Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Iconoclasts is a 2D action-adventure platformer developed by Joakim "Konjak" Sandberg whose other works include Noitu Love 2 and a few smaller projects like Legend of Princess. The game was released on Jan 23, 2018, and is available on Steam, GOG, PS4, Vita, and Nintendo Swtich.

Story

Most if not all of the story will be presented in-game; but to give you an idea of what you are getting into, here's what is on the store page:

The Store Page posted:

Robin just wants to be a mechanic and help people, but without a license she’s a sinner in Mother’s eyes. Ever since picking up her wrench, the world has been going nuts and she's wanted to bolt it back together. Now Penance is raining down on everyone she loves and One Concern agents are after her.

But something big is going on – bigger than droughts of Ivory fuel and personal conflicts – and Robin’s in the thick of it.
The LP

This will be an informative LP where most of the playthrough will be on harder mode, but we will be dipping into standard and challenge mode from time to time to show off differences, alternate strategies, etc.

Spoiler Policy

Please don't spoil anything that hasn't been covered yet.

Updates

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

-reserved for stuff-

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Updates #1

Our story begins like any other, being awoken by some building demolition.

New Stuff

Stun-Gun
Modified stun-gun meant for warding off aggressive animals.

With standard shots, its aim tracks enemies within your facing.

Wrench
Swing it at bolts to grab them and press again to twist them.
Hold the button to spin the wrench

It is illegal to own one without being a registered mechanic.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 14, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

How does Robin get her hair like that?

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Really Pants posted:

Magic according to this.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Really Pants posted:

It's...uh...bolted on. :downsrim:

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

This game's amazing, and I'm glad it's being shown off to people who might not play it otherwise.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I liked it but didn't love it (based on a playthrough that's somewhere around 95% done). I think it's got a few rough edges, but it's a good game, and I would definitely encourage anyone who's interested to give it a try.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
I really enjoyed this game. Once you get into it the movement is really fluid, making for fun platforming, and while the combat's never super complicated, it does build on itself as the game goes on. Also I love the art style and Robin is absolutely adorable. Despite the very cute art style, though, the game has it's moments.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I found the aesthetics charming, but the level design can be a bit offputting at times. But I also really appreciate the plot. It bears paying attention to.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I too like this game.

Except for some of the puzzles dealing with chests. Those can get annoying.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Neat. I was waiting for this one to go live.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Well, this game is charming as all heck.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Shei-kun posted:

Well, this game is charming as all heck.

I never noticed all the other times I watched the intro stage that Agent White has no less than three sets of sunglasses on his person.

Maybe more. Very charming indeed.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Haha. The autosave icon is a literal checkpoint.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Oops, I almost forgot to bookmark this thread.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ah, I'd just finished this game! It's a little rough around the edges but pretty satisfying to play. I look forward to seeing all the worldbuilding in your playthrough with the knowledge of the rest of the game and actually figuring out what the hell is going on.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I really wanted to love this, but it just never felt right, at some points it felt infuriatingly vague about what it wanted me to do to accomplish certain things and I just never really felt particularly invested in any of the characters or the plot, not even the protagonist, so in the end I just realized I was putting up with it, rather than actually enjoying it, and put it down. Maybe I'll enjoy it more as an LP than as a game.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

PurpleXVI posted:

I really wanted to love this, but it just never felt right, at some points it felt infuriatingly vague about what it wanted me to do to accomplish certain things and I just never really felt particularly invested in any of the characters or the plot, not even the protagonist, so in the end I just realized I was putting up with it, rather than actually enjoying it, and put it down. Maybe I'll enjoy it more as an LP than as a game.

Same. I liked this game for the first hour or so, after which it slowly became less enjoyable until I intensely disliked it by the end. I'll keep an eye on this LP to see if my opinion of it changes, but yeah, oof.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I enjoyed this game but I got stuck at points in it. Still enjoyed it once I got out but boy was I trapped there for a good 4 days before I found the right room.

This is what happens to me when I don't have a minimap or hallway to follow.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yep, we've got a wrench. A piece of flagrantly illegal... bent... metal. No wonder White's flying off the handle all the time. "A sharp blade? A SCALPEL!? LIAR QUACK DOCTOR LIAR!"

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Updates #2

After her encounter with One Concern Agents, Black and White, Robin visits Settlement 17 to lay low, visit some friends and family, and maybe gets some advice on what to do about her agent problem. Will things go over smoothly, or will things only get worse from here? Find out now!

Also if you're interested in reading what Yon has to say, you can read that here: Yon's Yarns

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 30, 2018

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

What a fun game. The ending was a little abrupt, but not every story about resisting evil will have a storybook resolution.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

It looks like they changed the dialogue in that escape scene? Because ummmmmmm it was not so dad-joke before :stonklol:

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Bellmaker posted:

It looks like they changed the dialogue in that escape scene? Because ummmmmmm it was not so dad-joke before :stonklol:

Yeah, it got changed in either ver1.13 or 1.14.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
I was wondering what was up with the jokes! I definitely remember them very differently.

It's a shame Robin died so fast, though.

Honestly, though, this game remains adorable. Robin's idle animation bounces in time with the town music. Everything's so expressive. And Black's attitude is hilarious. She's so deadpan.

There's definitely a darkness behind the adorable. People are dying - including all that was left of Robin's family.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Bellmaker posted:

What were they before? I tried googling and it indicates they were making raunchy jokes, mainly because all the google hits were posts on reddit from people who don't know what censorship means.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Xerophyte posted:

What were they before? I tried googling and it indicates they were making raunchy jokes, mainly because all the google hits were posts on reddit from people who don't know what censorship means.

They were talking about what they'd like to do to the citizens of the settlements, and given the power dynamic between enforcers of a regime and the people they oppress it came off as a bit rapey to some, I think. So it got replaced with dad jokes.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

SirSamVimes posted:

They were talking about what they'd like to do to the citizens of the settlements, and given the power dynamic between enforcers of a regime and the people they oppress it came off as a bit rapey to some, I think. So it got replaced with dad jokes.

Ah, that makes sense then. Man, those little chauvinist snowflakes sure are sensitive.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

SirSamVimes posted:

It does kind of change the dynamic of the scene, I didn't get the impression the original jokes came off as a bit rapey, I thought they were intentionally rapey, and the point was kind of "these are the bad guys, they find rape jokes funny" and then Black kind of stands out because there's ambiguity on whether her irritation is coming just from a headache or being forcibly reminded of the system she's propping up. I don't think players were intended to find the original jokes even slightly funny.

With the jokes replaced by dad jokes all that kind of goes away. That said if people felt the tone was inappropriate and the author agreed with that he has every right to change it, and people screaming about sjw censorship or whatever are loving stupid.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Well I'm an idiot. Since the rank and file grunts for an evil organization are largely morons, I took all that stuff they said as bullshit. About on the level of 'Oh yeah, I have a girlfriend. She lives in Canada though.' When you're in like middle school though. Not mad about them changing them, though I found the last batch to be funnier.

The only thing I'm mad about is that it's so hard to find detailed patch notes in the first place. Granted, I bought this on the PS4 and that's no help when detailed information is involved.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Personally I'm glad the jokes were changed. As we'll see later on, most soldiers are portrayed more as dorky goofballs than ones that think 'doing' someone is funny. Not to mention the change makes one encounter in the very next update a lot less weird.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

theres a fwiggin' genocide going on acwass da borda, why dont we do sumfin..? pweeez no votey for joe biden uWu
yeah the original scene is 1. much stronger on its own 2. hopelessly incongruous with basically all other portrayals of Concern soldiers as cartoon idiot henchmen.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Huh. I never saw the original version of that scene, but I can definitely see how this fits a lot better.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

If you're interested in seeing the original text, there's still an old demo floating around on Konjak's site. Be warned though, it's ultra rough.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
The Jay of Spade also caught it on video back in January if you're lazy. It's around 40:50 at this link: https://youtu.be/ag7jM0datGs

For the record, I'm also glad it was changed, the tonal whiplash is bad enough already.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, I can definitely get behind the new jokes.

On the other hand Black cringing and clutching her migraine addled brain every time works better with the original text.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I see what they were going for with the originals, but it definitely comes off a lot worse than I think it was meant to be. The new text is a big improvement.

FeyerbrandX posted:

On the other hand Black cringing and clutching her migraine addled brain every time works better with the original text.

She's responding to the noise level, not what they're saying.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 30, 2018

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

yeah the original scene is 1. much stronger on its own 2. hopelessly incongruous with basically all other portrayals of Concern soldiers as cartoon idiot henchmen.

I disagree with 2 because to me the scene basically played out as 'four immature young adult guys telling stupid and crude jokes to each other at a bar' which fits with the idiot henchmen bit.

This change does make them out to be more idiots though.

ultrafilter posted:

She's responding to the noise level, not what they're saying.

Why can't it be both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Really it feels like One Concern is chasing down the equivalent of Abominations Unto Nuggan.

...and is it me, or does Penance look a lot like the first boss?