Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Victorkm posted:

Just finished the first two books of The Completionist Chronicles by Dakota Krout, author of the Divine Dungeon series, and really enjoyed them.

In Ritualist paralyzed former army medic Joe is offered the ability to digitize himself into Elon Musk's new VRMMO by an old friend, and unlocks an unique class offered by a hidden god during character creation.

In Regicide Joe is guided by his hidden god to become more powerful, while the human kingdom led by Joe's guild goes to all out war with the nearby Wolfman nation.

I tore through both books in a day and a half each, and really enjoyed them. Krout is great at coming up with novel game mechanics, though he continues to be unable to come up with good fantasy names. In the Divine dungeon books, characters were named stuff like Dave, Frank, and Steve. In this series the most creative name is Tiona or Occultatum even though he just goes by Tatum. Even so, it's something I'm used to from Krout. There are many references to the Dungeon books which are fun if you've read them, but won't interfere if you havent.

So it's a recommend.

As an MMO player I can relate. Eventually you stop calling people by their in-character nickname and you just use their names.

And if I regularily played with a guy who calls himself Occultatum, I would eventually go down the road calling him Tatum, Tato and eventually Potato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Siegkrow posted:

As an MMO player I can relate. Eventually you stop calling people by their in-character nickname and you just use their names.

And if I regularily played with a guy who calls himself Occultatum, I would eventually go down the road calling him Tatum, Tato and eventually Potato.

Well, he wasn't a player, it was just the alternate name for Joe's god who was called The Hidden God.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Oh mighty hidden god Tatum give us mighty harvests and delicious french fries.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Victorkm posted:

Just finished the first two books of The Completionist Chronicles by Dakota Krout, author of the Divine Dungeon series, and really enjoyed them.

In Ritualist paralyzed former army medic Joe is offered the ability to digitize himself into Elon Musk's new VRMMO by an old friend, and unlocks an unique class offered by a hidden god during character creation.

In Regicide Joe is guided by his hidden god to become more powerful, while the human kingdom led by Joe's guild goes to all out war with the nearby Wolfman nation.

I tore through both books in a day and a half each, and really enjoyed them. Krout is great at coming up with novel game mechanics, though he continues to be unable to come up with good fantasy names. In the Divine dungeon books, characters were named stuff like Dave, Frank, and Steve. In this series the most creative name is Tiona or Occultatum even though he just goes by Tatum. Even so, it's something I'm used to from Krout. There are many references to the Dungeon books which are fun if you've read them, but won't interfere if you havent.

So it's a recommend.

I read it a while back, it's pretty fun I liked it but didn't love it, my friend who just copies whatever I get loved it though, been planning on getting the 2nd book soon, just finishing up some other things first.

Right now I'm going through The Blue Mage Raised by Dragons, I don't know what I was expecting but it wasn't this, it's different at least and I'm enjoying it.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Man I wish I had a credit card to buy these books. Getting one in my country is a bitch and a half.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Siegkrow posted:

Man I wish I had a credit card to buy these books. Getting one in my country is a bitch and a half.

A lot of these are originally web serials, published on royalroad.com and so forth, where you can read them for free.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

I think I had some complaints about the first book in the Crystal Shards Online series, Dodge Tank by Rick Scott in the other thread, mostly that the system in the book straight up ripped off Final Fantasy XI, and I don't think I said it there but IMO the main character Reece and his girlfriend Gilly are not quite 18 years old and are written as much more juvenile. The gist of the book is that Reece outside the Shards is a crippled teen whose stats in game have been reduced by his real life handicap, so all he can really do is be a miner. His mother is also slowly dying of cancer. In the world where this game is set, they have the technology to cure her cancer and repair his handicap, with enough money. While mining he discovers a rare drop from a mineral node, a scroll of Shadow Copy, a ninja ability that allows them to shrug off a hit every 16 seconds or so. Upon discovering he has this scroll, Reece is given an offer he can't refuse. A passing guild leader offers him enough money to cure his handicap and set him up as a Dodge Tank if he will get to max level and tank a world boss for her. The drops from the world boss would then be enough to cure his mom's cancer.

I kind of thought the first book was pretty boring, and more juvenile than the character had any right to be. Most of the book is descriptions of grinding up levels and game text, but the ending is kind of neat leading into the next book.

Turns out that the civilization in the books is just a city in a vault hidden somewhere in the world. The city is run on Nanomachines, and they are running out. When Reece defeats the world boss, he and his group are given the chance to move to the surface of the world, where AI nanomachine colonies have converted the surface of the world into environments mimicking the games that the crystal shards evolved from. But if they die on the surface, their consciousness will lose its connection to their body and they die for real. Reece's brother transitioned to the surface at the same time as his group, and is on a scouting mission for the government to bring more Nano back to keep the vault running.

With the neat story developments, its a lot less boring than the first book, though the writing is still very juvenile. I just started the third book and I will update when I finish it.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

So I mentioned the Blue Mage Raised by Dragons, I finished it and it was a blast and I finally put my finger on what it was. It was a misunderstanding comedy, kind of along the lines of the japanese LNs of Tilea's Worries and I said make my Abilities Average so that's where the tension comes from and it's more light-hearted than even pretending to be serious at all. The general fantasy system being ripped straight from final fantasy games was a bit cringe for me...but I guess tons take there stuff directly from D&D and it works. I'm mostly just surprised book 2 has so far just kept the fun going and it didn't get old or tired considering how absurd the first book ended.

Ohh yeah for people who liked Awaken online pick up the japanese LN series Infinite Dendogram it's good and very much in the same vein.

Victorkm posted:

I think I had some complaints about the first book in the Crystal Shards Online series, Dodge Tank by Rick Scott in the other thread, mostly that the system in the book straight up ripped off Final Fantasy XI, and I don't think I said it there but IMO the main character Reece and his girlfriend Gilly are not quite 18 years old and are written as much more juvenile. The gist of the book is that Reece outside the Shards is a crippled teen whose stats in game have been reduced by his real life handicap, so all he can really do is be a miner. His mother is also slowly dying of cancer. In the world where this game is set, they have the technology to cure her cancer and repair his handicap, with enough money. While mining he discovers a rare drop from a mineral node, a scroll of Shadow Copy, a ninja ability that allows them to shrug off a hit every 16 seconds or so. Upon discovering he has this scroll, Reece is given an offer he can't refuse. A passing guild leader offers him enough money to cure his handicap and set him up as a Dodge Tank if he will get to max level and tank a world boss for her. The drops from the world boss would then be enough to cure his mom's cancer.

I kind of thought the first book was pretty boring, and more juvenile than the character had any right to be. Most of the book is descriptions of grinding up levels and game text, but the ending is kind of neat leading into the next book.

Turns out that the civilization in the books is just a city in a vault hidden somewhere in the world. The city is run on Nanomachines, and they are running out. When Reece defeats the world boss, he and his group are given the chance to move to the surface of the world, where AI nanomachine colonies have converted the surface of the world into environments mimicking the games that the crystal shards evolved from. But if they die on the surface, their consciousness will lose its connection to their body and they die for real. Reece's brother transitioned to the surface at the same time as his group, and is on a scouting mission for the government to bring more Nano back to keep the vault running.

With the neat story developments, its a lot less boring than the first book, though the writing is still very juvenile. I just started the third book and I will update when I finish it.

This might sound kinda weird, but while writing was bad and the characters were kinda bland for me. A lot of what enraged me was that it felt like the dodge tank build was kind of handed to him and it's like everyone knew it was OP it was just rare. It didn't have that feeling of creatively or problem solving that I normally like protagonists to have, it was like ohh this is apparently OP...okay. I got 1/2 way though the first one before just kind of forgetting about it.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

This might sound kinda weird, but while writing was bad and the characters were kinda bland for me. A lot of what enraged me was that it felt like the dodge tank build was kind of handed to him and it's like everyone knew it was OP it was just rare. It didn't have that feeling of creatively or problem solving that I normally like protagonists to have, it was like ohh this is apparently OP...okay. I got 1/2 way though the first one before just kind of forgetting about it.

This is true too. Also its written in present tense which is just weird. Its like the guy had a good idea for situation and wrote a really bad first book and somewhat less bad second and third book to slowly reveal it to whoever is reading it.

I'm pretty sure now after the first third of the third book that they are on the Moon, based on a remark from one of the titular Shard Wraith's and the earlier descriptions of the Wild areas between safe zones created by the Builder AIs being just a bunch of grey sand and rock. Also, apparently there are aliens that may be on Earth or might not be, trying to hack into the Builder AI and feed on the humans in the Citadel where they live. And maybe an inside man who is trying to politically maneuver the head of the council into putting the entire habitat into the Crystal Shards

Still enjoying the actual story and reveal even if the writing is dumb as poo poo.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I just bit the bullet on the month trial for Kindle Unlimited and I'm wondering if there are any horror/supernatural mystery series that are worth reading. I'm having fun with Jeff Strand's Andrew Mayhem books thus far.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Lumbermouth posted:

I just bit the bullet on the month trial for Kindle Unlimited and I'm wondering if there are any horror/supernatural mystery series that are worth reading. I'm having fun with Jeff Strand's Andrew Mayhem books thus far.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076MKKXT2 is decent, reading it right now. And maybe https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075XMPMQX

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

How much does Kindle unlimited cost?

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

Siegkrow posted:

How much does Kindle unlimited cost?

It's $9.99 in the USA, and it's important to note if you are an audiobook listener, you can rent a book for free with KU then use whispersync to get the audiobook version (Anywhere from .99-7.49 normally).

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
A story I sold earlier this year is free now if you have Kindle Unlimited. I already posted in the general SF thread because I forgot this one existed :argh:

Deep Magic Magazine posted:

When Jean is born with a healthy heart, a wealthy family offers an exorbitant amount of money to purchase it. When the heart is sold, a high-tech replacement heart takes its place. It's a common procedure, so what's the harm? Follow along and find out the unintended side effects that haunt Jean and the recipient, Illyia!

We loved "Murmurs" by Micah Hyatt. This story's dry, satirical tone jumped out and grabbed our attention. This futuristic Sci-Fi world makes for a quick, thoughtful and fun story that will keep you entertained to the end!

Order your issue here:
US: http://amzn.to/2DgKfwV
UK: http://amzn.to/2CvmPmw
Can: http://amzn.to/2ojdwko
Aus: http://amzn.to/2obsbiw

There's a great story by Ken Liu in the same issue. I don't get anything from you downloading it, but the magazine is great, especially if you have children who want to read SF short stories and you worry there might be some weird post-human erotica by Charles Stross or something lurking past the cover.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

BananaNutkins posted:

A story I sold earlier this year is free now if you have Kindle Unlimited. I already posted in the general SF thread because I forgot this one existed :argh:

That's fine, this is in partial the zone for us to talk about SF/F that isn't high brow enough for the normal thread.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Been reading through Somnia Online book 1, Initializing, but I probably should have asked for a refund for the 5 dollars I paid for it. Its a weirdly tedious travelogue of the first few days after release in a futuristic VRMMORPG being played by the leader of a highly competitive guild. Similar to the series Resurgence that I described in the Sci Fi/Fantasy thread, the book is really annoying because the author ripped off all the base mechanics and the entire experience of levelling up from level 1 to 20 or so from Everquest, wholesale. Its really annoying, because these 12 people featured in the book act like every mechanic is super novel, when really they are just replaying through one of the first mainstream MMOs. The only saving grace is a really confusing series of interstitials about the dude who invented the headgear the game uses, the AIs that run the game world, and developers during the year leading up to the games release, and a bunch of hidden content that the main character unlocks for her enchanter class (Again, base stuff ripped wholesale from the class in EQ) that is somehow mixed up with the special prototype helmet her mom, a developer gives her and the AIs running the game who seem to have some sort of interest in her specifically.

Anyway, I'd give it an avoid, though It definitely passes the Bechdel test. Not something I care about in particular but I know a lot of folk on SA do. And its a little overwritten, at least that was my first impression. But overall, boring, especially when you know 3/4 of what shes going to discover because you played EQ back in the day.

Edit: And now I just realized that the main character is dead or braindead in the real world and exists wholly in the simulation. When she logs out of the game the governing AIs are giving her a simulation of her own house, parents, and best friend who she thinks is staying at her place for the launch of the game and playing with her. I'm pretty sure her friend is actually playing the game with her digital ghost or whatever and probably isn't aware she isn't still alive. It was actually pretty well foreshadowed but still managed to fool me for 80% of the book. That's pretty cool. Makes me wish the author had used some creativity to come up with a more original system for the game to use than she did.

Victorkm fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 22, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So, a quick question (that might be more geared for CC, if it is feel free to redirect me).

What sells the best out of all these subgenres? Is there anything that's particularly hot at the moment?

e to clarify my purpose: I've had writer's block like loving hell recently, and I think a lot of that is I'm in a really bad financial situation and I don't want to spend insane blood, sweat and tears writing something that nobody in their right mind will ever read. I think a lot of the solution to this might be to find a bandwagon and consciously jump on it, so that the pressure is at least somewhat off me on that end and I can just focus on getting the drat thing done and making it good without the little voice in my head telling me "stop writing, this is a complete waste of time that you should be spending trying to make money."

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 29, 2018

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008
Friend of mine got his first book published by some small house. It tends to fall into the military space opera camp in tone, however it features people on an alien world with early cold war tech. So you get dogfights in early jets and tanks.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HR2D1NG/

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So, a quick question (that might be more geared for CC, if it is feel free to redirect me).

What sells the best out of all these subgenres? Is there anything that's particularly hot at the moment?

e to clarify my purpose: I've had writer's block like loving hell recently, and I think a lot of that is I'm in a really bad financial situation and I don't want to spend insane blood, sweat and tears writing something that nobody in their right mind will ever read. I think a lot of the solution to this might be to find a bandwagon and consciously jump on it, so that the pressure is at least somewhat off me on that end and I can just focus on getting the drat thing done and making it good without the little voice in my head telling me "stop writing, this is a complete waste of time that you should be spending trying to make money."

The money is apparently in Romance genre fiction.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Borderline smutty romance fiction. For lonely housewives.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
Here is a list of trashy Sci-Fi/Fantasy I've read recently that is at least decent.

1) Forging Hephaestus- https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33369873-forging-hephaestus
From the author of the Web Serial 'Super Powereds' this book is actually legitimately good. Everything from the world building, to the characters to the writing style is really charming and fun. It's basically about a thief who finds herself forced into joining the not so secret superpowered league of villainy.

2) King's Dark Tidings- https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28385685-free-the-darkness
An emotionless killing machine raised from birth by the greatest assassins in the land has to go out into the world and learn how to interact with people. Has a lot of similarities to Light Novels like Overlord in that the main character is insanely powerful but lacks knowledge about the world.

3) Nice Dragons Finish Last- https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20426102-nice-dragons-finish-last
A cyberpunk story (Think Shadowrun) about a young dragon who just wants to be friendly and non dragonlike to the dismay of his family. Spends almost the whole book as a human getting up to mischief and not being very good at the whole murderous lizard thing. Interesting for the setting if you've never read one in a futuristic setting that includes magic.

4) Dante's Immortality- https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/39775573-dante-s-immortality
Street Orphan lives in a RPG type world where everyone is assigned a 'Class' at 14. Said orphan gains a huge amount of power from this, but lacks connections or money. Because of this most of the novel is various groups trying to manipulate and make use of him. Interesting inverse of the normal trope where the protagonist is powerful and smart and manipulating everyone else. Is apparently based off a web novel.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

SerCypher posted:

Here is a list of trashy Sci-Fi/Fantasy I've read recently that is at least decent.

1) Forging Hephaestus- https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33369873-forging-hephaestus
From the author of the Web Serial 'Super Powereds' this book is actually legitimately good. Everything from the world building, to the cha

Forging Hephaestus is fan-loving-tastic if you ask me. I hope there's more to come.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Victorkm posted:

Forging Hephaestus is fan-loving-tastic if you ask me. I hope there's more to come.

Yes! It's my favorite of all his little universes.

After reading it I searched around to see if there was anything else like it, but there really isn't much good non DC/Marvel superhero stuff. Worm from Wildbow is really good, but it's pretty depressing, it lacks the humor of Forging Hephaestus.

If anyone else knows of any good superhero stuff let me know.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Victorkm posted:

Drew’s website says he’s releasing a sequel sometime next year.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

SerCypher posted:

Yes! It's my favorite of all his little universes.

After reading it I searched around to see if there was anything else like it, but there really isn't much good non DC/Marvel superhero stuff. Worm from Wildbow is really good, but it's pretty depressing, it lacks the humor of Forging Hephaestus.

I hate to throw this out there, and I wouldn't say its all that good, really, but I rather enjoy the Cape High series by RJ Ross. Its pretty juvenile. Its about a future society where superheroes have formed a self-governing system of Halls that rests beside and apart from the whole of normal humanity. Fights between superheroes and villains are mostly akin to professional wrestling drama these days, and villains that deviate from this norm are dealt with by both the heroes and the villains. If the infraction is bad enough, they are placed into the Cape Cells, a high tech prison that cuts off their powers and keeps them away from humans and supers until they reform. In the cape cells is former villain Technico, who is there because he glassed a large valley with a death ray trying to impress his girlfriend at the time. He's just discovered he has teenage twin children whose powers are just coming in. So he convinces the head of the Central Hall to release him from the Cape Cells and set up a high school program for teen supers to make sure less and less go the true villain route.

It's super sappy and full of teenagers deciding who will be whose boyfriend and girlfriend, and lots of really goofy dialogue, and I think they are really fun reads.

There's like 30 of them now.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

SerCypher posted:

From the author of the Web Serial 'Super Powereds' this book is actually legitimately good. Everything from the world building, to the characters to the writing style is really charming and fun. It's basically about a thief who finds herself forced into joining the not so secret superpowered league of villainy.

Thanks, I am rather enjoying this. Also, holy poo poo, there are so many pages.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Megazver posted:

Thanks, I am rather enjoying this. Also, holy poo poo, there are so many pages.

Yeah it's pretty long. I tend to listen to these types of books on Audible rather than on Kindle, so I tend towards the longer ones.

I've started listening to generic litRPG mmo book #327 "Life Reset"
For some reasons goblins are in vogue as player characters. It's alright, just too many numbers like most litrpgs.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

I'm so bogged down in the sequel to Somnia Online. I hate that I can't seem to stop reading a book once I get a ways into it.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

The sequel to A Blue Mage Raised by Dragons was even better than the first. This is extremely my jam.

I also noticed the Cradle series is on audible now so that's cool.

SerCypher posted:

2) King's Dark Tidings- https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28385685-free-the-darkness
An emotionless killing machine raised from birth by the greatest assassins in the land has to go out into the world and learn how to interact with people. Has a lot of similarities to Light Novels like Overlord in that the main character is insanely powerful but lacks knowledge about the world.

3) Nice Dragons Finish Last- https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20426102-nice-dragons-finish-last
A cyberpunk story (Think Shadowrun) about a young dragon who just wants to be friendly and non dragonlike to the dismay of his family. Spends almost the whole book as a human getting up to mischief and not being very good at the whole murderous lizard thing. Interesting for the setting if you've never read one in a futuristic setting that includes magic.

4) Dante's Immortality- https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/39775573-dante-s-immortality
Street Orphan lives in a RPG type world where everyone is assigned a 'Class' at 14. Said orphan gains a huge amount of power from this, but lacks connections or money. Because of this most of the novel is various groups trying to manipulate and make use of him. Interesting inverse of the normal trope where the protagonist is powerful and smart and manipulating everyone else. Is apparently based off a web novel.

Forging Hephaestus and Nice Dragons Finish Last are good enough they have even come up in my ohh you want to read some good SF/F you havn't heard of.

King's Dark Tidings is some fun trash.

Dante's Immortality is...it's kinda wild...it's a royal road novel and obviously has strong influences from basically all the sources from the webnovel scene in general, it's by far the worst written of the lot and has lots of problems but ohh god it scratches that edgy itch I wanted so badly.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

SerCypher posted:

I thought I made this post, but I guess I didn't, or maybe it's been orphaned in some other thread by accident:

It's not actually relevant to the thread, not being from Kindle Unlimited at all, but I strongly recommend Austin Grossman's Soon I Will Be Invincible as as example of high-quality superhero stuff.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

To kick it off I just finished the first book in Star Justice. Despite featuring a were-tiger lead and vampire heroine it was surprisingly kinda lame. It wasn't bad at all it was just there in mediocrity which is in many ways worse than being awful. The actual action writing itself was fairly solid and I would say above average for indie authors but being over 1/2 way into the second before stopping the plot feels a bit tv-episodic like and I'm not really a fan of that at all unless it's comedy so I'm out at this point.

This turned out to be one of those goofy harem series that are all the rage. Not as rapey as some of them (because boy howdy do the protagonists with 'magical compulsion but the women are okay with it' or 'animal pheromones' abound) but they're mostly there to reinforce that the dude is so awesome and exhibit A is multiple women want to be lain with him.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Oct 22, 2018

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

This turned out to be one of those goofy harem series that are all the rage. Not as rapey as some of them (because boy howdy do the protagonists with 'magical compulsion but the women are okay with it' or 'animal pheromones' abound) but they're mostly there to reinforce that the dude is so awesome and exhibit A is multiple women want to be lain with him.

Yeah it is that, but I think a lot of the problem for me is that the dude doesn't seem extremely awesome. He is just a strongman but has basically 0 personality or complex problem solving skills, it's just me shoot and fight thing, me good at shoot fight. Rather than like having the character come up with a clever plan or something, the women around him instead are the ones that break them out of the situation but it doesn't feel clever or ingenious from them either it's normally ahh my unique character skill here will instantly solve the problem.

Maybe it gets better, but I couldn't feel the energy coming out of the writing, I didn't get that feel of the author thinking awwww yeah this is the coolest poo poo while writing it that I often get from a lot of trashy books in KU.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Yeah it is that, but I think a lot of the problem for me is that the dude doesn't seem extremely awesome. He is just a strongman but has basically 0 personality or complex problem solving skills, it's just me shoot and fight thing, me good at shoot fight. Rather than like having the character come up with a clever plan or something, the women around him instead are the ones that break them out of the situation but it doesn't feel clever or ingenious from them either it's normally ahh my unique character skill here will instantly solve the problem.

Maybe it gets better, but I couldn't feel the energy coming out of the writing, I didn't get that feel of the author thinking awwww yeah this is the coolest poo poo while writing it that I often get from a lot of trashy books in KU.

No, you're quite right, that's pretty much what it is. Were-Tiger Space Marine is as generic as possible so YOU can feel like the one who is actually the were-tiger who loves all the lovely ladies. And no, from my understanding they don't really get better. More dopey and thus maybe more entertaining depending on what you're willing to put up with, but not really better.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dawgstar posted:

wait i'm sorry what, there's an entire series about The Were-Tiger Who Fucks?

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Isn't that just Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Oh, my dude, the 'paranormal space opera' series known as Star Justice is on its eleventh book. And it's only one of the harem series the author pens, all of them about somebody who is so impossibly badass the women just can't help but throw themselves at him. He also does the 'Tamer' series wherein some guy who works for animal control is teleported to a world with hot women and dinosaurs and tames them both.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

And then he has a Lion's Quest LitRPG series that's 3 books in that it seems like he will never pick up again even though they are really fun because he was doing so well with his harem garbage.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, my dude, the 'paranormal space opera' series known as Star Justice is on its eleventh book. And it's only one of the harem series the author pens, all of them about somebody who is so impossibly badass the women just can't help but throw themselves at him. He also does the 'Tamer' series wherein some guy who works for animal control is teleported to a world with hot women and dinosaurs and tames them both.

Sounds like he read a few too many (i.e.one) John Norman novels as a teenager.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Does he gently caress the dinosaurs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

A human heart posted:

Does he gently caress the dinosaurs

Probably No, but the covers of the books show some definitely non standard women shapes and a strange fascination with axes so arachnaphobics stay away.

Doing cover work by commission for this genre has to be hilarious. You want a what? Doing what? With an axe? Are you sure?