Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
It's that time again, friends!

Let's make some Toxx bets for the 2018 postseason. For the third year in a row my beloved Cardinals are not playing in October. Please, hold your applause. That means that yet again I have no direct horse in the postseason race and am an impartial-ish organizer for the forums' annual MLB Postseason Toxx thread. As a reminder, this was last year's thread.

Why do this again?

First and foremost, it's a fun way to keep people involved in the postseason. Personally, my favorite part of these threads is the charitable giving. SAS has a lot of good MLB posters and I think using a loosely-organized sports betting thread as a way to raise money for good causes is a great expression of the community here. Last time around we helped raise thousands of dollars for various charities, most notably for Puerto Rico relief; it made me really proud of the posters here.

That being said, this thread is not only for charity Toxx pledges. Make title change or platinum/archive upgrade bets. Help keep the lights on around here and fuel Lowtax's broken spine. I think last year's postseason didn't bring us too many embarrassing title changes, hopefully we can fix that this year. The breakout star of last year's Toxx thread was, of course, Intruder's terrible food bet. For those who don't remember, this was the main attraction:

Just look at it.

I think Intruder already has another regrettable Toxx lined up for if the Astros repeat but I'll let him post that himself. Beyond that, let's get some crazy-rear end bets going. Charity's wonderful but throwing some comedy into the mix makes this thread a lot more fun.

Non-Charity Toxxes

This space reserved for tracking any non-charity Toxxes. This includes all titles, forums upgrades, food bets, etc.

iospace: Will buy the shirsey of the player who scores the last winning run of the last series that the Brewers win in the postseason.
* If Braun or Hader for then the player who recorded the winning RBI instead. If still Braun or Hader then Yelich.

Intruder:

:stonk:

Edward Mass: If the Astros win the World Series they will watch Intruder eat the above horror and then re-open the Astros Lounge.

Charity Section

This is, as stated, my favorite part of the thread. Major League Baseball has a rich history of giving back to the community (when it's not taking away by demanding public funding for stadiums) and I'm proud of SAS stepping up in kind. Before I get into the bets, a quick moment to recognize one of the greatest ever:

Recurring Charity Toxxes

This space is reserved for tracking ongoing charitable pledges. Examples: Pledge $10 to a specific charity for each hit by an individual player. Pledge $50 for each game your team wins. I'll try to update this section after every day's results.

Artix: $5 to RAINN for every game won by the Wild Card team in either league.
- $5 total for the Yankees' one win in the ALDS.
Artix: $10 to RAINN for every series won by the Wild Card team in either league.
- $0 total.
Kevlar 2.0: $1 to the Center on Halsted for every Daniel Murphy single, BB, HBP, RBI & run.
Kevlar 2.0: $2 to the Center on Halsted for every Daniel Murphy double and stolen base.
Kevlar 2.0: $3 to the Center on Halsted for every Daniel Murphy triple.
Kevlar 2.0: $4 to the Center on Halsted for every Daniel Murphy home run.
- The above collected Kevlar 2.0 pledges have a minimum total of $50.
- Total of $50 based on the minimum total. Daniel Murphy had one walk and went 0-4 before the Cubs were eliminated.
iospace: $25 to RAINN for every series won by the Brewers.
- $25 total for the NLDS win over the Rockies.
Wuet88: $5 to RAINN for every Dodgers postseason home run.
- $95 total through the World Series.
Edward Mass: $1 to RAINN for every out recorded by Roberto Osuna.
- $18 total through the ALCS.
Lumpy: $20 to RAINN for every Yankees postseason win.
- $40 total through the ALDS.
Lumpy: $5 to RAINN for every Yankees home run.
- $30 total through the ALDS.
Lumpy $5 to RAIN for every hit against Roberto Osuna.
- $25 total through the ALCS.
Pancakes: $50 to Stephen Piscotty's ALS research fundraiser for every Oakland game win.
- The above pledge has a $50 minimum.
- $50 total through the AL Wild Card game based on the minimum requirement.
Pancakes: $25 to the National Eating Disorders Association for every DH home run.
- $125 through the World Series.
Pancakes: $1 to the Center on Halsted for every total base by Daniel Murphy.
- $1 total, I'm rounding this up to $25 because a $1 donation is just sad.
Sydin: $25 to RAINN for every Cubs postseason victory.
- $0 total through the NL Wild Card game.
Sydin: $1 to the Center on Halsted for every total base by Daniel Murphy.
- $1 total through the NL Wild Card game.
Sydin: $1 to RAINN for every out recorded by Roberto Osuna.
- $18 total through the ALCS.
Sydin: $1 to RAINN for every out recorded by Aroldis Chapman.
- $9 total through the ALDS.
Sydin: $10 to Stephen Piscotty's ALS research fundraiser for every Oakland game win.
- $0 through the AL Wild Card game.
zapplez: $1 to a Candian anti-domestic violence charity for each home run from a former Blue Jay.
- $4 total through the World Series thanks to Steve Pearce.
zapplez: $1 to a Candian anti-domestic violence charity for each pitcher win or save from a former Blue Jay.
- $5 total through the World Series thanks primarily to David Price (curse lifted!)
bawfuls: $2 to Kershaw's Challenge for each Clayton Kershaw strikeout.
- $26 total through the World Series.
bawfuls: $20 to Kershaw's Challenge for each Clayton Kershaw win.
- $40 total through the World Series.
Big Mean Jerk: $2 to RAINN for each strikeout by Roberto Osuna.
- $10 total through the ALCS.
Big Mean Jerk: $2 to RAINN for each home run by a Houston Astro.
- $28 total through the ALCS.
Big Mean Jerk: $2 to the Alzheimer's Foundation of America for each Cleveland home run.
- $4 total through the ALDS.
Big Mean Jerk: $1 to the Alzheimer's Foundation of America for each Francisco Lindor extra base hit.
- $2 total through the ALDS.
Big Mean Jerk: $1 to the Alzheimer's Foundation of America for each Jose Ramirez extra base hit.
- $0 total through the ALDS.
KYOON GRIFFEY JR: $1 to RAINN for every inning thrown by a starting pitcher throughout the playoffs.
- $309 total through the World Series. :vince:

One-Shot Toxxes

This space is reserved for one-shot Toxx pledges, along with their results. Any and all attempts at influencing individual moments or games with some sort of good karma go here. $50 if a player comes up with a specific clutch RBI, $100 if your team pulls off a come-from-behind win, etc. These are usually made in the thick of GDT's and I'll try to comb through them to copy and paste here but if you want to help me out by cross-posting, please do. Any Toxxes that don't result in anything I'll post but strike out. Any Toxxes that resolve successfully I'll italicize.

Mustached Demon: $50 to RAINN if the Cubs win the NL Central.
Mustached Demon: $50 to RAINN if the Cubs beat the Rockies.
SourKraut: $50 to RAINN if the Cubs win the NL Central.
SourKraut: $50 to RAINN if the Cubs beat the Rockies.
Artix: $20 to RAINN if a Wild Card team wins the World Series.
Kevlar 2.0: $100 to the Center on Halsted if the Cub win the World Series.
iospace: $25 to RAINN if the Brewers win the NL Central.
iospace: $25 to the National Eating Disorders Association if the Astros win the World Series.
the popes toes: $100 to their local library if the A's beat the Yankees in the AL Wild Card game.
the popes toes: $100 to their local library if the A's beat the Red Sox in the ALDS.
Edward Mass: $120 to RAINN if any member of the Houston Astros hits 8 home runs this postseason.
Sydin: $50 to RAINN if the Cubs win the NL Central.
Sydin: $200 to RAINN if the Cubs win the World Series.
Sydin: $50 to RAINN if the Cubs are swept with no postseason victories.
Sydin: $50 to RAINN if the Yankees lose the Wild Card game.
Miz Kriss: $5 to the charity of choice of a poster who supports the team who eliminates the Cubs.
Big Mean Jerk: $50 to RAINN if the Astros win the World Series and Intruder eats at least half of his horrible Toxx in one sitting.
rickiep00h: $10 to RAINN if the Rockies win the NL Wild Card game.
rickiep00h: $50 to RAINN if Drew Butera got a World Series ring.
Slumprince: $100 to the Trevor Project if the A's make the World Series.
Slumprince: $100 to the Trevor Project if the Rockies make the World Series.
Slumprince: $300 to the Trevor Project if both the A's and the Rockies make the World Series.
Slumprince: $50 to the Trevor Project if the Astros make the World Series.
Slumprince: $50 to the Trevor Project if the Braves make the World Series.
Slumprince: $25 to the Trevor Project if the Indians make the World Series.
Slumprince: $25 to the Trevor Project if the Brewers make the World Series.
Slumprince: $25 to the Trevor Project if the Dodgers make the World Series.
Slumprince: $50 to the Trevor Project if the Yankees lose the AL Wild Card Game.
Slumprince: $100 to the Trevor Project if the Cubs lose the NL Wild Card Game.
bawfuls: $100 to RAINN if the Dodgers sweep the Brewers in LA in the NLCS.

Competition!

We're all at least partially here for the tribalism, aren't we? Which fanbase will drum up the most money, both in general and more specifically for the Cause of the Year? Last year's was Puerto Rico relief and Cubs fans lapped the rest of the field, though to be fair there were a lot more of them posting. Cardinals fans (okay, just me) came in a respectable second. This year's target charity is RAINN. Domestic violence is a serious problem that MLB is still, in my opinion, completely failing to address in an appropriate way. There are several high-profile players, including on postseason-bound teams, who have either been accused of or outright admitted to hurting those closest to them. In response, I'm asking that anyone looking for a specific charity to donate to consider RAINN.

:siren:I will match the first $250 donated in-thread to RAINN:siren: Give money to a good cause and take some money out of a Cardinals fan's pocket, people.

This space reserved for ongoing totals, sorted by poster name with relevant fanbase in parentheses:

Welcome back to the postseason everyone. Let's have some fun and raise some money for charity.

Pancakes fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Mustached Demon posted:

So $50 to RAINN if the Cubs win the NL Central? Game on me too.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

SourKraut posted:

I’ll get it started and say gently caress it: $50 to RAINN if the Cubs win tomorrow and/or the 1-game winoff for the NL Central

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Is it time for the playoffs already? Man, it feels like the year just started. I'm re-upping my bet from last year, with the aim of maximum chaos ball - $5 for every game won by the Wild Card team in either league, an additional $10 for each series they win, and another $20 if a WC team wins the World Series.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I'm gonna go fantasy baseball style for this one.

First off, I will donate $100 to the Chicago LGBT Center on Halsted if the Cubs win the 2018 World Series.

In addition, I will donate to the Chicago LGBT Center on Halsted for everything good Daniel Murphy does during the entire Cubs' run in the 2018 postseason, with the MINIMUM amount being $50. Here is how I will break it down:

• $1 for every Single, BB, HBP, RBI, and Run
  • $2 for every Double and Stolen Base
  • $3 for every Triple
  • $4 for every Home Run

Again, if the Cubs get knocked out early and/or Murphy doesn't reach $50 worth of postseason dollars, then I'll donate $50.

Go Cubs! gently caress Daniel Murphy!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

For each series won by the Brewers, including the WC game if they are in it, I will donate 25 dollars to RAINN.

If the Brewers win the division, I will also donate 25 dollars to RAINN in place of the WC game.

Also, I will buy the shirtsey of the player who scores the winning run of the last series the Brewers win in the playoffs*. If the Brewers don't make it past the WC, it will be the "Defend MKE" shirt. UPDATE: If the Brewers win the NLCS or WS, I will buy the MVP's shirtsey, same restrictions apply.

*Not Braun (have one buried somewhere deep) or Hader (unlikely but still putting this out there). If it is one of those two, it will be the player who recorded the winning RBI. If that happens to be the same person, then it's Yelich :colbert:

E: this will also include a 25 dollar "made the playoffs" donation, so the total is currently 25 50 dollars to RAINN.

E2: if the Astros win the World Series, I will donate 25 dollars to the National Eating Disorders Association.

Current
Totals: 75 dollars to RAINN (Playoffs, Division, NLDS)
Shirtsey: Yelich

iospace fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 8, 2018

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

100 bucks to my local library if the A's beat NYY.
100 bucks to my local library if the A's go on to beat Boston.

If none of the above happens, 100 bucks to my local library just because.

Alst
Aug 9, 2007
s
$5 dollars to RAINN for every dodgers postseason home run

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Pancakes posted:

I think Intruder already has another regrettable Toxx lined up for if the Astros repeat but I'll let him post that himself.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I donated $0 last year despite several Toxxes. That was sad.

:toxx: $1 to RAINN per out recorded by Roberto Osuna :toxx:
:toxx: If any member of the Houston Astros hits 8 home runs this postseason (which almost happened with Altuve last year!), I will donate $120 (Carlos Beltran's #15 x 8) to RAINN :toxx:
:toxx: If the Houston Astros win the World Series, I will watch Intruder eat that monstrosity and then re-open the Astro Lounge :toxx:

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

:trumppop:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

This could go from “bad” to “unimaginably horrific” depending what flavor jello that is.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Julio Cruz posted:

This could go from “bad” to “unimaginably horrific” depending what flavor jello that is.

I think lemon or lime would be the only palatable options.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Just plain-rear end gelatin only made with hot dog water, of course.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
$20 to RAINN for every Yankees post season win, with an additional $5 for every Yankees HR.

$5 for every post season hit or walk against Roberto Osuna, because gently caress that guy.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

rickiep00h posted:

Just plain-rear end gelatin only made with hot dog water, of course.

I just threw up in my mouth a little thinking about this.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Last time I did this, my bank account was overdrafted. Whoops.

:barf:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
In addition to matching the RAINN donations up to $250, I will donate:

$50 to Stephen Piscotty's ALS research fundraiser for every Oakland game win, with a minimum of $50 if they get bounced by the Yankees (please don't).
$25 to the National Eating Disorders Association for every DH home run throughout the postseason.
$1 to the Center on Halsted for every total base that Daniel Murphy gets throughout the postseason (I'm copying Kevlar here, good idea friend).

As a note to any Chicago posters, I have some Imo's still in my freezer. If you want to make a food-based Toxx but are lacking something sufficiently disgusting I can supply an Imo's oven-ready pizza or two.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Okay here we :toxx:

Cubs:
$50 to RAINN if the Cubs win the division, either outright or in a tie breaker, and don't have to play the WC.
$25 to RAINN for every Cubs postseason victory, plus an additional $200 if they win the WS. That's a potential $525 combined with the last toxx if the Cubs win the division, $500 if the Cubs have to play a WC game.
$50 to RAINN if the Cubs are swept with no postseason victories.
$1 to the Center on Halsted for every total base that Daniel Murphy gets throughout the postseason (I will copy Pancakes, who is copying Kevlar :v:)

Not Cubs:
$1 to RAINN for every out recorded by Osuna.
$1 to RAINN for every out recorded by Chapman
$50 to RAINN if the Yankees lose the WC (:pray:)
$10 to Stephen Piscotty's ALS research fundraiser for every Athletics postseason victory (I will copy Pancakes, but more cheaply.)

Please destroy my wallet, MLB.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
$1 per HR from an ex blue jay.
$1 for a win or save from an ex blue jay

Will have to a bit of research to find a good anti-DV womens charity up here in Canada similiar to RAINN

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

$2 per Kershaw strikeout
$20 per ~Kershaw Postseason Win~

To his charity, Kershaw’s Challenge

If the Dodgers get bounced early I’ll jump on some RAINN toxxes for whichever abusive assholes are still playing.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Lol I’m really tempted to send some pumpkin bread to whichever goon normally posts for the team who bounces the Cubs (so most likely iospace).

However, since I’m boring, I’ll just throw $5 to the :sparkles: goon’s choice charity :sparkles:

Miz Kriss fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 30, 2018

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
$2 for every Osuna postseason K to RAINN
$2 for every Astros postseason dinger to RAINN
$2 for every Indians postseason dinger to Alzheimer's Foundation of America
$1 for every Frankie Lindor and Jose Ramirez postseason XBH to Alzheimer's Foundation of America

And if the astros win the WS again and Intruder eats at least half of this monstrosity in one sitting, I'll donate another $50 to RAINN.

:toxx:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Right, if the Astros win the World Series, I will donate 25 dollars in honor of Intruder to a food bank or hunger related charity (for example, Pancake's eating disorder one) of the choice of the first goon to quote this.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

iospace posted:

Right, if the Astros win the World Series, I will donate 25 dollars in honor of Intruder to a food bank or hunger related charity (for example, Pancake's eating disorder one) of the choice of the first goon to quote this.

I choose Pancakes' eating disorder one

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I choose Pancakes' eating disorder one

Sounds good, my original post updated.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Updated the OP through 8:15 PM tonight

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pancakes posted:

Updated the OP through 8:15 PM tonight

Let it ride baby! $50 to RAINN if the Cubs beat the Rockies.

If that fails I'm still donating $50 to RAINN because gently caress Kavanaugh that's why.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

Let it ride baby! $50 to RAINN if the Cubs beat the Rockies.

If that fails I'm still donating $50 to RAINN because gently caress Kavanaugh that's why.

:same:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

First donation from me will come down on Friday! Want to make sure I have a little more money in the bank so I don't cut it close.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

$10 to RAINN if the Rockies win tomorrow (WC), and $50 if Actual Baseball Player Drew Butera gets another World Series ring.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'll donate a buck to RAINN for every inning thrown by a starting pitcher throughout the playoffs. I believe in traditional pitcher usage, goddamn it!

SlumPrincess
Jan 1, 2006

Soon....soon I'm gonna make you a star

I'll donate $100 to the Trevor Project if either the A's or Rockies make the World Series, $300 if both make it. If Astros or Braves make WS $50 apiece, and $25 if the Indians, Brewers, or Dodgers make it. I'll also do $50 if the Yankees lose the WCG, and $100 if the Cubs lose. All on behalf of Daniel Murphy.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Results from the regular season toxxes:

Pancakes: Pujols beat Ohtani 114-93 in hits and 64-61 in RBI but Ohtani beat Pujols in HR 22-19.

My avatar bet with Popete: by bWAR this was very close, Schwarber's 1.5 WAR being lower than 4 Mets (Nimmo, Conforto, McNeil and Frazier) but higher than the 1.4 from both Cabrera and Bautista. By fWAR it wasn't, with their insistence on Schwarber being an above-average fielder giving him 3.2 WAR, higher than every Met but Nimmo.

Senf: Khris Davis (48) and Matt Olson (29) combined for 77 HR.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

rickiep00h posted:

$10 to RAINN if the Rockies win tomorrow (WC), and $50 if Actual Baseball Player Drew Butera gets another World Series ring.

One bet I'm happy to lose.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'm gonna go fantasy baseball style for this one.

First off, I will donate $100 to the Chicago LGBT Center on Halsted if the Cubs win the 2018 World Series.

In addition, I will donate to the Chicago LGBT Center on Halsted for everything good Daniel Murphy does during the entire Cubs' run in the 2018 postseason, with the MINIMUM amount being $50. Here is how I will break it down:

• $1 for every Single, BB, HBP, RBI, and Run
  • $2 for every Double and Stolen Base
  • $3 for every Triple
  • $4 for every Home Run

Again, if the Cubs get knocked out early and/or Murphy doesn't reach $50 worth of postseason dollars, then I'll donate $50.

Go Cubs! gently caress Daniel Murphy!

Welp this ended earlier than I would have liked, but here you go.

Daniel Murphy's final postseason line: 0-4, BB

The receipt does not include the tribute message I sent, but the email confirmation I received does. It was "Daniel Murphy is a giant homophobe and I hate that he's on the Cubs. Here is a donation in honor of me hating him."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'll donate a buck to RAINN for every inning thrown by a starting pitcher throughout the playoffs. I believe in traditional pitcher usage, goddamn it!

I'll keep a running total:
code:
         H    A
NLWC    6.0  6.2
ALWC    4.0  1.0
NLDSA1  3.0  5.0
NLDSB1  7.0  2.0
Total $34.67 so far

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 5, 2018

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Yeah, question about $X for Y number of events toxxes: I'd rather tally up and donate at the end (when the Yankees win the WS) to avoid many Capital One "we've noticed unusual activity!" alerts, but if that violates the rules / spirit of the thing, I will happily make many smaller ones.

Also, I would like to update my thing in the almost impossible event that the Yankees lose tonight :ohdear: : If the Yankees lose the WC game, I will switch my $20 per Yankee win to $20 per Red Sox loss, and my donation based on Yankees HRs to HRs hit against the SAWKS.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

I sent a PM to will_colorado about what charity they want me to donate to, but I haven’t gotten a reply, however, I’m not even sure they even have PMs in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Miz Kriss posted:

I sent a PM to will_colorado about what charity they want me to donate to, but I haven’t gotten a reply, however, I’m not even sure they even have PMs in the first place.

If they have the 'Message' button under their posts, they have PMs. People without plat don't have the button at all - so you're good.

• Locked thread