Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
And tomorrow's volunteering vegan offering is nothing terribly exciting, I'm afraid: Burrito bowls - rice, black bean chili, homemade refried beans, tomato salsa with some spring onions and avocado.

While most of it is pretty standard, I'd never really made or tried refried beans until I got into vegetarian cooking. I use refried beans in a few different things - in enchiladas, on wraps, as a dip, burrito bowls, etc. Also I hear it freezes pretty well but I can't say I've tried it.

Refried beans:

500g dry pinto beans
1 medium brown onion, diced
½ cup pickled jalapenos, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp chilli powder
Black pepper
6 cups water
Salt
Squirt of lime juice

Rinse pinto beans then add everything except salt and lime juice to a slow cooker, cook for 5 hours.

After that's done, drain the liquid into a separate bowl, add the lime juice and salt to the beans and stick-blend the beans. Add more liquid as needed to get your preferred consistency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
A bit more food. About a couple weeks until I go to India, so still using up pantry stuff:

Slow-cooked tomato sauce (three cans of tomatoes, I think).

Miso soup (using up some kombu and shiitake mushrooms for the stock, using up some miso and wakame for the soup).

Rava pongal (using up some cream of wheat and moong dal).

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Anyone ever make their own seitan? I've been really enjoying it lately, but I'm not down with $6 for 8oz of wheat gluten.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Yeah I always make my own. I'm not sure it's at all cost effective because wheat gluten is hella expensive but it's nice to be able to control the texture and flavor.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

I always make my own too. Usually make a giant batch, freeze 90% of it, then snack on it over the next month or two. I bulk order vital wheat gluten from Honeyville, you can get 21 lbs for about $90. Makes about 45 pounds of seitan. Factor in the other ingredients, probably about $3/lb for homemade seitan. Store ought is usually $10-12 a pound or so, I think?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I'm seeing a lot of recipes call for 1-1.5 cups of vital wheat gluten. A quick glance at amazon shows me I can get ~20 recipes worth of the stuff for $30. So that on the surface seems cheaper than $6 per meal from the store. I'll have to poke around chinatown and see if they sell it for less than $6 for 250g.

Edit: gently caress, Beaten.

I see a number of recipes calling for chickpea flour as well as high gluten flour. Anyone try these?

Sextro fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 24, 2018

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Sextro posted:

I'm seeing a lot of recipes call for 1-1.5 cups of vital wheat gluten. A quick glance at amazon shows me I can get ~20 recipes worth of the stuff for $30. So that on the surface seems cheaper than $6 per meal from the store. I'll have to poke around chinatown and see if they sell it for less than $6 for 250g.

Edit: gently caress, Beaten.

I see a number of recipes calling for chickpea flour as well as high gluten flour. Anyone try these?

I like em. Gives it a slightly different flavor. And generally even if you don't use flour but just mash up some beans in it it gives it a denser texture.

And if you don't have any chickpea flour you can just throw some dried beans in a blender and voila, chickpea flour.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Chickpea flour helps with the texture, pure gluten can easily get too chewy. (It also lowers the price!) I usually go two thirds gluten, one third chickpea, and loads of tomato puree and pureed beans with assorted spices. More is more when making seitan!

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
It's actually really cheap if you make it from flour. It feels kind of weird throwing most of a bag of flour down the sink as you make it though.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I'm bored. I think I've been eating lentils and chickpeas with kale and various other vegetables for months. Can you guys share your high calorie meals with me so I can try something new?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lemonslol posted:

I'm bored. I think I've been eating lentils and chickpeas with kale and various other vegetables for months. Can you guys share your high calorie meals with me so I can try something new?

Not sure about a full meal but i'd recommend Gobi 65, which is kind of the Indian equivalent of buffalo cauliflower wings. I guess you can have it with noodles or rice if you want to make it a full on meal.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Not sure about a full meal but i'd recommend Gobi 65, which is kind of the Indian equivalent of buffalo cauliflower wings. I guess you can have it with noodles or rice if you want to make it a full on meal.

That looks great. I'm going to pair that up with rice tonight. Thanks!

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
For something super lazy I like to do stir fried veggies on rice slathered in satay sauce. As satay sauce is basically coconut cream and peanut butter it's super calorie dense so you can just add more of that goodness on top to hit your :btroll: goals.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Peanut butter + sriracha + whatever oil you like. Drizzle on everything.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Ended up making pierogies yesterday and they ended up really good. Wish I took a picture before eating them.

So what do you all use for cheese when making things like pizza or pasta? The last one I tried (I think it was either Daiya or Trader Joe's vegan mozzarella) didn't end up sitting well with me so i've been avoiding them for a while now.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I make cheeseless pizzas and pastas, since I don't really trust vegan cheeses.

Imbroglio
Mar 8, 2013
I like a thick layer of caramelized onions on my pizzas.
I think the key to a good vegan pizza is cooking most of the water out of your veg before you put it on.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I used a pesto base instead of red sauce or cheese when I made vegan pizza (it was a vegan pesto recipe, something similar to this I believe).

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

I like to make a smoky cashew crema. Salt, nooch, water, cashews, liquid smoke, blend the hell out of it, top, bake.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Ended up making pierogies yesterday and they ended up really good. Wish I took a picture before eating them.

So what do you all use for cheese when making things like pizza or pasta? The last one I tried (I think it was either Daiya or Trader Joe's vegan mozzarella) didn't end up sitting well with me so i've been avoiding them for a while now.

Normally I make tomato pies. But when I want a cheese substitute I use some cashew mozerrla. The oil based cheeses don't sit with me very well.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Oil-based fake cheeses are just that. Coconut oil specifically is horrible stuff, I take my pizzas without anything that tastes unhealthy at best and like epoxy glue at worst, thank you. Just slice you veggies as thin as possible (zucchini works very well as a pizza topping) and get creative when making your tomato sauces or pesto or whatever!

e: I believe that this thread is actively about promoting vegan dishes that don't try to fake animal products, often by being more horribly processed than the stuff they're meant to replace in the first place. Pizza can be really great without cheese, using processed oily crap just ruins something that could be amazing with a little culinary imagination. Pine nuts alone work wonders!

barbecue at the folks fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 2, 2018

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
It's old news but here's a few vegan pizza recipes with nothing resembling cheese on top: https://slice.seriouseats.com/2013/02/the-pizza-lab-how-to-make-vegan-pizzas-that-really-work.html

They're all good but a special mention goes to my favorite pizza topping the potato. Sounds weird but if you slice it thin, let it soak in salt water and dry before putting on the pizza it's gonna taste amazing. Goes really well with something like king oyster mushrooms.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Nutritional yeast is where it's at for cheesy tastes in vegan cooking. I use it everywhere.

listrada
Jan 2, 2017
I just discovered Vegan Richa and Vegan Richa's Everyday Kitchen cookbook. The boyfriend and I are working our way through it. So far, every recipe has been a new favorite - I'm super impressed because I usually don't fall in love with a new cookbook like this.

Anyone else really digging a new book or blog?

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

listrada posted:

Totally! I read Plenty More recently, it's a pretty famous vegetarian cookbook. Going through it and ignoring recipes that werent vegan or couldnt be made vegan, taught me a lot about vegetables.

I also watch this little Japanese YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/owYJPXS3Xk0

I like it because it's short so I can watch him prepare a recipe a few times before trying it. I also like that he seems genuinely interested in sharing the recipe. There's no: "what's up guys it's your boy vegan guy here gonna share with you a recipe for vegan chicken nuggets be sure to watch till the end"

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Vegan Richa is great.

Cashew + nooch + soy milk sauces have me a bit annoyed, as they're promoted heavily to "new vegans" on the internet, like first-second year vegans, as a cheese sauce replacement. It's really not the same thing though, and that turned me off these types of sauces. I find it bland, and it seems like the only thing that can give them taste is salt.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Oh right I forgot the no fake poo poo rule (that I imposed...). NO FAKE poo poo. Stop talking about your lovely cheeses, everyone knows they're worse than real cheese. I think cheese is literally the only realm in which a vegan diet doesn't have adequate replacements in terms of fake poo poo or whatever. Anyways:

listrada posted:

I moved to India in August and I haven't had the chance to cook yet, so to make up for it I've been going pretty hard on blogs and cookbooks. Teff Love is indisputably my favorite so far - it's an excellent cookbook. I'm also looking forward to the upcoming Lotus and the Artichoke Ethiopia book - I saw some of the recipes because I'm in the Facebook group for recipe testers and they look great. Thai Vegetarian Cooking is mostly vegan aside from some recipes with egg and it's excellent. Decolonize your Diet is mostly vegan and the cheese can be left out of most recipes, and I'd recommend it for anyone living in the American southwest, since it's pretty focused on a lot of local ingredients.

Continuing on the cookbook theme, PLANTLAB is pretty neat. There's nothing you'd want to make every day but in terms of trying out new different things it has some nice ideas. Ditto for Dirt Candy (vegetarian, not vegan, but of course it has plenty of vegan recipes). I always also recommend Afro-Vegan as a great all-around fancy cookbook - again you wouldn't want to make this stuff every day but it's great for digging out when you want to do some sort of project. Bryant Terry also wrote Vegan Soul Kitchen which is good too.

The Food52 Vegan book is a nice simple workhorse cookbook and the recipes all look pretty great. Along the same lines with more recipes and a little less panache is the Forks over Knives cookbook which has lots of recipes so that's nice.

Zahav and Fuchsia Dunlop's Chinese cookbooks like Land of Plenty Every Grain of Rice, and Land of Fish and Rice have lots of excellent vegan dishes. But they're not vegan cookbooks, so get ready to ignore a lot of stuff.

And now for the blogs I went and discovered:

http://www.onearabvegan.com/
http://www.picklesnhoney.com/
https://veganyackattack.com/
http://keepinitkind.com/
https://www.connoisseurusveg.com/
https://minimalistbaker.com/
https://www.thefullhelping.com/
https://thevietvegan.com/
http://thefirstmess.com/
http://thegreekvegan.com/
https://www.thecuriouschickpea.com/

I'm actually not the world's biggest fan of Vegan Richa's recipes as written - to me they're always under-seasoned.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Colonel J posted:

Vegan Richa is great.

Cashew + nooch + soy milk sauces have me a bit annoyed, as they're promoted heavily to "new vegans" on the internet, like first-second year vegans, as a cheese sauce replacement. It's really not the same thing though, and that turned me off these types of sauces. I find it bland, and it seems like the only thing that can give them taste is salt.

I use em more like a savory bechamel, rather than as a cheese replacement. Especially with liquid smoke they're great more as a white sauce base to put toppings on rather than a fake cheese topping. Got that from... Julie Hanson's Vegan Pizza book, IIRC?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
This is a garbanzo, avocado, dill toast thing my wife figured out:

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
My overnight oatmeal with fruits and nuts. Used Hemp Milk here:

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I made nachos last night. Looks pretty gruesome, huh?

E for content: I made a sauce out of eggplant, nutritional yeast and some spices that turned out surprisingly well.

gay for gacha fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 6, 2018

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

VideoGameVet posted:

My overnight oatmeal with fruits and nuts. Used Hemp Milk here:

Hell yeah oatmeal!!

Gonna mimic your toast spread next time avocados are on special.

lemonslol posted:

I made nachos last night. Looks pretty gruesome, huh?

E for content: I made a sauce out of eggplant, nutritional yeast and some spices that turned out surprisingly well.

Hell yeah nachos too!!!

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
There's some perfect-world version of maqluba where everything flips out of the pan intact and you get a lovely cake-like centrepiece for your meal. This is not that version.

The taste though...

The thing I really like about this dish is that it apparently should have chicken in it, but I don't see that simply removing the meat detracts from it at all. It's fried veg, steamed rice and spices; that's really all you need.

The main ingredients:

Layered in the pan before adding the rice and stock:

C- for presentation:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
There are many tricks that can help ensure an intact maqluba. I've seen some suggest using a piece of oiled parchment paper on the bottom, which is always a nice way to get something to come out with little fuss. I've never really owned a platter large enough and strong enough to survive being underneath an inverted dutch oven, so I've never even bothered in the first place.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I've been thinking about making some vegan sushi (or kimbap). Any good filling ideas? I'd like to try to make a few different varieties. Cucumber and Avocado obviously. I was also thinking about fried tofu or some kind of chickpea preparation. I figure hummus could replace the rich/creamy element that's missing. What other vegetables would be good?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Cooked sweet potato and portobello mushrooms. An old roommate of mine used to make that combination with brown rice and it was loving great.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Asparagus, eggplant, carrots, bell pepper, enoki mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms, spinach. And for the kimbap there's danmuji and burdock root.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Eeyo posted:

I've been thinking about making some vegan sushi (or kimbap). Any good filling ideas? I'd like to try to make a few different varieties. Cucumber and Avocado obviously. I was also thinking about fried tofu or some kind of chickpea preparation. I figure hummus could replace the rich/creamy element that's missing. What other vegetables would be good?

I usually do the standard cucumber and carrot, as well as shitake mushroom and green (Usually raw spinach or silverbeet tossed in a pan to wilt while the mushrooms are finishing).
Avocado with carrot, tofu with shitake, Bell pepper (capsicum) with greens or herbs like coriander roots or even scallions sound good too, but I've never tried those combos.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Avocado piece and those sweet, fried tofu ones that is like a sheet covering the rice. Fried (or grilled?) tomato with the skin removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Cooked with seitan for the first time, worked well in a stir fry.

Went with

1 red onion
2 finely sliced carrots
Some seitan, cut into strips
vermicelli noodles
1 tsp crushed chilli
2 tsp of black beans
3 cloves garlic
splash of chinese cooking wine

finished with sesame oil

Was pretty good, would do it again. I think I prefer firm tofu, but it's a different kind of protein that can be used in stir fries.