Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Sorry but the worst classic RE is Zero, followed by... IDK, probably Code: Veronica.

IN OTHER STUFF: CarcinogenSDA went to Japan to stay with CVXFreak who I remember from about 15 years ago on GameFAQS to do a developer commentary run of RE3 Kazuhiro Aoyama. It's about four hours long as Carcinogen was going for a kill-all no-damage run but there was lots of opportunity to ask Kazuhiro about the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUTVqP1l83M

Aoyama is personally responsible for the RE3 water treatment puzzle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
This is really cool thanks for posting.

For some reason classic RE games are so much fun to watch speedruns of.

EDIT: Nevermind this is not a speedrun like at all.

Vic fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Sep 30, 2018

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Man re2make is gonna own bones.

I should really replay every game in the series, preferably with cheats on so i can just saunter through them.

I say replay, still havnt touched my copy of 5 or 6 and I'm not sure i finished code veronica back in the day.

Goddamn resident evil owns.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Definitely gonna replay RE7 because REmake2 is probably going to feel pretty familiar since it uses a similar interface.

Maybe not on Madhouse though... One of the hardest difficulties I've ever played

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Can skip over 7 since i only got round to that about 6 months ago.

Really curious about 6 though, it seemed to get a lot of flak at release, only bought mine just after finishing 7 and just not had the time to try it but it seemed a bit segmented/ disjointed from what i remember people saying at release.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
RE6 has a really awesome control scheme. Not only you have cool melee system and dodge rolls but also quickshots which lets you do really sick gunslinger moves.

Unfortunately this is wasted on campaign but in Mercenaries minigame you get to use all your moves to create awesome combo streaks.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

RE6 was always a very flawed game and I tried replaying it some weeks ago only to give up two hours into it once I remembered all its flaws. Outside the combat system everything else is a mess of half-baked gimmicks, cutscenes and QTEs that constantly interrupt gameplay, especially during Leon/Helena's and Jake/Sherry's campaigns. Ada and Chris/Piers' campaigns are probably the most consistent and even then you're better off playing something else unless you want to get through RE6 for completion's sake.

Mercenaries is fun for a couple of hours but the structure of the timer makes it tiring real fast and I would've preferred a Raid mode.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
6 has a lot of really good parts and a lot of really bad parts. it's very polarizing so i'd suggest trying it yourself.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I really enjoyed 6, I could see why people disliked it, but I enjoyed it in spite of its flaws.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Yeah, RE6 is very flawed, but overall I enjoy dit much more than 5.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

DeadButDelicious posted:

Aoyama is personally responsible for the RE3 water treatment puzzle.

That is my favorite puzzle in resident evil & I actually think it’s very clever and fun to solve, & also I have other unpopular opinions.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Bonaventure posted:

That is my favorite puzzle in resident evil & I actually think it’s very clever and fun to solve, & also I have other unpopular opinions.

I am right there with you I don't see it as a difficult puzzle. If anything the 3 stones puzzle in the clock tower gives me more issues.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

RE6 is much more enjoyable than it should be if you play it in co-op. If that's possible, do that.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Renoistic posted:

Yeah, RE6 is very flawed, but overall I enjoy dit much more than 5.

I enjoyed both 5 and 6 when playing them co-op but 6 gives you like, next to no reason to come back to it. RE5 took RE4’s new game plus power creep and cranked it to an absurd level, with unlockable infinite ammo and upgrades out the wazoo for every gun. RE6 took a step way, way back from that and it’s nowhere near as fun to replay it because of it.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I don't really know about that because I've never replayed a RE game. No, not even the first one even though I missed the good because I didn't wait for Barry.

And I barely got through 5 as it is, I won't replay it no matter how powerful they make you.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Kibayasu posted:

RE6 is much more enjoyable than it should be if you play it in co-op. If that's possible, do that.

Seconding this. RE6 just works better in co-op with an actual human player; the AI partner may be invulnerable but they still get up to some dumb wacky poo poo. Same goes for RE5, it's better in co-op even if only to stop the AI partner from overdosing on the Retard Pills and constantly getting killed by poo poo like Chainsaws and Reapers. Or Wesker.

Hoo boy.

Dewgy posted:

I enjoyed both 5 and 6 when playing them co-op but 6 gives you like, next to no reason to come back to it. RE5 took RE4’s new game plus power creep and cranked it to an absurd level, with unlockable infinite ammo and upgrades out the wazoo for every gun. RE6 took a step way, way back from that and it’s nowhere near as fun to replay it because of it.

Sometimes I think I'm the only one who didn't really like the weapon upgrade mechanics in RE4/RE5. It just feels so out of place and dumb next to the rest of the series but you're almost forced to go ahead and use it because the difficulty curve is somewhat designed around that feature in those games, rubberbanding difficulty notwithstanding.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Sometimes I think I'm the only one who didn't really like the weapon upgrade mechanics in RE4/RE5. It just feels so out of place and dumb next to the rest of the series but you're almost forced to go ahead and use it because the difficulty curve is somewhat designed around that feature in those games, rubberbanding difficulty notwithstanding.

I kinda loved it in 4, because messing with the shops and the inventory were a nice break from the constant tense action. 5 just had it because 4 did.

But I'd agree that it feels a little out of place compared to the rest of the series, and would very much hope RE2make doesn't have it.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

You could upgrade your guns in RE2 and RE3 tho

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The AI in 5 was absolutely stupid because if they had somehow picked up a first aid spray they'd use it immediately after taking .5 points of damage. Playing with friends in 5 and 6 is just so much more fun

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

RE6 is worth playing because you can equip Jakes fists as his weapon and its honestly the most fun controls of anything in the series.

also i hope RE2 remake is nothing like RE7, which is a game i enjoy where doing any actual combat is a loving chore. and a lot of people mistake combat being a chore for "combat having consequences" and i feel like it got a little bit too much of a pass for that. it works fine earlier in the game where you can actually just run from enemies but then there are sequences that are just long extended fights and ugh.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
jake fisting the world is great, but there are relatively few opportunities to use them early in his campaign. the infinitely respawning guys with guns, then the giant gun-only boss, then the snowy mountain where all the enemies are at long range, then the goddamn stealth section. that section of the game isn't exactly great on its own merits, but it is absolutely dire if you just want to beat jaa'vo to death with your bare hands.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

RE6's big failing is the level design, not the gameplay mechanics. The gameplay mechanics are fantastic, but the level design is always trying to one up itself and throw you into scripted setpiece after scripted setpiece that it never really allows room for the core gameplay to be utilized outside of Mercenaries.

Well, that and the other big failing is that the game does a piss poor job in teaching the player how to play the game so people will approach it like RE4 or 5 and get pissed off that the old tactics from those games don't work the same way in RE6.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

jake fisting the world is great, but there are relatively few opportunities to use them early in his campaign. the infinitely respawning guys with guns, then the giant gun-only boss, then the snowy mountain where all the enemies are at long range, then the goddamn stealth section. that section of the game isn't exactly great on its own merits, but it is absolutely dire if you just want to beat jaa'vo to death with your bare hands.

the fist dash move absolutely wrecks dudes with guns since it weaves so well

the snowmobile section is hands down the worst part of the game after everything in the leon part forcing you to walk half the time to hear stupid exposition.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RE6 also has too many guns but not enough inventory for them and the skill progression system just isnt fun in the least.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even if you deliberately avoid picking up a gun it is automatically added to your inventory in the next chapter. the part i least like about re6 is the inventory.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Madhouse should be any zombie bite is an instant death or zombification after a certain length of time. Just go full hog on this why don’t we.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I've never gotten the controls in RE6 to feel good, no matter how I move it feels sloppy and kinda... hacked together? I was never really able to get into the brawler mindset either. It's a game that for some people just really clicks, but it's never quite done it for me. It's worth a shot to see if it works for you though, especially if you get it cheap. The people that it clicks for really like it.

You probably do need to play it in co-op though. I made it to the end of Chris's campaign but loving AI Piers is goddamn useless and I had practically no ammo.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Vic posted:

You could upgrade your guns in RE2 and RE3 tho
But it was an entirely different thing in those games, that at least made some relative sense given the setting and surroundings (find the required parts, combine parts with gun, if you don't find 'em then you're poo poo out of luck and have to make do without). There was no treasure hunting nonsense with some dickhead in a robe standing around, talking and laughing like a reject from Mary Poppins/Oliver! while you emptied your pockets of enough valuables and relics to fill the British Museum ten times over.

Spiffster posted:

Madhouse should be any zombie bite is an instant death or zombification after a certain length of time. Just go full hog on this why don’t we.
I always wanted something like this in the series as an extra feature, at least as far as the zombies go. What better way to turn the most basic, clumsy shithead of an enemy into a potentially fatal encounter at any moment? V-ACT? Pah. Gotta wait for that to take effect and by then you're tooled-up to the eyeballs. I want my dose of fear now goddamnit.

catlord posted:

I've never gotten the controls in RE6 to feel good, no matter how I move it feels sloppy and kinda... hacked together?
That is one thing about RE6 I've noticed, but I guess you just get used to it eventually. Basic movement is nowhere near as precise as any of the previous or later games; even merely turning around sends you on a jog for several steps. I mean it's hardly a game that actually requires any precision positioning during regular play, but it's still a bit of a dog when it eventually does bite you on the arse because you're trying to show off but get slapped by something otherwise avoidable instead.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

RE6's big failing is the level design, not the gameplay mechanics. The gameplay mechanics are fantastic, but the level design is always trying to one up itself and throw you into scripted setpiece after scripted setpiece that it never really allows room for the core gameplay to be utilized outside of Mercenaries.

Well, that and the other big failing is that the game does a piss poor job in teaching the player how to play the game so people will approach it like RE4 or 5 and get pissed off that the old tactics from those games don't work the same way in RE6.
Yeah, the campaigns are really not much good at giving players any freedom to do what the controls actually allow except for those few moments where it just throws some monsters at you for a few minutes. Too many setpieces and being shunted down corridors with endless cutscene/QTE interruptions, etc. etc. to let the good stuff shine as it should. A real shame since RE6 has some really good monster designs that just don't get to do anything meaningful... unless it's Mercenaries.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

But it was an entirely different thing in those games, that at least made some relative sense given the setting and surroundings (find the required parts, combine parts with gun, if you don't find 'em then you're poo poo out of luck and have to make do without). There was no treasure hunting nonsense with some dickhead in a robe standing around, talking and laughing like a reject from Mary Poppins/Oliver! while you emptied your pockets of enough valuables and relics to fill the British Museum ten times over.

Re4 is resident evil meets zelda,the new aiming was a breath of fresh air and a justification for lots and lots of shiny jewels implausibly stuck in ridiculous places, i loved it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the merchant in 4 was there to give you a reason to poke around and explore. in 6 the only reward for exploration was yet more ammo you couldn't hold because goddamn they give you so much ammo and each ammo type consumed its own inventory slot.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
RE6 isn't a great game, but at least it fails in interesting ways. There's an essay to be written about it, I think.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Resident Evil 6 actually has a lot of REALLY well designed mechanics individually but no cohesive sense of design which really hurts it. It's very easy to point to a lot of incredibly clever or well-designed bit but not moments or mechanics that flow together naturally, especially when you consider the 3.5 campaigns. It's got more variety than basically any game on the market but is a good example of why variety doesn't go hand-in-hand with quality. It genuinely would have been a lot better if they'd chosen one, MAYBE two concepts and stuck with it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

As a criticism of it as a game in a long running horror series I totally get it, I just thought it was a drat fun game anyway. :v:

RE2make looks like the best of all worlds so far though.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

ImpAtom posted:

Resident Evil 6....It's got more variety than basically any game on the market but is a good example of why variety doesn't go hand-in-hand with quality. It genuinely would have been a lot better if they'd chosen one, MAYBE two concepts and stuck with it.

Yeah, but like 1/3 of the variety is QTE segments.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

you can just straight up turn off QTE so they dont particularly bother me

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
RE6 got a ton of points in my book explicitly for being the first Resident Evil game to let you turn off quicktime events. I have a raging hatred for those things so letting me opt out of them does a lot to endear it.

As for the game itself.... eh. It was... okay? Some parts were actually a ton of fun (Leon on the college campus) and legitimately felt like Resident Evil. Scrambling around in the car looking for a spare set of keys while zombies try to break out the windows? I liked it! The part where you set off the metal detector and then have to sprint for the closest defensible spot you can find while zombos show up all around you? Very cool. The part where you team up with a small group of survivors and desperately try to get a bus and escape from the city? Felt.... very, very ripped off from Left 4 Dead, but it was great! I truly felt the tension all the way throughout that entire segment. And, more generally speaking, I really liked some of the new counter-attack moves; saving ammo by ducking a zombie's swing, yanking the fire axe out of its hands, and then burying it in his chest? It was gratifying, and made you feel like you'd done something clever by not only being stylish, but also saving then-precious ammo for a riskier situation.

Sadly, Leon's campaign started going downhill quickly thereafter, and is pretty much crap once you hit the catacombs (and at all points from there on.) Chris's campaign and Jake's campaigns were total no-starters for me as well, feeling more inspired by the Resident Evil movies than any game.

The whole game starts strong, and is reasonably fun to play in Mercenaries mode later on as well. It just... falls apart way too quickly. Then everybody talks about how each segment of the game was worked on by a completely different team, it makes perfect sense. The tone of the game is just all over the god drat place.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Resident evil 6 sounds like a great game to just turn on and experience without worrying about how good or bad it might be

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

CrRoMa posted:

Resident evil 6 sounds like a great game to just turn on and experience without worrying about how good or bad it might be

I liked it for the sheer spectacle of it all and a solid co-op experience.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

CrRoMa posted:

But then you notice how bad it is so it becomes work just to not think about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I didn't know you could turn off the QTEs in 6! Does it include the "dodge incoming subway trains" segment and those boss fight QTEs too?

RE6 is "The Resident Evil Carnival Ride" basically. It rehashes everything and everyone you've seen in the previous games, the story is completely forgettable and unimportant.

The gameplay is basically the best version of RE4 style combat.

You will be forced to endure countless "OH poo poo THINGS ARE BLOWING UP AND THE THING YOU HID BEHIND JUST BLEW UP AND THERE'S A BIG MONSTER AND IT WAS BLOWN UP NOW BLOW UP THIS MONSTER OH NO"

It's a very soulless experience but an okay game. You want to play an RE flavored 3rd person action shooter go for it. There's a lot of content - it's the longest RE game yet.

EDIT: I replayed and completed RE 1 - 5 on all difficulties, but I don't wanna play RE6 anymore.

Vic fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 1, 2018