Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Graphic posted:

only 10 or 15 16 bit games are still fun to play for more than 15 minutes

I agree, except I extend this to apply to all video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

steinrokkan posted:

This post is gargantuan in its odiousness

It's downright brobdingnagian

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said

Whatev posted:

Sounds about right for SNES/Genesis though. Even worthwhile ones like Super Metroid tend to feel a little clunky these days.

yeah I was thinking of SNES and Genesis.

a few months ago after I moved I was offline for 2-3 weeks waiting for them to hook me up. ZSNES didn't get me as far as I thought it would.

Super Metroid was one of the good ones imo though

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Earthbound is really clunky, and it took me a while to get the hang of Super Metroid. (I do like the quirks like how you can turn powerups on and off individually) Super Mario RPG is also a bit hard to go back to after playing the Paper Mario games, timed hits are actually kind of a bitch. Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island have aged really well, I think, but problem is I've kinda played them to death already.

OG Super Mario Kart is... kinda interesting in how freeform it can be in comparison to more recent instalments (Love how you can explore the N64 Peach's Castle courtyard in Mario Kart 64) and actually pretty fun if you have the patience for it, but the AI doesn't even try to be fair.

I did warn my little brother when showing off the SNES Mini that playing these old games is a bit like bringing a dinosaur back to life.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Like 95% of old games, even ones that were really good at the time are garbage now. Super Metroid and LTTP and a small handful of others hold up really well though.

Putting old games on a pedestal is for children that didn't have to suffer through them in real time or grade A weirdos. It's like dumbass 20 year olds that think cassette tapes were amazing because it was never their only option. It's mostly just a novelty at this point.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FFV and FFVI hold up pretty well. The FFV 4-job fiesta is still a fun thing

I'd rather be playing something like The Witcher 3 but they have their own charm

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

Like 95% of old games, even ones that were really good at the time are garbage now. Super Metroid and LTTP and a small handful of others hold up really well though.

Putting old games on a pedestal is for children that didn't have to suffer through them in real time or grade A weirdos. It's like dumbass 20 year olds that think cassette tapes were amazing because it was never their only option. It's mostly just a novelty at this point.

Too cynical for meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said
besides what's been mentioned, Super Mario World, Street Fighter II (pick your favorite version), and Chrono Trigger

now we're at maybe 10 or 11. 15 might actually be pushing it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Well, counting Genesis, there's the original Sonic games, Gunstar Heroes I think has a kickass formula. And of course anything Kirby.

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Well, counting Genesis, there's the original Sonic games, Gunstar Heroes I think has a kickass formula. And of course anything Kirby.

I appreciate the Genesis Sonic games but they can't break the 15 minute barrier for me.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

SNES has a ton of games that are still extremely fun. UN Squadron, Pocky & Rocky 1&2, Actraiser, Harvest Moon (SNES one is still the best), a lot of the RPG's are still good, Castlevania, Simcity, F Zero, just a bunch of games off the top of my head that I'd still consider playing through or which I'd have fun with for a few hours.

Genesis and PC Engine have a ton of great shooters, Toejam & Earl is still fun too.

Most of the platformers haven't aged well though. Sonic was never a good game, there's a ton of forgettable platformer shovelware on the SNES too, but I didn't care for those even when I was a kid

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I can play Sonic 3 & Knuckles for hours, and Earthworm Jim, too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm tempted to try Fortnite or something similar. It seems fun to gently caress around in, if probably horrible to actually earnestly try to win.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
sonic 3 and knuckles is really good, sonic 2 is enjoyable, sonic 1 is frustrating.

YagotmeIdidit
Jan 10, 2018

Shibawanko posted:

Sonic was never a good game

I hope you burn in hell.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Overall, Sega actually making good games was an anomaly and probably a fluke in their entire history.

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Overall, Sega actually making good games was an anomaly and probably a fluke in their entire history.

Virtua Fighter 4 is the best 3D fighter ever made which necessarily means its in the top 15-25.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

Graphic posted:

I appreciate the Genesis Sonic games but they can't break the 15 minute barrier for me.

That's because you can complete them in less than 15 minutes.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

YagotmeIdidit posted:

I hope you burn in hell.

I am in hell - when I play a Sonic game.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also see consoles.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That said, Sega publishes a fair few good games. I think the issue seems to be that their side franchises and publisher projects can often be good, but anything that they actually pay attention to turns to poo poo, with Sonic being their flagship franchise they can't bear to actually realise they need to completely change everything about how they make it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
the SNES is the king of console, i will not sit here and listen to its honor besmirched. the following 63 SNES games are still good today. fight me, find 48 games on this list that suck i dare you :colbert:

Actraiser
Breath of Fire
Breath of Fire 2
Super Castlevania
Chrono Trigger
Contra III
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Final Fantasy 4
Final Fantasy 5
Final Fantasy 6
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
F-Zero
Genghis Khan Ii
Gradius Iii
Harvest Moon
Illusion of Gaia
Joe & Mac
Krusty's Super Fun House
Legend of Zelda: Link to the past
Lemmings
Lemmings 2
Lufia
Lufia 2
Megaman X
Megaman X2
Megaman X3
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat 2
Mortal Kombat 3
Nobunaga's Ambition
Ogre Battle
Romance of Three Kingdoms II
Romance of Three Kingdoms III
Romance of Three Kingdoms IV
R-Type III
Secret of Evermore
Secret of Mana
Sim Ant
Sim City
Sim Earth
Spiderman Maximum Carnage
Starfox
Star Trek - The Next Generation
Street Fighter 2
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Super Bomberman
Super Caesars Palace
Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts
Super Mario All-stars & World
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario Rpg
Super Mario World 2 - Yoshis island
Super R-Type
Super Smash TV
Super Starwars
Super The Empire Strikes back
Super Return of the Jedi
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: In Time
Tetris & Dr. Mario
Yoshis Cookie
Zombies ate my Neighbours

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 30, 2018

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
F-zero is more of a mode 7 tech demo than an actual game

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ditty bout my clitty posted:

no, Pilot Wings is not on the list

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ditty bout my clitty posted:

The bad parts are that it has no multiplayer and the opponents rubberband too much but it's a really smooth game that rewards skill. I also liked the backgrounds to the tracks.

YagotmeIdidit
Jan 10, 2018

Rutibex posted:

the SNES is the king of console, i will not sit here and listen to its honor besmirched. the following 63 SNES games are still good today. fight me, find 48 games on this list that suck i dare you :colbert:

Suck my dick, Mega Drive 4 lyfe.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rutibex posted:

Actraiser
Breath of Fire
Breath of Fire 2
Super Castlevania
Chrono Trigger
Contra III
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Final Fantasy 4
Final Fantasy 5
Final Fantasy 6
F-Zero
Genghis Khan Ii
Gradius Iii
Harvest Moon
Illusion of Gaia
Joe & Mac
Krusty's Super Fun House
Legend of Zelda: Link to the past
Lemmings
Lemmings 2
Lufia
Lufia 2
Megaman X
Megaman X2
Megaman X3
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat 2
Mortal Kombat 3
Nobunaga's Ambition
Ogre Battle
Romance of Three Kingdoms II
Romance of Three Kingdoms III
Romance of Three Kingdoms IV
R-Type III
Secret of Evermore
Secret of Mana
Sim Ant
Sim City
Sim Earth
Starfox
Star Trek - The Next Generation
Street Fighter 2
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Super Bomberman
Super Caesars Palace
Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts
Super Mario All-stars & World
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario Rpg
Super Mario World 2 - Yoshis island
Super R-Type
Super Smash TV
Super Starwars
Super The Empire Strikes back
Super Return of the Jedi
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: In Time
Tetris & Dr. Mario
Yoshis Cookie
Zombies ate my Neighbours

why did you post a list with so many bad games

oh because this is the unpopular games thread, got it I understand now

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Rutibex posted:

Oof, swing and a miss.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I used to like the Star Trek: Starfleet Academy SNES game. Mostly the music come to mind. Funny thing is I knew jack all about Star Trek.

It mostly stands out as being besides Star Fox one of the few 3D SNES games. (at least in the gameplay proper)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I used to like the Star Trek: Starfleet Academy SNES game. Mostly the music come to mind. Funny thing is I knew jack all about Star Trek.

It mostly stands out as being besides Star Fox one of the few 3D SNES games. (at least in the gameplay proper)

i really liked this game but i didn't put it on my list because people would make fun of me. thanks for having the courage to say what i couldnt

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Oof, swing and a miss.

Mystic Quest was my first and last JRPG for a rather long time. It sucked so bad I didn't give the genre another go until FFVII. That one was ok.

My bad opinion is that after they fixed the mess that was Wasteland 2 with the free Director's Cut update it's become a great game, almost on par with Fallout 1 and 2.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rutibex posted:

i really liked this game but i didn't put it on my list because people would make fun of me. thanks for having the courage to say what i couldnt

I don't think it's that MUCH of a game, but it has a lot to play with, between the main story, simulations playing out the plots of various movies, the 2-player where you can play anything from Federation to Klingon to Tholian ships, and open-ended story mode missions in adventure game style.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

There's 3 games for Genesis that are loving awesome I never hear anyone mention.

Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse

Fun platformer, amazing music, excellent and imaginative level design. Seriously this would be a great game to play with young kids

Quackshot starring Donald Duck

More strategy, open ended so you can play the levels in what order you want then figure out how to proceed. Great cast of Disney characters, challenging but fun.

Decap Attack starring Chuck D Head

The weirdest of the 3, but extremely innovative and fun with great powerups to collect and unique gameplay. It has a load of charm.

Lunchabully
Jul 20, 2003
Pillbug

Rutibex posted:

Joe & Mac
Krusty's Super Fun House

this is a weird list but these really stand out. I like to call this category of games "poo poo I had to play because Mom wouldn't let me go to the Blockbuster until after dinner and this is what was left"

also lmao at implying you'd choose to play Lemmings with console controls instead of any of the dozen ports that let you use a mouse

I can't speak to all the military strategy poo poo because that was too nerdy even for me. except Ogre Battle, that game was dope

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Most of those SNES games have been superceded on 32bit + consoles and aren't worth playing anymore.

DKC looks like garbage - a 16 bit console doing bad 90s CGI with grainy low-res sprites.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

A lot of weird choices on that list but I haven't played many of them.

For sure, the original Lufia has no business being on a best-of. It was a generic chore when I played it about a decade ago and I can't imagine that anything's changed since. Its sequel is awfully good though.

How many consoles from any generation have more than 15-20 really timeless games to play?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Fourth Wall posted:

A lot of weird choices on that list but I haven't played many of them.

For sure, the original Lufia has no business being on a best-of. It was a generic chore when I played it about a decade ago and I can't imagine that anything's changed since. Its sequel is awfully good though.

How many consoles from any generation have more than 15-20 really timeless games to play?

Obligatory PC gaming as cheating.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Yeah, that's why I said consoles.

Although if you held PC gaming to one era, like Win 9x, would there be more than 15-20?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Dungeon Keeper is the best PC game of the 90's. It's so much fun and so well presented.

e: wait no, it's Rollercoaster Tycoon. That's the best one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

Dungeon Keeper is the best PC game of the 90's. It's so much fun and so well presented.

Theme Hospital is better