Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Krankenstyle posted:

check out the clown tool, wtf is that thing

it's pretty clearly the Evil Eye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Mierenneuker posted:

I think it was supposed to be a (Olympic?) torch, but the colorist turned it into a horn to toot.

It’s also very out of character for Heathcliff to not step on the grass.

Yeah the door-colored flame. Begs the question why the one clown has an olympic torch, though

Further contemplations:
- Could it be a 1940s street corner Santa-bell?
- Are they a Frankenstein-style lynch mob, and if so why are there no pitchforks?
- I really hope it's a big town because 5 clowns are a lot

anyway i think its the only house in history that is like 18 degrees off the lot corner angles

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mierenneuker posted:

It’s also very out of character for Heathcliff to not step on the grass.
He runs faster on concrete. Gotta go fast.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

While I don't have the actual comics on me (I'm lazy) I had a sudden thought on Calvin & Hobbes, which we can probably agree is one of the things that redeems newspaper comic strips; Calvin's parents are frequently shown or implied to punish Calvin in various ways for his usual (mis)behaviour, but on a closer look, they're generally fair about it; whenever Calvin actually shows remorse and understands what he did was wrong, they're a lot easier on him and try to help him learn a lesson than when he acts like he did nothing wrong or makes lies and excuses. Like the incident with the car, or breaking his dad's binoculars, both times he genuinely freaked out and his mom and dad respectively quickly realised that. It's not about giving a brat his comeuppance but genuine parenting.

C&H is genuinely one of the most timeless comics, I think. It holds up so well today. If you want to modernize it a little, just replace his obsession with TV with Internet / games / whatever. It has such a well-defined relationship structure even without giving names to his parents. For all Calvin's faults (lazy, destructive, antisocial), he's a good kid and he's still got plenty of time to grow up. And the way that his imagination is portrayed is something I think we all took for granted back in the 80's and 90's - nowadays you barely see any kid--oriented media showing kids doing stuff with their imagination.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
C&H was drat smart too. I think I got into it when I was in fifth grade or so and, even as an otherwise avid reader, I learned a lot of new words and concepts.

I remember being quite enamoured with the word “multifarious” for example.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Wow the goatse haircut

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Aston posted:

Wow the goatse haircut

gently caress. I thought those were just horns at first, but then I saw the ring....

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Holy poo poo, I thought it was a weird head wound.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Das Boo posted:

Holy poo poo, I thought it was a weird head wound.
Well, you wouldnt be wrong

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Krankenstyle posted:

- I really hope it's a big town because 5 clowns are a lot

Howdy stranger. I can see you are not from around these parts.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Krankenstyle posted:

check out the clown tool, wtf is that thing

TURN ON YOUR MONITOR

*tries to dunk a basketball but misses the rim by a good two feet*

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
C&H is the greatest comic ever on the mere strength of the one arc where he finds a baby raccoon in the forest and tries to nurse it back to health but it dies anyways.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Technocrat posted:

If the role of the bird and the mammal were reversed, it'd be Nedroid!

i was literally thinking about how that gag was so similar to a nedroid style gag before scrolling down and seeing your comment

i like poorly drawn lines, i don't really follow webcomics anymore, but that artist usually gives me a chuckle when i see his stuff.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

is that british? has a very british feel

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Still the best political cartoon and fart joke ever made.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I will never not laugh at the king's face in the picture reacting like he smells the fart.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Holy poo poo

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Because of that cartoon, "That is TREASON Johnny" has been part of my daily lexicon since 1798. It's amazing how often it's appropriate.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tendales posted:

Because of that cartoon, "That is TREASON Johnny" has been part of my daily lexicon since 1798. It's amazing how often it's appropriate.

Do you know the context? I don't :ohdear:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Randaconda posted:

So the character is called John Bull, he was used as a personification of UK (Sometimes specifically England) in cartoons like this. The guy on the left is William Pitt who was the Prime Minister at the time. The King is King George III obviously. This was made by Richard Newton in 1798. It's a satirical cartoon of the era talking about now the populous is rejecting the King despite the protestations of Parliament.

Edit: I suppose it might be worth knowing some more historical context, George III wasn't that popular, he had lost the colony in America and had been interfering in Parliament a lot. William Pitt won a popular election but just turned out to be very friendly with the King even as the King was going mad by this stage.

Aramoro has a new favorite as of 11:14 on Oct 1, 2018

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aramoro posted:

So the character is called John Bull, he was used as a personification of UK (Sometimes specifically England) in cartoons like this. The guy on the left is William Pitt who was the Prime Minister at the time. The King is King George III obviously. This was made by Richard Newton in 1798. It's a satirical cartoon of the era talking about now the populous is rejecting the King despite the protestations of Parliament.

Edit: I suppose it might be worth knowing some more historical context, George III wasn't that popular, he had lost the colony in America and had been interfering in Parliament a lot. William Pitt won a popular election but just turned out to be very friendly with the King even as the King was going mad by this stage.

Thanks! I knew which king it was, and recognized John Bull, but I didn't know what the cartoon was specifically about.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Randaconda posted:

It's about how people kept farting in the king's face, treasonously.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Zelder posted:

I'm about to dedicate way too much of my life to garbage ape

We're all relieved you're finally taking some time off to be yourself

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Milo and POTUS posted:

We're all relieved you're finally taking some time off to be yourself

Aren't we all garbage apes?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
You will never make a garbage ape out of me!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Grendels Dad posted:

You will never make a garbage ape out of me!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
In the case of legitimate garbage ape, the thread has a way of shutting that whole derail down.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

YOU MANIACS!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Absurd Alhazred posted:

In the case of legitimate garbage ape, the thread has a way of shutting that whole derail down.

This is a quality post

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

But there's no ape in Meg Mog & Owl

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Grevling posted:

But there's no ape in Meg Mog & Owl

People might start posting Moon Over Baboon.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

https://i.imgur.com/OTSXLjd.jpg :nws:

Somebody has a new favorite as of 20:14 on Oct 2, 2018

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

BAD henry

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The unstoppable Juggernaut's pants are NOT like that, and furthermore

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat

Arrhythmia posted:

It's about how people kept farting in the king's face, treasonously.

As opposed to Loyally farting in the king's face.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Well, if you've got James Joyce as your king, maybe yeah

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
In the navy, they sound the loyal fart whilst sitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Well, if you've got James Joyce as your king, maybe yeah

All Hail King John Wayne.