Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

AttackBacon posted:

Like...the main vertical box I can understand, you want it to anti air, ok that's fine. A little ridiculous, but fine, it's anime, whatever. WHAT THE gently caress is that loving extra box on the top doing? Why?! Who is responsible for this?!

That move is literally called Chasing the Unreachable Dream. She catches what cannot be caught.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

she's strong and she tries very hard. You could learn from her

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Go for it, Sacchin!

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

it's because the animation does this big tornado swoosh and it goes a bit out in front of her

That hitbox, while it is EXTREMELY good, makes a lot of sense in context.

Oh, that's kind of a letdown. Who is responsible for these fake news hitbox pictures?!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Hitbox logic is the exact same thing as being a kid and deciding the accuracy of your imaginary super powers.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

i main stardust the super wizard at the playground and everyone dies the instant i get out of my moms car

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Poniard posted:

i main stardust the super wizard at the playground and everyone dies the instant i get out of my moms car

nuh uh you missed

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

Hitbox logic is the exact same thing as being a kid and deciding the accuracy of your imaginary super powers.

started, ended here

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Kilometers Davis posted:

There's always the rear end in a top hat kid who always stepped beyond fighting games and started adopting hitboxes out of Monster Hunter so he could just hit everything at all time

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Victory Position posted:

started, ended here

I'm a gonna gently caress you so bad!

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Real hurthling! posted:

Thats a universal AA

it also low profiles almost every one of my pokes

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
It takes 7f for Slayers 6p to have a hurtbox that low an 18f for it to have an active hitbox. Chipps 6p hurtbox is that low on frame 1 and is active in 9f!!

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

nice

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's hosed up how hard it is to talk to people in modern games. I just played like 20 games against a solid Jin player in T7 and I wanted to say GGs but its impossible to do so. I have no clue who he was or how to contact him. gently caress you bamco! gently caress you microsoft! gently caress you stoners from 2006 who kept telling 12 year olds swear words on Xbox Live!

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Dunno about on the 'bone but on Steam or PS4 there's a Profile button in the post-match menu.

At least once a day a PS4 player messages me to complain about my delightful Hwoaranging about and to make assumptions about my sexuality

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

hwoarang is pretty sexy yeah

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
:smith:
https://gematsu.com/2018/10/arika-discusses-fighting-ex-layer-for-pc-cross-play

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Thats a universal AA

While 6P is every character's anti-air not every 6P shares the same hitbox, and none are as funny as Slayer's. It just turns his entire upper body into a hitbox, where a lot of others just have a relatively normal hitbox but give upper body invulnerability.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
https://clips.twitch.tv/CuteBlushingBadgerLeeroyJenkins

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Yeah that sucks for them, especially because I don't know how many people will buy it on PC if the price is the same as on PS4.

It sounds like they're banking on PC/arcade revenue to fund more content, too... I wonder how it'll do in arcades.

EDIT: Nesica 2's more barren than I thought - Blazblue CF, KOF14, Arcana Blood and friggin' USF4 right now, FEXL and SNK Heroines by the end of the year. It might do okay!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'll be buying a copy Arika, don't worry

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
actually nvm looks like the ps4 version did good enough :unsmith:
https://twitter.com/FightingExLayer/status/1046732506341433344

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I bought it. :smith:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

From forever ago but :laffo: SNK's all female fighting game now has two female versions of male characters in it before Blue Mary.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Skullowomania

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said
I bought Tekken 7 and won 2/3 matches of my first set. and though it's not directly comparable to SF, I think I did more than what the Tekken equivalent of holding downback and flash kicking people who jump at me is. I definitely feel a lot better about this than my capabilities in 2D fighters, I guess it's just a better fit.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Graphic posted:

I bought Tekken 7 and won 2/3 matches of my first set. and though it's not directly comparable to SF, I think I did more than what the Tekken equivalent of holding downback and flash kicking people who jump at me is. I definitely feel a lot better about this than my capabilities in 2D fighters, I guess it's just a better fit.

:hfive: Tekken is p cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I started playing Tekken again because of the SC6 network test. I think the beta backfired for me, now all I wanna do is play more Tekken

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said

teh_Broseph posted:

:hfive: Tekken is p cool

gently caress eddie though

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Tekken rules, best drunk purchase I ever made, everyone should play it.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Dracula Factory posted:

Tekken rules, best drunk purchase I ever made, everyone should play it.

yeah it really is a good buy. I don't even like the game that much and I still don't regret my purchase

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Tekken is dope as hell and I think it's a lot more "intuitive" at low levels of play than most 2D fighters. It certainly clicked for me a lot more back when I first started playing fighting games. 7 is so good and absolutely worth the money. Only thing I don't like about Tekken is how mechanics intensive good movement is. As a pretty casual fighting game player on pad getting good at Korean backdashing is more than I really want to deal with.

On the topic of Namco games, here's a couple of neat moments from the SCVI Network Test I actually remembered to clip on PS4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-iWWLRg9xU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp8lurFfD5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttZ7xZR0XHk

I really had a blast with SCVI, can't wait for it to come out. They did an amazing job of making every character extremely unique.There's an immense amount of depth with systems like Lethal Hits and the various character traits, such as Nightmare's Terror Charge where he gets a single use "EX" move (really just a Soul Charge only extension) after gaining Terror Charge via Soul Charge expiring, certain attack throws, or triggering one of his armor move explosions.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

AttackBacon posted:

Only thing I don't like about Tekken is how mechanics intensive good movement is. As a pretty casual fighting game player on pad getting good at Korean backdashing is more than I really want to deal with.

I wouldn't really consider myself a casual fighting game player, but if I can kbd you can absolutely do it too!

How I learned was just practicing it for a few minutes at a time between working on whatever else in training mode.

I'd practice whatever I was actively practicing, then spend a minute or so just practicing the KBD motion on whichever side of the screen I was on every once and awhile. Eventually it just sort of clicked for me and I could do it on the left side forever. After that I focused on the right side and I can mostly do it there as well, though way more sloppy in my execution.

The trick for me was thinking of drawing a triangle with my movement inputs rather than actively cancelling a backdash fwiw

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I have no doubt I *could* get it down, I just don't really want to put in the time. I have to be pretty selective with my game time nowadays, wife and job and school and all that. Which is fine! SCVI is almost here and that'll be my fighter of choice for the foreseeable future. I think your advice is rock solid for people that do want to work on it though, it's one of those muscle memory things that you really just need to put the time in on.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Neo Rasa posted:

From forever ago but :laffo: SNK's all female fighting game now has two female versions of male characters in it before Blue Mary.

That might have bothered me before I played it but now I don't care that they left a bunch of cool characters out of their lame game.

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said
I started with Paul because they said he's braindead and does lots of damage, he's alright but I click more with Law. and I like bruce lee more than biker guile

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Skullgirls (only real?) defensive option, aka the infinite protection system, is just another way to land resets on people as far as I remember.

Oof, that game gets me heated, even winning doesn't feel good.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I was having some baffling control issues until I realized it was steam causing them. If you're playing any fighting games on steam, go into the settings and disable all the big picture mode controller support. It'll block inputs from your stick and input them as controller button presses if you've got it turned on.

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said

brand engager posted:

I was having some baffling control issues until I realized it was steam causing them. If you're playing any fighting games on steam, go into the settings and disable all the big picture mode controller support. It'll block inputs from your stick and input them as controller button presses if you've got it turned on.

i would like an option to completely delete big picture mode from my steam. i've only ever opened it on accident and every time it happens i get excessively angry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Is there a way to get a ps4 stick working without it? That seemed to be the only way for a lot of games.