Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Castlevania: The Adventure | Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge

Hello everybody! It is time to end the trifecta of Game Boy Castlevanias with its final entry: Legends! But really, it should be just a single Legend, the legend of Sonia Belmont, first of the clan to hunt vampires.
Or rather, a single vampire. You know.

I'm starting with the story this time, because it is utterly tragic and honestly the most interesting thing about this game. This is entirely due to the strength of its protagonist, who outclasses Chillstopher in basically every way. Sonia Belmont was born with a special power around the time when Dracula first rose to power, her destiny being to eventually defeat him, probably. Honestly, the "special power" is vague as hell. The Castlevania Wiki says it's the ability to "sense spirits nobody else can see", which sounds honestly rather worthless. So I'll just believe Sonia is simply the only one to realize that poo poo is going down with that eponymous castle appearing in Transylvania und going to fix things by introducing ol' Drac to The Belmont Way. Oh, apparently Dracula also killed her grandfather whose last memento was a certain Whip so it's personal as well. Also also Sonia met a mysterious young man called Alucard who was looking for his father, possibly maybe in the direction of Castlevania. So she's got like three motivations to go in there and whip rear end. All of this info is barely in the game and manual, I got it off the Wiki who presumable translated the Japanese player's guide.

Sonia is wonderfully mobile compared to Chillstopher (she can change directions mid-air!). She can make weapons out of defeated enemies' souls. She's so badass she can just decide to become invincible and plow through all enemies, damaging them on contact. When confronting Dracula, Sonia isn't content with whipping him into a pathetic pile of vampire meat, she's putting him down with a neverending series of sick burns as well. Of course, she does all of that while 17, and obviously she is the first and only other female Castlevania protagonist besides Shanoa in Order of Ecclesia.

Please ignore that godawful back-pose and check out how cool she is in the others.

So, Sonia's the best. There's only two problems, none of them her fault.

This game is not very good.

And Sonia doesn't exist. After a cancelled Dreamcast Castlevania (Resurrection) which was supposed to star her around 2000, nothing more happened with her, and she was unceremoniously declared non-canon five years later because...well, let's just the series' creator tell us the reason.

IGA posted:

"Koji Igarashi didn't like the idea of having a female protagonist in the respective time period that Castlevania Legends takes place in, since it didn't quite fit with the motifs of a vampire story. He stated that: 'Legends remains something of an embarrassment for the series. If only that development team had the guidance of the original team of the series'"
Now mad respect to Koji for making the entire drat thing happen, but most of that is complete horseshit. First of all, really wanna know which "motifs" of a vampire story forbid women from taking part in the staking process itself. There's also some unsaid stuff about the game not fitting the "established timeline", but Adventure and Revenge didn't fit that either so they just said "whoops our bad" and retconned the years. Timelines are poison, anyway. Secondly, if the original team had made this game, it might have starred Chillstopher in a wheelchair moving at his slowest yet fighting yet more rolling eyeballs and I don't know if people would have been entirely ready for such a masterpiece. And this is why the story is utterly tragic.

IGA is bang-on with Legends being an embarrassment, however. Also, ouch.

Let's not beat around the bush, this is not what anyone expects from a Castlevania entry that was released in 1997. Yes, six loving years after Chillstopher's Revengeance, and after Symphony of the Night. Legends has only five stages plus a secret one, is linear to a fault, has singularly unimpressive music, terrible bosses and even worse stage and enemy design hampered by an engine that needed at least three more passes to be as solid as the second Adventures', and I can't believe I'm saying that. The previous entry is way, way more polished than this. Legends is an uninteresting and unappealing mess and a terrible capstone for a series that could have been a really cool example of the leaps and bounds possible by learning from your initial mistakes and rigorously fixing them. Though I guess as confirmed before, this was an entirely different team working on the game. They had done one other game before - Goemon on the Game Boy - and went on to make Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon on the N64. That was good, though, right? Maybe they needed the bigger platform?
Anyway, you could rightfully claim that Castlevania: Adventure was way more of a terrible mess than this, and you're absolutely right, and yet I wasn't nearly as down on the game as I'm on this one. Well, consider this: Adventure came out six months after the Game Boy's release and was a very...interesting exercise in cruelty sometimes. Legends competes with every other platformer that graced the Game Boy since then, but all that pales before its one critical fault: it's very, very boring.

I'm so sorry, Sonia.

Like before, I've played this blind. Unlike before, I'm also already done with playing it, so I can give you all those juicy details above. I'm also editing in important revelations into the videos themselves so you don't have to scream at past-me for not reading the OP. Initially I didn't even read the manual fully even though the game clearly expects you to, good call though because it spoils basically everything including all bosses. So click at your own discretion. For this thread though, please don't spoil without bars because the story at least has some reveals for us which I promise are juicy and ruin the game even further in my mind, poor Sonia.

Update Post 1

Update Post 2

Update Post 3

Update Post 4

Update Post 5

Update Post 6

*sigh*

Now, this is all subjective of course. And this soundtrack isn't bad, don't get me wrong. But Adventure and Revenge has face-meltingly awesome soundtracks with some absolute masterpieces, while Legends has...this. Some interesting remixes. A good boss theme. And some tepid garbage. The absolute worst thing about this, however, is that the music isn't nearly good enough to support being stretched out over levels that can take up to 40 minutes (!) to complete on your first pass. Hell, even Revenge's music compositions would be hard-pressed in this situation. But here? I'm loving sick of these tracks, I never want to hear them again. To spare you even more whining, I just...won't comment individually during the update posts.

Prologue

Bloody Tears (Stage 1)
Inside the Castle (Stage 2)
The Clock Tower of Darkness (Stage 3)
Highest Castle Floor (Stage 4)
The Castle Lord's Room
Underground Watercourse (Stage 5)
Dungeon of Silence (Secret Stage)
Dracula Castle Cathedral

Trap Room
Boss Battle
Gatekeeper (Mini-Boss)
Alucard Battle
Count Dracula Battle
Vampire Killer (Final Battle)

Ending
Epilogue

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Oct 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

The stage names are incredibly creative for this one. The stage, and this is something I could say about every stage in this game, is nothing to write home about. It's mostly flat, with a few enemies put in seemingly at random, and you really gotta strain to look for setups that were actually planned out to inconvenience the player in any way or make you work for your victory. The fights themselves are super easy, everything that doesn't die in one hit has a practically nonexistant AI, and I'm forgetting parts as I write.

The biggest feature of the stage are probably the trap rooms, which are a bafflingly stupid concept. They are foreshadowed by the candles being white, but design-wise, I fail to see their purpose: make you wake up after long minutes of nothing happening? There is ONE thing they could be there for, and that is teach you for how to unlock the secret stage, but even for that, I don't think they're needed per se. Also, later there's a trap room without a candle attached, so...?

I'm equally not fond of the special item placement, the Axe from the classic games, because it's a blind choice between the dead-end path and the progress path. There is no way to tell which is which, so you end up getting lucky or backtracking. Wait, you end up backtracking anyway because of the "dead end" thing. And the collectible doesn't even do anything - baffling.

The boss is named "Creatures Bat" and, according to the manual, artificially created via fusion of human and bat traits. That would explain why its legs are so stiff. Its pattern, like all of the bosses in this game, is dead simple and I won't bother to spell out any tactics. Whip it when it stops moving.

Music

Prologue

Bloody Tears (Stage 1)

Boss Battle
Trap Room

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Oct 1, 2018

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

lemme just ruin the boss theme for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zflY5K63-wM

yeah there we go

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

How many times has Konami declared that a given Belmont was "first"? I know we have Sonia, whozit from Lament of Innocence, and then the most recent entry of Gabriel from Lords of Shadow. At least we're not dealing with the absolutely silly bullshit that is apparently the Legend of Zelda timeline with three distinct branches all forking from Ocarina of Time.

Have you played Harmony of Dissonance? It's another game on the pile of forgettable Castlevania titles, and while it doesn't entirely deserve its reputation for being bad it also is by no means a good game. Still, I'd prefer to go back to it than to Circle of the Moon. CotM is more polished overall, and yet the grind and relative immobility are just torturous. (Aria of Sorrow is still miles ahead of them both, naturally.)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Lords of Shadow's explicitly not tied to the others though, it even has its own version of Simon in the 3ds game.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

NGDBSS posted:

How many times has Konami declared that a given Belmont was "first"? I know we have Sonia, whozit from Lament of Innocence, and then the most recent entry of Gabriel from Lords of Shadow. At least we're not dealing with the absolutely silly bullshit that is apparently the Legend of Zelda timeline with three distinct branches all forking from Ocarina of Time.

Have you played Harmony of Dissonance? It's another game on the pile of forgettable Castlevania titles, and while it doesn't entirely deserve its reputation for being bad it also is by no means a good game. Still, I'd prefer to go back to it than to Circle of the Moon. CotM is more polished overall, and yet the grind and relative immobility are just torturous. (Aria of Sorrow is still miles ahead of them both, naturally.)
I quite like Circle, actually, it's got its issues in the backtracking and repetitive areas design, but the combat is bang-on and the bosses are quite challenging and fun. Also, I like its artstyle because I never had to play it on original hardware, haha.

HoD can die in a fire for all I care, I played through all of it just so I can complain with full authority: it is insanely boring from start to finish and way too long for how utterly unfun it is to play. I bought the original for a friend as a gift once because the box art looked awesome, and to this day I regret having lost contact with that friend because I still feel the need to apologize.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!
No castlevania Games, not even a 3D one, can hold a candle to this baby in terms of the worst Castlevania Game ever. I've played this straight up garbage, and never got past the first boss, nor did I ever want to. I am really curious to see how this game could go worse.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

NGDBSS posted:

Trevor/ Ralph in Dracula's Curse, the first to defeat Dracula, Sonia, in Legends, and Leon from Lament, the first of the clan to fight vampires.

Circle is another one they struck from the official record, though they could have resolved it just by saying "This one wasn't actually Dracula" since he has gently caress all to do with things compared to Camilla.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Everybody knows teenage girls are the best vampire slayers.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
Been a long time since I've played this one. I forgot just how bad some of those sprites were. I mean yeah, the bats and boss weren't so bad, and there probably isn't much you can do with the worms, but those shadows and spearmen are just awful. They look like something that would be on one of those cheep things where you could see where all the sprites might be even when the thing was powered off.

As for the merits of other Castlevanias, I actually kinda liked HoD. It's not the most original in design or plot, but it had an interesting special weapon system with the way the books could alter the subweapons. CotM was crap. Way too over-reliant on luck for getting any equipment, the hero was slow as Christopher while playing in a massive metroidvania, and even if you were lucky enough to find spell cards a lot of the time you wouldn't even know what the combos did unless you looked it up. I know they offered different stat builds to allow you to play the game different ways after the first time through, but if I had such a miserable time the first go around, why would I bother? The only thing I'm willing to grant it was the different elemental variations of the armor enemies could be interesting. That's it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I think I was the one to request the blind run :getin:.

There are definitely worse Castlevanias, but...not many. Judgement, for one.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Edvarius posted:

Been a long time since I've played this one. I forgot just how bad some of those sprites were. I mean yeah, the bats and boss weren't so bad, and there probably isn't much you can do with the worms, but those shadows and spearmen are just awful. They look like something that would be on one of those cheep things where you could see where all the sprites might be even when the thing was powered off.
A Game&Watch?

Even the worms (my wife said they look more like leeches, actually) are super crappy because they are in a completely different style from the rest of the sprites. They have super sharply defined outlines, whereas most of the other sprites are deliberately muddled at the edges.

quote:

As for the merits of other Castlevanias, I actually kinda liked HoD. It's not the most original in design or plot, but it had an interesting special weapon system with the way the books could alter the subweapons. CotM was crap. Way too over-reliant on luck for getting any equipment, the hero was slow as Christopher while playing in a massive metroidvania, and even if you were lucky enough to find spell cards a lot of the time you wouldn't even know what the combos did unless you looked it up. I know they offered different stat builds to allow you to play the game different ways after the first time through, but if I had such a miserable time the first go around, why would I bother? The only thing I'm willing to grant it was the different elemental variations of the armor enemies could be interesting. That's it.
HoD has some interesting ideas and systems, but there's no reason to do anything with them because there is no level design. Like, at all. It's all flat corridors and one...or no enemies in them. The castle(s) is way, WAY too big for how little is actually in there, and backtracking is completely uninteresting because there's nothing to be gained by fighting enemies - it's neither fun nor rewarding. The bosses are also all so easy I can remember exactly zero of them, and of course it looks and sounds like complete rear end. Admittedly it's been quite a while since I played it, but I don't think my opinion would change much if I revisited it.

My biggest issue with CotM except for the already mentioned repetitiveness of some areas (though it's WAY more varied in geography and enemy placements than HoD is) is that you need to double-tap to get a move on, and that's a little annoying after a while. If you always do it, the movement speed is fine, though.
And you can't hate a game where you can make your whip into a rose whip with thorns. That's fabulous and I love it a lot. I get that collecting all the drops is a serious pain in the rear end, but just the few combinations I happened to find randomly were already fun enough to play around with. I never finished it because of some hard bosses and I'm always a little hard-pressed to motivate myself to get deeply into games I just emulate, but I still liked it enough to try it twice and never got really bored. Maybe if I can find a used cartridge at some point...

To bring it back to the topic at hand...

Discendo Vox posted:

You gently caress! I thought this one was interesting because of your request, not poo poo! Serves me right for assuming the best of people :negative:.

It's fine though, I had fun recording it, but just playing would have been torture. I'm also having fun editing the videos, so all's well. Still, the flaws we already saw in Legends will only become more apparent as the game goes on: there is no level design. It's just corridors with random platforms and enemies. In a sense, pretty much exactly like HoD with (system's fault, I guess) less bells and whistles...

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I am curious if it would make sense that the whole game was meant to run maybe 20% faster, other than the timer.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

NGDBSS posted:

I like the Aria of Sorrow explanation that Dracula's castle is a thing of Chaos and does what it pleases. The gently caress does it matter which was the "first" Belmont? Maybe Dracula decided to get all chronoturge about things and kill the Belmonts off early and that's why all the different flavors of armor show up in a game that's technically before Trevor Belmont times!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Simply Simon posted:

A Game&Watch?

Or one of the Tiger Electronics games.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Good to see you LPing more Castlevania games! I never heard of this one and after watching the first chapter... you're going to suffer because it looks really bad. :getin:

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

I'd rank this one below Judgement. Judgement is stupid in many ways, but it's reasonably fun to actually play. Plus, any game that references the Boku Dracula-kun series can't be ALL bad.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I had the Tiger Castlevania game. I think the graphics were a bit better than this game, mostly. The bats looked like bats, at least.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

Nidoking posted:

I had the Tiger Castlevania game. I think the graphics were a bit better than this game, mostly. The bats looked like bats, at least.

Tiger Games are not Castlvevania. Tiger Games are their own categories. They deserve their own LP/Games Thread to talk about how cheap and awful they are.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Told you about the creative stage names.

It's been four days or so since I edited this video and I had to watch it again just to remember the stage. It might be even less memorable than the first because that at least had the (stupid) trap candles, this one has...badly programmed Boo skulls...? That's like double spooky. Consider this in the spirit of Halloween or something.

Oh, right, it's super dumb how the "secret" passages in this game work. It's going to get even worse as the levels get (how???) even longer.

The boss (Death Dragon :krad:, slain by Drac himself then resurrected!!!) might be quite difficult if it didn't die so fast. I think it'd be fine if I was just more patient, however it doesn't require me to learn it, so...why should I?

Music

Inside the Castle (Stage 2)

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

For that gap you couldn't get across, I want to remember from my brief testing of this game once upon a time that Sonia also gets faster when you activate burning mode, which should allow you to make that jump.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Right! That must be it! I will finally activate BURNING MODE in the fourth video, and Sonia does indeed gain a significant speed boost. So you have to sacrifice your one activation of invincibility to heal, when you could instead use it...to prevent getting hurt. I love the logic of this game.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

This stage is a tragic travesty. Or a travestic tragedy. It's a loving Castlevania Clock Tower, it's meant to be serious poo poo, and in Legends? It's, like, three moving platforms in total, which is somehow the entirety of those in the entire game. I have never seen a platformer that just eschews the idea of moving platforms instead of going "well they're technically an obstacle". I thought just putting random moving platforms somewhere was the most lazy way to design a jumping puzzle or whatever you want to call it. I was wrong.

This stage convinced me that this game is boring garbage, and I adjusted the editing accordingly. You're welcome to join me in mockery.

Apart from how terrible it is that there is nothing to the stage at all, there's not much else to say. They go for "rope poo poo" like the other Game Boy games (and because of stuff like this, how the whip upgrades work and other small things like the [atrocious] password system, I do consider these games a trilogy), but do it worse than Adventure, somehow. Revenge nailed it, but Legends, as almost always, just doesn't get it. The rope dudes are so loving bad, I want to cry.

EDIT: Jesus Christ I completely forgot to comment on the boss. It's DEATH and I forgot to comment on him. That's all the comments this guy needs. Freakin' non-memorable AI-challenged "Grim Reaper" Death. How utterly pathetic.

EDIT˛: Right as I make the final updates, I realize I have artwork of the dragon miniboss in this stage lying around unused. Guess who forgot about ANOTHER boss?! It's in the update and OP images now.

Music

The Clock Tower of Darkness (Stage 3)
OF DOOM!

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 20, 2018

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

This stage is a tragic travesty. Or a travestic tragedy. It's a loving Castlevania Clock Tower, it's meant to be serious poo poo, and in Legends? It's, like, three moving platforms in total, which is somehow the entirety of those in the entire game. I have never seen a platformer that just eschews the idea of moving platforms instead of going "well they're technically an obstacle". I thought just putting random moving platforms somewhere was the most lazy way to design a jumping puzzle or whatever you want to call it. I was wrong.

My guess about the Clock Tower not having moving platforms is that it's a limitation of the GameBoy, with regards to how many moving objects can be on the screen at once.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Kheldarn posted:

My guess about the Clock Tower not having moving platforms is that it's a limitation of the GameBoy, with regards to how many moving objects can be on the screen at once.

You can 100% animate background tiles without it being an object.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

The 1991 releases Super Mario Land and the first Adventure had more moving platforms, falling platforms and enemies on screen at once than Legends. Another reminder that Legends is one of the last Game Boy games released, contemporary to Wario Land II, way after the entire Donkey Kong Land series, after Super Mario Land 2, after all the Game Boy Mega Mans including the insanely impressive-looking IV and V. It came out after Pokémon, any system limitations had been pushed to the absolute limits by that point. There is no excuse for the game being as empty and terrible-looking as it is.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

OK, then I guess it was due to a lazy/bad dev team.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Well that was something. Never seen a Castlevania game sporting the Ninja Gaiden Enemy Respawn problem.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
this game makes me sad, Simon

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Blood Sally posted:

this game makes me sad, Simon

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Already forgot everything about the stage again. Okay, I edited this video before a two-week vacation, but still. There's some moving ropes that are a pain in the rear end to use but hey, a level gimmick?!??!?! They can, but they don't most of the time. The spiders are a semi-interesting enemy which would be right at place in the first or second level of an actually good game. The big sword knights can suck my nards, I have no idea how they work and I suspect the game doesn't either.

Aaand I just remembered that there's a miniboss in this stage. Actually had to go back and change the picture for that because drat, Medusa. What a non-event.

First glimpse of BURNING!!! mode.

A severe "lol" at Alucard. The boss that might be a roadblock if you couldn't loop him easier than Luigi Raceway in Mario Kart 64. Also, what the gently caress is his role in the story? He meets, befriends and sleeps with Sonia, at some point leaves her to deal with devil dad but tells her about Castlevania and where to find it, apparently just expecting that she's like "cool, see you later bae, good to know that you're not in the local whorehouse"? Then when she actually shows up after having fought through all of the castle (remember: top floor), he gets super indignant and thinks she's tooootally not up for Drac. Sonia then humiliates him so hard that he decides to sleep for a hundred-odd years like that's a reasonable response to a rough whipping session he wished for himself. IGA probably erased Legends from the timeline because Alucard is so pathetic in it. Even Sonia doesn't try to convince him to stay awake instead of scurring away tail between legs. What a loser.

Also, thanks for mentioning the trap door, rear end in a top hat. You're lucky Symphony and your contributions in CV3 are so good.

Music

Highest Castle Floor (Stage 4)
The Castle Lord's Room

Gatekeeper (Mini-Boss)
Alucard Battle

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 20, 2018

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Quick LP organization question: I just edited the next video, it's the final stage (but not the final video! Ooooh) and it's 35 minutes long. There's a good cutoff point 12 minutes in, so I could easily split it there to make the thing a little more watchable. But if you guys prefer a longer episode, that's also fine with me, just tell me what you want :).

While deciding, you can also check out the footage of the canceled Resurrection I found which would have been Sonia's second game. Gotta say, after seeing that outfit, especially the skirt situation, I'm kinda glad that she got spared that further humiliation...

EDIT: Oh hey they give her some pants in later pictures!

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Oct 16, 2018

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm fine with a longer video.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

A 35 min video is far from long considering other LP's I watch so go ahead with it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Commander Keene posted:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Personally, I like the shorter video format.

Also, it's a good thing you weren't playing as the Castlevania: The Adventure version of Chillstopher, or that 1-Up would have vanished long before you got to it...

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Same.

Also, I could barely tell what Sonia looked like with how bad the video quality was.

Then I saw some of the concept art. "Huh, those blurs look like they're supposed to be censoring something, but theyre not quite in the right place, must just be the video quality...."
*10 seconds later*
"nope, guess that's where they think nipples are."

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I could only make it half way through that video and it's bad porn soundtrack. One thing I noticed is that her legs are messed up there, too. I guess Sonia just has bad legs. :shrug:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

A severe "lol" at Alucard. The boss that might be a roadblock if you couldn't loop him easier than Luigi Raceway in Mario Kart 64. Also, what the gently caress is his role in the story? He meets, befriends and sleeps with Sonia, at some point leaves her to deal with devil dad but tells her about Castlevania and where to find it, apparently just expecting that she's like "cool, see you later bae, good to know that you're not in the local whorehouse"? Then when she actually shows up after having fought through all of the castle (remember: top floor), he gets super indignant and thinks she's tooootally not up for Drac. Sonia then humiliates him so hard that he decides to sleep for a hundred-odd years like that's a reasonable response to a rough whipping session he wished for himself. IGA probably erased Legends from the timeline because Alucard is so pathetic in it. Even Sonia doesn't try to convince him to stay awake instead of scurring away tail between legs. What a loser.

Also, by the timeline, Alucard hadn't been born yet. His mother hadn't even met Dracula in 1450. Further, it's pretty weird that the Belmonts were a legendary clan of monster hunters who the church had to go crawling back to in 1476 when, with this game, Trevor would only be the second Belmont to hunt monsters.

It really doesn't fit, is what I'm getting at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
That cutscene before the Alucard fight is like a reversal of the Maria battle in the Saturn/PSP versions of SOTN. I guess that's cool?

• Locked thread