait until they had their arm twisted to do it.

sexpig by night posted:

but yea they have minority friends and said 'whaaaat nooooo we never did anything weird' so it's all good

Or that they've had a bunch of returning minority writers and also frequently include LGBTQ, PoC and other marginalized groups as protagonists to the furor of the lovely net-nazis people tried to paint them as over some screwy things, on top of having consistently improved their sensibilities of their own volition over the years and owning up to a deal of their old content being lovely and insensitive. People trying to paint White Wolf as crypto-nazis has always been weird as hell when they've also constantly been jumped on by right wingers calling them horrible essjooz destroying tabletop long before "SJW" became the pejorative.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Max Wilco posted:

Continuing with his Elder Scrolls review series, LGR covered Oblivion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbLEu1obOeE

between this and his duke nukem forever opinions i stand by being glad lgr mostly does hardware stuff these days.

oblivion is loving terrible.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There was also you know the whole vampire mobile game made by known serial harasser Zak S, featuring such gems as an obvious stand -in character for a trans trpg developer he harassed out of the industry. Said stand-in character was a rapist.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Terrible Opinions posted:

There was also you know the whole vampire mobile game made by known serial harasser Zak S, featuring such gems as an obvious stand -in character for a trans trpg developer he harassed out of the industry. Said stand-in character was a rapist.

And where he and other shitbags were used as consultants for the book

but hey who knows what that means

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

between this and his duke nukem forever opinions i stand by being glad lgr mostly does hardware stuff these days.

id say it was great for its time, maybe not in the deepest sense but i loved it when i first played it.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Dapper_Swindler posted:

id say it was great for its time, maybe not in the deepest sense but i loved it when i first played it.

Some of the side quests (Thieves' Guild, Dark Brotherhood) were pretty good. Most everything else was forgettable, like a lot of Bethesda's open world RPGs.

rudecyrus fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 30, 2018

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Are you the jester?

No, I am a messenger of death.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

gently caress yourself, that's a whole year and a half of my life you're talking about

Of course this was on PC, with all the mods. Like, ALL of the mods. Anyone who played it on a console was politely but firmly asked to leave. The only way to play Oblivion is to reinstall it, spend 20 hours re-downloading and sorting through all the mods to get it to work, load it up, kill a Black Horse Courier guy and then not touch it again.

I'm kinda glad that Maxwell Adams' LP of the game (which I think was originally on freaking Google Video) is still online:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbEmJcEkLDc

A classic demonstration of the correct way to play Oblivion. Create the ugliest possible character, use mods to be able to ride around on a giant Dreugh and install weapons from Final Fantasy VII that literally clip through the floor, only touch the main quest when you can't think of literally anything else to do, gently caress with the console and spend lots of time on that one Dark Brotherhood quest where you kill everyone in the house because it's the best part of the game. Also has one of the most appropriate and perfect endings to any LP.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 30, 2018

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

The pizza roll guy died a few years ago :(

1-800-DOCTORB fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 30, 2018

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

The pizza roll guy died a few years ago :(

God dammit :smith:

Please remove that link from the quote

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

BigMastadon. He ended up losing quite a lot of the weight at one point but sadly I think he ended up putting it all back on again.

EDIT: That pizza rolls video went quite viral back in the day (the original one that is, not the RP). Because of that Tosh.0 invited him to put a video on their show where he ate as many chickens in a can as he could...so yeah. Yay for Web 2.0 exploitation I guess :/

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 30, 2018

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

For those like myself who don't click links blindly, it's a series about Mad Max: Fury Road and the roles women have played in action movies. It's very good, watch it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the game world was boring and generic, the quets lines were all poo poo except the first half of the dark brotherhood (which turns to poo poo after that first half), the rpg elements were dumbed down significantly, the ui was dogshit, the level scaling was such that it made the most sense to simply never level up at all and just beat the game at level 1 because it was literally easier. it's a very, very bad videogame from a game design, worldbuilding and gameplay sense.

Kim Justice posted:

gently caress yourself, that's a whole year and a half of my life you're talking about

Of course this was on PC, with all the mods. Like, ALL of the mods. Anyone who played it on a console was politely but firmly asked to leave. The only way to play Oblivion is to reinstall it, spend 20 hours re-downloading and sorting through all the mods to get it to work, load it up, kill a Black Horse Courier guy and then not touch it again.

I'm kinda glad that Maxwell Adams' LP of the game (which I think was originally on freaking Google Video) is still online:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbEmJcEkLDc

A classic demonstration of the correct way to play Oblivion. Create the ugliest possible character, use mods to be able to ride around on a giant Dreugh and install weapons from Final Fantasy VII that literally clip through the floor, only touch the main quest when you can't think of literally anything else to do, gently caress with the console and spend lots of time on that one Dark Brotherhood quest where you kill everyone in the house because it's the best part of the game. Also has one of the most appropriate and perfect endings to any LP.

i mean sure i guess you could have fun with it if you download enough mods to practically turn it into a different game. i don't think saying 'no the game actually rules if you spend hours and hours downloading a shitload of mods' is a very strong defense though, especially when it's a game whose direct predecessor and successor are both way the gently caress better without a single solitary mod installed at all than the game in question is even with all that extra poo poo thrown into it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Obloomvion

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

poparena posted:

For those like myself who don't click links blindly, it's a series about Mad Max: Fury Road and the roles women have played in action movies. It's very good, watch it.

Sorry about making a jokey post without giving the thread some context, but yes it's a video on six female action hero archetypes and how Mad Max: Fury Road subverts those archetypes. It's smart, it's entertaining, it's just plain good.

Innuendo Studios is quickly rising the ranks of my favourite YouTubers.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

This is another thing people read into more than they probably ever thought on, from what I remember one character in a playtest is mentioned as drinking blood from kids among otherwise being a horrible person, it's not presented as a good thing and the further extent of that came from people going "Wait a second, vampire bites are supposed to feel super good" and the nature of vampires drinking someone's blood and all that in media having had to do with eroticism for a while, so people calling White Wolf pedophiles because they had a character that could be spun out into being seen as one. The "Triggered" thing is lovely, but never made it to release and they jumped on that one apologizing quick, which make of that one what you will but they didn't wait until they had their arm twisted to do it.

Or that they've had a bunch of returning minority writers and also frequently include LGBTQ, PoC and other marginalized groups as protagonists to the furor of the lovely net-nazis people tried to paint them as over some screwy things, on top of having consistently improved their sensibilities of their own volition over the years and owning up to a deal of their old content being lovely and insensitive. People trying to paint White Wolf as crypto-nazis has always been weird as hell when they've also constantly been jumped on by right wingers calling them horrible essjooz destroying tabletop long before "SJW" became the pejorative.

white wolf hired a guy to write fiction for vampire who is a very well known harasser and general toxic piece of poo poo who included a trans vampire rapist named after an actual trans trad game creator they have beef with

do not defend them

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Zwiebel posted:

:words: about games around the world.

:911: :britain::canada::china::france::japan::poland:

Yakuza was a niche series for a long time, and there was question if Y5 was going to get released in the states after 4 and Dead Souls (4 is really good, Dead Souls not so much). I think Y0 and the bowling chicken is what really brought it into the spotlight. I dunno if we'd get the Ishin series over here.

There's also Russia/Eastern Europe with games like STALKER, Pathologic, and artsy games like The Void.

Really, the sad thing about Ubisoft is that for a French dev, they make really boring stuff. People talk about how wacky Japanese games are, but French video games have a penchant for being way more out there and crazy bizarre.

quote:

White Wolf stuff
All I had heard was that they made reference to the alt-right when describing the Brujah in the newest material (which seems jarring and somewhat ill-fitting), but that was all. Apart that and the Zak Sabbath mobile message games Alaois mentioned, I was under the impression Paradox had drummed out a lot of the questionable stuff from the old days of White Wolf.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

:what:

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 30, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Alaois posted:

white wolf hired a guy to write fiction for vampire who is a very well known harasser and general toxic piece of poo poo who included a trans vampire rapist named after an actual trans trad game creator they have beef with

do not defend them

I genuinely missed when they hired lovely Zak Smith on, so yeah that's actually pretty indefensible which is a shame, I guess swedracula really did get his hooks in there.

Onyx Path far as I know continue to be cool people though, barring Beast having been an absolute wreck with everyone there minus McFarland himself (Now shitcanned anyway) despising it, so at least there's always that.

Max Wilco posted:

Apart that and the Zak Sabbath mobile message games Alaois mentioned, I was under the impression Paradox had drummed out a lot of the questionable stuff from the old days of White Wolf.

Yeah that's what I was missing out on, content-wise they cleaned up shop a lot, but wowie some real trash hires.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dragonatrix posted:

Youtube kept popping this up in my recommendations for some reason and I don't think it's been posted in this thread yet. It's a long watch (2 hours), and the video title intentionally copies what Hbomb names some of his long-form critiques but:

Steven Universe Is Garbage And Here's Why

Personally, I've never really watched Steven Universe since even the people who like it make it sound really scattershot and boring, so this was genuinely interesting and fascinating to see just how much of a mess it really is. On like every single level possible, really.

For real, I always figured the problem with shows like this was a large team of writers/storyboard artist who didn't communicate episode to episode. I didn't realize how much a bad executive producer could wreck an entire show.

Lily is great btw. She has some interesting takes and has honestly made me reevaluate shows like Family Guy and Big Bang Theory that i just kinda assume are lovely. Still never watching MLP, but her videos about it and the community are worth watching too.

Also her politics are pretty good so that's nice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGqOZS8ww1I

OmanyteJackson fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 30, 2018

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Just so you know, Lily Peet is a notorious for being an insanely combative drama magnet and writing pedophile rape MLP fanfiction to boot.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The problem with shows like Steven Universe is that they are made for children but their nosiest and most obnoxious fans are adults.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Well it's not like kids are gonna log in to Something Awful and complain about Lapis and Peridot's relationship arc and the show's general lack of adventurous cinematography.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

khwarezm posted:

Just so you know, Lily Peet is a notorious for being an insanely combative drama magnet and writing pedophile rape MLP fanfiction to boot.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

khwarezm posted:

You know I was going to make a joke connecting this to Dongicus's gay Bowser incest fanfiction, but then wondered why he hadn't posted anything ridiculously stupid in this thread in a while. It turns out he was banned for hating fat people and accusing everyone who disagreed with him of being a pedophile.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i mean sure i guess you could have fun with it if you download enough mods to practically turn it into a different game. i don't think saying 'no the game actually rules if you spend hours and hours downloading a shitload of mods' is a very strong defense though, especially when it's a game whose direct predecessor and successor are both way the gently caress better without a single solitary mod installed at all than the game in question is even with all that extra poo poo thrown into it.

Well...I mean, no of course. It's not meant to be. Oblivion was probably a great introduction to mods for a whole shitload of people though cause Bethesda kinda made it easy to add all this crap into the game. That was certainly the case for me - Oblivion was the grand introduction to adding loads of things, from utter fluff to drat near essential upgrades, into a game. Hence why I played it for many many many hours.

Like, you're obviously right with a lot of your criticisms. The main quest is hot garbage you play through once as a necessary evil and then never loving touch ever again, sticking to the way better side quests and lines like Dark Brotherhood and Thieves' Guild. The world isn't exactly exciting by design - Cyrodil is the Imperial province after all and so even in the lore it's meant to be kinda dull. Speechcraft is ridiculous in execution, you level Acrobatics by jumping everywhere, there's really 6 Planes of Oblivion and they all look the same anyway, the opening tutorial is even worse and way more boring than Bethesda's own Fallout 3, all the voices are provided by about 5 actors if you don't include Patrick Stewart, Sean Bean and Terence Stamp, the beggars speak to you in a creaky "I AM POOR" voice until you ask them about Rumours and they suddenly sound posher than the freaking Emperor's wife, the levelling system is a thing of utter comedy, magic is mostly boring and unnecessary, there's probably 95% of things like alchemy, spellcrafting and weapon repair in the game that you can do but frankly don't really need to at all because the game shits potions, scrolls and swords in your direction at all times, exploring caves, forts and ayleid ruins is generally kinda dull after the first few go arounds, and there's that BASTARD loving Adoring Fan who you get as a reward for pouring heaps of insults onto your body by completing the Arena quest line who serves one real purpose - to take an arrow to the back of the head on the very edge of Dive Rock.

Your criticisms are utterly correct. But I still love it and it's a very special game to me. It wasn't so much a game as it was a canvas. But it did at least allow you to create a spell that would send all the objects flying across a room without actually hurting anyone - that was fun.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Sep 30, 2018

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

khwarezm posted:

I mean yeah, she's combative in that she's pro punching nazi's and doesn't buy into alt-right nerd poo poo dudes like Hbomb and Movie bob do the same thing. Haven't heard about that fanfiction, though looking for it only comes up on sights like encyclopedia dramatica. If you know something I don't than let me know but I don't think she has any empathy for predators. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgTD7JEe1Tc

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

OmanyteJackson posted:

I mean yeah, she's combative in that she's pro punching nazi's and doesn't buy into alt-right nerd poo poo dudes like Hbomb and Movie bob do the same thing. Haven't heard about that fanfiction, though looking for it only comes up on sights like encyclopedia dramatica. If you know something I don't than let me know but I don't think she has any empathy for predators. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgTD7JEe1Tc

No, it's way deeper than that, the chuds in places like Kiwifarms or Encyclopedia Dramatica loving love her because she provides them with things like this and reams of bizarre twitter wars over meaningless cartoon bullshit where she threatens to kill people over seemingly anything. A loving black hole of weird drama surrounds her and she doesn't seem to know how to step back at all which has pretty much turned her into the new Chris Chan for a ton of creepy trolls. Even just looking at her videos you can see things like her creepy preoccupation with how Rebecca Sugar, for example, is the worst human being on the planet because of how she made a loving cartoon.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The problem with shows like Steven Universe is that they are made for children but their nosiest and most obnoxious fans are adults.

We know it's popular with adult nerds but are there any stats about how popular it is with actual children?

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

khwarezm posted:

No, it's way deeper than that, the chuds in places like Kiwifarms or Encyclopedia Dramatica loving love her because she provides them with things like this and reams of bizarre twitter wars over meaningless cartoon bullshit where she threatens to kill people over seemingly anything. A loving black hole of weird drama surrounds her and she doesn't seem to know how to step back at all which has pretty much turned her into the new Chris Chan for a ton of creepy trolls. Even just looking at her videos you can see things like her creepy preoccupation with how Rebecca Sugar, for example, is the worst human being on the planet because of how she made a loving cartoon.

HBomb did an entire video personally calling out Stephen Moffat as a hack dude. People analyze creators through their works just to poo poo on them all the time in this thread. It's weird that you see calling out Rebecca Sugar for being obsessed with trama is a bridge too far while also criticizing Lily for her fanfic for dealing with the same topic. Lily admits to being an abuse survivor, not that that matters when your only complaint is that right wing trolls hate her and paint her in a negative light. Some nerds hate her because she has strong opinions and says them in a mean way, ok, why does that even matter?

Like the whole conceit of this thread is that the poo poo we consume matters right? Didn't Hbomb say red letter media was on the wrong side of history for there star wars review? (I don't mean to pick on hbomberguy, love his work).

I don't get you. Why are you buying into propaganda made by the worst people on the internet? What are you trying to say?

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I’m not about to sit through two hours of her talking about Steven Universe but I’ve seen a few of her other videos and they certainly confirm the “insanely combative drama magnet” part. She appears to spend a lot of time getting pissed about ponies or feuding with other people in the mlp fandom over some meaningless bullshit about the show introducing a new character or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Kim Justice posted:

The world isn't exactly exciting by design - Cyrodil is the Imperial province after all and so even in the lore it's meant to be kinda dull.
I mean that's kind of a chicken and CHIM question.

Before Oblivion Cyrodil was a dense rainforest punctuated by large rivers leading down to everglades. Once Bethesda decided to set the game there it became magically always just the most generic middle-European fantasy setting.

The only reason the lore says it's kind of dull is because Bethesda didn't want to make a cool jungle kingdom.