Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Muteba is very generous in bed. I'm not even sure he's nutted once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
That's how he got so strong.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sindai posted:

That's how you know he's evil. A good guy just does body-destroying training ten times as hard as everyone else every day until they become a superman.

Steroids make you evil IRL too. Rip the Benoit family

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Stairmaster posted:

Muteba is very generous in bed. I'm not even sure he's nutted once.

hes not even hard yet

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Yeah... I must be the only one but I'm not very excited for this fight. It's Ohma vs Raian all over again. I prefer seeing two very different fighters going at it.

Hopefully all they have in common is their strength, Wakatsuki using some magic ninjetsu.

Also, anyone else found it odd everyone knew of Niko, that Ohma was Niko's student and recognised his fighting style? There's probably more history behind Niko.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That page with both Wakatsuki and Julius going for the same punch was so loving good.

Also love the theme of an all-natural monster versus a manmade one, it's nature versus science!

Oh, I guess we finally get clarification for the mistake that was mentioned but glossed over in Wakatsuki's first fight. His weight and height are the same. In other words, he weighs a ton.

Looking at it now, it was foreshadowed; Sayaka usually announces everyone's height and weight alongside their Kengan win/loss stats, but omitted Wakatsuki's.

She announces Gozo's height and weight, but not Wakatsuki's.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I legit can't believe that it was under our noses this whole time and we never fuckin' noticed.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's actually a good thing Sayaka chose to omit it, cause the misprint wasn't a misprint and acting as if it was would probably have reflected poorly on the association's reputation, even if it was a minor mistake.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hate-Senpai posted:

It's actually a good thing Sayaka chose to omit it, cause the misprint wasn't a misprint and acting as if it was would probably have reflected poorly on the association's reputation, even if it was a minor mistake.

Sayaka's so good at her job (and all the Katahara family members seem to be ultra-competent in general) that I'm surprised she hasn't simply memorised all the fighters' vital stats by now.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It always amuses me how skinny Wakatsuki was initially drawn, compared to THE SECOND MOST MUSCULAR MAN IN THE WORLD that he is now.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I can’t get over just how much the art style changed. I think it looks better currently, but still.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

thetoughestbean posted:

I can’t get over just how much the art style changed. I think it looks better currently, but still.

I mean its been 100 chapters or so? I dunno what other works this artist has done, if any, but drawing professionally with feedback from editors for a few years is bound to give you some improvements/changes in your style.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

thetoughestbean posted:

Yeah, there's a major shift once the tournament starts.

The muscles get a lot more well-defined, for one. Also there's this sort of crazy eyes, where characters make this face where one eye's small and the other one's big. It's most notable with Jun, but you see them here on one of the Bodyguards too.

And then Jun literally has crazy eyes here.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

That's Majima

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Katahara's neck is so thin and he looks a lot older early on, sorta like an aged and dignified but still dangerous monster.

Whereas the Katahara now seems a lot more youthful and jovial, though that also has to do with how his eccentricities are more prominent.

Also his pupils aren't drawn at times which gives him a less sharp feel and a more cartoony demeanor, at least in my opinion.

Though sometimes you get panels where the pupil-less eyes make him even more menacing.

And sometimes both in the same page.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

This is one of my favourite panels of Jun.

The eye thing worked pretty well at the start of the manga IMO. It really sold the fighters as monstrous beings by making them look deranged.. As the story progressed Into the tournament though we learn that the fighters are actually pretty chill outside the fight which really humanize them so I think losing the eye thing was a good decision.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Jun's first fight against Ohma is still his best, that dropkick and the one more suplex for the road bit are two of my favorite panels in the series

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's a really neat interpretation.

I dunno if it was intended but I like it a lot.

I guess it makes sense that it works so well with Jun, who has a battle philosophy that's alien even among the Kengan Association fighters.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I just re read the jun vs sumo dude and in it Cosmo is told to pay attention to jun since he has something Cosmo lacks and will need for the future

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
It's suplexes

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Hate-Senpai posted:

That's a really neat interpretation.

I dunno if it was intended but I like it a lot.

I guess it makes sense that it works so well with Jun, who has a battle philosophy that's alien even among the Kengan Association fighters.

I think people are overstating Jun's battle philosophy. The 2 fights we've seen he deliberately put on a show for different reasons but I think we'll see that less now since he's not testing someone or fighting another wrestler

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean his fighting style is taking blows deliberately to force his opponents to destroy themselves, which is perfectly in line with it.

And it's not like Jun's fighting style requires him to just stand there waiting for his enemy to attack so he can take blows like a chump. Like when he was fighting Kiozan, he didn't get hit by Kiozan's last slap cause he was performing his own attack.

That said, yeah, if he busts out new tactics then his fight against Muteba is probably the best place for him to do so.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Also a thing about pro wrestling is there is tons of dirty poo poo low blows weapon usage etc

the hardcore championship was always the best

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Jun's flashback is literally 'my mentor lost a fight cause he chose to take every blow and it inspired me to become a true pro wrestler.'

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

verbal enema posted:

I just re read the jun vs sumo dude and in it Cosmo is told to pay attention to jun since he has something Cosmo lacks and will need for the future

Intact thigh muscles.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Random Kure stuff from rereads.

Wonder if this was foreshadowing the Kenzo deal?

:rip: Inaba Ryo and Rei, who are left out. (This is the introduction for Gensai.)

Probably never gonna get delved into unless we get segues into the past but drat the Kure have an amazing record. We know Erioh lost once and Raian lost in the current tournament, so that means that the Kure lost only twice before Erio's ascension as the first Fang of Metsudoh. (Kure clan's been around for 1300 years and Kengan Association's been around for 300).

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I was going for the more 'conviction' thing but yeah having all of your leg attached and suplexes is good too

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hate-Senpai posted:

Random Kure stuff from rereads.

Wonder if this was foreshadowing the Kenzo deal?

The Kures are known for honoring their contracts, so if the Kenzo hit was contracted by another client, then Erioh would have checked with that client before calling off the hit.

Since Erioh called off the Kenzo hit on his own accord, the Kenzo hit must have been Erioh's own initiative / grudge, and the "another request" is referring to something else altogether.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

JosephWongKS posted:

The Kures are known for honoring their contracts, so if the Kenzo hit was contracted by another client, then Erioh would have checked with that client before calling off the hit.

Since Erioh called off the Kenzo hit on his own accord, the Kenzo hit must have been Erioh's own initiative / grudge, and the "another request" is referring to something else altogether.

Oh, my interpretation was that this the "another request from someone besides Under Mount" was referring to Kenzo being the true contractor pulling Under Mount's strings; in other words, "someone besides Under Mount" = Kenzo.

But that doesn't explain the "another request" part I guess, so you're probably right.

Given how Raian seemed excited enough by the revelation to stop his attempt at fighting Rei, and the fact that he later showed up to verbally shut down Kazzy on the night before Round 2, I just mentally connected all these things together.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This year's like the year of super powerful newcomers in the Kengan matches. I guess it makes sense since the tournament is a major big deal with the biggest prize on the line, so you gotta go out of your way to find the biggest and the baddest and the best to represent you.

Setsuna pretty much stomped the strongest fighter that the Women's University had in their employee to become their fighter.

Rei effortlessly defeated the strongest fighter Rino had in her employee. And then Rei easily beat Togo's previous fighter (35 wins 1 loss, retained his will despite losing to Agito), forcing her to seek out Muteba.

Kiozan himself is new to the game, hired by his employee at the behest of his brothers to give him a taste of humility.

Bando's been in prison this whole time so obviously he wasn't in the Kengan matches till now.

Meguro's been hidden from the public by Toyo cause he's a murderer.

Inaba's not Penasonic's usual fighter, he specifically asked to be allowed to fight so he could help out his childhood friend so he's new too.

Nezu, Raian, Yoshinari, Adam, Gaolong, and Gensai all made their Kengan debuts in the Kengan Annihilation Tournament as well.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Wasn't it rens debut as well?

Did you mean kaneda or someone else there is nobody called yoshinori

Jose fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Oct 2, 2018

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Fishing grandpa was Karo Yoshinari, I think

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jose posted:

Wasn't it rens debut as well?

Did you mean kaneda or someone else there is nobody called yoshinori

I was wondering if Ren was or not but I got too lazy to check chapters after some point. He probably is new.

Old Man Fisherman.

And right, Kaneda's debut was this tournament as well. Good catch.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's just funny that we have a massive group of powerhouses whose current Kengan Match Records are 0 wins 1 loss.

Like, the Kengan matches are a step above the rest (Nezu was the top dog at the third biggest underworld fight tournament in Japan and was defeated in the fastest ever Kengan match, Setsuna and his master killed off everyone strong in a tournament that allowed weapons, most public martial arts fighters (see: Ivan and the one-off chumps in the prequel chapters) aren't really considered that great unless you're at top like Jun or Gaolong or Sai Pang), and even the weaker fighters in the current tournament are probably upper echelon among the general Kengan fighters.

And yet they're like, 0:1 (except Raian who's 1:1).

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Has it been mentioned when the last Kengan Challenge occurred? If my understanding is correct, a corporation sponsors the tournament (Nogi Group in this case), challenging the current president for the seat. If the corp loses, it gets dissolved/bankrupt. That's a huge barrier, so everyone will scour to find the strongest unknown fighters. I bet most new fighters were secured well in advance of the tournament announcement and hidden away some where.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://mangadex.org/chapter/457847/1

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

that Baki-like punch and slap :allears:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Blast Core is kind of a cool name.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Quick, take more steroids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

it's awesome seeing these two going at each other

i hope julius wins just because i want to see how he matches up against other competitors