Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

In regards to the ending of the second game being a convenient miracle I’ve always assumed that Izuru’s plan was always roughly what happened and not what Junko wanted. Notably Izuru in the flashback outright says he plans to use “her” (Junko) as she used him. Which brings me to the conclusion that Izuru did more than just upload the Junko AI but he also tampered in other ways so that their eventual victory works. It helps that both Nagito and Izuru have Luck as part of their talent, so of course the best possible outcome for them is the one that happens.

Basically Izuru’s problem is the world is boring and empty feeling as the Ultimate Talented Individual, and he has to know a little about how he came to be, so it isn’t odd for him to plan to cure himself by reverting to Hajime’s personality. Along the way why not cure the other Uptimate Despairs too. It’s worth noting that Hajime ends up effectively fusing with Izuru, so they’re both in his head at the end of the game, Chiaki is also in there for that matter.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Oh, also, is the Alter Ego in DR2 the same one from the first game?

There are two in DR2, Junko’s Alter Ego which is new, and the one from the first game who you meet during the final investigation and is meant to be Chiaki’s “brother”.

As another thing there’s actually 2 terminally ill characters in DR2, Nekomaru Nidai has a heart disease/problem that will supposedly kill him by age 21, it hasn’t presumably because of either Mikan or another medically inclined ultimate curing it, Nagito should also have died of his illness too as they’re all 22 at this point and his was fatal within 2 years or something.

Lastly DR2 contains the grossest thing so far, which is the revelation that after Junko's death the Remnants of Despair salavaged her body and replaced parts of themselves with parts of her. Notably Nagito has her hand and forearm, Fuyuhiko likely has her eye, and Mikan being Mikan either performed necrophilia or replaced her uterus and ovaries with Junko’s.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Oct 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Mikan, being Mikan, probably did both.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

dancingbears posted:

Minimaru is not actually Mechamaru/Nekomaru. It's just a little robot Kazuichi made to make the others feel better, and it can play voice clips that sound like Nekomaru. Akane keeps it (over Kazuichi protests) and it makes it to the end of the game, where it is deleted because it's just some code.

Mini is made from Neka. From FPzero's lp:

FPzero posted:

: This! It took me all night to make it!
: Is that a...Nekomaru doll?
: I'M NO DOLL! I'M...MINIMARU!
: M-Minimaru...?

: I took some parts from him to make it. What do you think? Awesome quality, right!?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Jesus Christ Kazuichi.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Lastly DR2 contains the grossest thing so far, which is the revelation that after her death the Remnants of Despair salavaged her body and replaced parts of themselves with parts of her. Notably Nagito has her hand and forearm, Fuyuhiko likely has her eye, and Mikan being Mikan either performed necrophilia or replaced her uterus and ovaries with Junko’s.

Wow, they stole entire chunks of Metal Gear Solid 2 for that game. Nagito is Liquid Ocelot to a tee, and the thing with Mikan sounds like something else Kojima would come up with. :ocelot::stare:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Ratoslov posted:

Jesus Christ Kazuichi.

Kazuichi being a creep is constant and consistent, although in this particular situation it was actually appreciated by Akane. He also at one point remarks that he wants to literally take a woman apart like a machine. Almost all of the DR2 cast are presented in a way that you can absolutely believe them being broken into followers of Junko and her batshit despair. The ones who aren't are Nagito, who is still fighting for hope by helping Junko create the greatest despair mankind has ever known, Hajime, who is of course Izuru and a broken individual already by the point he meets Junko, and Chiaki, an AI created by the Future Foundation. I would argue that outside of Toko/Syo the cast of DR2 are broken people in ways that the cast of DR1 just weren't to begin with hence why even though DR1 is Junko's class mates, she converted the class a year above instead.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

dancingbears posted:

"Kind-hearted"? "Always wants to believe in others"? I always read Hajime as, yes, willing to put up with the others' craziness, but in a pretty put-upon way. He's way more cynical, sarcastic, and willing to believe that this killing game is going to have deadly consequences than Naegi.

You know, I'm completely open to the idea that I just entirely conflated Hajime with Chiaki because she was the far more memorable character. I'll edit that part at some point.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Lastly DR2 contains the grossest thing so far, which is the revelation that after Junko's death the Remnants of Despair salavaged her body and replaced parts of themselves with parts of her. Notably Nagito has her hand and forearm, Fuyuhiko likely has her eye, and Mikan being Mikan either performed necrophilia or replaced her uterus and ovaries with Junko’s.

OK, so this is a thing I intentionally omitted from my recap, not because ew, but because it really annoys me. How the gently caress did that happen? Remember the end of the first game?

Junko became Ultimate Part Of A Delicious Breakfast by way of turning herself into the Ultimate Pancake! Like, I'll buy the hand. Her arm could have been a part that didn't get squished because it might have been outstretched. If you really want to get creative, her eye could have popped out and been available for sticking into somebody else's socket, even though I don't really buy the logistics of that. But the rest of her body is totally paste! I know Mikan is the Ultimate Nurse, but I'm pretty sure she can't fix a case of the Ultimate Pancake, neither to recreate procreational organs and then sticking them in herself, nor to recreate a corpse that is in any way suitable for necrophilia! That part never gets addressed at all, and it really really bugs me, because it seems obvious! If you're going to have your cultists do something to your cult leader's corpse, you should at least remember how that cult leader died!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

This is what those in Hope's Peak Academy call the Ultimate Handwave. :v:

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Something about DR never agreed with me.
Probably the gleeful desire to kill off anything or anyone.
Yet I cant look away.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

DeafNote posted:

Something about DR never agreed with me.
Probably the gleeful desire to kill off anything or anyone.
Yet I cant look away.

That's actually one of the things I like the most. It really keeps you on your toes. Nobody is safe.

Game sets up Sayaka as a childhood friend sidekick type? BAM, she's dead, and she actually never liked you and wanted to frame you for her attempted murder.
Game turns Kiyotaka into a completely different character all of a sudden, which seems like it would have potential to create a lot of new situations? BAM, he's dead.
Game sets up Hiyoko for getting character development and maybe not being such a prick? BAM, she's dead.
Game sets up Chiaki as a sort of love interest and moral support going into a crisis situation in the endgame? BAM, she's dead, and she was never real in the first place either.
Game sets up Yasuhiro and Kazuichi as joke characters that have no real value to the plot and could easily be killed off? ...welp.

The amount of people that got killed off while I was like halfway through their Free Time segments is way too many than it really should be, and I love it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheMcD posted:

Game sets up Hiyoko for getting character development and maybe not being such a prick? BAM, she's dead.

A fun thing about this. She was originally intended as survivor. Taking Fuyuhiko's place. But when they decided to spare Fuyuhiko and along with the fact they really wanted a double murder in case three led to her being cut.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yasuhiro was actually the murder victim of the demo case of DR1, as I recall. Then he was replaced with Sayaka in the actual game.

TheMcD posted:

Game sets up Sayaka as a childhood friend sidekick type? BAM, she's dead, and she actually never liked you and wanted to frame you for her attempted murder.

Well, I wouldn't go that far. It's just implied that she did a lot of shady things to become an idol/pop sensation and figured "What's one more bad thing to secure my spot in that position?".

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

TheMcD posted:

That's actually one of the things I like the most. It really keeps you on your toes. Nobody is safe.

Komaeda too, his death was amazing for that "what the hell, he can actually die? He's not just going to antagonise everyone forever?!" feeling.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

TheMcD posted:

You know, I'm completely open to the idea that I just entirely conflated Hajime with Chiaki because she was the far more memorable character. I'll edit that part at some point.

OK, so this is a thing I intentionally omitted from my recap, not because ew, but because it really annoys me. How the gently caress did that happen? Remember the end of the first game?

Junko became Ultimate Part Of A Delicious Breakfast by way of turning herself into the Ultimate Pancake! Like, I'll buy the hand. Her arm could have been a part that didn't get squished because it might have been outstretched. If you really want to get creative, her eye could have popped out and been available for sticking into somebody else's socket, even though I don't really buy the logistics of that. But the rest of her body is totally paste! I know Mikan is the Ultimate Nurse, but I'm pretty sure she can't fix a case of the Ultimate Pancake, neither to recreate procreational organs and then sticking them in herself, nor to recreate a corpse that is in any way suitable for necrophilia! That part never gets addressed at all, and it really really bugs me, because it seems obvious! If you're going to have your cultists do something to your cult leader's corpse, you should at least remember how that cult leader died!

It probably didn't actually happen, it was the fake Naegi who mentioned that whole deal and he was just a puppet created by EnoshimAI to try and push the survivors into despair.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

kvx687 posted:

It probably didn't actually happen, it was the fake Naegi who mentioned that whole deal and he was just a puppet created by EnoshimAI to try and push the survivors into despair.

It did for at least Fuyuhiko and Nagito, we’ve seen the latter with Junko’s arm after all in game even and other media we’ve seen the former missing his eye after DR2 is over. I’ve always assumed she just wasn’t that flattened/crushed, she took almost no damage from the rest of the Ultimate Punishment so it’s plausible the crushing wasn’t quite as crushing as it appears.

There’s also the possibility that some of the body parts came from Mukuro.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mukuro was repeatedly stabbed with spears and then blown up, so I'm not sure her body is in much better condition.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Mukuro was repeatedly stabbed with spears and then blown up, so I'm not sure her body is in much better condition.

Nobody ever accused the Remnants of Despair of being intelligent about how they worshipped Junko. Nagito notes his new arm doesn’t even work and is just happy it isn’t rotting.

I guess I just don’t see why this is the step too far, given Mondo apparently liquified during his execution and was made into butter, or Taka managing to fusion dance with Mondo’s spirit and become super Saiyan. Or even the fact that brain surgery turned a normal person into a super genius with every talent possible including luck.

The Ultimate Nurse salvaging body parts for the Remnants of Despair from Junko and Mukuro is honestly pretty tame, it’s not like the organs had to work they just had to be attachable. In one of the side stories the main character of that story decapitates his love interest to remove an explosive collar without killing her.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 3, 2018

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017
Important point about all the DR2 ending revalations: a good chunk of this comes from the Junko AI. Junko cannot be trusted.

It's some mix of truth and lies assembled to most effectively gently caress with the heads of the people she's speaking to at that very moment, like all her dialogue in the entire franchise. Any part that's actually impossible is probably just some bullshit she made up five seconds ago. My default reaction to all her dialogue is "shut up, Junko is talking!" but unlike with Kirigiri that's not because I expect her to provide useful and reliable information.

namehereguy fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 3, 2018

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

The writers have said that the excecutions are more representations designed to look/weird than what is actually happening to the person.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

TheMcD posted:

Burn is just a straight shot. I think you can shoot it faster than Break, and it might have some situational use where you need to burn something, though I honestly don't remember. I didn't replay the game going into this LP to keep things a bit fresh for myself as well.

Burn is your machine gun bullets, they're for if you have poor aim, need to take put a junk monokuma without any batteries or just feel like some :blastu:

Are spoilers from Danganrompa 3 Despair side allowed considering it happened in the past?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

TheKirbs posted:

Are spoilers from Danganrompa 3 Despair side allowed considering it happened in the past?

Let's just say no to keep things consistent. For all intents and purposes, everything released after UDG doesn't exist.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

♪ BGM: DSO_DANGANRONPA

Alright, now back to our regularly scheduled programming. After Komaru gets to watch the Warriors of Hope make their first appearance on live TV, we get to watch the intro movie.

There's probably going to be more in the video than I'll be showing here, just because of the way the intro video is structured, which would lead to like 50 images for a minute long intro otherwise.

What we do get is a bit of a character roll call.

Looks like Toko will be playing a fairly major role in this game as well.

We get some mysterious Monokuma variants.

We can now put some names to the Warriors of Hope.

There's also some scenes involving giant robots, which I guess makes sense, since we already have regular-sized robots, which of course means there need to be giant ones as well. There's some more scenes that mean basically nothing until we actually see them in context...

...and we finish it off with another title card.

♪ BGM: Chapter Title

And another title card. I guess that makes the first two chapters the preprologue.

♪ BGM: DSO_Welcome Despair Academy

But the school covered it up, so it was too late when the world finally realized... It grew out of control, becoming a monster that swallowed the entire world. It couldn't have just been some riot or student protest. It had to be something far deeper. That much should be obvious... It did come from Hope's Peak Academy. after all.

Violence spawned revenge, which fueled more violence, driving the crime rate even higher. Before long, a global war broke out. A war not for land or ideals, but only for the sake of war. A war that tainted the world with despair.

And even when it felt like I was falling, I kept believing. "It's still okay, it's alright..." Then, I found out that 7 of my classmates had died suspiciously. I fell further still. But even then, I kept telling myself, "It's all going to be fine, don't be afraid..." But the realization that it was too late came to me like the ground rushing up to break my fall.

The world I had been living in up to that moment collapsed. Everything changed.

I was supposed to be a normal high school girl, but instead I became a complacent prisoner.

There's no use in keeping hope. That's what I was forced to realize once again...

♪ BGM: Ambience ♫

And as the killing goes on outside...

...Komaru is despairing inside.

Wh-why is this happening? If I knew this was going to happen, I would have stayed in my room forever!

Uh-oh.

However, it seems like Komaru was hiding in a blind spot, so the Monokuma can't see anything and just leaves.

♪ BGM: Secret Base ~Left Behind By The Adults~

This game does like using music ahead of when it's actually supposed to be used.

I gotta run... that's right, that Byakuya guy said that someone is supposed to be here, right?

They're... supposed to be here...

♪ BGM: DSO_Despair-Syndrome

While walking around the restaurant, Komaru spots something!

It's a guy in a suit!

Ugh... mnf...
Ah! A-Are you alright!?
Wh-Who are you? You shouldn't be here... Hurry up and run!
U-Um... You're from Future Foundation...right?
H-How did you know?
I-I... I was told by a guy named Byakuya Togami to meet you here!
Could you be...? Are you a Captive? G-Go to the park... Head through this door... And...go straight down the road... Th-There should be a...Future Foundation helicopter there... Hurry... Go...
But! What about you!?

Suddenly, glass shattering!

♪ BGM: Absolute Despair Girl

Monokuma attack!

Komaru can't deal in the slightest.

Hurry... you gotta get out of here.

I... I'm sorry.

And Komaru makes a run for it.

OK... over here! I'll take you all on!

...I'm so sorry.

Yeah, that guy is pretty much dead. RIP that guy, we hardly knew ye.

♪ BGM: DSO_Living to the Fullest

This segment is just a short stroll to the right. We can't even move up or down, just left or right.

As we move to the right, we get some explosions in the background and the sky starts changing color.

The Monokumas just ignore us right now, they're busy stabbing other people.

Eventually, we make it to a playground.

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

There's a helicopter there!

Hey!

More people in suits!

Are you people from Future Foundation?

That special government agent kind of glance is being exchanged.

Um... this guy called Byakuya Togami... said that you guys... can rescue me!

More glances and a nod.

What is your name?
Komaru... it's Komaru Naegi.

♪ BGM: We Can't Change The World

So... where is Byakuya Togami? Is he safe?
H-He told me to run, so I... I haven't seen him since...
I see... I can't reach him, so I thought he might be in danger... But then again, this is Byakuya Togami we're talking about. I'm sure he can handle himself...
B-But, there was someone from Future Foundation getting attacked in the restaurant back there!
Please! You have to go save him!
Understood. I'll go back for him!

Welp, that guy's dead too.

I hope he can make it in time...
Um... What exactly is going on here? I still have no idea what's happening... I don't know who you are, or where I am, or anything...
I see... Well, we don't have much time, so I'll give you the short version. First off, we're from an organization called Future Foundation. We're trying to help the world recover from the incident. You know what I'm referring to?

Komaru, again, doesn't know what the gently caress.

Incident...
It's behind your imprisonment. The Biggest, Most Awful, Most Tragic Event in Human History.

♪ BGM: DSO_DISTRUST

This silhouette belongs to Izuru Kamakura.

Are you alright? Are you following?
Ah, y-yeah... It's just a lot to take in, that's all. It's...hard to hear.
I'm sorry, but you need to know. This town is an island off the coast and controlled by a powerful IT corporation. It's commonly called Towa City. Towa City used to just be a nickname, but now, it's what everyone calls it.

♪ BGM: Wonderful Dead 004

"Wonderful Dead" is one of the main themes of this game, with it getting a total of five variations throughout the game. This variation is one of my favorite tracks in the game, and it really nails that lounge feeling I was talking about in the first update.

Towa Group and their cutting-edge technology are running the show here.
Towa Group is a corporation that played a huge role in rebuilding the world. Ever since The Tragedy, air pollution has made a lot of the planet uninhabitable.

So here's something. It was brought up after my recaps that a large amount of the information regarding the fuckedness of the world came directly from Junko's mouth - a mouth that has absolutely no issues bullshitting for her own gain. However, the part about the air pollution wasn't a lie.

But Towa Group developed an air purifier that can clean massive quantities of air at a time. They invented it only three months after the safety order to stay indoors was given. Even after all this time, people all over the world are still clamoring for it.
But the clean air isn't the only thing that draws people to this town. Because of Towa Group's influence, this city has suffered far less damage than others.
Because it's relatively unaffected by The Incident, it's of special interest to us.
But this kind of riot going on in Towa City... This is something we never anticipated...
So it's a riot? Why is something like this happening?
Honestly, even we have no clue whatsoever about what's happening here. Where those Monokumas came from, why they're attacking the city... And that broadcast by those creepy kids! None of it makes any sense at all.

Even Future Foundation doesn't know what the gently caress, so how can Komaru?

The only thing we know for sure is that something horrible is happening here...
We need to get more intel, but our priority is to escape. We need to leave, at least for now.
Y-You're right... We need to hurry and escape, we'd probably get killed in a place like this...
And I'm... I mean, I want to see my family again. It's been so long, I...
Oh... About your family...
Hold it. What was that?

...do you hear that?
Is that...singing?
Over there!

♪ BGM: Let's Play With Monokuma

Yes, that is children singing. And they are singing about murdering adults together with Monokuma. And it's amazing.

Our group is being menaced by a kid wearing a Monokuma mask.

...a kid?

Not just a kid!

And, well, RIP that guy, I guess. Was that the guy from the restaurant or the guy that went to get the guy in the restaurant?

Get back!

Things don't go much better for this guy.

This way!

Get in!

Komaru gets tossed inside the helicopter.

This guy doesn't fare well against the Monokuma attack either. Man, they don't pay enough for training at Future Foundation.

Komaru tries to shut the helicopter door, but a Monokuma gets its claws in there beforehand.

However, some good kicking solves that problem fairly easily.

♪ BGM: DSO_Despair-Syndrome

Safe at last... or is she?

...welp.

Time for liftoff!

No! Waaaaaaaaaiiiiiiit!

♪ BGM: Business Trip Version Punishment ~Helicopter Crash Episode~

Well, this artstyle and music should give a familiar feeling to those that know the first two games.

The Monokuma is not being a particularly good pilot...

...and tearing out the steering isn't going to help.

The helicopter is headed straight down...

...and crashes right back into Towa City.

Komaru somehow makes it out of that wreck relatively unharmed.

And good too, because it explodes right afterwards.

Then a Monokuma shows up.

Then about five more.

Then a whole bunch more.

Komaru, faced with this new situation, fairly rationally decides to pass out.

Because really, you're not going to do much with this many killer robots surrounding you.

Next time, we get to see where Komaru lands after this!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I think people make too much of a big thing about Junko’s lying, given it feels she tells a lot more truths than lies, what she’s actually good at is twisting truths to the worst possible interpretation of omitting/changing them slightly to her own ends.

When she outright lies is kind of rare in my opinion, and is usually for the purpose of perpetuating the illusion of a killing game instead of actually being a lie for the sake of Despair. I think this is also part of what in universe makes her effective, she isn’t telling the whole truth but she also isn’t telling total lies, so she bends truth until it’s a lie and wraps people in her bullshit until they give in to her Despair.

Like, the number of times she’s just flat out lied instead of merely omitted or shifted the truth is quite small I feel, which is why I tend to accept things she says that aren’t contradicted as being somewhat truthful. In DR2 specifically I think there’s also a level of her not actually being aware that Izuru’s plan is different from hers.

On to this game, god the music really is fantastic and personally I think this is the best Danganronpa soundtrack, because I love lounge jazz. I also appreciate that even without the killing game we get “executions”. I gotta question how the future foundation does anything at all with grunts this bad at fighting monokumas, which I’m pretty sure should be basic training.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 3, 2018

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

TheMcD posted:

Because really, you're not going to do much with this many killer robots surrounding you.

Isn't this a scene straight from The Matrix?

Edit:

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 3, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I don't think Monokuma has a license to operate that vehicle.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

My favourite part about this bit is that one of the Future Foundation dudes has Byakuya's voice. I don't mean that they just share the same voice actor, which they do, but for whatever reason he didn't even try and he's just doing the same voice haha

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017

Lord_Magmar posted:

I think people make too much of a big thing about Junko’s lying, given it feels she tells a lot more truths than lies, what she’s actually good at is twisting truths to the worst possible interpretation of omitting/changing them slightly to her own ends.

When she outright lies is kind of rare in my opinion, and is usually for the purpose of perpetuating the illusion of a killing game instead of actually being a lie for the sake of Despair. I think this is also part of what in universe makes her effective, she isn’t telling the whole truth but she also isn’t telling total lies, so she bends truth until it’s a lie and wraps people in her bullshit until they give in to her Despair.

Like, the number of times she’s just flat out lied instead of merely omitted or shifted the truth is quite small I feel, which is why I tend to accept things she says that aren’t contradicted as being somewhat truthful. In DR2 specifically I think there’s also a level of her not actually being aware that Izuru’s plan is different from hers.

Junko reliably says things that will get the result she wants. Usually this ends up being a selective portion of the truth combined with lies she won't be caught in, with varying ratios. I particularly distrust fine details in her end-of-game exposition because if she's successful in persuading everyone else they'll never be in a position to find out she was lying.

For instance, the general shape of The Incident conforms to her description, because Genocider retained memories of watching the news during the early to mid phases, but in order to persuade them to stay in the school forever Junko lies about how bad the world is at that point in time; her telling them about the deadly atmosphere is, if I've got the timelines right, after Towa City started the air purifiers. Certainly Togami has successfully left the school and not died a horrible choking death as of yet.

Junko doesn't lie just for the sake of lying, but if lying would help convince someone to do what she wants them to she won't hesitate. And when she says true things she's still trying to convince someone to do what she wants, so it's usually very distorted and selectively edited in order to mislead. Except when telling the whole truth will most effectively persuade people, in which case she'll do that. It all makes her amazing fun to watch in action but not a very good source for full and reliable exposition.

quote:

On to this game, god the music really is fantastic and personally I think this is the best Danganronpa soundtrack, because I love lounge jazz. I also appreciate that even without the killing game we get “executions”. I gotta question how the future foundation does anything at all with grunts this bad at fighting monokumas, which I’m pretty sure should be basic training.

Monokumas are actually really badass by normal standards; they're just decisively outmatched by the Ultimates who step up when it's asskicking time. Kuromaru is shredding them because she has a fancy brand-new prototype hacking gun created for the purpose of allowing normal people to effectively kill Monokumas.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Well, it's not a V3 LP, but it'll do. I've never seen a good LP of this game before.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Solitair posted:

I've never seen a good LP of this game before.

...do I really need to say it? I mean, the self-deprecatory joke just makes itself at this point.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
-never mind-

TheDavies fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 5, 2018

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

???: Hey... can you hear me...? Are you okay?

Man... something about this line is really familiar.

Komaru finds herself waking up on some sort of bed.

And she has no idea where the hell she is. Nor do we, for that matter.

But then, she notices something!

You look completely exhausted.
Wh-who are you?
Me? Oh, my name's not really important. After all...

...I'm just a lowly servant.

Komaru doesn't know what the gently caress.

♪ BGM: Abnormality on the Girls' Front Line

So, two notes. One, this music is pretty drat jammin'. And two, let's address the elephant in the room. Yes, that is Nagito Komaeda we're looking at. Or at least, whoever this is, he sure as hell passes the duck test. Looks like Nagito, talks like Nagito, and as we'll see throughout this conversation, he acts like Nagito, too. He even wears a glove on his left hand to hide the fact that that hand is Junko's hand.

And on top of that, I get captured by them. I've seriously got no luck at all.
But because I pleaded for my life, they allowed me to live...as their servant.
U-Um...
Ah, I'm being rude. Enough about me, let's talk about you.
Either you truly are completely exhausted, or you're simply afraid to wake up and face reality. You were asleep a full two days.
A-A full two days!?
A full two days. More than enough time for the world to change completely. Yes, even our world can change just that quickly. Like a watercolor painting caught in the rain.
Ah, but you're more concerned about yourself than the world right now, correct? You're wondering what's to become of you, now that you're trapped here, in this place.
...Wh-What's going to happen to me?
...*sigh*...
Huh?
Ah, apologies. Your reaction was so...normal... It surprised me a little.
Ahah, you honestly...don't have a single unique characteristic.
U-Um...?
Well, no need to be depressed about it. This world is filled with unremarkable people. And the only one capable of empathizing with common, boring people... is a common, boring person like yourself.
...So that's why you pass.
Wh-What are you talking about?
Well, that is just my personal opinion. It doesn't matter to them at all. Which means I'll need you to take a proper test.
...A test?
Ah, but before that, I'll return this to you...

♪ Jingle: Truth Bullet GET!

Truth Bullet GET!

Th-The Hacking Gun!
I borrowed it from you without permission, sorry. But I absolutely had to analyze its capabilities.
It sure is an amazing little machine. A device that forcibly hacks machines by shooting program codes with electromagnetism...
However, it was a bit...too powerful. I made a few modifications. For game balance purposes.
Game...balance?
Oh, no need to worry. You'll have the opportunity to upgrade it later.

Huh. Was Nagito previously a fourth-wall-breaker? I don't recall that part about him.

U-Um... I have no idea what you're talking about...
I understand how you feel, but...it's about time you started the test.

Everyone...?
...You'll meet them when you get there. However, even after you meet everyone, be sure to keep that gun of yours a secret.

I'll be going on ahead.

With that expository dialogue done, Komaru knows exactly as much what the gently caress as she did before. Which is nothing at all. Nagito was never the type to be clear when talking to others.

♪ BGM: Alice in the Children's Land

Alright, now we get control of Komaru again. You'll note that we have an ammo counter now. You'll also note that we only have one Truth Bullet type - Break, the basic one. Nagito sure balanced the gently caress out of this gun. Well, let's check out that present.

♪ Jingle: Truth Bullet GET!

Ah, another Truth Bullet!

Yaaaaay!

Looks like you have obtained Move. Move is a Truth Bullet that can activate some machines with superpowered hacking magic. Try it on that power panel with the red light. Oh, and I know you probably remember, but... You can press the F Key to change ammo.

Alright, let's give it a shot.

Well, that worked. Let's move on.

Now that you've put in some time with the Hacking Gun, let me tell you something... The red left eye is a weak point for all Monokumas...

It's one hell of a shot, one that's way stronger than the regular Break. Now that's killing two birds with one stone! If you think you're so hot, why not try aiming for the weak point?

Oh, is that a challenge?

Blam!

We get some Monocoins for that as well - a whole 75 of them! We won't be buying gifts with these this time around, though we have other things to spend these coins on.

We continue onwards, blasting Monokumas in the eye (well, actually just the one)...

...and eventually make it to some sort of central area where we get locked in.

After blasting one more Monokuma...

...Komaru already suggests what to do to proceed. And I think I can already see where we need to go.

I enjoy that Komaru actually shouts "MOVE" when shooting the Move Truth Bullet. She commands the machine to move, and it moves!

We only get these stairs to go up, so I guess that's where we're going.

And then, we get to enter these doors to meet the master of the house... next time!

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 15, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well, Komaru seems to be involved in a game of sorts, so I think it's not quite fourth wall breaking as kinda sorta poking at the fourth wall.

Also, I always wondered why Nagito would be a servant to the kids that are using Monokumas considering he's in SHSL Despair.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

When I originally played this game for myself, my first reaction when I saw Nagito there was basically "oh for gently caress's sake not Nagito again!"

I'll give the game that at least. Putting Nagito in will probably make for a fun time.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I came for the suffering but I left before the rape - Danganronpa: Ultra Despair Girls

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Komaru enters the door, and...

...well then.

I very much recommend watching this video. It's very long, but it's the core establishment scene for our main antagonists and a nice presentation for the voice acting for the Warriors of Hope, which I really like, myself.

♪ BGM: Like I Would Become A Monster

You... you're those kids! The kids who were on TV!

Aw man, I'm famous! I'd autograph your back anytime!

Hehehe... I can only write using a chisel, but if you don't mind that, I can sign your back, too.

We accept presents, as well! I'm always in the mood for sweets.

However, salty flavors are no good. Those disgusting tastes are never worth putting in your mouth!

I wanna drive a train some day, but can't. I wanna go inside a chimney.

And in the midst of all this, blue-haired kid is deeply judging me for LPing this game.

Komaru just can't deal.

And then, the last member comes rolling in as well.

Welcome, Big Sis! I'm so happy you came, meow~!

Yes, she actually went "meow~". This girl is an attempt to weaponize adorable and precious.

♪ BGM: Ghost Stories From the School District of Revolution

Oh, that's right. Big Sis doesn't know us yet.
Well, I guess we should start with introductions!

So, every one of these kids has a little extra introduction scene with some extra art you can view by pressing a key while they introduce themselves. In the video, I just opened them ASAP, but here, I'll let each character finish their regular introduction, then insert the extra scene in a quote block. That should maybe make it flow a bit better.

I'm the leader of the Warriors of Hope! Hero class, Masaru Daimon! I always give 100 percent! My favorite class was Gym, so they called me Li'l Ultlmate P.E.!
Aha! A Hero, the leader, and the Li'l Ultimate P.E.! I even impress myself!

Masaru Daimon's Introduction posted:

♪ BGM: It's a Kids' World

I'm the P.E. King who can do every exercise ever! Running nonstop 24/7/365 is easy as pie! Oh, I almost forgot! My job in the Warriors of Hope is the Hero! And as Hero and the leader, I'm gonna be the new ruler of thls town!

As a side note, the music track that plays in these little extra scenes, "It's a Kids' World", is another one of my particular favorites. It's just so happy. It always puts me in an amusement park kind of mood. In fact, it put me in such a mood so much that over a year ago, I made this. Watch that and tell me it doesn't fit perfectly! Anyway, on with the show.

But I am the leader! We all agreed on it!
All he did was win Rock-Paper-Scissors...

Fine, fine. You're the leader. Now allow me to introduce myself.

During my time at Hope's Peak Elementary, I was known as Li'l Ultimate Social Studies.
Huh? Hope's Peak? ...You mean...that Hope's Peak!?
Hm? Why should that surprise you?
I... I didn't know there was an elementary school affiliated with the academy...
Hmpf. Such an ignorant woman.

Nagisa Shingetsu's Introduction posted:

Of course, Social Studies is but one area of my expertise. I excel at all scholarly pursuits. I was labeled Li'l Ultimate Social Studies because I was raised to be among society's elite. And... I suppose I am a babysitter of sorts for the Warriors of Hope... Monaca excluded.

Um... What was I gonna say...? Uh, I'm the Priest, Jataro Kemuri...
And you specialized in arts and crafts, making you Li'l Ultimate Art, correct? Moving on...
Awww... You said what I was gonna say... The whole thiiing... Ugh... My chest itches... I wish I could scratch it raw, reach inside and scrape my nails on it...

Jataro Kemuri's Introduction posted:

Like, for some reason, you imagine how painful it would be to put your hand in... oh, um, my name is Jataro Kemuri. And bird skin isn't yummy no matter how you cook it.

If it's arts and crafts, leave it to me. I can remove nails, and varnish, and things... I do the Priest thing for the Warriors of Hope... Oh, and also, I wonder if aliens exist.

It's like how an elephant's nose is so long... But then again, giraffe necks are long too. And also, waiting for a plane takes too long, and Spring Break is too long...
U-Um...
Well, anyway, don't worry about Jataro. He's a latchkey kid. It made him a bit mental.
It's not that I dislike latchkey kids, though. Some kids say they have magical powers!
Isn't that awesome? You might get caught inside a magical parallel universe!
Oh, sorry for the late introduction! My name's Kotoko Utsugi, and I play the role of Fighter. I was called Li'l Ultimate Drama, but that was a long time ago, so I'll leave that part out.
My favorite food is peeled chestnuts. My least favorite food is unpeeled chestnuts.
Kyahaa! Aren't you surprised? They're both chestnuts!
Uh...um...uh...

Komaru's complete and utter flabbergastedness is really relatable.

And hey, did you know!? Kangaroos can jump backwards! And, and! And believe it or not, snakes have ears! Ewww!

Kotoko Utsugi's Introduction posted:

My name is Kotoko Utsugi, and I play the Fighter in the Warriors of Hope! You might think the Fighter would be a boy, but nope! I'm totally a girl! I love girly things and peeled chestnuts! If it's totally adorbs, I looove it!

But who cares about that old stuff? I'm so happy to meet you!

Yes, yes, that's all very nice. Our next introduction is Monaca.

And when I attended elementary school, I was called the Li'l Ultimate Homeroom.
I'm sure you're familiar with it, right? Homeroom?
Monaca just loves Homeroom! The first hour of the day when we can share our thoughts... And that is why, even in the Warriors of Hope, I'm the life of the party!

Monaca's Introduction posted:

You might think there are no Ultimates and Commons in a class like Homeroom, but there are! For me, my skill isn't really about uniting people, it's about getting them all to help me. Believe it or not, I bring together a lot of wonderful people... it would be nice if you could be a wonderful person for Monaca, too...

So, full disclosure. As astute non-LP-Archive-readers might have noticed from my previous LPs, I've been running around posting with assorted avatars of Monaca for at least like two years now. She is my favorite character in the game, and also the entire series. I can't exactly get into the why right now, though I can point out that I feel like her voice is diabetes-inducingly adorable. Anyway, I just wanted to point that out so we're all on the same page here. On with the show.

Ah, but... You are familiar with the Warriors of Hope?
N-No...
The Warriors of Hope are heroes who save the world from Demons. Isn't that amazing?
We're a party of heroes that hunt down Demons... But nobody really wants me in the group...
And I'm the party leader! Which makes me the number one king of this town!
U-Um... You... You kids are just joking, right? With demons and kings...
Joking...around?
I mean you guys are just kids, right? For a bunch of kids to be doing this kind of stuff...

Uh oh. Something tells me that was the wrong thing to say.

Huh?
Awww... That's the only thing I can say, just "awww"... Since you're an About-to-Be, we were thinking... Well, doesn't matter. You're clearly a Demon.
Adults, children... The power structure remains the same. The subjects have merely been switched. With our Monokumas, you'll be nothing more than a squashed bug beneath our feet.
Splattered like the sound of bloody chopped meat, intestines falling out of you like sausages...
Oh, stop that, Jataro! If you say it like that, she'll think we're joking.
Huh? "Our Monokumas"? So the ones controlling those Monokumas out there are...
That's right! Isn't it so cool!? The Monokumas obey any order we give 'em!

Yeah, that's our Mage! She can use magic even without magic circles!
Hehehe, thank you everyone, you're so nice!
Kyaaa! Monaca's smile is sooo adorbs! Oh, I just wanna smother you in syrup and eat you uuup!
N-No! Stop it! Stop!
Stop? Which part?
If what you're saying is true, please, stop all of this!
We will not. We will never stop until we've completed our paradise...
Paradise...?
Oh? You didn't hear our address? A paradise made of children, by children, for children!
We're gonna kill all the adults in this town and make a paradise just for kids! Isn't it awesome!? No school or homework in paradise, woo hoo!
Why must fireflies die so young...?
And since our paradise is for children only, there won't be any more pedophiles, either!
But can we keep the ice cream store? The ice cream didn't do anything wrong...

I like the way Jataro is thinking.

Wh-What are you saying!? What're you talking about...? It doesn't make any sense!

UH OH.

♪ BGM: DSO_Junk Food for a Dashing Youth

That's! All! If! Monaca! Wants! It! It! Happens! That's! How! It! Is!

I-It's going to be alright, Monaca! Please, don't get upset... It's all going according to plan!
That's right! If Monaca says it, then white is black, cats are dogs, and, um... What else...?
Oh please, oh please don't get mad! We'll kill a lot of adults, see? So just smile, okay?
Hey! How dare you make Monaca mad! That's the last straw! As the leader, I'm gonna hunt you down!
H-Hunt?
Let us play a game. You will be our Demon prey.
It's a reallyyy fun game, a godly game...
It was Monaca's idea, after all!
And the name of the game iiis...

Demon Hunting is a game where you release Demons into Towa City... They're the Targets! It's a super fun game where the Warriors of Hope fight to see who takes down the Demon first!

See, Monaca? We're going to play our special game! No need to be upset now, right?

N-No... By Target, you mean...
You, hurry up and prepare the device.

♪ BGM: DSO_Ocean Breeze Dead End

Wh-What is this!?

It would be best if you didn't try to remove it. Any tampering with it, and you'll go "boom."
Boom!?

Alright! Let's go hunting!
W-Wait! Wait, hold on! This is a prank, isn't it? You're just kidding around!
You've seen what we've accomplished so far. This is no joke. For an adult, you sure are dense...
N-No, you don't understand! I... I'd be no good at this game! If you throw me into that town, I'd just get killed immediately! That's no fun, right?
Oooh, so modest! But we know you don't die easy! You passed that test earlier!

It was amazing how you were able to evade those Monokumas and make it this far. I guess it's all thanks to my advice from earlier, hm?
Advice...from earlier?

Hey! Ho talking without the leader's permission! You're just a servant! Next time you talk without getting the okay from me, I'm gluing your mouth shut!
Ahaha, that is quite a scary thought.
Well? Let's get on with it!
Wh-Why...?
...What?
Why are you doing something so cruel? I didn't even do anything bad...

Oh geez, you're too funny! Ahaha, I'm laughing so hard my cheeks hurt!

Well, I guess that's as good an answer as we're ever going to get.

Th-That's the only reason!?
You're only surprised because you aren't used to this way of doing things.
This is just what we like. We do it because it's fun.
And that truly is the only reason!
Searching for meaning in the meaningless is for adults. Children are untalnted by such futility.
But, to tell you the truth... I would rather not play this game. There is still much work to be done to build our paradise, yet here we are, playing games...
Then why? Why don't you stop?
We cannot do that. This is Monaca's game. She said she wants it done, so it will be done.
Monaca is the princess! Everyone on our team tries to grant the princess's wish...
And I looove what Monaca loves!
So that's basically the situation.
Thank you, Nagisa. Even though you're so busy, you did all this work for the sake of my game...
I'll have to bake you some delicious cookies later as thanks!

Awww! That's sooo not fair! I wanna eat Monaca's cookies too!
Hey, Monaca! What about me? The leader!

Hm, of course an *adult* sees us as abnormal.
But! Who! Cares! What! Adults! Say!
Also, Komaru Naegi... In your current situation, you don't have the right to say a thing. You cannot choose your path. Because this place you're in? It isn't a path at all.
...What?

You are just going to fall and fall... Can't you feel the pull of gravity?
Wh-What do you mean?
She means *this*!

♪ BGM: Business Trip Version Punishment ~Parachute Landing Episode~

Komaru is like several flavors of hosed up right now mentally. And you know what doesn't help?

That.

So Komaru is sent plummeting to an unknown destination...

...and as the parachute opens, Komaru finds herself above Towa City once more, at least this time descending a bit slower than last time.

We also get to see that the Warriors of Hope have a loving flying cruise ship. God drat, that is awesome.

And so, Komaru makes her way back into the city. Meanwhile, back with the Warriors of Hope...

Wonderful ears!
A child's eyes are!?
Adorable eyes!
A child's mouth is!?
A great big mouth!
Why is it so big!?
To gobble up the Demons! Hahahahahaha!

Let's say this particular Demon will be worth an extra high score because it upset us.
Ufufu, then it looks like I'll win when I catch it!
A game is different than reality... So that means even I can actually win!

Holy poo poo, that's harsh.

My my! it's rare to see Jataro so pumped... But it also makes him extra gross.
That don't matter! At the end of the day, the one who wins is gonna be me, the leader!
Now now, it doesn't matter who wins. Just make sure you don't fight while playing the game!
Well, anyway, do you guys wanna get a cola or something?
Oooh, a soda sounds great! Someone go buy some! Leader's orders!

♪ BGM: Ambience ♫

And just like that, the pieces are in place. All that's left now is to wait for the despair.
Hehe, I'm looking forward to it!

With your lack of distinct characteristics. So common, so dull, so boring...

♪ BGM: Chapter End

Well, that was sufficiently ominous. Looks like both Monaca and Nagito seem to have goals that aren't quite in line with what the other Warriors of Hope are thinking of as the goals. Anyway, that'll be enough for now. We've finished the prologue, we've established our protagonist and antagonists and what the conflict is going to be. Next time, we'll join back up with Komaru and see how she's going to fare in Towa City. But it'll take a bit longer for this update to come out, because I need to record the footage first.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 6, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Monaca is a very good mix of childish and menacing, yes.

TheMcD posted:

A game is different than reality... So that means even I can actually win!

How dare they use my likeness in this game without my permission? :argh:

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
My specialty is Li'l Ultimate Redundancy! Li'l Ultimate Redundancy is my specialty!

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Figures
You buy your kids one monokuma toy, and they forget all disciple.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Ok, I think I can see why Monaca and Subject N are sharing avatar space now.

I've heard a lot of things about this game. Let's see what it ends up being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I think Nagito wasn't required to put the collar and chain leash on, he just did it himself one day and all of the kids think someone else asked him to do it.