Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Lockback posted:

Like the poster above they think there is a still a price premium, or confuse M.2 SATA with NVME.
there are people in this very thread that think the 1000 4KQD1 IOPS an NVMe drive has over the MX500 is significant enough for a typical home user to be worth splurging on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

Atomizer posted:

The "don't buy m.2 SATA SSD" thing comes up frequently in this thread, and while it's wrong, you can be genuinely helpful if you explain (copy & paste if necessary) what you recommend instead and why, because that information is going to people who aren't as familiar with the technology as the rest of us are.

I don't get why this is so hard. My recommendation is to ensure everyone understands that m.2 does not automatically mean NVMe. People are routinely confused.

I said "don't buy m.2 SATA" to a poster who wanted NVMe.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

crazypenguin posted:

I don't get why this is so hard. My recommendation is to ensure everyone understands that m.2 does not automatically mean NVMe. People are routinely confused.

I said "don't buy m.2 SATA" to a poster who wanted NVMe.

We all agree that there's unnecessary confusion between form factors, interfaces, types of NAND flash, etc. However, in this thread, there's also an irrational bias against SATA m.2 SSDs, for previously discussed reasons like "it's more expensive than 2.5," "it's slower than NVMe," etc. Even if you meant "don't confuse NVMe and SATA m.2," you literally wrote "don't buy m.2 SATA" which is wrong on its face, and is by your own admission isn't the message you intended to convey. I don't get why it's so difficult to just write "don't confuse NVMe and SATA m.2" which is clear and correct; it actually helps that poster and makes it obvious to everyone else that you're not an irrational SATA m.2 hater.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I find that funny because m.2 SATA is literally the only thing in the world that is giving us laptops with much faster than spinning disk storage at a reasonable cost and bigger, better batteries at the same time.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
My eyes literally rolled out of my head.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

There isn't an irrational bias against M.2 SATA drives, they were just always more expensive than their identical performing 2.5in brethren. The prices syncing up for a lot of models like literally happened this month, and for a lot of models M.2 still has a price premium.

Also, who gives a poo poo?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Death to all m.2 SATA drives.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Bring back mSATA to end all this confusion!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Rest In Piss, SATA Express

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Rexxed posted:

Bring back mSATA to end all this confusion!

I have an empty mSATA to 2.5" converter :(
It will probably never find a mate

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Bob Morales posted:

Yeah, I bought a cheap Samsung 480GB mSATA disk for my Thinkpad T420 when they were presumably dumping them to move to M.2 production and it's going to live there forever. I'll probably use the laptop for a while yet, anyway.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Real laptops use SAS

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Why is the 860 EVO cheaper than the 850 EVO? Both are 500GB 2.5" drives.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Tamba posted:

Why is the 860 EVO cheaper than the 850 EVO? Both are 500GB 2.5" drives.

Sometimes older components get marked up as the supply dries up.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Also the price of SSDs has crashed since the 860 was released and the older models haven't had their prices adjusted accordingly since it's the same with Crucial's MX300/500

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Great, I'll get the 860 then. Thanks.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
960GB ADATA XPG SX8200 NVME $209 + you get 41 Rakuten Bucks
https://www.rakuten.com/shop/adata/product/ASX8200NP-960GT-C/

This is a budget NVME, but still has SLC cache and DRAM, it's reviewed quite well. This is from ADATA via Rakuten, so comes with a 5 year warranty and less likely to be a box filled with pig iron.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Lockback posted:

This is a budget NVME, but still has SLC cache and DRAM, it's reviewed quite well. This is from ADATA via Rakuten, so comes with a 5 year warranty and less likely to be a box filled with pig iron.

And two weeks ago I paid $180 for a 860 EVO. Prices crashing almost too fast. :sigh:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm glad that I didn't spring for the 1TB 970 Evo when it was just released not so long ago. It cost 439€ back then, finally got it beginning of the week for 290€. That's kinda ridiculous.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Rexxed posted:

Yeah, I bought a cheap Samsung 480GB mSATA disk for my Thinkpad T420 when they were presumably dumping them to move to M.2 production and it's going to live there forever. I'll probably use the laptop for a while yet, anyway.

Note that eventually you guys will probably want to retire an old laptop and pull the still-usable mSATA SSD, so you might very well be able to fill a mSATA-2.5" adapter (or even just a mSATA-USB enclosure) and find a use for an old SSD, even if it's an obsolete form factor like mSATA.

Lockback posted:

Also, the 480 GB version is often available for $100 with a 15% off code if you don't quite want to spend $200+.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Just had a bit of a scare with Crucial M4 in my mid-2012 Macbook Pro. OS hard-locked, rebooted, no drive visible to the computer. Tried another drive and it was visible. I was about to order a replacement when I came across a forum post about resetting the M4 by leaving the computer powered on to BIOS (or in the Mac's case, boot selection screen) for 20 minutes, powering down, removing the drive for a minute, then putting it back in. Did that and voila, the drive's back and seemingly fine.

Buuuuuut now I'm concerned about it. Has anyone experienced this with an M4 and found it to be perfectly fine afterwards? Should I go ahead and replace the drive anyway? Would I see better performance out of a newer SSD like an 860 Evo or an MX500, which are both nicely priced on amazon?

Thanks, folks.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Luceo posted:

Just had a bit of a scare with Crucial M4 in my mid-2012 Macbook Pro. OS hard-locked, rebooted, no drive visible to the computer. Tried another drive and it was visible. I was about to order a replacement when I came across a forum post about resetting the M4 by leaving the computer powered on to BIOS (or in the Mac's case, boot selection screen) for 20 minutes, powering down, removing the drive for a minute, then putting it back in. Did that and voila, the drive's back and seemingly fine.

Buuuuuut now I'm concerned about it. Has anyone experienced this with an M4 and found it to be perfectly fine afterwards? Should I go ahead and replace the drive anyway? Would I see better performance out of a newer SSD like an 860 Evo or an MX500, which are both nicely priced on amazon?

Thanks, folks.

The M4 was the reason that Crucial was on the avoid list in the old thread. This was a known flaw in that drive that starts showing up after 5200 hours of use. So as far as data integrity it's ok, but IIRC they never really fully resolved the wonky stuff going on with that drive. You may run into this problem again.

At the very least you should update the firmware.

On a 2012 macbook a newer SSD isn't gonna do much to make it feel faster, that thing is just old. However, I personally wouldn't feel great having an M4 in my primary system.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Crucial BX200 or whatever was $38 on slickdeals yesterday for 256gb, just buy a new one

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Klyith posted:

The M4 was the reason that Crucial was on the avoid list in the old thread. This was a known flaw in that drive that starts showing up after 5200 hours of use. So as far as data integrity it's ok, but IIRC they never really fully resolved the wonky stuff going on with that drive. You may run into this problem again.

On a 2012 macbook a newer SSD isn't gonna do much to make it feel faster, that thing is just old. However, I personally wouldn't feel great having an M4 in my primary system.

Old, but still does everything I need it to. I'd like a new one, but Apple doesn't seem to want to make one I want to buy. :negative:

I've updated the firmware, but we're way past 5200 hours. The drive has been going strong for six years, and I'm pretty sure I bought it because of a recommendation from the old thread, probably before the issues popped up. :v:

I'm leaning toward replacing it anyway with those prices on the 860 and the MX500. Any recommendations on software that can clone my entire drive to the new one, including both MacOS and Windows partitions?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Macrium reflect, I think will do that. Whatever software that comes with the drive may as well.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

For a system of that age, consider a fresh install after switching from BIOS to UEFI firmware and enabling Secure Boot.

Clean out your persistent threats and become more resistant, all in one go

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just ran into a rootkit virus that somehow got passed secure boot. Well maybe it didn't get passed it, it replaced the EFI loader in the first boot partition with something else. Interesting anyways.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

There's a paper on actual UEF firmware tampering first being detected in the wild. Google LoJax; it's basically russian LoJack as the payload of what at first brief read though looks like a clever path though UEFI features. I've been at a conference and haven't given it a serious read yet.

Altering a boot partition by escalation to system and arrest of protective storage driver features is more mundane, that's been around even for W10 on secure boot

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 28, 2018

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Bob Morales posted:

Crucial BX200 or whatever was $38 on slickdeals yesterday for 256gb, just buy a new one

I think the BX200 was the bad one (maybe?) but it's long gone and they're up to BX500 now (I have no idea if this is a good drive I mostly buy samsungs now):
https://slickdeals.net/f/12091417-c...s?src=frontpage

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

yeah the BX200 was super trash

the BX500 is this generation's z400s, a no-frills no-dram drive that's often seen at bottom of the bin prices yet doesn't critically underperform. The problem with it is that most of the time the MX500 is only 10-20 dollars more expensive, so it's really only worth it when it itself is on sale for like 12-13c/gb

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

It was the BX300 (quite a good drive actually, MLC + DRAM.)

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Is there a chart somewhere that shows us NAND type, DRAM y/n for drives?

I guess the NAND part is usually in the specs on retail sites but the DRAM thing isn't as easy to find.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Seamonster posted:

Is there a chart somewhere that shows us NAND type, DRAM y/n for drives?

I guess the NAND part is usually in the specs on retail sites but the DRAM thing isn't as easy to find.

Heh, I actually asked about this a couple months back. The answer's no, but we really should make one! You can often pretty easily find the info by googling it, but failing that you can ask here and probably get an answer.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
A good place to look is Storage Review - they always make a point of 'dissecting' their review SSDs and pointing out all of the minutiae.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Aren’t the HP EX920s considered to be good?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I like it! It reviewed alright too!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

LRADIKAL posted:

I like it! It reviewed alright too!

Cool! Because it’s $199 for the 1TB NVME drive which seems like a steal.

Are we expecting the prices of drives to continue to crash?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Tariffs going to run any Chinese sourced ones up 15-25% any time now. Others could also increase, but balance that with flash prices coming down.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

LRADIKAL posted:

Tariffs going to run any Chinese sourced ones up 15-25% any time now. Others could also increase, but balance that with flash prices coming down.

Wouldn't matter where's is the source, everyone on this gay earth is gonna pay more because *~.capitalism.~* will find any big enough convenient excuse to jack up prices.

In other news, there's now a Gloway brand 120/240GB SATA SSD at mid tier SATA performance and otherwise completely unremarkable, except for the fact it's the first retail SSD to use 100% Chinese designed and 100% Chinese fabbed controller and 32-layer 3D NAND.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I can get a cheap Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III drive. would be used exclusively as an external storage drive for my Xbox. Are they OK to use? reviews from storage reviews seem fine.

Do I need to get a 'good' USB3.0 enclosure or is any one OK?