Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

readingatwork posted:

It’s basically a short from a Flight graphic novel expanded into a full series. It’s cute and well animated but not particularly innovative or challenging. I’m not hating it so far.

Oh! I’ve got a couple of the Flight books! They’re lovely anthologies of short comics and I recommend them highly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Hilda is nice enough. If you like color treatments, you'll love the aesthetic. It's very English. It's not ha-ha funny like Craig or Star, but it does have that kind of dry British wit. The elf character and their culture with bureaucracy is probably the funniest element of the show. The actual plot is decent enough. Nothing too surprising, but I can easily see it growing if it gets a few more seasons.

Agreed with the "it's not very challenging" bit. There is a foundation to take several of the things it lays out and actually do something challenging, though.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH6IBef79HA

The video for An Upbeat Inspirational Song About Life is so much awesome.

That's good stuff right there.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I never got around to seeing TTGTTM, but it's at least good to see a traditionally animated theatrical release enjoy success in 2018.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
promo for the OK KO/SU/Ben 10/TTG crossover is out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RSV0JNImTg

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Hey here's a somewhat TTG related question: why is Michael Bolton so good for comedy songs

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

Macaluso posted:

Hey here's a somewhat TTG related question: why is Michael Bolton so good for comedy songs

He knows the best form of (especially musical) comedy is to play it straight but up to 11, which is how he naturally makes music already.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The way he sings makes him sound completely sincere at all times which makes him singing goofy poo poo hilarious.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

THIS IS THE TALE

OF CAPTAIN JACK SPARROW

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

THIS IS THE TALE

OF CAPTAIN JACK SPARROW

Wow, you're a major cinephile

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Waffleman_ posted:

THIS IS THE TALE

OF CAPTAIN JACK SPARROW

Goddammit you beat me to it! :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI6CfKcMhjY

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
You can't link that one and ignore THIS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-4zFsL1KDQ

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The latest randomly-released episode of Miraculous ('Sandboy') was pretty drat good. It diverged from the usual format (we didn't even find out who the akuma victim was until the end, and it didn't really matter anyway), gave us more background on the kwamis and introduced loads of new ones!, had plenty of screentime for Tikki, Plagg and Hawk Moth, and gave the feeling that big things are about to happen as Hawk Moth gets closer to his goal. Turns out that in production order it was the last one before the season-ending two-parter, so the dominoes are being put in place. :toot:

Also nightmare Adrien was hilarious, especially the blatant "Heeeeeere's Johnny!" Shining riff.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Payndz posted:

Also nightmare Adrien was hilarious, especially the blatant "Heeeeeere's Johnny!" Shining riff.

A new episode is out?!?

(Also a super spoiler-y trailer dropped, with a super spoiler image from an unreleased image, and from what I've heard, they pushed Malediktor back to air AFTER the Queen's Battle duology.)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
How in the world does anyone manage to watch this show?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

There is no* forward momentum with the plot so I don't have to remember anything about what happened.

*very little**

**no

(Malediktor airing after Queen's Battle is the only major important episode order plot in the entire show so far really)
Also the animation is pretty and I like the two leads.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Ask the same of Steven Universe, Ducktales, Gravity Falls...

Good animated programming is just in their weird shitworld where stuff gets tossed out randomly or spaced out infinitely. It's because they care about app engagement.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Malediktor was rescheduled because Astruc publicly said "hey, that episode has to follow these other two, let TF1 know" and drummed up a fan campaign to delay its broadcast. Which must be the first time a show's creator has got the fans to ask a network not to air it!

Rewatched 'Sandboy', and realised that even depowered and reduced to Marinette in a spotty costume, Ladybug still jumps off a rooftop, trusting that Cat will A: realise her plan and B: catch her. drat, girl!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

Ask the same of Steven Universe, Ducktales, Gravity Falls...

Good animated programming is just in their weird shitworld where stuff gets tossed out randomly or spaced out infinitely. It's because they care about app engagement.

People are quick to blame execs but I seriously think a large part of it is that good animation just takes a while to make. Think like an executive for a minute and ask yourself if it's in a networks financial best interest to have 22 half hour episodes a year released on a predictable schedule or 7 a year released at random. The first is obviously better for audience retention and engagement but for some reason it just doesn't happen that way very often with cartoons. I suspect that the "bombs" that everyone hates are probably a way to make up for a naturally reduced and erratic episode turnaround by making the show an *event* that people will both remember and look forward to while, yes, also making the show more friendly to people who stream and like to binge a few episodes at a time. They could probably do more a year more consistently but that would require a lot more manpower and that can get very expensive very quickly.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

readingatwork posted:

People are quick to blame execs but I seriously think a large part of it is that good animation just takes a while to make. Think like an executive for a minute and ask yourself if it's in a networks financial best interest to have 22 half hour episodes a year released on a predictable schedule or 7 a year released at random. The first is obviously better for audience retention and engagement but for some reason it just doesn't happen that way very often with cartoons. I suspect that the "bombs" that everyone hates are probably a way to make up for a naturally reduced and erratic episode turnaround by making the show an *event* that people will both remember and look forward to while, yes, also making the show more friendly to people who stream and like to binge a few episodes at a time. They could probably do more a year more consistently but that would require a lot more manpower and that can get very expensive very quickly.

CN has been sitting on completed episodes for months and months.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

CN has been sitting on completed episodes for months and months.

Yeah, this is an entirely artificial problem created by higher ups, people are placing their blame pretty much right on the money.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
There's also the small issue of their holding pattern being "Air TTG until [AS] starts" which makes them a silly amount of profit from last I checked.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I like that CN keeps airing "sneak peeks" of Total Dramarama and they all consist of too-long clips from episodes that aired weeks ago.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I know about the financial motive to make total poo poo but does Canada actually have a domestic fambase for it?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Apropos of nothing, one of my favourite split-second gags: Milo Murphy's parents' bucket list includes 'five minutes of peace and quiet'.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Total Drama was pretty popular in both Canada and the US, but I'm not entirely sure what they're doing with this incarnation.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

PhazonLink posted:

I know about the financial motive to make total poo poo but does Canada actually have a domestic fambase for it?

Yes. Holy merciful gently caress, yes.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013
Right now, I'm spending my day trying to figure out why Ben 10 2017 Season 1 and We Bare Bears Season 3 (?) have suddenly appeared on USA Netflix. This is very weird to me, cause I've assumed that Hulu still had the exclusive rights to all the Turner shows, especially since the OK KO dropped on there like a month ago? So either that's expired, or someone at Netflix HQ made a mistake

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/ianjq/status/1046781856811630593

Speaking of OK KO, get in losers, we got a Ghoul School reunion.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

nerdman42 posted:

https://twitter.com/ianjq/status/1046781856811630593

Speaking of OK KO, get in losers, we got a Ghoul School reunion.

What's especially impressive about this is that they actually got all of the VA's for those characters who are still alive back to play those roles again

Also I bet a lot of the higher ups at CN were confused as to why Ian wanted to do a crossover with such a relatively obscure property of theirs, not surprising to me though

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So how has Rise of the TMNT gone? I've forgotten about it for a month and I'm getting mixed signals of its quality.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

April's memes are lit, I've heard.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Crabtree posted:

So how has Rise of the TMNT gone? I've forgotten about it for a month and I'm getting mixed signals of its quality.

the wrestling episode is the best one so far

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It's a drastically new, but surprisingly wholesome, team dynamic. The turtles respect and goof with each other a ton, their relationship with Splinter is far more like a sitcom's way of showing four boys and their single father. Animation is insanely strong at points. And it's just a fun show.

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

the wrestling episode is the best one so far

Also this.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Craig of the Creek is still cool. Deltron showed up.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The only thing that bugs me about Craig of the Creek is that Craig is kinda the weakest character. Kelsey's whole deal is fun and amazing, JP's funny as hell, and each of the side characters like capitalist girl, the nerds, the sewer kids, or the horse girls are fun, but since Craig is the main character, he's got nothing interesting going on and he's kinda just a dumb kid.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

He's smart, he's in advanced math.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Craig is basically the brains of their whole operation and it's a little different when it's the smart person being in the lead rather than as a secondary main character since it can't lean on the main character being dumb and running headlong into a situation and causing a problem or finding one that needs to be solved.

Edit: Actually, there are a few plots that comes about by Craig being dumb, but in more naieve sort of dumb rather than a idiot kind of dumb. Craig is a very pure and smart boy.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 2, 2018

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The Power Punchers episode is so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I applaud that their faux Magic The Gathering episode seemed like it was destined for a really tired and cringy plot, but managed to swerve away from it by going full yugioh.