Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

the biggest thing you get from external dac is ability to drive more serious pair of cans - i have high end integrated audio on mobo, but it obviously struggles with 30 ohm headphones

lmao at treating design impedance as any indication of quality

whats the swr look like at your soundcard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Progressive JPEG posted:

i am afraid to talk about things other than impedance, im just happy i don’t have noticeable static noise

but that’s integrated, i don’t use it for anything since pc is too far away from desk on the wrong side from all cables. so speakers go into monitor audio port (don’t @ me), and headphones into focusrite solo

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Progressive JPEG posted:

i use poo poo headphones on my poo poo integrated sound card - does the needful for me

with that said, I don't think cinci was worried about impedance-matching, but more about "can the output stage from my sound-card drive these without hitting the supply rails"

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

hold the phone here, you actually got sound out of a linux?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Poopernickel posted:

i use poo poo headphones on my poo poo integrated sound card - does the needful for me

with that said, I don't think cinci was worried about impedance-matching, but more about "can the output stage from my sound-card drive these without hitting the supply rails"

yeah im far from audio nerd or anything, there’s just very obvious “sound fullness” difference when i compare the back panel audio port to a an external dac. supposedly, as i read now, my motherboard has dedicated amplifier for front panel audio, that i haven’t tried at all, i think. apparently the one i tried is a “differential amplifier”, whatever is that

in other words, my measure of audio quality is if my headphones work well. with back panel audio a 250 dollar pair of headphones was worse than a 15 dollar pair.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

i remember hearing mega hissing occurring while scrolling a browser or clicking windows when i was using a 2006 grade PC during the latter years of childehood

internal output things seem much better now, maybe??? :shrug:

and then having an external dac is a fun idea that i've never yet bought but they seem even more legit??? :shrug: :shrug:

nice noise over headphones is nice imhotep

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
there's absolutely still poo poo tier intergrated sound that'll squeak at you for scrolling in browser and similar, it shows up fairly often in lovely OEM boxes. can be fixed with a $3 usb "soundcard" tho.

the only reason to get a dedicated card these days is if you need a pro one to do latency-free sound mixing in windows because windows sound is a piece of poo poo. for everything else a cheap external DAC does just as well/better.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

front panel out on my desktop hums when the gpu fires up, cause the header is at the back right next to the pcie slot

turns out i just dont gaf enough to do anything about it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

usb sound cards are cheap and good, for a stationary computer or docking station it is a really good bet

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

apropos of nothing, the fact that modern cheap headphones are multifunction USB devices implementing the Audio and HID keyboard classes is super weird

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

https://twitter.com/RaduBT/status/1043519834787581953

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

what kind of linux person doesn't know the difference between a single quote, backtick and tilde. smdh

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
that sure is a blog

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the real secret is linus is on a windows or mac with smart quotes

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
what if linus, but qanon :freep:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lmao

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

linus torvolds, on liveleak video, blindfolded and kneeling in front of gay pride flag: I love social justice now. I say this under no duress.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
trapped in cuck factory, send help

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
hi i'm linus torvalds, long-time linux advocate and investor

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Gazpacho posted:

trapped in cuck factory, send more lube

ftfy

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

My coworker acquired a stack of X1 6th gens, and he gave me one, and I put Linux on it. So far it is very needs suiting. Posting from my linux deck.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

my bitter bi rival posted:

linus torvolds, on liveleak video, blindfolded and kneeling in front of gay pride flag: I love social justice now. I say this under no duress.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
hellot hread if you ever wanna feel depressed click this link https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/8a104f8b5867c682d994ffa7a74093c54469c11f

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

reminds me of this https://github.com/twbs/bootstrap/issues/3057

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

POTATOES :derp:

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

less depresso, more shove into lockerso.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

ah, the UTF conspiracy. can't wait for these people to start saying how the fact that linus' demeanor has changed since he returns proves he's been replaced by a reptilian by them

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/computerpupper/status/1047374665348333568

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's funny because while linus was incredibly rude in his rants, has he ever been a not-sjw? his entire project is basically software communism, that alone should be a pretty decent tell. it took him too long to figure out his conduct is problematic, but that too is more than i could say about most people in tech these days. :smith:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

my bitter bi rival posted:

lol

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

what even ARE punctuation?

an invasion by overtly coed-coded languages???

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

was the code of conduct voted on, or why is there such a commotion

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

mike12345 posted:

was the code of conduct voted on, or why is there such a commotion

nerds

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

quote:

The thing about programming is that in the vast majority of cases, there is an objectively correct way (the fastest, most performant, most scalable algorithm

Lmfao

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

what if a relatively-footnote minor culmination (sent via email) after a zillion years of human society learning and growing...but backwards?

and with tracked changes?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

quote:

Let's see how many SJWs it takes to destroy the pinnacle of modern technology...

Pulls out the popcorn

is

is he talking about linux? he's commenting on a file in the linux kernal repo so I assume he's talking about linux but surely it can't be true

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
CoC: "Don't be a loving rear end in a top hat."
nerds: "Wow, way to get political."

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

quote:

Guys look what's happening to Brett Kavanaugh. SJW have no morals. They are demonic. Please revert this commit.

👍 9👎 4

quote:

This is straight paid infiltration by big corps

quote:

Is this being reversed? and if not is anyone planning making a fork of Linux with a different code of conduct?
From my point of view, if the code of conduct remains it means that the Linux kernel has been compromised and could start spying on me in the future. Thats a big red flag for security!

:thunk:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

elite_garbage_man posted:

CoC: "Don't be a loving rear end in a top hat."
nerds: "Wow, way to get political."

As a card-carrying member of the National rear end in a top hat party I-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008