Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t know how to link to it, but Anita Sarkeesian’s podcast, Feminist Frequency, uploaded an interview with Natalie Wynn of Contrapoints. It covers some stuff they’ve talked about before, but it’s cool to hear them talk as peers given where Natalie started and what Anita was going through circa 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The Kenster posted:

"Steven Universe sympathizes with fascists" is a "Night In The Woods is Trumpian propaganda" level galaxy-brained hot take.

That one still blows me away for the mental gymnastics on display.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

I vote we make this the thread mascot :allears:

BigRed0427 posted:

YOU BASTARDS!

You ruined it.

This is why we can't have nice things :smith:

she's perfect, don't you touch her

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

lol

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

idgi

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mr. Plinkett? The weird RLM character, I think.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

RareAcumen posted:

Mr. Plinkett? The weird RLM character, I think.

Wow, that's some inside baseball right there.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
I tried to watch a Plinkett video once, and it was so god awful I stopped after three minutes.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

TheHeadSage posted:

I tried to watch a Plinkett video once, and it was so god awful I stopped after three minutes.

i tried to read one of your posts once and it was so god awful i stopped after three words

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Sometimes I wonder if I missed something by not having steady internet connections for so many years in grad school, thus missing the "golden age" of youtube video personalities. Othertimes I realize that the chaff has been separated from the wheat.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Sometimes I wonder if I missed something by not having steady internet connections for so many years in grad school, thus missing the "golden age" of youtube video personalities. Othertimes I realize that the chaff has been separated from the wheat.

You didn't miss out.
It's just that some of this stuff that bounces off you resonated with some folks here when they were 10 years younger and now they are more willing to justify it.
That Plinkett Star Wars review stuff was kind of okay when it came out because it had a neat, lenghty, in-depth approach to making GBS threads on a popular movie in a time where a lot of people didn't really upload super long nitpicky videos on the regular. Gimmicky poo poo like the Nostalgia Critic with its frequent and obnoxious skits had less of a shelf-life, and the higher production value Plinkett stuff turned it into more of a sensation and trend-setter for online movie platforms. Partially because the entire thing had some amount of thought put into it rather than none and partially because the creator at least knew a few things about movies rather than being completely ignorant.
And that's really enough to elevate you above your peers when everyone else is a complete amateur.

I don't think they can really be hold up as a stellar example of anything.
The Plinkett character is a gross weirdo who obsessively nitpicks Star Wars.
That's really about it.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
This might cause an entirely different derail but

Super Eyepatch Wolf: Final Fantasy XV Was a Mediocre Disappointment

Edit: the correct link

Solitair fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 1, 2018

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i tried to read one of your posts once and it was so god awful i stopped after three words

good call.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I will admit, there are some parts that I miss. Blip being a more series focused platform than the viral video focus of YouTube was a great boon when it came to unifying a creator's output as a whole rather than a bunch of individual video essays with no throughline. This also meant that building a community was more encouraged since that was how your videos were spread around, and also a big part of why collaborations happened so much more often.

Everything moving to YouTube completely killed most of those communities, and with that a lot of the fun was sucked out. The actual production skills of the individual creators have, with rare exception, grown and improved tremendously, but they're also more isolated than ever before. And that kinda sucks.

The worst part is that there is no real place for a fan to talk to other fans. Patreon? Twitter? YouTube Comments? You can't build a real sense of community on these sites, they're all laser focused on different services and engagement is not one of them.

The closest I've felt to that sense of community that grew around internet reviews is watching FoldingIdeas stream on Twitch, it's a pretty chill stream and people get into really fun discussions, but it's also very ephemeral and only happens twice a week.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 1, 2018

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Solitair posted:

Your link doesn't go where you think it does

I thought that was the baseline view of the game as a whole, though people did like the road trip parts those are discarded when the plot starts. I'm also a bit annoyed that the director preemptively complained about people making sexy mods for the adult cast, when his last game was about playing as a 13 year old in destructible clothing, and once you know you are playing a child you start unlocking more sexualized outfits. 3rd Birthday really was a garbage game.

Hel fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 1, 2018

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Solitair posted:

What a massive letdown FF15 was. A combination JRPG and open world game should have been the realization of all of my video-game-related dreams, but I couldn’t have been more disappointed in how it turned out. Great artwork and voice acting but literally everything else about it was cobbled together in such an amateurish way that I would never have guessed it came from an established, professional studio.

One thing I’m surprised he didn’t mention was how awkwardly shoehorned-in the time-travel mechanic was. Like the developers knew people would want to go back to the open world once the plot railroad got started, but they didn’t want to actually rewrite the story to accommodate that so they just said “gently caress it; the dog can send you back in time”. Honestly, it feels more like a debug command to teleport to a different map than something that actually exists within the game world.

Edit: Fixed the link.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 1, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zwiebel posted:

The Plinkett character is a gross weirdo who obsessively nitpicks Star Wars.

half right.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I do wish I'd been part of the Awoken process. That could have been so fun, and I could have actually made it to the live reading, what with being in Albany and everything. But I guess I just had to focus on getting that darned PhD! :smith:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bakeneko posted:

What a massive letdown FF15 was. A combination JRPG and open world game should have been the realization of all of my video-game-related dreams, but I couldn’t have been more disappointed in how it turned out. Great artwork and voice acting but literally everything else about it was cobbled together in such an amateurish way that I would never have guessed it came from an established, professional studio.

One thing I’m surprised he didn’t mention was how awkwardly shoehorned-in the time-travel mechanic was. Like the developers knew people would want to go back to the open world once the plot railroad got started, but they didn’t want to actually rewrite the story to accommodate that so they just said “gently caress it; the dog can send you back in time”. Honestly, it feels more like a debug command to teleport to a different map than something that actually exists within the game world.

Edit: Fixed the link.

FF15 is the way it is because its original project lead spent six years sitting on his hands until SE, in a practically unprecedented move for a Japanese company, actually punished a senior staff member and took him off the project, prompting Tabata and co. to pull out all the stops and hash together something halfway-presentable in the remaining two years

any criticism of that game that doesn't put its ridiculously tortured development front and center is fundamentally dishonest.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

That XV managed to see the light of day is pretty crazy.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Explaining it took up a fair bit of the video but in his normal way SEW avoided explicitly blaming anyone even if based on the evidence he presents the person to blame is obvious.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Augus posted:

teaching kids about empathy is insanely good and important ya brokebrained dorks

Tesching them empathy no matter what is actually extremely harmful to everyone ya broke brained dork.

Shockingly there is a middle ground.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
I to wonder why the cartoon about lesbian-rocks-who-cry-a-lots isn’t teaching my non-existent children about the correct people to hate. God forbid sitting down and talking to them like an actual parent.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
the correct people to hate are white south africans hope I could help

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I do wish I'd been part of the Awoken process. That could have been so fun, and I could have actually made it to the live reading, what with being in Albany and everything. But I guess I just had to focus on getting that darned PhD! :smith:

It was hilarious (especially Sara Elinsen) but you are currently living through a golden age of video criticism. 2013 wasn’t poo poo in comparison.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Solitair posted:

Edit: the correct link

i agree with that. i stupidly bought into the hype(first time for a FF game) and was disapointed. I was hoping for actual real time combat ala kingdom hearts and instead i got that. plus the whole "watch kingsglave to feel something" bullshit. i only got 3 hours in and just stopped caring.

Oxxidation posted:

FF15 is the way it is because its original project lead spent six years sitting on his hands until SE, in a practically unprecedented move for a Japanese company, actually punished a senior staff member and took him off the project, prompting Tabata and co. to pull out all the stops and hash together something halfway-presentable in the remaining two years

any criticism of that game that doesn't put its ridiculously tortured development front and center is fundamentally dishonest.

so did bioshock infinite(it got rebuilt like 4 times) but i still see people make critiques about it, mostly correct ones because its flawed as hell. but i don't see people talking about that then. that being said, i agree development hell should be mentioned when those types of games are brought up.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I will admit, there are some parts that I miss. Blip being a more series focused platform than the viral video focus of YouTube was a great boon when it came to unifying a creator's output as a whole rather than a bunch of individual video essays with no throughline. This also meant that building a community was more encouraged since that was how your videos were spread around, and also a big part of why collaborations happened so much more often.

Everything moving to YouTube completely killed most of those communities, and with that a lot of the fun was sucked out. The actual production skills of the individual creators have, with rare exception, grown and improved tremendously, but they're also more isolated than ever before. And that kinda sucks.

The worst part is that there is no real place for a fan to talk to other fans. Patreon? Twitter? YouTube Comments? You can't build a real sense of community on these sites, they're all laser focused on different services and engagement is not one of them.

The closest I've felt to that sense of community that grew around internet reviews is watching FoldingIdeas stream on Twitch, it's a pretty chill stream and people get into really fun discussions, but it's also very ephemeral and only happens twice a week.

I have noticed most big youtubers/critics make a private/public discord group and put them in the info boxes of their videos.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Jim Sterling talks about the treatment of game devs in the industry.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Hel posted:

Your link doesn't go where you think it does

I thought that was the baseline view of the game as a whole, though people did like the road trip parts those are discarded when the plot starts. I'm also a bit annoyed that the director preemptively complained about people making sexy mods for the adult cast, when his last game was about playing as a 13 year old in destructible clothing, and once you know you are playing a child you start unlocking more sexualized outfits. 3rd Birthday really was a garbage game.

I didn't even know 3rd Birthday -existed- until about a month ago, when I was talking about old JRPGs with friends and went "I really liked how different and weird PE was, but i never played the sequel." and another went. "Sequels. There were two." to which I of course called bullshit.

A google search later I was proved wrong and learned about what a confused fuckhead that game was.

Square Enix seems to be an eternal war between the Nomura clan of designers who make glitz movie-length cutscenes of j-pop celebrities at the expense of actual gem, and the mega-concept devs who want to bring about the next gaming revolution of fully detailed, interactive realities that tkae 15 years to realize and always crash waay before coming to fruition. Whoever wins, we lose.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mokinokaro posted:

Ross has another round of dead game news in which he reveals something that makes it extremely hard to take him seriously anymore he believes in Star Citizen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvxaadSzvxU

EDIT: \/ given some of the weird rants he does and his "PC master race" silliness he dives into, you don't see it as possible?

I stopped taking him seriously when he did that terrible Life is Strange review. :colbert:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sephyr posted:

Square Enix seems to be an eternal war between the Nomura clan of designers who make glitz movie-length cutscenes of j-pop celebrities at the expense of actual gem, and the mega-concept devs who want to bring about the next gaming revolution of fully detailed, interactive realities that tkae 15 years to realize and always crash waay before coming to fruition. Whoever wins, we lose.

Noumra is both of those people. Pretty much all interviews with him paint the picture of an archetypical “idea guy” who resents the idea of ever having to do any actual work.

He keeps getting new projects because he’s senior, but everything he touches suffers for it because he’s so capricious and vague over what he actually wants.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sephyr posted:

I didn't even know 3rd Birthday -existed- until about a month ago, when I was talking about old JRPGs with friends and went "I really liked how different and weird PE was, but i never played the sequel." and another went. "Sequels. There were two." to which I of course called bullshit.

A google search later I was proved wrong and learned about what a confused fuckhead that game was.

The less you learn about 3rd Birthday, the better.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The less you learn about 3rd Birthday, the better.

but if you want to know everything about it and become extremely confused and angry about how much a game can refuse every opportunity to make any sense whatsoever but take every opportunity to by disgustingly misogynistic, The Dark Id has a text and screenshot playthrough of it on lparchive

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

If Parasite Eve ever received a remake like RE2, I'd pre-order that in a heartbeat. Game's really weird and good.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

This talk of 3rd Birthday is a shame to me because I spent hours playing the hell out of Parasite Eve II when I was a kid, and I was excited for 3rd but couldn't afford a psp, so I just did that weird fan thing of wishing a corporate product does really well. PE II was actually the only PS1 game I had that wasn't pirated :ssh:

I even got the extended ending which wasn't easy giving that it required knowledge of the first game -which was never released in Europe- and an obscure reference to the moon in Japanese culture.

Thank God for Play magazine is all young me can say.

Edit: Enough of my biography, here's some content.

Renegade Cut covers Ready Player One and the title is not clickbait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePXqArfdARc

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Jimbot posted:

If Parasite Eve ever received a remake like RE2, I'd pre-order that in a heartbeat. Game's really weird and good.

I've experienced the two PE games through voice of dog's stream uploads, and I would love to play them myself. They have extremely strong design for a jrpg - all enemies have an origin and reason for being, the characters are well done and are people doing their jobs and being themselves instead of fulfilling anime tropes, the plotline is fanciful eerie superscience but not completely fantasy if that makes sense.
I don't think modern Square Enix can do anything like that. Best to hope for is for an indie studio to make a horror game like it, seems unlikely since horror games are mostly about wandering around, hiding from eldritch slenderghosts, and only have very bad resident evil puzzles.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

A big element of Nomura’s tenure running 15 was that he just never figured out what he really wanted 15 to be, even 8 years into its development cycle. He drifted from one incongruous idea to the next, uprooting already established work on a whim because he had no real editorial control over him to tell him no until the brass stepped in and fired him.

I think the thing that really sunk him was an interview he gave where he said he watched the Les Miserables movie and became bound and determined to turn FF15 into a massive blockbuster musical game because it inspired him. It wasn’t long after that that he was pulled from control and replaced with Tabata. The fact that Tabata even managed to ship something half-way presentable is astounding, because he’s not exactly a master producer himself if that slapdash tone-deaf clown show Final Fantasy Type-0 is anything to go on.

But yeah, between Final Fantasy XV, Kingdom Hearts III, and the Final Fantasy VII Remake, which isn’t expected to ship it’s first episode of playable content before 2020, Tetsuya Nomura should never be put in directorial control over a major video game ever again... but he will because Square, like any Japanese company, is run by old men who fear change, so he’ll keep failing upward.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

A big element of Nomura’s tenure running 15 was that he just never figured out what he really wanted 15 to be, even 8 years into its development cycle. He drifted from one incongruous idea to the next, uprooting already established work on a whim because he had no real editorial control over him to tell him no until the brass stepped in and fired him.

I think the thing that really sunk him was an interview he gave where he said he watched the Les Miserables movie and became bound and determined to turn FF15 into a massive blockbuster musical game because it inspired him. It wasn’t long after that that he was pulled from control and replaced with Tabata. The fact that Tabata even managed to ship something half-way presentable is astounding, because he’s not exactly a master producer himself if that slapdash tone-deaf clown show Final Fantasy Type-0 is anything to go on.

What I heard of Tabata's development suggests that he mitigated his own problems because he didn't give a poo poo about the auteur model SE loves so much - instead he hired a big team outside of the company's usual talent pool and held constant scrum meetings to keep fine-tuning the game's direction and seeing where and how they could get a workable product out of the napkin doodles Nomura left behind. Nomura meanwhile gives every appearance of detesting the people who work under him, because they dilute his "vision."

I read one recent-ish interview involving him and Yoko Shimomura where he kept half-joking on her not turning her compositions in on time and Shimomura half-jokingly replying "that's because you never told me what you wanted, rear end in a top hat." In a polite way, of course.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Hemingway To Go! posted:

but if you want to know everything about it and become extremely confused and angry about how much a game can refuse every opportunity to make any sense whatsoever but take every opportunity to by disgustingly misogynistic, The Dark Id has a text and screenshot playthrough of it on lparchive

Glad screenshot LPs are still a thing!

But...um. You guys were not kidding. This feels like a "We had this original game in development, then we secired the name of this entirely different franchise and just re-skinned the main character and called if Franchise Game 3!" situation, except it wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I think I've had my full of RPO commentary for the next couple years but that Renegade Cut video makes a good vid.