Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Yeah the petition is dumb, I just think the “gently caress you” mentality after winning is bad supportsmanship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

So the COAST SWAP of 2017 (Suns and Eagles trading picks) is a massive lol now

West Coast received:

2017: 21, 26, 37
2018: 20

Gold coast received:

2017: 50
2018: 18

After compo the 2018 pick could slide to 19/20/21, LOL.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
I'm starting to suspect that Gold Coast don't have a clue as to what they're doing

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

snaeksikn posted:

I'm starting to suspect that Gold Coast don't have a clue as to what they're doing

They gave up pick 2 for Lachie Weller. I guarantee they have no loving clue about what they are doing.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

lol @ you two for getting butthurt thinking I'm pointing it out to make a jibe at you and your supporter bases. I'm merely pointing out how pathetic these Collingwood fans really are and how inane and childish the petition is. Get over yourselves, honestly.

Enjoy the soft drinks chat.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
This is why I wanted Collingwood to win

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Oh we actually have a first round draft position going into trade week.

My guess is we'll probably be trading it for someone. Shiel seems to be in the picture, if I thought Wingard was likely to come back into his 2015 form I'd take that in an instant, but more lately, mmmm.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
The Victorian media has been pretty negative towards us all year, so when your 2 biggest sides lose tremendously on the ground they play at 90% of the year, it does feel good to have a bit of a state of origin kind of gloat

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

I don't like buying into Victorian media bias, but the number of key media figures harping on about the Maynard non-free hasnt been a good look. I chalk it up to click bait and playing to the home crowd.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Don't worry it was the lowest rating for a GF since 2008, nobody saw it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

snaeksikn posted:

I don't like buying into Victorian media bias, but the number of key media figures harping on about the Maynard non-free hasnt been a good look. I chalk it up to click bait and playing to the home crowd.

I look at the angle and Rioli and Maynard are clearly trying to prevent each other from getting near the mark, they start grappling miles away from Sheed, who underestimated how long it was going and got a grab just inside the line, happening to end up near the other two. Maynard can't even see the ball, how was he supposed be impeded? Sorry to be spelling out the obvious, but Grandstand commentators made the same error and I can only assume they had a worse angle than the umpires.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

The Victorian media has been pretty negative towards us all year, so when your 2 biggest sides lose tremendously on the ground they play at 90% of the year, it does feel good to have a bit of a state of origin kind of gloat

The problem with that sentiment is that pretty much all Victorian non-Richmond/Collingwood footy fans are more than happy for them not to win a GF, ever.

The media in Vic knows if it panders to Collingwood fans their clicks/views go up, especially the Herald Sun/News Corp. The Coodabeens have been making fun of this with their character “Sam the Sub” for many years now.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Shiel offered $8m for six years from the saints.

It will cost them picks too, where they could wait a year and offer him that without any picks.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

drunkill posted:

It will cost them picks too, where they could wait a year and offer him that without any picks.

Source: Damian Barrett.

I’ll believe it when I see it

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

drunkill posted:

Hawks have apparently offered 800k/yr over 4 or something so lol if he goes to the Hawks. The Saints probably have to start spending the cash - they've been stockpiling it for ages and it doesn't look like many of the current players are worth spending it on.

I think teams just go for the players when they are available instead of risking the situation changing by waiting another year. Sure they might be cheaper next year, but a year is a long time and they may change their minds. Plus if you want to improve your team next year not recruiting them isn't going to help.

Also:

Solemn Sloth posted:

I'll believe it when I see it

And even then, I reckon the $$$ figures we hear in the media are probably inflated by a bit.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Solemn Sloth posted:

I’ll believe it when I see it

Didn't he and Slobbo just get busted with audio saying that they made it up?

edit: I love how free agency is letting lesser teams like Richmond get back into it by allowing them to hire a gun key forward from that dominating Goliath Gold Coast.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Periphery posted:

Hawks have apparently offered 800k/yr over 4 or something so lol if he goes to the Hawks. The Saints probably have to start spending the cash - they've been stockpiling it for ages and it doesn't look like many of the current players are worth spending it on.

I think teams just go for the players when they are available instead of risking the situation changing by waiting another year. Sure they might be cheaper next year, but a year is a long time and they may change their minds. Plus if you want to improve your team next year not recruiting them isn't going to help.

Also:

And even then, I reckon the $$$ figures we hear in the media are probably inflated by a bit.

Of the top players in the league very few of them are available to be recruited in any given year so you go hard at whatever is available

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Channel 9 has just axed the NRL Footy Show. Hopefully it's a sign the AFL version won't be far behind it.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I think I’m on board with trading Hogan for two picks in the top ten (freos pick, and then what they presumably get for Neale). Probably need to upgrade their remaining picks to make it work.

Seems like for the first time he’s actually strongly considering getting out, might as well do it when his currency is high (under contract, doesn’t have another year to reinjure his foot and back).

Weideman is definitely a downgrade in our forward stocks compared to him, but if he goes it might as well be now.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I think if Hogan goes, it will be a vindication of the constant, (and constantly disproved), rumours eventually ending up being true due to weight of numbers.

I.E. The constant drip drip drip of "he's going to freo", "look, he was seen walking past a shop with something purplr in teh window, this means he's going to freo", "Why won't you commit to Melbourne for teh 100,000th time theis question has been asked this week Jesse? This must mean you are going to freo, and the previous 99,999 times didn't mean anything" etc. had an effect on the bloke/club and eventually they gave in.

Which I think is a bad thing and is rewarding terrible journalism, ("Look, we were right all along!"), and will give other clubs/media outlets free reign to destabilize any player they decide is moving by sheer weight of number of bullshit stories.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

I think Fox Footy and The Australian are the only places pushing the narrative of him leaving because someone has made the story up

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

BrigadierSensible posted:

I think if Hogan goes, it will be a vindication of the constant, (and constantly disproved), rumours eventually ending up being true due to weight of numbers.

I.E. The constant drip drip drip of "he's going to freo", "look, he was seen walking past a shop with something purplr in teh window, this means he's going to freo", "Why won't you commit to Melbourne for teh 100,000th time theis question has been asked this week Jesse? This must mean you are going to freo, and the previous 99,999 times didn't mean anything" etc. had an effect on the bloke/club and eventually they gave in.

Which I think is a bad thing and is rewarding terrible journalism, ("Look, we were right all along!"), and will give other clubs/media outlets free reign to destabilize any player they decide is moving by sheer weight of number of bullshit stories.

NTRabbit just started twitching

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

The other part of the Hogan story is its part of a grander plan about the Demons being keen on May.

I don't really want May, he's got a Brendon Goddard approach to leadership and he keeps getting suspended for doing dumbfuck things on the field. I feel like he's probably locker room poison.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Testekill posted:

Didn't he and Slobbo just get busted with audio saying that they made it up?

Apparently it was Barrett and Hutchy; they thought they were off air and Hutchy gave Barrett a 'scoop' about some bullshit, then someone texted in telling them they were on air.

Of course most of the tabloid footy media do this and they won't want to come across as hypocrites, and it's a small enough industry that the serious journalists won't say anything either cos they all know each other.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

snaeksikn posted:

The other part of the Hogan story is its part of a grander plan about the Demons being keen on May.

I don't really want May, he's got a Brendon Goddard approach to leadership and he keeps getting suspended for doing dumbfuck things on the field. I feel like he's probably locker room poison.

Yeah. I’d probably rather take two picks to the draft than spend one of them bringing in May

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

There's nobody worth the ink coming out of contract next year, so they've already started on our players coming out of contract in 2020. Gotta get that sweet reacharound from player managers looking for another cut every year.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Very promising.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

There's nobody worth the ink coming out of contract next year, so they've already started on our players coming out of contract in 2020. Gotta get that sweet reacharound from player managers looking for another cut every year.

Or maybe half the players with any currency at the Crows are looking for the exits after the cult camp poo poo

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
As a Richmond supporter obviously I’m happy he fits in so we aren’t just relying on reiwoldt and also maybe even so we’re not just relying on nankervis in a pinch, BUT

It does suck that we are basically poaching a great player from a poo poo team, like salary caps mean that any one team can’t be too crazy with this however it certainly can mean a bunch of the lower teams are kept down and the higher teams stay up. I get the compensation stuff but what can be done about this? Or is it just the players association won’t do anything that restricts the ability of players to move where they want?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

teacup posted:

As a Richmond supporter obviously I’m happy he fits in so we aren’t just relying on reiwoldt and also maybe even so we’re not just relying on nankervis in a pinch, BUT

It does suck that we are basically poaching a great player from a poo poo team, like salary caps mean that any one team can’t be too crazy with this however it certainly can mean a bunch of the lower teams are kept down and the higher teams stay up. I get the compensation stuff but what can be done about this? Or is it just the players association won’t do anything that restricts the ability of players to move where they want?

This, probably

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

gay picnic defence posted:

Or maybe half the players with any currency at the Crows are looking for the exits after the cult camp poo poo

Cult camp, or slightly weirder and stupider than average corporate team building camp that player managers and media alike beat up for easy money? It's not like these Creative Minds people appeared from nowhere, they've been doing the exact same camps for corporate Australia for over a decade, and it wasn't newsworthy then.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Ugh, late response to the jernalisms did it post

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

Cult camp, or slightly weirder and stupider than average corporate team building camp that player managers and media alike beat up for easy money? It's not like these Creative Minds people appeared from nowhere, they've been doing the exact same camps for corporate Australia for over a decade, and it wasn't newsworthy then.

I’ve been involved with one of Creative Minds workshops at my work, and let me tell ya, it was nothing like the batshit stuff that’s been reported out of Crows camp.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

I see they've gotten to you too!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Spedman posted:

I’ve been involved with one of Creative Minds workshops at my work, and let me tell ya, it was nothing like the batshit stuff that’s been reported out of Crows camp.

I, too, have never known a player manager or a sports journo to tell a lie

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

NTRabbit posted:

What operating level are you?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

I’m sorry, I’ll admit it, I’m part of the mass conspiracy of taking down the crows via spreading misinformation of a camp run by unqualified spivs

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

snaeksikn posted:

Don't talk nonsense

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
the camp never happened. scoops mcclure made it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
It seems the reasons that people want to leave the Crows are far more mundane.