Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Would I need to pull the switch out before I put the alcohol in the switch? I’m assuming yes, but it’s just if I don’t I can do it tonight rather than waiting until tomorrow. Would I have to pull it out for contact cleaner?

Basically I have a soldering iron and 70% isopropyl (30% water). I don’t have contact cleaner or the solder sucker thing you posted upthread. Trying to figure out what I need to get tomorrow or if I can do it tonight. I also don’t have a switch disassembly tool so I have to pull the switch off the board before I can take it apart. And since I’m not making a hobby of working with these things I don’t want to buy one if I don’t have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Would I need to pull the switch out before I put the alcohol in the switch? I’m assuming yes, but it’s just if I don’t I can do it tonight rather than waiting until tomorrow. Would I have to pull it out for contact cleaner?

Basically I have a soldering iron and 70% isopropyl (30% water). I don’t have contact cleaner or the solder sucker thing you posted upthread. Trying to figure out what I need to get tomorrow or if I can do it tonight. I also don’t have a switch disassembly tool so I have to pull the switch off the board before I can take it apart. And since I’m not making a hobby of working with these things I don’t want to buy one if I don’t have to.

With enough drying time you could do it with the switch in place, but I'd recommend higher than 70% on it, I'd go for 92% or better (I've been able to get that at a pharmacy without weird looks, but 99% you have to ask for I guess). If you're willing to let it dry longer you could use the stuff with more water. Most of the switch components are gold plated so water shouldn't oxidize them. Anyway you'd be getting a little alcohol in a straw and dripping it into the switch while you tap it to get it in there and loosen whatever's causing it to gum up. This can trap the liquid inside the switch hence the drying time comment. I guess you could also depress the switch with a tool or something to keep it down and somewhat open to let it dry inside a bit better as well.

Personally I'd desolder the switch and take it apart and clean inside just to be sure I did the best could in trying to fix the switch before replacing it, but I can understand that you don't want to waste resources if you don't have to so give the alcohol a shot and see if it helps.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Beta testing a Minidox build with some acrylic plates. Haven't soldered anything because I'm waiting on a polished stainless top plate and kailh pro burgundy switches. I am loving addicted to on-demand laser cutting services, guys... they're so badass I just can't help myself.

Anyways, I really like the layout. The vertical stagger is way nicer to type on than a straight ortholinear like my knockoff Let's Split. I just don't really like the main thumb button. I think it either needs to be a stabilized 2U button, or a 1U that follows the arc of the other 2 thumb buttons... which I can totally make and order myself plate-wise, but for the PCBs I need to learn Eagle or some poo poo and I'm not looking forward to that.

AgentCow007 fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Sep 23, 2018

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
God dammit that looks boss

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
That's easily one of the best things I've seen in this thread.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Any owners of the Leopold FC660C looking to spice up their keyboard with a custom case?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Anyone got a keyboard they'd recommend? Have had a Sidewinder X4 since 2013, exactly 1 year and 1 month since I bought it. It still works well, but I want something new.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
How have you had a kB for 5 years but also 13 months?

Get a CODE from WASD

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Any owners of the Leopold FC660C looking to spice up their keyboard with a custom case?

My mini USB port is broken and I don't know who to send it to to get fixed. :c

e: $260.00 hahahahahahaha nope

Qubee
May 31, 2013

HEY NONG MAN posted:

How have you had a kB for 5 years but also 13 months?

Get a CODE from WASD

Meant to say 5 years and 1 month, oops.

I was gonna order from Amazon, but it doesn't have the CODE from WASD. Any other recommendations? I can't be arsed using one of those "best keyboards" guides, would rather trust a Goon and get what they're happy with.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Qubee posted:

I was gonna order from Amazon, but it doesn't have the CODE from WASD. Any other recommendations? I can't be arsed using one of those "best keyboards" guides, would rather trust a Goon and get what they're happy with.

check out Durgod, I like my Taurus K320 a lot - https://kprepublic.com/collections/durgod

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Qubee posted:

CODEs on Amazon are by WASD. I enjoyed my CODE Clear for awhile, and got it from Amazon. e: oh, I see that their current stock is absolutely awful / disappearing now.

Just recently upgraded to a Massdrop CTRL, this thing is very impressive so far, and I ended up getting lucky on the quality control side of things it sounds like.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Wasabi the J posted:

e: $260.00 hahahahahahaha nope

Don't click the Monolith option then :ohdear:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Don't click the Monolith option then :ohdear:

Holy gently caress hahhahahaa

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

onesixtwo posted:

Just recently upgraded to a Massdrop CTRL, this thing is very impressive so far, and I ended up getting lucky on the quality control side of things it sounds like.

I have the K type, which is nice but lacks some of the programmability I want. Waiting on someone to add LED support in QMK for it, since the drivers are there now. I tried but I don’t know enough about this poo poo to do it.

I also ordered a high profile Alt, which is basically my ideal keyboard. Arrives in May.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I’m thinking on getting in on the GB for SA Symbiosis 2.0 for my yet to build order an build Iris / Ergodox.

Anyone got experience with MoQ for GBs?

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Anyone know of any Europe based store that sells good keyboards with non-US layouts (specifically Swedish layout)?

wasdkeyboards has the code keyboards with swe layout but the international shipping is like $60-$70.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

netcat posted:

Anyone know of any Europe based store that sells good keyboards with non-US layouts (specifically Swedish layout)?

wasdkeyboards has the code keyboards with swe layout but the international shipping is like $60-$70.

https://mykeyboard.eu/ is based in Belgium and carries nordic and german layouts. Ordered my Pok3r from them and they’re fast with handling /shipping.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

EVGA Longoria posted:

I have the K type, which is nice but lacks some of the programmability I want.

It's a shame because it's all probably planned out, but they have only 1 guy working on KLL as a side project.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Now that I've ordered a set of caps for my CTRL, I'm anxious for them to arrive so I can actually try it out vs my K-Type. It looks like QMK is a significantly more robust language where I can actually get the mapping I want out of it, as opposed to KLL where one of my mappings is fundamentally broken. I've heard a lot of people complain about it, but I guess I'll see firsthand when the caps arrive.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

netcat posted:

Aside from mykeyboard.eu, you can try https://candykeys.com. They are based in Germany. Shipping to my country was very fast. They respond promptly to inquiries.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.

netcat posted:

https://www.maxgaming.se/ these guys carry a pretty decent selection of mechanical keyboards too, based out of Sweden too and as far as I know they do Nordic layouts on everything except a couple specific keyboards.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Are (mechanical) keyboards with blanks still a niche thing? I’m thinking about replacing my old keyboard, but I’m only seeing a tiny handful of keyboard designs with blanks for the places that ship within Europe. Wish I could just go with WASDkeyboards and customize myself.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
You can get blanks from sites like banggood and aliexpress and they ship worldwide.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

rarbatrol posted:

It's a shame because it's all probably planned out, but they have only 1 guy working on KLL as a side project.

Yeah, it’s in the spec definition, it’s just not implemented yet. Very disappointing.

I check the github every week or so and get disappointed to see nothing but Kira work.

It’s a shame because KLL is actually awesome for configuration, I prefer it to QMK in most ways. It’s just lacking features. Just give me state programming and I’ll be good.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

LochNessMonster posted:

https://mykeyboard.eu/ is based in Belgium and carries nordic and german layouts. Ordered my Pok3r from them and they’re fast with handling /shipping.

Lord Stimperor posted:

Aside from mykeyboard.eu, you can try https://candykeys.com. They are based in Germany. Shipping to my country was very fast. They respond promptly to inquiries.

forkbucket posted:

https://www.maxgaming.se/ these guys carry a pretty decent selection of mechanical keyboards too, based out of Sweden too and as far as I know they do Nordic layouts on everything except a couple specific keyboards.

Thanks. Maxgaming actually looks like they have a pretty large selection, for some reason I thought they only had those ugly Razer keyboards and whatever

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
My buddy is looking for a $30-ish (up to $50 if it's from eBay) mech keyboard with "Cherry-MX Red" like switches. Preferably RGB backlit.
I've been all over the internet and I can't find a single thing I'd recommend him. He likes my Monoprice mechanical keyboard (gateron reds) so I gave it to him, but now he wants one for home.

Does anyone have any experience with cheap-ish mechs?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My buddy is looking for a $30-ish (up to $50 if it's from eBay) mech keyboard with "Cherry-MX Red" like switches. Preferably RGB backlit.
I've been all over the internet and I can't find a single thing I'd recommend him. He likes my Monoprice mechanical keyboard (gateron reds) so I gave it to him, but now he wants one for home.

Just type what you want into amazon, they all come from the same china OEM's and will all be a little wonky.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

If he can adjust his expectations a bit - no rgb, small footprint -, show him the magicforce 68. It's a popular entry that I regularly see for around 30 to 50EUR.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is the keyboard I have https://amzn.to/2NgnTjB
e-element Z88. it is RGB and will let you do individual backlights for the keys or use a preprogrammed mode.
you can use the "Beiying K870 keyboard driver" software to customize your lighting layout if you want.

It came with Red's that I switched out for browns.. (I like the tactile feel better). it was USD 49.00

I picked this one up and use it at work (I harvested the browns out of it and put them in my z88) and use reds with it at work.
https://amzn.to/2DNWDt6

This looks like only blue and brown are available though for this brand.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Lord Stimperor posted:

If he can adjust his expectations a bit - no rgb, small footprint -, show him the magicforce 68. It's a popular entry that I regularly see for around 30 to 50EUR.

He at least wants backlit (white if not RGB) and not tenkeyless.
I mentioned the magicforce as a cheap possibility and it got shot down for no numpad.
Too bad Monoprice is sold out of the keyboard I gave him because I think he'd be happy with another one of those.

tater_salad posted:

This is the keyboard I have https://amzn.to/2NgnTjB
e-element Z88. it is RGB and will let you do individual backlights for the keys or use a preprogrammed mode.
you can use the "Beiying K870 keyboard driver" software to customize your lighting layout if you want.

It came with Red's that I switched out for browns.. (I like the tactile feel better). it was USD 49.00

I picked this one up and use it at work (I harvested the browns out of it and put them in my z88) and use reds with it at work.
https://amzn.to/2DNWDt6

This looks like only blue and brown are available though for this brand.

I recommended the second one you linked. Maybe he'll like browns? who knows. at least he can swap the switches out and not have to buy something that says "Master Race" on it.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 2, 2018

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The red were smooth and not what I was looking for in a keyboard to bring forth the clackening... The browns just feel more clackening ey

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Tecware Phantom 87

I have this. Its nice and fits your bill. Only reason i chose this over the other chinese sub $50 boards were because it has now obvious logo.

Edit: Didnt see that you dont want tkl, here is the full version TECWARE Phantom 104

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 2, 2018

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I ended up jumping on that Massdrop CTRL when it was up, both for trying out a TKL for the first time, and because yay modular board when I can't decide what switches I want.

Got a big selection of Kailhs and ended up going with box whites and some MaxKeys SA caps:

The thonks from typing on it are really really unlike anything I've tried before, in a really really good way, and I've had at various points cherry blues, browns, alps SKCM white, buckling springs, and a topre board.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
Any opinions on the gamma zulu soft tactile vs cherry browns?

Is Das Keyboard overrated ?

Last time I cared they were all the rage. I've been using a dell RT7D00 keyboard I stole from university for the last 7 years. Im rich(er) now and want to get a new one. I do a mix of gaming and typing.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Kudaros posted:

Any opinions on the gamma zulu soft tactile vs cherry browns?

Is Das Keyboard overrated ?

Last time I cared they were all the rage. I've been using a dell RT7D00 keyboard I stole from university for the last 7 years. Im rich(er) now and want to get a new one. I do a mix of gaming and typing.

Das Keyboards were nice when there were only a couple of companies making mechanical keyboards, like Cherry, Filco, Das, etc. Now they've got cringey advertising and cloud features that nobody should want in a peripheral that will probably last 20+ years. If you want one of their keyboards for the build quality I'd avoid all of that garbage and see if they sell one without... this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjk-Ins1odM

You should probably get a WASDkeyboards, CODE, Corsair, Cooler Master, or maybe a Logitech (although their Romer-G switches are a little different). There's hundreds of mechanical keyboards now which makes selection more difficult, although if you can find a switch you like that will narrow it down. For mixed use coming from a rubber dome a lot of folks settle on brown switches. I like clicking so I went for blues, then realized they felt too light and switched to greens. Some folks have gone from brown to clear in the same fashion but again there's a ton of keyboards and switches available now that a few other companies are copying Cherry's switch bodies and putting in different springs and mechanisms. You may end up spending a lot of time browsing mechanicalkeyboards.com for ideas but it wouldn't hurt to try to get to a local store that has display keyboards out that you can touch so you can try to figure out what switches you'll like.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
Yeah I saw that cloud-based push notification deal. I've disabled most notifications on my phone, so that'd be a nightmare. I'm leaning toward this corsair k70 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823816080 .

I'm going to try out some keyboards at Best Buy and investigate further.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Beware Corsair... I seem to remember at least one of their boards is a hunk of poo poo.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Do you play games on Steam and occasionally plug in other USB devices? Google "corsair cue steam". Their keyboards are pretty decent, but their software and drivers are awful awful garbage. It wouldn't be so bad if you didn't need it, but a lot of the keyboard lighting and other features require the software to be installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Kudaros posted:

Yeah I saw that cloud-based push notification deal. I've disabled most notifications on my phone, so that'd be a nightmare. I'm leaning toward this corsair k70 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823816080 .

I'm going to try out some keyboards at Best Buy and investigate further.

K70 is the only keyboard I will even think about using because easy cleaning + volume roller/media keys puts it in a class of its own, aside from Azio knockoffs that are worse quality but the same cost.

It's loving insane to me that there are still full size keyboards that don't have dedicated media keys + volume roller. Pure business use is the only case where I can imagine tolerating a keyboard without a volume roller (since you just listen to music on your phone there), and ain't nobody buying mechanical keyboards for their secretary.