Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

imgay posted:

My 2 cents would be at the very least give gaspy a pass for the day, He is responsible for a scum kill anyway you look at it. Cult paranoia is dumb, we can't really do anything but yell at phantoms about who the recruiter is, pure speculation we didnt even know about a cult until a few hours ago.

I'm willing to at least take a step back to think about it.

##unvote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

I just need to survive and have "sold" my inventory.

(If we lunch cube and they're scum/3party you should pay me for the tip off <3)

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

imgay posted:

I don't think gaspy gives a poo poo about the risk.

Why would he care about the risk as town (you said he’s showing restraint) when a backfire isn’t as costly but not as cult, when a backfire is endgaming? This isn’t a gotcha question or anything like that, I might just be missing something.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think its mutually exclusive not to care about risk and not shooting a bunch of people at once. I'm saying that theres a bunch of dudes who dont like gaspy and are voting him like oil and water. And instead of getting phsycial hes doing shouting matches. I could be wrong about him worrying about gun failure, but I believe in my gut if he wants to shoot someone he will just do it.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Hmmmm

:thunk:

Seems moot if you knew they had a chance to fail

But this doesnt mesh with your aforementioned knowledge.

Ah, I forgot you had been voting me.

Who else pushed for me... gx. Who you dismissed as town.

You're not on the town team. Since I'm on the town team voting for you seems like a good thing.

I know that my (Squire) guns have a chance to fail, but (possibly incorrectly?) suspected that scumguns might always either fail/backfire based on the results. I'm still unsure if people are notified of who they got guns from. But that seems irrelevant now. Assuming gaspy had multiple guns then his action didn't need to specify which gun used, so it probably doesn't matter.

Re: Toal questioning why I wouldn't give away my gun last night - didn't have a very good town read, seemed like giving away a questionably-efficient vig to a random player wouldn't be as useful as holding it for a day.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

imgay posted:

I don't think its mutually exclusive not to care about risk and not shooting a bunch of people at once. I'm saying that theres a bunch of dudes who dont like gaspy and are voting him like oil and water. And instead of getting phsycial hes doing shouting matches. I could be wrong about him worrying about gun failure, but I believe in my gut if he wants to shoot someone he will just do it.

It's a moot point anyways because you can only take 1 day action a day, and a person with multiple guns can only take 1 shot a day. (It's written on the gun when you get one).

Gaspy isn't showing trigger discipline, he took a shot out of desperation at a scummy/3rd partyish? person and succeeded. It's fine. I don't think Gaspy is scum at least.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh lol i didnt know that

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

imgay posted:

I agree he would just shoot someone, which is why the gene thing didn’t move me much. It seems he was pressured into it, but that could be my perception of things.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Asphyxious posted:

HAHAHAHA I AM loving INCREDIBLE

Give it up.

##vote Hal Incandenza

Why would you vote me? I have been on a plane since you shot GeneX so it isn’t like I could have even responded to your vig. Kinda rude.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 2

Asphyxious (3): merk, Hal Incandenza, merk, merk, Your Personal Muse, Anomalous Amalgam, Anomalous Amalgam, Asiina, King Burgundy, merk, King Burgundy
Anomalous Amalgam (2): CubicalSucrose, Kitiara
Hal Incandenza (1): Asphyxious
CubicalSucrose (1): Anomalous Amalgam
merk (0): Asphyxious, merk, merk, Asphyxious
Toalpaz (0): Dancer, Dancer

Not Voting (15): A Sometimes Food, CCKeane, chaoslord, Dancer, Eat The Rich, Epsilon Plus, flerp, IllegallySober, imgay, Jeabus Mahogany, KhediveRex, King Burgundy, merk, Slamburger, Toalpaz

With 22 alive, it's 12 votes to lynch. The current deadline is October 01st, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 23 hours, 2 minutes.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Might as well put my vote where my mouth is.

##vote sugarcube

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So the people the guns failed on, do you think any of them had the guns fail due to vig immunity and not gun failure chance?

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

A Sometimes Food posted:

So the people the guns failed on, do you think any of them had the guns fail due to vig immunity and not gun failure chance?

Probably just failure to shoot. I’m guessing it’s a random roll mechanic and folks have been plain ol unlucky.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Hal Incandenza posted:

Why would you vote me? I have been on a plane since you shot GeneX so it isn’t like I could have even responded to your vig. Kinda rude.

Because yours was the most opportunistic vote with the least reason behind it.

And it’s still there, despite your complaint so I’m pretty happy with that.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Your Personal Muse posted:

I agree he would just shoot someone, which is why the gene thing didn’t move me much. It seems he was pressured into it, but that could be my perception of things.

No one was pressuring me to shoot gene, not sure where you got that from.

I felt like I was probably going to be the lynch so I decided I’d see if I could take out someone I was suspicious of on the way out.

If it had been a pressure shot it’d be Merk, if it had been a petty shot it’d be you. But as I said I pride myself on being an analytical player first and a rabid shitposter second.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

CCKeane posted:

Can you elaborate on why this would clear KB?

Because cultist leader is 3P. And, as said, I interpret the OP as saying "3P's don't get class choice".

If I'm right, KB had information about how the squire worked that hadn't been revealed yet. Ergo he is a squire (and not 3P).

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Asphyxious posted:

Because yours was the most opportunistic vote with the least reason behind it.

And it’s still there, despite your complaint so I’m pretty happy with that.

I disagree, I pointed how you were lying about scumhunting and you still haven’t really done any of that. You’ve just attacked people voting you. Yes you shot scum, but that doesn’t guarantee you are town, it doesn’t even guarantee you aren’t scum after you saw 5 vigs fail you might have thought odds were you couldn’t shoot her. I’ll move my vote when I feel like I have a better place to put it, but I’m not going to because of your threats.

Gotta play my game, not yours gaspy

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Hal Incandenza posted:

I disagree, I pointed how you were lying about scumhunting and you still haven’t really done any of that. You’ve just attacked people voting you. Yes you shot scum, but that doesn’t guarantee you are town, it doesn’t even guarantee you aren’t scum after you saw 5 vigs fail you might have thought odds were you couldn’t shoot her. I’ll move my vote when I feel like I have a better place to put it, but I’m not going to because of your threats.

Gotta play my game, not yours gaspy

I’m not threatening you, I’m casing you.

- your vote is opportunistic
- you leaving it there is opportunistic in the face of today’s actions
- you haven’t done any scum hunting but apparently that’s your “case” on me.

Ergo, you are currently engaged in scummier behaviour than I am, that’s why I’m voting for you.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dancer posted:

Because cultist leader is 3P. And, as said, I interpret the OP as saying "3P's don't get class choice".

If I'm right, KB had information about how the squire worked that hadn't been revealed yet. Ergo he is a squire (and not 3P).

I think you forgetting one important piece of information here, bif flipped with an extra job that was unattainable.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Asphyxious posted:

I’m not threatening you, I’m casing you.

- your vote is opportunistic
- you leaving it there is opportunistic in the face of today’s actions
- you haven’t done any scum hunting but apparently that’s your “case” on me.

Ergo, you are currently engaged in scummier behaviour than I am, that’s why I’m voting for you.

It’s cool you gotta be you I understand

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

imgay posted:

I think you forgetting one important piece of information here, bif flipped with an extra job that was unattainable.

Yeah there is no real reason to think that all alignments didn’t have to choose squire/chemist from the start like us.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Hal Incandenza posted:

Yeah there is no real reason to think that all alignments didn’t have to choose squire/chemist from the start like us.

Of course it's not conclusive, but AA says he didn't get a choice.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

A Sometimes Food posted:

I feel like the description of the failure would have been different in this regard by the mod. My fleeting thought, that somewhat dovetailed with yours, was that the failures could have been due to people receiving one-shot docs, but a) that would have been N1 relevant, not D2, and b) again, I would have expected the flavor text to be different.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Hey we have 12 hours to start casing people and come up with a good lunch. Let's get cracking! I'm going to read through some parts of thread again. (Though I feel like Sugar is a good 3rd party pick still, barring new info)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Toalpaz posted:

Hey we have 12 hours to start casing people and come up with a good lunch. Let's get cracking! I'm going to read through some parts of thread again. (Though I feel like Sugar is a good 3rd party pick still, barring new info)

Toalpaz posted:

This set of conversations, it's just a tidbit but it's more than most people have to ask for. Sugar cube was either lying/joking about their role or the knowledge of it's mechanics. I don't know why sugar cube would hold onto their squire gun last night, or why Sugar would try and imply wrong things about the nature of guns if they had it. The only thing I can think is that it's probably actually a poor 3rd party trying to claim squire.

I went back to try to find the bolded assertion here and I’m not seeing where it is. Can someone point me in the right direction?

If we are set on trying to find the cult recruiter today, my thought would be to start from a list of anyone who has yet to claim a class choice and narrow it down from there (based on AA’s claim that he didn’t receive a choice- figuring that the CR wouldn’t want to claim so quickly). If we can’t figure out a good target from there, dunking the already-claimed 3P isn’t a bad fallback option.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

IllegallySober posted:

I went back to try to find the bolded assertion here and I’m not seeing where it is. Can someone point me in the right direction?

If we are set on trying to find the cult recruiter today, my thought would be to start from a list of anyone who has yet to claim a class choice and narrow it down from there (based on AA’s claim that he didn’t receive a choice- figuring that the CR wouldn’t want to claim so quickly). If we can’t figure out a good target from there, dunking the already-claimed 3P isn’t a bad fallback option.

Only the role-call right now is totally ineffective. It's useless for sussing out the cult leader because there's enough information in flips to fabricate the standard I'm a chemist, I'm a squire.

This solution accomplishes nothing. You could lynch me as the fail-safe, sure... but if I was cult leader, even with the size of the game, my unconventional stratagem wouldn't be to out myself.

Clearly, the thing to do would be recruit a player, learn their details and have everything you need to coast by on publicly revealed and cult-initiate revealed info.

So like I said... cult leader, if you make it to N3, recruit me please.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Only the role-call right now is totally ineffective. It's useless for sussing out the cult leader because there's enough information in flips to fabricate the standard I'm a chemist, I'm a squire.

This solution accomplishes nothing. You could lynch me as the fail-safe, sure... but if I was cult leader, even with the size of the game, my unconventional stratagem wouldn't be to out myself.

Clearly, the thing to do would be recruit a player, learn their details and have everything you need to coast by on publicly revealed and cult-initiate revealed info.

So like I said... cult leader, if you make it to N3, recruit me please.

Hmmmm.

You’re right in terms that once a player from each class has flipped, knowing that CPig is posting the details of each class, it wouldn’t matter. But did we know that at the start of the game? I need to go check on that and on when/if Bif claimed a class before today (posting on mobile).

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

IllegallySober posted:

This is what stuck out to me earlier.

Toalpaz posted:

Later:

Why are you acting confused about gun mechanics if you have a gun friendo?

It's a small tidbit, but I honestly don't know why a squire wouldn't give away a gun or be confused about whether it was 'rigged' or not when they're stated to be unreliable.

Also for people that say 'You're making a mountain out of a molehill' I'm only reposting this constantly because it gets buried and people 'Can't seem to find where you say that'.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 2

Asphyxious (3): merk, Hal Incandenza, merk, merk, Your Personal Muse, Anomalous Amalgam, Anomalous Amalgam, Asiina, King Burgundy, merk, King Burgundy
Anomalous Amalgam (2): CubicalSucrose, Kitiara
CubicalSucrose (2): Anomalous Amalgam, Toalpaz
Hal Incandenza (1): Asphyxious
merk (0): Asphyxious, merk, merk, Asphyxious
Toalpaz (0): Dancer, Dancer

Not Voting (14): A Sometimes Food, CCKeane, chaoslord, Dancer, Eat The Rich, Epsilon Plus, flerp, IllegallySober, imgay, Jeabus Mahogany, KhediveRex, King Burgundy, merk, Slamburger

With 22 alive, it's 12 votes to lynch. The current deadline is October 01st, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 11 hours, 44 minutes.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

IllegallySober posted:

Hmmmm.

You’re right in terms that once a player from each class has flipped, knowing that CPig is posting the details of each class, it wouldn’t matter. But did we know that at the start of the game? I need to go check on that and on when/if Bif claimed a class before today (posting on mobile).

I can’t find any reference/hint that CPig was going to post class details before the D1 dunk/flip. So an early D1 class claim would have still been risky for a 3P of any description.

Bif did claim Chemist relatively early on D1.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

IllegallySober posted:

Hmmmm.

No there wasn't, but again, I don't see how this contributes to your current approach.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Everyone was operating blind until discussion and flips confirmed mechanics and role details.

The Cult Leader would have probably been quiet. If I had intended to hide, I should have been quieter, but you can see my confusion on abilities and what not looking at how I treated imgay, keane and bif.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Toalpaz posted:

This is what stuck out to me earlier.

It's a small tidbit, but I honestly don't know why a squire wouldn't give away a gun or be confused about whether it was 'rigged' or not when they're stated to be unreliable.

Also for people that say 'You're making a mountain out of a molehill' I'm only reposting this constantly because it gets buried and people 'Can't seem to find where you say that'.

The first linked quote from CS about asking who gave you the gun- I could see asking if CS hadn’t received one (unless it’s outright stated in the Squire PM that your recipient isn’t told where the gun came from, which I wouldn’t know as a Chemist). The second piece I took as sarcasm, but depending on how you read the tone in that, I can see your point.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

IllegallySober posted:

I can’t find any reference/hint that CPig was going to post class details before the D1 dunk/flip. So an early D1 class claim would have still been risky for a 3P of any description.

Bif did claim Chemist relatively early on D1.

The list of class info in the OP was there from the very beginning, just empty. I thought at the time it strongly suggested that class info would be revealed upon flip.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Squires knew or should have known how their gun performed in theory.
Just as chemists knew what they would have done.

3P would not have known, because I didn't, but that's not necessarily true, and I hate to dash some casing, but 3P may get access to job classes at some point, maybe not, but I don't think it's strictly prohibited.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

IllegallySober posted:

The first linked quote from CS about asking who gave you the gun- I could see asking if CS hadn’t received one (unless it’s outright stated in the Squire PM that your recipient isn’t told where the gun came from, which I wouldn’t know as a Chemist). The second piece I took as sarcasm, but depending on how you read the tone in that, I can see your point.

You could read it like that.

I read it as first quote saying 'Who gave you the faulty gun, I'm playing along and contributing despite me not knowing a squire mechanic' Because squires are told that guns are unreliable and could fail.

The second one is a Squire claim, which contradicts not knowing squire info. I dunno, I just can't see any way that 'who gave you the faulty gun' isn't a cheap attempt to stir up a case as a 3rd party.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Everyone was operating blind until discussion and flips confirmed mechanics and role details.

The Cult Leader would have probably been quiet. If I had intended to hide, I should have been quieter, but you can see my confusion on abilities and what not looking at how I treated imgay, keane and bif.

I feel like we are arguing two sides of the same coin?

My suggestion (and perhaps it was poorly-worded) was to look for who claimed a class choice prior to knowing that we were going to get full flip information, and hunt for the 3P among the remaining players. I agree with you that the CL would likely not have claimed a class early.

The second piece of my suggestion was that failing to find a good target there, we dunk you as an already-claimed 3P. I can obviously see why you would object to this, but in regards to the first part of what I posted, I think we are talking in circles around the same idea.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Dancer posted:

The list of class info in the OP was there from the very beginning, just empty. I thought at the time it strongly suggested that class info would be revealed upon flip.

If that’s the case, that changes my thought on it somewhat. Thanks for the info.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Toalpaz posted:

You could read it like that.

I read it as first quote saying 'Who gave you the faulty gun, I'm playing along and contributing despite me not knowing a squire mechanic' Because squires are told that guns are unreliable and could fail.

The second one is a Squire claim, which contradicts not knowing squire info. I dunno, I just can't see any way that 'who gave you the faulty gun' isn't a cheap attempt to stir up a case as a 3rd party.

Didn’t CS post this before either of your quotes, though?

CubicalSucrose posted:

This seemed like useful info, reads towny. However, omitted the fact that guns have a chance to misfire or explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

IllegallySober posted:

Didn’t CS post this before either of your quotes, though?

:saddowns:

I didn't see that.

I'm embarrassed.

• Locked thread