Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Always good when providers ask for serial numbers or MAC addresses of their own equipment that they supplied you. Look it up in your internal registry, if it's not in your asset register then send me another one out that has been recorded properly.

I'm pretty sure even lovely consumer broadband ISPs have the data of what device is connected to which account via the TR069 stuff they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm pretty sure even lovely consumer broadband ISPs have the data of what device is connected to which account via the TR069 stuff they do.

Let me tell you about the time a fibre provider hosed their own scheduled splice works by giving their techs outdated splicing sheets.

Aragaith
Jul 26, 2006

Kirisame Marisa.
In space.
Help.

Thanks Ants posted:

Always good when providers ask for serial numbers or MAC addresses of their own equipment that they supplied you. Look it up in your internal registry, if it's not in your asset register then send me another one out that has been recorded properly.

We have new patient tablets and EKG machines deployed out at all of our sites and the teams that manage these devices keep asking us for MAC and serials of these devices even for repeat offenders of various issues right now. The deployment teams never recorded this information, just sent the stuff out to sites and barely verified it worked.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
From two days ago, but it's been a few decades since I've dealt with big core routers (Big was OC-192 at the time, so that dates me pretty well). Back then ICMP time exceeded was dumped off the line cards into the CPU queue, and exactly every other function of the router had a higher priority than generating an ICMP t-e or ICMP p-r to send back to you. Is that an important enough traffic flow that it has dedicated offload at this point, or is it just that CPU speeds have shot up faster than fiber signalling growth?

WRT ISPs being poo poo, back in '99 I had to call into the local telco mid-morning because our ATM link was getting enough packet loss to worry me. After 15 minutes I just dumped the hold music to speakerphone and went about my work. Hour or so later some coworkers grabbed me to get lunch. Hour and a half later, I got back to my desk to hear "your call is very important to us".

Of course, that's the same telco that realized "Hey, internet is a thing, we should get right on that" about 5 years too late, so started their own end-user focused ISP and promptly started loving with every existing ISP to make their own service look better. Their business department told my boss (the owner) to his face: "We're in your market now and we want you out of business. The tariff says we have 90 days to bring that circuit up so it will not turn on until 30 seconds before the public utilities commission starts to fine us." gently caress bell south.

We got out of that business a year later.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Lol I was looking up OC line rates because I forgot the base unit and looks like someone was having a laugh on Wikipedia:

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Nice.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I love Wikipedia's dry humor

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Not knowing whether that’s true or not I wouldn’t question it outright since so many other things in IT are based off of nerd poo poo and inside jokes.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Bigass Moth posted:

Not knowing whether that’s true or not I wouldn’t question it outright since so many other things in IT are based off of nerd poo poo and inside jokes.

OC-420 - aka “Dank Line”.

Gotta get that dank line installed.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Dick Nipples posted:

OC-420 - aka “Dank Line”.

Gotta get that dank line installed.

Dank Fiber

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
User: laptop won't charge, I don't know why, it hasn't worked for a long time

me: is there a ticket open with maintenance for your cabinet door being very difficult to close, too?

User: no, why do you ask

At least they did it to the type of cord that we have hundreds of spares of.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Gods I can't describe how much the "its been like this for a while" bullshit infuriates me.

If your poo poo is legit broken, it'll get fixed, and with appropriate urgency. If you say it's been hosed up for a while and there's no record of you taking a moment to contact support: gently caress you.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

AlexDeGruven posted:

Gods I can't describe how much the "its been like this for a while" bullshit infuriates me.

If your poo poo is legit broken, it'll get fixed, and with appropriate urgency. If you say it's been hosed up for a while and there's no record of you taking a moment to contact support: gently caress you.

Yup, it honestly makes me want to bump the priority to "Bottom of the pile" since clearly it's not affecting their ability to get work done.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Do any of you give users two power cords for laptops? We have some babies who demand two cords so they can have one at home at all times.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GreenNight posted:

Do any of you give users two power cords for laptops? We have some babies who demand two cords so they can have one at home at all times.

We give everybody a single cord because they have a dock in the office, so they can feel free to just leave the "spare" one at home. I think it's reasonable for users to have as many power cords as places they're expected to work from, even if just to save yourself the headache of having to grab spares every time they forget it at home.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have two cords so one can stay at my desk, and one can stay at home or in my work bag. I’m not pulling the power adaptor out of the cable management every time I need to take my laptop somewhere, just to save the company £30.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Thanks Ants posted:

I have two cords so one can stay at my desk, and one can stay at home or in my work bag. I’m not pulling the power adaptor out of the cable management every time I need to take my laptop somewhere, just to save the company £30.

Yeah, our standard onboarding here is your laptop, a dock + power cable, a power cable for home, and two monitors for your desk. It's pretty nice.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
I kind of like the "it's been like this FOREVER" line in tickets tbh because it's a great signal for my mental "oh okay, so you're one of *those* users" file, that way I can take a nice, deep, breath and meditate briefly before talking to them.

We only "give" people one cord when we issue a system. The "give" part is because there is a cabinet in the break room here clearly here clearly labelled "cords and computer parts" that has a milk crate full of spare power cords that are free for the taking. I'm not going to actually broadcast that, though, because then the entire cabinet would get emptied by the end of the day.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Our standard is dock and laptop, one cord for dock, one cord for laptop. People keep leaving the cord at home, so they need to borrow another. HR is asking us to give everyone another cord, but my boss is balking.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

AlexDeGruven posted:

What? You mean you don't love getting tickets at quarter to home on a Friday telling you that the user's <mission critical device> hasn't worked all week and it needs to be in action by doors open Monday?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

GreenNight posted:

Our standard is dock and laptop, one cord for dock, one cord for laptop. People keep leaving the cord at home, so they need to borrow another. HR is asking us to give everyone another cord, but my boss is balking.

We do that, but people ALWAYS keep one when they leave, intentionally or not.

Lenovo workstation laptop power adapters are like $110-140 :(

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

GreenNight posted:

I'm a filthy developer who likes to eavesdrop on you guys, but we get two cords for our laptops as part of the standard setup. One lives on my desk and one in my also-supplied backpack. It's pretty great, honestly.

According to our rock-star IT admins, the docks we have from Dell (K16A001) aren't powerful enough to actually charge the laptop (Precision 7510) while docked.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I hope you used "rock star" ironically, since I can almost guarantee that they are just using the wrong amperage adapters with the docks.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I'm not surprised since it's a lovely thunderbolt dock.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Hell, I have three. One at work, one at home, and one in my backpack for when I'm either working out of a conference room for long periods or traveling for work.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

GreenNight posted:

I have one in my bag, one in the docking and one at home? Adapters are cheap, heh.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

GreenNight posted:

I'm not surprised since it's a lovely thunderbolt dock.

AFAIK it's this.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

the ticket was actually sent in by me but the dang automated emails from ssrs just abruptly took a poo poo last week and no one can figure out why

all credentials seem to be okay it's just not making it to the mail server :thunk:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

The Fool posted:

I hope you used "rock star" ironically, since I can almost guarantee that they are just using the wrong amperage adapters with the docks.

Nah the newer USB-C or thunderbolt or whatever docks only provide I think it’s 60 watt through the cable, but even mid tier laptops come with 65watt adaptors. We give extra chargers to people if they need them because of this, aka one for travel one tied into the desk.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Arquinsiel posted:

What? You mean you don't love getting tickets at quarter to home on a Friday telling you that the user's <mission critical device> hasn't worked all week and it needs to be in action by doors open Monday?

There's a long list of reasons why I no longer do end-user support.

Ask me why I hate developers, though.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Update: I got someone to tell me the password and made sure it was set corr correctly and now it's working

dumbest solution is king yet again

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Shugojin posted:

Update: I got someone to tell me the password and made sure it was set corr correctly and now it's working

dumbest solution is king yet again

"No, I didn't do *x* from my computer. IT knows what my password is, I bet one of them did it."

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

it's a virtual smtp server all it needs is credentials to be sitting there so it can forward emails to the real server

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

AlexDeGruven posted:

I get this too. Except when they finally do bother to tell me about it they use a passive-aggressive email and CC my boss, their boss and the CEO.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

In my company, the upper level sales people get a laptop with one dock, and one charger to travel with.

Since we're switching from Dell's E-Port Replicator to the USB-C docking stations (the D6000), we're also phasing in newer laptops that can charge by USB-C. So it's only the users who have an older laptop with a newer dock (say because their old dock died) that need an extra charger. Otherwise, those with a BD fund can also buy their own extra charger.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Renegret posted:

I do a lot of ISP NOC to NOC communication and lemme tell you, hands down, the worst NOC is Time Warner. They once told me to instruct a customer to climb a telephone poll to get the MAC of an outdoor AP because they claimed they had no way of looking it up based on address.

I very kindly told them to go gently caress themselves.

I was recently asked by a Comcast technician if I knew which pole/drop/tap our building's cable was located on.... he was trying to locate it and had unhooked a few and none of them where ours. (now I understand where those random outages come from... a bumbling cable co. tech is randomly unhooking cables to find out which one goes where!) Why the hell would I have any knowledge of Comcast's infrastructure outside of our building?!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

stevewm posted:

I was recently asked by a Comcast technician if I knew which pole/drop/tap our building's cable was located on.... he was trying to locate it and had unhooked a few and none of them where ours. (now I understand where those random outages come from... a bumbling cable co. tech is randomly unhooking cables to find out which one goes where!) Why the hell would I have any knowledge of Comcast's infrastructure outside of our building?!

Clearly you know as much as he does.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

We do that, but people ALWAYS keep one when they leave, intentionally or not.

Lenovo workstation laptop power adapters are like $110-140 :(
Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuup. We do the Lenovos, too, and our standard is a dock with two monitors at their desk, and a power adapter. If people ask for another, we give it to them, and if they request it, we'll also give them a dock and two monitors for home use. I can probably count on one hand the number of times we've gotten the extra charger back. I'm sure it's just people forgetting, since it's not like the things are useful to you if you don't have a Lenovo commercial laptop.

Of an office of ~160ish users, though, only ~40 are Lenovo laptop users. We have HP Elitebooks we use for some locations that don't leave the office, and only use the docking stations for charging.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

AlexDeGruven posted:

There's a long list of reasons why I no longer do end-user support.

Ask me why I hate developers, though.
Is it admin rights? I bet it's admin rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Game chat, I actually have a teammate who is connecting to a German based server from France. Ping in that particular game spikes to 600ms, constantly, with frame drops too.

Any other online game? Absolutely perfect. I'm not surprised he's a little suspicious that something is up.