Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

That Time I Got Reincarnated As A Slime is the 2018 TV anime adaptation of the light novel series by Fuse (writer) and Mitz Vah (artist) that has already been adapted into manga. The series has also recently launched a spinoff manga and announced plans for a smartphone game.

Synopsis
Satoru Mikami, 37, is a successful employee at a contracting firm who couldn't find much to complain about in life aside from the fact that he's single. One day while meeting a coworker he is stabbed and dies, but is reincarnated into another world as a slime (per a rather liberal interpretation of his complaints regarding his death). After coming to grips with his new body and the rpg-like world he is now in, he befriends the Storm Dragon Verudora and sets off to find more "Otherworlders" like himself.

Characters

Satoru Mikami (Human Ver.) - A rather successful and satisfied man, though he seems to have some weird ideas about how to use his second life. Dead.

Satoru Mikami (Slime Ver.) - A slime with the soul of human and strange rpg-like skills.

Verudora, the Storm Dragon - One of the four True Dragons in the world, sealed in a cave for 300 years by an otherworldly masked hero after "accidentally" turning a city to ash. Desperately lonely but too prideful to let it show. Ultimately agrees to be Satoru's first friend in this new world.

:siren:Spoiler Policy:siren:
Don't post untagged manga or LN spoilers, and preferably just don't post that stuff at all until it comes up in the show. Anything in the current episode is a-ok to be untagged, even if you're coming here fresh off viewing it. The airtime is provided below so assume any posts after that point could have spoilers/"spoilers" for the new episode.

Availability
The series is streaming on Crunchyroll worldwide with the exception of Asia. New episodes air Mondays at 8:30 AM PT/11:30 AM ET.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

first ep thoughts: this is the dry setup that i remember just kinda blasting through until the manga actually hooked me a bit later, but i thought the show did a great job of livening it up! Satoru is given a bit more character and *gasp* a face, in comparison to his kinda misanthropic and faceless manga incarnation. the juxtaposition of his death throes with Great Sage assigning him skills vaguely related to his complaints was a great bit of dark comedy too, seems kinda rare compared to the tone of the rest of the show. i also enjoyed that they render a lot of the less interesting skill acquisition/description stuff with kinetic typography and other (sometimes goofy) visual aids.

just based off the designs i can tell this should be a really lively and fun adaptation of material that i quite liked (and a bunch more material i have yet to read), and the OP is an impressive showcase of action we'll hopefully see further down the line. it seems like this will be a full 26 episodes based on Chinese streaming listings, though these generally include pre-planned recap episodes so i guess i'm only expecting 24 actual eps for now.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

First episode was promising, I really like what they did with the CG status effects and prompts. I'm coming in as a manga reader, If they can keep up what they have so far I think it'll be a pretty great adaption.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

This series is a shining exception to the rule: an excellent execution of the divisive isekai concept.

I hope the anime adaptation goes well!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
There wasn't even a truck! :colbert:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Not sure if the opening stuff would have been more or less draggy if I hadn't read the first volume (more or less idk how far I actually got) of the manga just this afternoon, but I'm glad it's mostly past the setup and can move on to the fun stuff now.

Good tsunderagon :3:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
They got really creative with the visuals to liven up the part where he's just a slime talking to himself, that was pretty neat.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

AnacondaHL posted:

This series is a shining exception to the rule: an excellent execution of the divisive isekai concept.

So it's on the level of Twelve Kingdoms or something?

e:

Hmmm... don't think so.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Oct 2, 2018

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I enjoyed the first episode, and the OP makes me hopeful for where this goes.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Knorth posted:

Maybe not, but still a very motivated isekai recruiter.

"Make your girlfriend happy. Also, blast my cache."

A bit slow for a first episode but hopefully all the skills stuff is largely out of the way, though the CG imagery helped keep it at least visually interesting. The lively animation for stuff other than talking to a mostly static dragon also helped, and it looks like it should be kept up later. Good to know that the cache was blasted.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 2, 2018

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
slime voice is cute. i kind of had it in my head that Great Sage was more of a greybeard, though this makes sense too

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I thought of it in a cool prince voice, so this wasn't a big departure for me.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
well that a lot of fun! cracked up at the "I almost became a sage! [SAGE SKILL UNLOCKED]" and the tsuderagon.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
It's an amazing thing where the protagonist thinking "Perhaps I should try to make things somewhat better." automatically rockets you up to the top of the isekai barrel.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This, accomplishments of a duke's daughter, bakarina, and sword dad are the isekai I'm enjoying right now, so it's good to see this looks to be a fun, improved adaptation similar to something like devil is a part timer.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

A crossover between slime dad and witch mom who killed slimes for 300 years.

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

I'm so glad this appeared to fill the Overlord-shaped hole in my heart. I followed the LN for a long while, then the manga briefly, but been years(?) and I've forgotten most of the details. I remember enjoying the ride and being really charmed and intrigued by the MC and dragon encounter.

dogsicle posted:

the juxtaposition of his death throes with Great Sage assigning him skills vaguely related to his complaints was a great bit of dark comedy too, seems kinda rare compared to the tone of the rest of the show. i also enjoyed that they render a lot of the less interesting skill acquisition/description stuff with kinetic typography and other (sometimes goofy) visual aids.

Much agreed. I think this is the best way they could have done this. The CGI slime parts were weird, but all it's very fun to look at.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

chumbler posted:

A crossover between slime dad and witch mom who killed slimes for 300 years.

:vince:

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

The kinetic typography and almost monogatari aesthetic is a nice way to spice up the great sage stuff (which would otherwise just be exposition).

I admit in my head great sage was more of a old man voice, but this is fine too.

Verudora best girl.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like trashy WN isekai stories, but almost all of the anime adaptations are utter poo poo.

IIRC Slime was one of the earlier successful ones that many other stories imitated, and is generally among the better, less-problematic isekais. (Though not as good as Konosuba, Sword Dad, Bookworm, or Spider Girl IMO)

Anime looks to be surprisingly good so far. I like the kind of Monogatari aesthetic they have going on. Opening death scene was a bit awkwardly paced and framed, but it's kind of awkwardly written so I guess that's just how it goes. Here's to hoping it actually holds together and stays decent.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

This was pretty cute and funny, and I'm willing to give it at least a few more episodes! Thank goodness his coworker followed through on his request ...

also what's sword dad

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

A Tin Of Beans posted:

also what's sword dad
https://mangadex.org/title/20338/tensei-shitara-ken-deshita

Guy dies and is reincarnated as a legendary sword

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Then, as is becoming isekai tradition, encounters a catgirl slave and ends up helping her out and she is grateful.

But unlike other bad isekai, he helps her as only a sword can, and makes sure the slavers don't stay a problem.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

cool, thank you!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I'm glad people like dad sword, it was one I just randomly came across and liked a lot.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah. There are a few scenes early on that worried me it would do bad things with his charge, but it's not done any fanservice stuff since iirc. The way it treats slavery is great, no quarter. Or, in some cases, all quarters :v:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

And I just read everything translated for the dad sword manga, all because of best slime. So far, good thread.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah I had a twitter friend recommend Sword Dad to me after I watched this too, lol. It's good fun.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
If he starts constantly using that phantom projection thing we might need to abandon ship.

Anime Marshal Tehat Meru posted:

We can ill afford another Usagi Drop!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Please do not insinuate romantic relations between a talking sword and his adopted catgirl daughter, thanks and gobbles.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Knorth posted:

A random guy running in to stab someone is like, even more of a "got hit by a truck" than actually getting hit by a truck. I know that makes no sense, but I've seen that exact bit of stabbery all the time in my precious mangas (including as a new development in one I just marathoned to catch up on tonight, my guilty pleasure manga domestic na kamojo), so it suits me just fine as an isekai-causing death.

Caught some of the manga on this one and liked what I saw generally, first episode was fine but didn't draw me in immediately. I remember it getting to fun times pretty quickly though, so I'll stay tuned on this one.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I hope you guys are right about this being fun. I can see the potential in the first ep and look forward to the next.

In the meantime, that sword manga is pretty good :3:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I just wish more of these series were finished, or that we had a centralized resource for manga that says “hey fucko it updated”.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you make an account on a reader site and follow a manga they will generally have some mechanism to alert you to updates tho??

There's also https://www.mangaupdates.com/index.html which is literally a centralized resource that tracks manga updates.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

also if you use a reader app like Tachiyomi, it might have an auto update function that would notify you when chapters of series you follow go up.

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Oh Professor, you'll bury us all!
The first episode was fun, but the OP suggesting that Slime-kun apparently acquires the power to turn into a young girl at some point did ring a few alarm bells for me.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Professor Irony posted:

The first episode was fun, but the OP suggesting that Slime-kun apparently acquires the power to turn into a young girl at some point did ring a few alarm bells for me.

as a light spoiler that i won't say anything substantial about the tone of how he comes upon that form is a lot more somber and not really played for laughs
i basically stopped reading a few chapters after that though so idk if that remains true later

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah i don't wanna go too into detail just in case, but it's just a genderless human form he gets that isn't treated that differently from his slime form.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Also they still hang out as a regular ol' slime a lot. Often while sitting on one of his compatriot's lap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Mostly because he doesn't want to waste energy in such an inefficient form as the human body