Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Adiabatic posted:

I am sitting in my car after chest-tricep day and I am the most wonderful kind of spent right now. I didnt want to go but I chugged preworkout and gave every last bit I had and boy do I feel good about it.

Those are the best workouts.

jamal posted:

I'm just sitting here eating candy. Wed night race went kind of meh and I felt pretty bad yesterday so I'm just going to get in some rest. Probably no sprint workout tomorrow either.

That was me yesterday. I had my first migraine and it sucked. Get out and sprint tomorrow, you'll feel better. Or not, but you'll at least have done something / have one less thing to feel crappy about.

Wrar posted:

Top and I volunteered at a food bank and helped unload a 40' of non palletized water and then moved potatoes in boxes with pallet jacks. It was good. I wish I could stop coughing.

Also a fun workout. Love days like that, too. Reminds me of that whole happy yeoman myth in American history. (Then again, feeling good after a hard day's work is a real feeling and not so much a myth, so...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST

SlimManFat posted:

I'm down to 241lbs at 6'0" from 305lbs at the beginning of this year.
236lbs now bois, this close to 70lbs lost so far this year. :feelsgood:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

SlimManFat posted:

236lbs now bois, this close to 70lbs lost so far this year. :feelsgood:

My friend, you're burying the lede: you're currently at 69

8am edit: I couldn't sleep so I thought I'd take a walk to burn off energy, goal was 3 miles out and back to the drug store. Ended up turning back at 1.5, currently on my way back and, like, microsleeping as I walk. The morning humidity sapped my energy way faster than I expected, and these new shoes are running the gently caress out of my heels. Main goal achieved though, I'm collapsing as soon as I get back.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Sep 29, 2018

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Decent back day yesterday, good chest day today. Biceps sucked yesterday, as always, and triceps today we're alright but nothing mind blowing. I have off tomorrow night, so I'll definitely get in for a leg day.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
More intervals today. Meh.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Back / biceps today.

COME WITH ME IF YOU WANT TO LIFT!

e: also started Sober October a few days early. Will hopefully help some with gut fat for Colombia.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 1, 2018

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Babby signed up for his first 5k next week.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

New month new goal.

4/100mi

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Ugh, leg day went poorly. Did my first low-back squats in a long time just to change things up, and could only do 275 for singles. Did five sets of leg press and started not to feel great. Did five sets of leg curls and felt worse. Did one set of leg extensions and almost barfed, so I aborted the workout and went home. Forty minutes of intense gas pain later I am feeling better, but that's a poo poo day.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
October goal - do something recordable every day.

2/2 on Strava so far. No specific distance or type targets, it's just about making sure I do something every day.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Battle ropes mfers. That poo poo is tough; did three 1 minute intervals for some upper body cardio. Also did some body rows and stationary bike interval training.

Get some cardio. Is good for you.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Made some small but steady progress. Another week or two and I should be under 300 for the first time in an unknown but certainly far too long time.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

My trainer says my posture has improved a poo poo ton. So I've got that going for me.

Also, day two of ketober. I hate keto poops. The girlfriend appreciates the reduction of gas output.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Dusted off the dumbbells to do a mini shoulder workout this morning. Just presses, lateral raises, and 45-degree lateral raises (supported by an incline bench). It was only 11 sets total, but it felt good to get it in. Maybe I'll be less lazy in the mornings after work in the future.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Went ahead and bought the new Renaissance Periodization templates, got the six day full body one (full body meaning no emphasis on a particular body part, not every workout is a full body workout). They're very similar to the previous ones, the main differences are they've gone from four to six weeks before you have a deload week, you start off with fewer sets per exercise (two or three for the first week, rather than three), and the weight progression is supposed to be slower than before. You also do two hypertrophy cycles before doing a metabolic cycle, but I think most people using the templates were already doing that anyway. Probably not worth buying if you already have the old version, but I figured why not since I knew I'd buy them at some point, and I wanted to see what was different. I'm always hesitant to lift lighter weights to get more volume in, but I was comparing old DXA scans and workout logs and noticed that in late 2016 I was doing significantly more weight on rows and lat pulldowns, but I'm currently up 7lbs of muscle in the trunk area of my body (chest and back), so I guess there's something to intelligent programming.

I scheduled another DXA scan for five weeks from now, so my goal is 10lbs of weight loss by then. As boring as cardio can be at the gym, I'm trying to add more in because I have a shitload of beer and/or food events in October.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm supposed to start training at the gym with my friend the actual personal trainer on monday but I dont think my sleep schedule is going to allow it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

MomJeans420 posted:

Went ahead and bought the new Renaissance Periodization templates...

Thanks for the review. I have the 3 and 5 day old templates, may grab the 4 day and see how it works for me. I can always get four days but some weeks five is really tough

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I'm supposed to start training at the gym with my friend the actual personal trainer on monday but I dont think my sleep schedule is going to allow it.

This is murdering me right now. I want to train in the mornings, but work keeps scheduling me meetings in the middle of the afternoon when I work grave.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Tonight's group workout was water aerobics. Would have been nice if my legs would have stopped cramping, but whatever. Still had an enjoyable workout, followed by some Caribbean food afterwards.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

5am legday, I feel, is the only way to legday. Just get it the gently caress over with.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
So far been going to the gym 5-7 days a week for the past month and stopped eating trash, mostly eliminated carbs and sugar except for fruit. down to about 170lbs now and feeling stronger. My miata should a few tenths off of my 0-60 time i think.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Adiabatic posted:

5am legday, I feel, is the only way to legday. Just get it the gently caress over with.

Savor the leg day.

Today was chest/back/shoulders.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Still can't get motivated to return to the gym. By that I mean "sit on an exercise bike for 30-60 minutes." Clavicle is still healing and I can't lift anything with that arm, so most weights are out. :geno:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Have you tried intervals? What kinds of bikes are there?
Where I go there are these Sprint 8 bikes that have a cool interval setting where you ride at a brisk pace, then go as hard as you can for 30 seconds to a minute then back to a brisk pace. They also have expresso HD bikes that are like playing a video game. Both of those make cardio more interesting, at least to me.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

QuarkMartial posted:

Have you tried intervals? What kinds of bikes are there?
Where I go there are these Sprint 8 bikes that have a cool interval setting where you ride at a brisk pace, then go as hard as you can for 30 seconds to a minute then back to a brisk pace. They also have expresso HD bikes that are like playing a video game. Both of those make cardio more interesting, at least to me.

None that are cool. Ones that are more recumbent bike like, and then upright ones with giant rear end uncomfortable seats. I used to do HIIT on them, at least that makes it a bit more interesting even though it is exhausting. I just look at cardio as the least fun thing at the gym and boring, since I'd rather do any form of it outside. But I just can't yet, unfortunately.

I need to just sack up and do it just for my health if nothing else, even though it sucks.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I gotcha. Cardio is boring as hell, I feel you in that. Being limited to leg stuff makes it worse. Once you heal, there's other stuff to do like battle ropes and such that are more fun forms of cardio.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I like the stair climbers, it's the only cardio where I can focus on my hamstrings

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Hit 165x8 165x8 185x6 on bench today. Working my way up to an actual set of 2 plates!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
After two and a half decades of lifting weights you'd think I'd commit to the fact that cramming two workouts into one day just means you complete zero good workouts, but here we are. Back/legs/biceps yesterday (weighted pullups with a 45 for three sets of six and then three bodyweight sets, then four exercises apiece for legs and back, each with three sets of ten to twelve, then three biceps variations with three sets apiece). Chest/shoulders/triceps today (similar, though for chest I did 135 x 10, 225 x 5, 275 x 1, 295 x 1, then 225/205/185/165/155/135 to failure taking only enough time off between sets to change plates).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

^Heh, never really tried 2x workouts but always is crazy to me when I see hollywood dudes say they work out for like 4 hours 2x a day and such.

Finally got motivated enough for my first semi workout in 6 weeks yesterday. :feelsgood: Limited to sit ups, back extensions, body weight squats, calf exercises and some elliptical work. Elliptical was a workout for my shoulder (broken clavicle) and my calves are sore today. Hope to try and go a couple more times this week and see if I can figure out more stuff I can do without lifting a weight or putting weight on my arms/shoulders. It's pretty limited so far, though.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Suburban Dad posted:

^Heh, never really tried 2x workouts but always is crazy to me when I see hollywood dudes say they work out for like 4 hours 2x a day and such.

Pretty sure you need drugs to be able to do that.

If I don't schedule my week fairly carefully and make sure to take rest/easy days I can't really effectively do workouts. No point in trying to do hill repeats or whatever when I'm tired and slow. And I could still probably be doing more but sometimes I'd rather just go ride for fun. Like yesterday I maybe could have been out doing intervals but just went and rode for a couple hours instead.

Cross race last week was fun. They put in a jump

You could go around it if you wanted, or just over those logs. I hear one guy did crash and break a collarbone. Racing there again this week.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Suburban Dad posted:

They were maybe ninety-minute workouts. Ninety seconds to two minutes in between heavy sets (the 225/275/295 bench sets and the weighted pullups), sixty seconds between the other sets, though I generally cheat a little and start counting after I've swapped the plates. I don't eat or sleep well enough to do two full workouts a day. Hell, I don't eat or sleep well enough to take full advantage of the workouts I do drag my rear end to!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Weight bounced back up a bit and I was starting to worry, but today weighed in back down at 325.8 so I guess things are still happening. 15 lbs lost so far!

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Deadlift daaaay

Pulled 370 3x with no straps. Feels good.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I'm getting poo poo in for miles this month. It's been raining non-stop and cold, so my knees are doing their best bubblewrap impression with the pops and crunches.

Going to start lifting again soon, since it's getting too cold to run in a month or so.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Woa woa woa... this thread is at the bottom and about to go onto the second page! Can't have that!

Did some cardio yesterday, then did more cardio today and chest / back (presses, bench presses, all the upper body poo poo).

Wife busted her ankle and wanted to keep up her momentum in the gym, so we then spent an hour swimming in the pool. Well, she swam for a full hour and didn't stop moving. I swam for thirty minutes total during that hour.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

AAAAaa i did rope today. 60s sets of alternating/paired/jump. I greatly dislike this workout.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Spent a week in south america but IM BACK IN THE SADDLE BABY

Biceps and back today. Broke some weight numbers on most everything. I have to thank Mindless Self-Indulgence and Suicide Silence for getting me through.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Under 300 today :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Good work my dude