Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote: D: Trigger Self-Destruct Sequence.

Since dusting off and nuking it from orbit is a viable option, this would be the closest alternative.

Also, I'd like to advise the thread to not take anything our paracasual friend says at face value, we can lie, so can he.

It makes no sense actually, why warn us of the two minute countdown, unless he wants us to do anything rash based on that information?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
The NPH’s threat hits the Auxiliary Legionspace as soon as its uttered, and you can hear Captain Okafor authorizing the redlining of Intrepid Dawn’s and Furious Twilight’s engines. Everyone can see that its not going to be quite enough, but it narrows the margin. If you can just give them another handful of seconds they’d be clear. You click Lt. Haile’s comm twice to get his attention and send the H/K drone over, leading 1st Recon towards the wall of the compound. Luckily the Lieutenant is quick on the uptake and follows the drone without comming you and giving up the play. That settled, you start flicking switches in Baby’s Core. Its go time for you.

[1:45]

One of the benefits of the EVEREST shell was that GMS eggheads have had almost five centuries to tinker with it, refining its systems. So while its baseline was your standard boring GMS default, it could withstand massive reactor overloads for short periods if needed. With one last deep breath, you hit the big red button that dumps the shell's core energy directly into the Hyperspec Fuel Injector. Radiator fins pop out of Baby’s back, already glowing dull red as her systems spike and level out. Grabbing the EVA control yoke, you slam it forward. Its not as fast as a jump pack, but redlining the jets eats up the distance to the ruined corridor and the guardian mechs. They’ve already turned slightly, preparing to fire at the infantry flanking them when you slam into the one wielding a piece of hull plating and a large earth borer.

[1:29]

Your impact forces the mech back, slamming it into the corner of the corridor and massive hangar door. You slam down the Deployable Cover, its its anchor-struts firing into any available surface as it unfurls. It won’t last long under determined fire, but that’s one mech dealt with for now. You spin Baby around, the EVA module making you pirouette in the microgravity. The last mech is turning back towards you, its drone system too slow for Baby’s amped up movements. Behind it you can see the H/K drone blowing holes in the facility walls and 1st Recon following quick, their EVAs on full burn.

[1:10]

Its closer quarters than the MC-MG is designed for, and Baby takes a pneumo-ram to the chest plating before you can wedge it into a convenient weak point and open fire. The heavy machine gun punches through the enemy mech’s (non-existent) armor and sends Core bits flying out the exit wound.

[0:50]

With the last bits of core energy burning through Baby, you aim a swing of the charged blade at the pinned mech’s head while providing covering fire for 1st Recon with the H/K. The charged blade goes wide, but you’re able to direct the drone well enough to shred all of the odd subaltern shells that approach the squads placing demo charges. They’re not to the Energy Source itself, but blowing the main flow coupler like they are should at least partially cripple L'Étranger’s big gun.

Except they’ve set the charges, and aren’t coming back. Spinning the drone around, you see why: a large security door has come down and blocked the corridor out. You watch as Lt. Haile touches the side of their helmet, and his comm channel chimes.

”We’re cut off Pilot, but I’ve set the charges for 30 seconds. Get clear, and make sure the job is done.”

[0:35][0:29]

A: Roger. Just…. Roger
Do as he says. Get clear and pump some HV rounds into the superstructure for good measure.

B: Get Down!
Use your ranged weapons to try and blow a hole through the security door.

C: Not On My Watch!
Use Baby as a battering ram, freeing 1st Recon and shielding them from the blast.

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006
C

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

AB. We don't know when we can get another Baby printed out so I wouldn't risk taking a large blast, but the least we can do is make some holes in the Bad Thing and hope some of those holes let our allies escape.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

With 30 seconds on the clock we should be worrying about when we might find the time to print out another Pilot River.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
B then C if it doesn't look like it'll work in time. Losing our mech might suck, but having more people around to do stuff for us has worked out pretty well so far. Again, free drinks.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

dont be mean to me posted:

With 30 seconds on the clock we should be worrying about when we might find the time to print out another Pilot River.

The explosion shouldn't be catastrophic. The infantry have mined the equivalent of the fuel lines instead of the gas tank. Big and nasty for anyone inside, but not Micheal Bay-grade.

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.
B.

River doesn't strike me as the sort to take a bad hand lying down (see the Catapult entry), but manna only buys so much loyalty.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
B #Merclife

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

B

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
C, and do it with style

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
B

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

B but make sure to say a cheesy one liner before opening fire. Something like "The little hand says it's time to rock and roll" or "This is my BOOM STICK!"

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

B

Worth a shot.
:rimshot:

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
C

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Azhais posted:

C, and do it with style

:same:

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

Azhais posted:

C, and do it with style

agreed.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoultryGeist posted:

[0:35][0:29]

Vote: C: Not On My Watch!

Mechs are replaceable; indeed, they're print ready, it'd be almost no effort to get Baby II.

Loyal men on the other hand, the kind like 1st Recon who are willing to sacrifice themselves for the cause, are not easily found.

Besides, we're blowing up fuel lines in a hard vacuum, how much collateral damage can it actually create?

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
C

Let's be a big drat hero!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

C

If we fail, we fail spectacularly!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Not Alex posted:

B #Merclife

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
B

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
So very brave. And so very unused to mech-scale weapons. The H/K’s algorithms are already feeding targeting data back to you through the nexus, the key points still warm from the lock motors activating. With a quick press of the firing stud the drone begins blowing out the latches, its ammo/gun c/c pairs adjusting trajectories mid-flight for optimal impact.

(Targeting vs E-defense: 16, Success)

1st Recon loses a few precious seconds watching as the momentum of the weapon-impacts causes the security door to fall over. You startle them out of their surprise with a squeal down the emergency alert. ”Solid-core hyper-velocity rounds are a hell of a lockpick Lieutenant. Now allez, bouge ton cul!”

They trigger their EVAs, jetting as fair as they can in the few seconds remaining. Using the Jericho as a springboard, you push off to assist your own module in getting out of the blast zone yourself.

[0:06][0:00]

The detonation of the infantry charges is visually anticlimactic, just kicking up a few small dust clouds. But your sensors register the momentary spike in power output, followed by a sharp dive to zero. You can also see the black sphere expand slightly, almost touching the pylons. Lt. Haile’s comm dings, relief evident in his voice. "Thank you for that Pilot, although it looks like the shaped charges minimized the blo-”

A plume of plasma erupts out of the pylon above you, raining rapidly-solidifying metal down on you all. Baby gives you an environmental alert, wild spikes coming from the Energy Source. 1st Recon has already taken cover, and you kneel Baby down in a stabilize position.

Its still odd to you, the lack of a boom or shockwave. Vac-ops are weird like that. But the blowout of the pylon’s Energy Source fusion reactor rains a great deal of shrapnel on the area. Baby rocks with the impact of several sizable impacts, but her board remains green. After the last of the debris pings of her hull, you stand her up and check out the area. 1st Recon is dusting themselves off as well, reporting mostly minor injuries to Legionspace. Nothing is left of the final mech, though the Jericho’s monitor software reports that it is damaged but repairable about a kilometer away. BOUDICA’s voice cuts through the residual EM static.

”Pilot, we made it to the MSD but sensors are picking up a gravitational disturbance above your position. Please confirm!”

Before you can snap at her about the difference between starship and mech sensor packages, Baby sets off another environmental alert. Your vertical camera feed is completely black, no Tyrant or star-field to be seen. Then it twists, and an immense starship hovers above you, far below a stable orbit. Its nearly a kilometer long and doesn’t fit any of the profiles in Baby’s com/con, showing obvious signs of modification by someone with more enthusiasm than skill. L'Étranger appears on a new holofeed. ”Well THAT was anticlimactic. Phase One FATALITIES only 32.8% of Best Case Estimates. ON to Phase Two I guess. See YOU in Phase Three Pilot River, say HELLO to Administrator Bainly for ME please.”

There’s a blast of EM static, and the great black sphere launches skyward, into an open bay of the unknown vessel. The entire ship turns black itself again(blinking, its entering blinkspace without a gate oh holy gently caress) and is gone.

”Well… gently caress. Did you get all that?”

Captain Okafor’s voice is tired but still firm. "We did indeed, Pilot River. I’m sending Furious Twilight out to make sure Tu- ah, the unknown vessel has truly fled. In the meantime, 2nd and 3rd Marine will be reinforcing you shortly. We still need to investigate the bunker itself, even if just to make sure this entity hasn’t left any more surprises. Are you and 1st Recon good to go?”

A: Yes sir, we’ll take point!
Go immediately to the bunker entrance, only repairing what you can on the go.
B: We’ll hold the LZ, need to make some repairs
Take a Rest (1 hour), fix everything
C: Yes sir, although I’ll be dismounting for a bit.
Take point with 1st Recon on foot, while Baby repairs
D: Actually, I think we need to get checked out. Rotate us out please
Go back to Intrepid Dawn for a medical/mechanical/computational check-up and a breather.

Note:
Baby is Lightly Damaged: can repair on the go
Jericho Deployable Cover is Severely Damaged: requires a Rest
H/K Drone Nexus is Lightly Damaged: can repair on the go

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
A Tip of the lance and all that. Plus these big lugs will try and nobly sacrifice themselves again if we're not around to inspire weasely self-preservation by example.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
A

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The weird ship's gone, the hosed up magic space-gun is gone, that bunker isn't going anywhere. Tell 1st Recon to take a knee and let's patch up our gear before we go knocking on any more doors (B).

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006
A

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

PoultryGeist posted:

"I’m sending Furious Twilight out to make sure Tu- ah, the unknown vessel has truly fled."

Wait, Okafor knows that ship?

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

dont be mean to me posted:

Wait, Okafor knows that ship?

dun Dun DUNNN!

But yes, it is something that River will have a chance to follow up on in a bit

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
C

Get some eyes on the target ASAP, Baby can catch up

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
D Who knows what screwed up poo poo that dude had boiling, might want to make sure he didn't dust us with nanos with those dodgey ultili-mechs

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A

Access to everything but the deployable cover sounds fine to me. Would prefer to stay in the mech if possible as we're super squishy out of it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Grognan posted:

D Who knows what screwed up poo poo that dude had boiling, might want to make sure he didn't dust us with nanos with those dodgey ultili-mechs

Agreed. We've done our heroics for the day, let's not look like a gloryhound or suicide-by-combat risk.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Grognan posted:

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Grognan posted:

Who knows what screwed up poo poo that dude had boiling, might want to make sure he didn't dust us with nanos with those dodgey ultili-mechs

Sounds like a valid concern but can we do a field scan or whatever to see if there's anything first? If there's anything to be worried about we should keepnit off of our ships.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
a time jumping joker-esque edgy dude? why take chances?

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

PoultryGeist posted:

The digital image shifts a bit, now looking thoughtful. ”AND I should punish you as well, as you’ve sided with the MONSTERS that murdered my children.

PoultryGeist posted:

Contact was lost with the colony ships Tumaini and Nguvu shortly after launch. 28 years after the projected colonization founding, Teagan’s World (the closest Core world to the Reach) receive a message from Nguvu and the new colony of Liyongo. A massive gravitational disturbance had caused extensive damage to Nguvu in transit, and it had taken the settlers several decades to recover once they reached their destination.

(Ed. Note: no sign of the Tumaini has ever been recovered)

PoultryGeist posted:

Captain Okafor’s voice is tired but still firm. [b]"We did indeed, Pilot River. I’m sending Furious Twilight out to make sure Tu- ah, the unknown vessel has truly fled.

I bet Nguvu repaired its damage using parts it stole from the Tumaini to complete the journey, leaving the crippled Tumaini for dead.

It sounds like the original crew of the Tumaini died and the crazy old ship’s AI is seeking revenge.

Given that it the grudge is several generations out of date I’m entirely unsympathetic. If the AI just wants revenge on all the descendents then they may be aiming to wipe out all 488 million colonists.

malbogio fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Oct 4, 2018

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
That sounds like a plausible theory but it doesn't explain where it got the mega-USHTABI or why it's breaching the fourth wall or how it's blinkjumping without a gate. The last two at least are things that are significantly beyond what a garden-variety AI (or NHP to use the polite term, for Non-Human Person) should be capable of, even one that's gone crazy. Whoever this thing is, it's either picked up some new tricks or made some new friends.

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.
B: We’ll hold the LZ, need to make some repairs

I'd say we earned our pay. Let's "look busy" for a little while and let someone else take point on nosing around the crazy death trap. It's not like there's an incentive to rush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

malbogio posted:

Given that it the grudge is several generations out of date I’m entirely unsympathetic.

Given that whoever we're dealing with seems to be all hosed up on paracausality, they may consider the murders to be very recent or even to have not happened yet.