Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
They're one of those bands where every record has one or two songs that I really love, but I still can't get too excited about the idea of a new Aquabats album (especially after that last one...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
just make more supershowww

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Have there been many great ska records this year? I know there's a new Bosstones album...

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
New Interrupters album is great except for the song with Rancid singing.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Have there been many great ska records this year? I know there's a new Bosstones album...

lessthankyle posted:

Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra has "Glorious" out on most platforms now. Came out a while back in Japan I guess? But now it's up on Google Play/iTunes.

I didn't really update about it, but I'm digging it a lot. Also, We Are The Union has their new one coming out soon I think.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Mad Caddies has their covers album which was pretty good

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Josh Wow posted:

New Interrupters album is great except for the song with Rancid singing.

That bad huh, I didn't even give a listen to the last Rancid tbh

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

Fateo McMurray posted:

This times 100

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yeah Interrupters' Fight The Good Fight is my pick for best ska record of the year. I love the Bosstones but the new album just isn't sustaining my interest. The Mad Caddies album has some great stuff on it, IMO, but not a start-to-finish winner, and does a cover album even count? They did make a Propagandhi song listenable, which is impressive.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

guppy posted:

I love the Bosstones but the new album just isn't sustaining my interest.

FWIW the Bosstones have always been a hit or miss band when it comes to album releases, and this was definitely the "miss" album after the hit that was The Magic of Youth.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

guppy posted:

They did make a Propagandhi song listenable, which is impressive.

Haven’t seen an opinion this wrong in a while. Propagandhi rips, Mad Caddies haven’t put out an album with more than 4 good songs on it since Keep It Going.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Fateo McMurray posted:

Was it because the only song I heard was the She cover and I thought it was kinda hilarious and not very good v:shobon:v

Geoj posted:

FWIW the Bosstones have always been a hit or miss band when it comes to album releases, and this was definitely the "miss" album after the hit that was The Magic of Youth.

If you're implying either or both Pin Points Gin Joints was a flop / was worse than Magic of Youth we will have words

Josh Wow posted:

Haven’t seen an opinion this wrong in a while. Propagandhi rips, Mad Caddies haven’t put out an album with more than 4 good songs on it since Keep It Going.

Dirty Rice was actually really good wrong guy who is wrong

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 1, 2018

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

guppy posted:

They did make a Propagandhi song listenable, which is impressive.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Wow lotta bad opinions in the last few posts.

The Constant is the best song the Bosstones have had post hiatus. It took seeing it live to realize this though. Post hiatus albums go in this order: While We're At It, Pin Points, Magic of Youth. If you disagree, you're probably as silly as that guy things Propagandhi songs aren't listenable.

Mad Caddies Against Me! cover was also cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j37whxmIfYU

Oh and Throwdown is gonna be announced tomorrow

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

It's really hard for me to say any post hiatus song is better than any of Sister Mary, Waster Summers, I Wrote It, Death Valley Vipers, Pretty Sad Excuse, or They Will Need Music but I haven't heard any of the new album live yet so who knows

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord

Fateo McMurray posted:

Wow lotta bad opinions in the last few posts.

The Constant is the best song the Bosstones have had post hiatus. It took seeing it live to realize this though. Post hiatus albums go in this order: While We're At It, Pin Points, Magic of Youth. If you disagree, you're probably as silly as that guy things Propagandhi songs aren't listenable.

That list is from worst to best, right?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Whoa Sunday matinee??

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

Teemu Pokemon posted:

It's really hard for me to say any post hiatus song is better than any of Sister Mary, Waster Summers, I Wrote It, Death Valley Vipers, Pretty Sad Excuse, or They Will Need Music but I haven't heard any of the new album live yet so who knows

It’s almost like taste in music is subjective. Who’da thunk it?

Anyway, you’re all wrong. Bosstones are shot, the Caddies and the Interrupters are the best albums of last year and Tokyo Skapara are awesome.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Today is the 20th Anniversary of Hello Rockview. To mark the occasion, may I suggest we spend the next two pages arguing if it or Losing Streak are better, only to have everyone be wrong when it's revelaed that the answer is actually Borders and Boundaries

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
For me it's Hello Rockview. I get that the scene tends to like less polished recordings, and there is some really great stuff on Losing Streak and I love it too, but Hello Rockview is great almost from start to finish. I could do without Motto and Richard Allen George... but I like every other track on that album. About half of Losing Streak is great, but I'm not into the other half.

I've had Borders and Boundaries for years, but I don't actually know it that well. I could only identify about 3 songs on it if pushed.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

guppy posted:

For me it's Hello Rockview. I get that the scene tends to like less polished recordings, and there is some really great stuff on Losing Streak and I love it too, but Hello Rockview is great almost from start to finish. I could do without Motto and Richard Allen George... but I like every other track on that album. About half of Losing Streak is great, but I'm not into the other half.

I've had Borders and Boundaries for years, but I don't actually know it that well. I could only identify about 3 songs on it if pushed.

:same: with everything here

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Today is the 20th Anniversary of Hello Rockview. To mark the occasion, may I suggest we spend the next two pages arguing if it or Losing Streak are better, only to have everyone be wrong when it's revelaed that the answer is actually Borders and Boundaries

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Borders and Boundaries is Magnetic North, Look What Happened, and Gainesville Rock City. Those three songs are amazing but the rest is mediocre filler.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

losing streak kicks rear end, but i haven't listened to less than jake in so long if i heard any track from hello rockview right now i'd probably get the same level of nostalgia rush either way

ska seems like it's been in a rough spot the last couple years, huh? would love to hear some new, young bands working with the sound.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Monday_ posted:

Borders and Boundaries is Magnetic North, Look What Happened, and Gainesville Rock City. Those three songs are amazing but the rest is mediocre filler.

Malt Liquor.., 1989, Faction, Last Hour.. , Is This Thing On?, and also Pete Jackson for fun

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Teemu Pokemon posted:

This man speaks true. Every song on that album is unskippable.

Monday_ posted:

I will fight you IRL

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

guppy posted:

Richard Allen George has Cinco de Mustache tho

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Anthem is a better album than Borders but Hello Rockview is the best, the absolute fuckin rush I get when I hear "last one out of liberty city burn it to the ground" and the bass kicks in will never stop

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Did they ever manage to get out of this town

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
All I know about Hello Rockview is it has that Scott Farcus song on it which is also on a split 7" with J Church that I own.

I also for some reason have that LtJ pizza box and have never played the record in it and don't really want the thing.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

The 7th Guest posted:

that's reserved for the last ltj album, when things actually get way too hosed up and they finally leave that town

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

The 7th Guest posted:

No

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Ferrule posted:

I also for some reason have that LtJ pizza box and have never played the record in it and don't really want the thing.

Sell it to me

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Ferrule posted:

All I know about Hello Rockview is it has that Scott Farcus song on it which is also on a split 7" with J Church that I own.

No, sell it to me!

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
I've listened to "Last Hour of the Last Day of Work" every time I've left a job and that whole album kills.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Fateo McMurray posted:

Sell it to me

esperantinc posted:

No, sell it to me!

How much?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Is it just the box and the record, or does it have all the extra stuff that came with it? (magnet, pizza menu lyric sheet, etc)

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Fateo McMurray posted:

Is it just the box and the record, or does it have all the extra stuff that came with it? (magnet, pizza menu lyric sheet, etc)

It's the box, a record, the guest check, the napkin, the menu/lyric sheet, and the magnet. Number 341/1000. "Extra Cheese"

The top of the box is a bit pressed in. None of the perforated tabs are removed or punched through. There is a price tag on the upper corner of $9.98/

If you or anyone is serious I can post photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Ferrule posted:

It's the box, a record, the guest check, the napkin, the menu/lyric sheet, and the magnet. Number 341/1000. "Extra Cheese"

The top of the box is a bit pressed in. None of the perforated tabs are removed or punched through. There is a price tag on the upper corner of $9.98/

If you or anyone is serious I can post photos.

I'd defer to Fateo since he posted first, but yeah I'm interested...I have one, but it's missing the magnet and I wouldn't mind a complete one.