Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
https://files.catbox.moe/06q3zv.webm

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Thunderbolt Fantasy is a Taiwanese wuxia glove puppet show made by Pili International Multimedia (a Taiwanese company that has been making shows like this since the 90s), with writing from Gen Urobuchi (Madoka Magica, Psycho-Pass, Kamen Rider Gaim) and music from Hiroyuki Sawano (Gundam Unicorn, Attack on Titan, Promare).

Unlike Pili's normal shows, which have a single voice actor performing all roles (to represent the historical single puppeteer, even though today the shows have multiple puppeteers and dozens of people working on the detailed puppets and sets), the Japanese dub of Thunderbolt Fantasy (which is what's getting an international release) has individual VAs for each character whom you'll most likely recognise from other shows; for example, Aoi Yuuki voices a sexy evil sword in season 2.

The show itself is about the adventures of a handful of accomplished fantasy martial artists who get wrapped up in an evil sect's (the Divine Order) plot to get their hands on a number of very powerful magical swords in order to rule the world. Our main characters are Shāng Bù Huàn/Shō Fu Kan (every character has both a Chinese and a Japanese version of their name), a boorish but kind-hearted vagabond who claims to come from beyond the uncrossable Wasteland of Spirits and just wants to be left alone, and Lǐn Xuě Yā/Rin Setsu A, a master thief and colossal rear end in a top hat. Unfortunately for Shāng, Lǐn keeps finding ways to trick him (and a colourful cast of friends and foes) into doing his dirty work for him.

From season 2 onwards, Shāng is also reunited with Làng Wū Yáo/Rōfu Yō (modelled after and voiced by TM Revolution, who sings his songs and a chunk of the show's music), a wandering bard who followed Shāng all the way from their homeland of Xī Yōu and fights with soundwaves produced by his magical talking pipa, Líng Yá/Ryōga, who can also transform into a sword.

Season 3 acts as a direct sequel to the first season, second season and second film, featuring several returning characters including Juǎn Cán Yún/Ken San Un from season 1 (now promoted to core cast member), a young, idealistic martial artist who just wants to help but is unfortunately extremely out of his depth.

Where Can I Watch It?

Crunchyroll has the international distribution rights for the series: https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/thunderbolt-fantasy

The show consists of two completed seasons so far with a third currently airing, and two prequel films:
  • The Sword of Life and Death (released between seasons 1 and 2) shows the origin of Screaming Phoenix Killer's grudge towards Lǐn;
  • Bewitching Melody of the West (released between seasons 2 and 3) covers Làng's origin story and the tale of how he first met Shāng.
It's recommended you watch the show and films in the same order they were released, since each film builds on the events of the season preceding it.

All seasons and films currently released are available to stream on the Crunchy page linked above.

:siren: Season 3 started broadcasting on the 3rd of April 2021. :siren:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 25, 2021

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
The recap part of the movie is extremely good despite being a recap too.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
I randomly watched this stoned out of my mind shortly after air and fell so deeply in love that i finished it in two nights, I also wouldn't have had any idea there was a second season without this thread

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's actually amazing how sane and chill screaming phoenix killer was, in hindsight.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

the only crime is that the Screaming Phoenix Killer will never return, owned to death forever by the mysterious "Enigmatic Wind"

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Can Of Worms posted:

The recap part of the movie is extremely good despite being a recap too.

Yeah, it's great. It's the only time I've seen a "recap" that was actually worth watching.

Anyway I'm real glad that this season is going to be all about dealing with Shang Bu Huan's past. I like the new characters introduced so far - the villains are cool and I really like that Lang Wu Yao and Ling Ya are old friends of Shang Bu Huan.

I'm also a big fan of the fact that Lin Xue Ya is completely absent from the season so far, hopefully never to come back. :rip: Screaming Phoenix Killer, you were too good for this world

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 2, 2018

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'm also a big fan of the fact that Lin Xue Ya is completely absent from the season so far, hopefully never to come back. :rip: Screaming Phoenix Killer, you were too good for this world

Scheming in the darkness can not be considered real subterfuge
True strength is being able to mislead the eye under the light of day
Fact and fiction are opposites of the same sheet of paper
Who can see beneath the surface and glimpse my true nature

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Oh man, season 2 is happening?

I am ready for Anime Puppets like woah.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Aw yeah, this is probably going to be my favourite show of the season. I just love all the details on the puppets, its amazing. Each episode of this must have taken a long time to make.

Also can't wait to see how Enigmatic Gale will screw over people this season, he's an amazing character.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

The dashing, charming, intelligent and extremely-good-looking Gui Niao//(art name unknown), an inspector who was sent from central office and volunteers to help apprehend the notorious Xi You criminal, Shang Bu Huan.

Hmm, this guy looks familiar. Needs a pipe...

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I love music fighters and a talking instrument makes it even better. :rock:

edit: I'm going to assume the Jojo vampire looking motherfucker in the ED is the main bad guy

Sindai fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 2, 2018

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i never asked but i dropped the first series after the very strong first episode lead into a bunch of boring episodes (relative to an episode where a guy cuts his own head off) and stopped at like ep 4. did i miss more action? because there was so much walking and talking

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
you missed more action.

but the walking and talking was great and you shouldn't have found it boring, and it's weird to say it but thudfan is actually a character-driven show with awesome wuxia action instead of an action-driven show.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
But the action is pretty awesome.

I mean, you missed a dude's ribcage blowing out of his body. From his back.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Scheming in the darkness can not be considered real subterfuge
True strength is being able to mislead the eye under the light of day
Fact and fiction are opposites of the same sheet of paper
Who can see beneath the surface and glimpse my true nature

I'm glad this season translated all the introductory poems so far. A bunch of them just weren't subbed in the Crunchy release of s01.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Oct 2, 2018

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I just watched through all of the first season over the past two weeks. It was amazing, super hype for season 2!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's actually amazing how sane and chill screaming phoenix killer was, in hindsight.

Really makes you understand why he was so keen on killing that duck. He was going to turn everything around but that was never meant to be.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Anyone know if it's possible to get this in Mandarin with English Subs?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

P-Mack posted:

Anyone know if it's possible to get this in Mandarin with English Subs?

International distribution is only in Japanese (since it's Nitroplus handling this everywhere outside of Taiwan), and this is a Taiwanese show, so it wouldn't be in Mandarin even if you found it. Plus, the Taiwanese version doesn't have a voice cast the way it does in Japanese (it's voiced the traditional way, with one man doing all the male voices and one woman doing all the female voices).

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

decided to finally take a look at this series and laughed my rear end off in the first episode when the white haired dude bamboozled the bad guy with some kind of forbidden Vape Spell

these puppets are alright

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Lemon-Lime posted:

International distribution is only in Japanese (since it's Nitroplus handling this everywhere outside of Taiwan), and this is a Taiwanese show, so it wouldn't be in Mandarin even if you found it. Plus, the Taiwanese version doesn't have a voice cast the way it does in Japanese (it's voiced the traditional way, with one man doing all the male voices and one woman doing all the female voices).

I have to clarify this, since it's close but not quite and this is literally my mom's childhood here.

Thunderbolt Fantasy is based on the traditional puppets of southern Fujian, China, the closest approach to Taiwan. This area is rife with tiny dialects that are often mutually unintelligible- a saying about the area is "Go 20 kilometers, learn a new language." Both of my parents are from the area and they spoke two mutually unintelligible dialects as well as Mandarin, which could lead to some comical arguing when they got too heated and lost track of what language they were in.

Many of the people who fled to Taiwan during the split were from the area, and from them spread what is inaccurately referred to as "Taiwanese" but is more properly either "Hokkien" or "Minnan Proper" since it is still spoken by millions of mainlanders.The original dub for all glove puppet shows (and there are a lot of them) is always in Hokkien, as it has been since it was a bunch of dipshits in a cart in Fujian going street to street performing for tips.

Also traditionally there is only one voice actor because it's supposed to be a puppet show- one guy moving his hands and doing his own voices and narration. Obviously that's not what it is any more but tradition is tradition. This voice actor is always male.

The one thing they kept undubbed in the Japanese version are the little poems that introduce each character. If you want to get a sense of how the original sounds, listen to those- including the funny high pitched voice he does to portray the women.

K Prime fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 4, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Thanks for the extra context, since I'm definitely not an expert!

e; here's what it sounds like in the original Hokkien:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kadad5oYMg4

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 2, 2018

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

That is cool and interesting, thanks! Wikipedia is telling me there was also a Mandarin dub for mainland China, if I can track it down I'll report back.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This ep was fun and I'm looking forward to watching more adventures of Scruffy, and his friend Vapey, and his new old friend Twangy.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Ccs posted:

Hmm, this guy looks familiar. Needs a pipe...

You called?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's hilarious how vape wizard is using shang as bait to attract innumerable villains just so he can torment them

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

were the dramatic poses during the poem really necessary

wasn't he in the middle of a conversation

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's hilarious how vape wizard is using shang as bait to attract innumerable villains just so he can torment them

yeah this is basically his dream scenario

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yinlock posted:

were the dramatic poses during the poem really necessary

wasn't he in the middle of a conversation

Absolutely necessary

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I don't know why everyone keeps talking about the vape wizard, he's not even in season 2.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

I don't know why everyone keeps talking about the vape wizard, he's not even in season 2.

agreed, inspector vape puts no stock in things like "magic"

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Yinlock posted:

yeah this is basically his dream scenario

Sho has a conga line of people who need to be taken down a peg following behind him. It's like the gift that will keep on giving.

LunarCress
Feb 7, 2015

Not to mention how in the movie, he presumably thought that was they weren't showing up quickly enough, so he started telling everyone that Shang was a super cool badass.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

LunarCress posted:

Not to mention how in the movie, he presumably thought that was they weren't showing up quickly enough, so he started telling everyone that Shang was a super cool badass.

at least he refrained from public announcements about the codex. that'll have to wait until after he's worked his way through all of shang's old rogue's gallery.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

LunarCress posted:

tbf Shang is a super cool badass, it's not like he was trying to hide that part

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Yinlock posted:

agreed, inspector vape puts no stock in things like "magic"

In keeping with how Screaming Phoenix Killer can be read in at least two ways, I propose that we should call him Vape Inspector.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

theCalamity posted:

In keeping with how Screaming Phoenix Killer can be read in at least two ways, I propose that we should call him Vape Inspector.

it does kinda make it confusing as to if he's an inspector who vapes OR if he inspects vapes themselves, presumably for illegal wizardry

who can glimpse his true nature

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Oct 4, 2018

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Ok, just watched season 1 and the reveal in episode 12 made the whole thing worth it. Even if if the rest of it was crap (which it wasn't although the actual final battle was a bit meh) that moment made me mark out hard.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

that alone made shang my favorite character

shang: oh btw i was never using a sword this entire time

everyone else: what

shang: *explodes a dude's head with a tree branch*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

I wish this would go on forever

Yinlock posted:

that alone made shang my favorite character

shang: oh btw i was never using a sword this entire time

everyone else: what

shang: *explodes a dude's head with a tree branch*

They had been building up to this reveal for the entire show as well, by using a distinctive wooden "thunk" sound every time he sheathed his sword