Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
I posted how to get nintendont working on this very page

edit: last page now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Excellent. Thanks!

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/newhax-frogminer-100-free-b9s-cfw-11-8-us-eu-jp.519512/

Free 3ds homebrew method now!

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

Hammer Bro. posted:

I'm actually considering doing the opposite. Is the only special consideration for 1.0.0 (aside from not burning fuses, which everyone might have) to make sure to not update the cart slot?

Yeah, but really will you want to play games on a lower firmware?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

What if the 1.0.0 warmboot hacks still require the browser from Puyo Tetris S which is only available via the cart?

Especially with homebrew, I like having options way more than I like actually using any of those options.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

Hammer Bro. posted:

What if the 1.0.0 warmboot hacks still require the browser from Puyo Tetris S which is only available via the cart?

Especially with homebrew, I like having options way more than I like actually using any of those options.

You can install fakenews without Puyo or even use TX OS to load Puyo

But yeah it's easy not to burn your cart fuse, but I did before it was widely known

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Nice.

I bought JP Puyo before the scene had settled 'cause I didn't want to end up paying Cubic Ninja prices again, and also I've had my regular Puyo Puyo Tetris loaned out indefinitely (they play it pretty often at work).

As I found out earlier today when trying to create a jig, my household contains no paperclips. I was having trouble with threaded wires and folded tinfoil and whatnot, then I found you can use PegaSwitch to boot into RCM on 1.0.0 units.

Now that the sun has set I'm beginning the multitudes of backups.

Edit: Make sure you're using a modern MicroSD card here. Write speeds are a thing.

Hammer Bro. fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 1, 2018

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

By free do you mean you don't need a flashcart? People there are talking about how it uses some free software instead of the paid one that was used before, but does it still need a cart?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I haven’t been keeping up; you don’t need a jig anymore to hack Switch?

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

Empress Brosephine posted:

I haven’t been keeping up; you don’t need a jig anymore to hack Switch?

If you're on 1.0.0 you don't and if you're on everything else (unless it's a recent ipatched Switch) you only need it once if you install autoRCM

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
You never needed a jig to hack a switch, you just need to hold a metal wire to one of the pins. Then use hekate or whatever to brick your switch so it auto boots into RCM.

Lol if you bought a jig for 5 bucks just to save you the 20 seconds of looking down the rail with proper lighting, or even worse, 3d printed one yourself

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Not everyone wants to risk touching the wrong pins and frying it

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Nonviolent J posted:

Not everyone wants to risk touching the wrong pins and frying it

You can't fry anything if you don't connect two different pins with the metal wire for some reason. :confused: Which you don't have to do and actively have to try to achieve.

Just touch the right pin with a metal wire and hold it in your hand. Magic.

edit:

Here's a picture, just touch Pin 9 (the yellow one) with a metal wire, ignore all others. Even if you miss slightly and touch pins 10, 8 or 7 instead, nothing will happen aside from RCM not working. Believe me, i've tried. Missed a couple of times on my first tries.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Oct 1, 2018

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Well with my GameCube adapter coming with Smash. Guess I’ll finally hack my Wii U. Anything I need to do to get started other than buy Brain Age or something? It’s safe to update to get access to the shop right?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

As far as a Switch jig goes: I don't have the manual dexterity to gently caress around with wires each time, and I didn't trust paperclips and homemade jigs to not cause undue mechanical wear on the pins. So, I bought a real joycon rail on ebay for like 10 bucks and soldered the appropriate pins together.

A little extra money and effort, but I know for drat sure I'm not damaging the console now.

azurite fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 2, 2018

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Keen. I might do that if I somehow ever lose AutoRCM.

But finally, after far too many hours, I have a custom wallpaper on my Switch. Eventually I might be able to rock some Wiishop music in the background as well.

Though I had to use ReiNX for the LayeredFS support since the Atmosphere I grabbed didn't seem to support it. I'm sure it's just a matter of putting fs_mitm.ksp somewhere appropriate or maybe editing a config somewhere, but I can't seem to find enough info to figure it out myself; everyone seems to have it out-of-the-box.

Anyone know how to enabled LayeredFS in Atmosphere launched from a reasonably recent Hekate?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Elman posted:

By free do you mean you don't need a flashcart? People there are talking about how it uses some free software instead of the paid one that was used before, but does it still need a cart?

None of the seedminer methods need a flashcart.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

What is this exactly? A new type of CFW? I've read the op and the page it links to and I still don't understand

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's an exploit method.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The Switch is now officially supported by RetroArch

https://www.libretro.com/index.php/retroarch-1-7-5-introducing-libnx-switch-version/

What this means is that the RetroNX homebrew emulator that was forked off of RA has been merged back into the main branch. It doesn't mean a lot right now, but hopefully this will mean more developers giving a little attention to the Switch port when updating cores and such.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I never turn off my switch anyway so needing to do the pin thing once in a while doesn’t seem like a big deal

Andrast fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Oct 3, 2018

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

Andrast posted:

I never turn off my switch anyway so needing to the pin thing once in a while doesn’t seem like a big deal

Yeah it's really only if it crashes and has to be turned on again

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

What is this exactly? A new type of CFW? I've read the op and the page it links to and I still don't understand
Steelminer/Steelhax is a method for installing the homebrew channel, and Frogminer is a method for using the homebrew channel to install CFW. Simple version:

- download Steel Diver: Sub Wars from the eshop (it's f2p)
- pop your 3DS SD card into a computer
- copy the longass unique userid string from the name of a specific folder
- paste that string along with your friend code into a form on a site that brute-force extracts a .sed file
- upload that .sed file to another site that uses it to generate a hacked Steel Diver save
- put that save in the right directory on your SD card
- fire up Steel Diver and bam, you're in the homebrew channel

Frogminer steps:

- open the homebrew channel and launch Frogtool
- use Frogtool to export a copy of the DS Download Play application from your stock firmware
- upload that exported .bin and the .sed file from the Steelminer method to a site that generates a hacked version of the DS Download Play application
- launch Frogtool again and select the option to import that hacked .bin you generated
- start DS Download Play, which is now actually a hacked Japanese copy of the Flipnote Studio DSi app
- follow the guide to launch b9stool from within Flipnote Studio
- you now have full CFW without needing to dick around with flashcarts and magnets

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
I’m having a problem with RetroPie on Switch where my game saves and save states get lost when I leave the app, even if I have auto save checked. I save the game, make a save state, and it should auto save. I reopen the app....nothing.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Big Word posted:

Steelminer/Steelhax is a method for installing the homebrew channel, and Frogminer is a method for using the homebrew channel to install CFW. Simple version:

- download Steel Diver: Sub Wars from the eshop (it's f2p)
- pop your 3DS SD card into a computer
- copy the longass unique userid string from the name of a specific folder
- paste that string along with your friend code into a form on a site that brute-force extracts a .sed file
- upload that .sed file to another site that uses it to generate a hacked Steel Diver save
- put that save in the right directory on your SD card
- fire up Steel Diver and bam, you're in the homebrew channel

Frogminer steps:

- open the homebrew channel and launch Frogtool
- use Frogtool to export a copy of the DS Download Play application from your stock firmware
- upload that exported .bin and the .sed file from the Steelminer method to a site that generates a hacked version of the DS Download Play application
- launch Frogtool again and select the option to import that hacked .bin you generated
- start DS Download Play, which is now actually a hacked Japanese copy of the Flipnote Studio DSi app
- follow the guide to launch b9stool from within Flipnote Studio
- you now have full CFW without needing to dick around with flashcarts and magnets

OK thank you! Pretty hilarious how people keep finding new entry points

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

RandomFerret posted:

The Switch is now officially supported by RetroArch

https://www.libretro.com/index.php/retroarch-1-7-5-introducing-libnx-switch-version/

What this means is that the RetroNX homebrew emulator that was forked off of RA has been merged back into the main branch. It doesn't mean a lot right now, but hopefully this will mean more developers giving a little attention to the Switch port when updating cores and such.

This is what got me to pull the trigger on finally getting my Switch set up. It was pretty easy to get going. The Retroarch release is pretty impressive, as well. The sound is a little wonky, but I imagine they'll fix it soon.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
How easy is it to set the switch up for reiNX? The only homebrew stuff I've done so far is using checkpoint to backup my saves.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

If you have an RCM jig ready to go, it's super easy. Just set aside some time to perform a backup of your NAND.

https://reinx.guide/

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
I've got a jig and backed up the NAND some months ago. Should I make a more recent backup?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Nah.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I’m a regular person who doesn’t follow ‘the scene’ so I updated to 11.8 not aware of changes.

I think I’m hosed now. I have the “failed to apply 1 FIRM patch(es)” message, putting a new boot.firm in the SD root like everyone says fixes it did not actually fix it, and SafeBS9Installer fails to load because the SDcard check gets an “init failed”.

Godmode9 lets me browse my presumably hosed firmware, but that’s all that works.

I guess I’ll take a known working SD card that’s formatted to the library and install all the tools fresh and see if it works, but I think it’s time to put my 3DS in a drawer and forget I owned it. Which is sad because with the DS Flashcart that has all the DS games I own on it, it’s like I’ve owned a super-portable.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

Nonviolent J fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 19, 2018

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Any news on 3DS Homebrew lately? I hadn't updated my firmware because I heard they patched in something that can flag you with a modded system but it's annoying to dismiss all the time. Am I safe to update? I have a couple freeshop games that I had on carts.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Stan Taylor posted:

Any news on 3DS Homebrew lately? I hadn't updated my firmware because I heard they patched in something that can flag you with a modded system but it's annoying to dismiss all the time. Am I safe to update? I have a couple freeshop games that I had on carts.

Update luma. Update the system. Don't go on the internet with your stolen games.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

And More posted:

Update luma. Update the system. Don't go on the internet with your stolen games.

Right on. So just disable wifi altogether as long as I have them on there? Or specifically don't try to play them online?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Stan Taylor posted:

Right on. So just disable wifi altogether as long as I have them on there? Or specifically don't try to play them online?

The latter I think. I've been doing it for years and I'm not banned

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Stan Taylor posted:

You’re probably fine as long as you’ve been doing the usual careful steps of:
- Disable wifi while you’re doing homebrew stuff/playing games you don’t own
- Disabled the “let people see my game history stuff”
- Only use online components of/in games you own officially (so, you know, pokemon)

I still use pokemon bank in my actually-owned copy of UM and I’m not banned, yet

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Atmosphere is now out even though it's kinda moot at this point

night slime
May 14, 2014
Does Brain Age VC go away after you use it for modding? I downloaded it but I don't see it anymore where it was. I want to get smart!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Nonviolent J posted:

Atmosphere is now out even though it's kinda moot at this point

One thing I was never clear on was: Does Atmosphere modify the firmware so you don't need RCM, or do you still need to use RCM to start CFW every time?

I have a feeling it's the latter.