Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Gaunab posted:

It's pretty well established that reindeer are jerks.

What they don’t tell you is that Reindeer games are just bullies doing poo poo to the fat elves in the workshop locker rooms.

Fortunately Rudolph was finally accepted by the other reindeers and proved himself with his skill snapping wet towels on bare buttocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Grammarchist posted:

It stuck with me because Malone is a family name and Reynolds looks remarkably like a lot of my uncles on that side of the family, at least the way they looked in the 70s. Not one of them has ever kicked in the door to a right-wing militia's high tech bunker though, at least to my knowledge.

Well what the hell are they wasting their time on then?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Krispy Wafer posted:

What they don’t tell you is that Reindeer games are just bullies doing poo poo to the fat elves in the workshop locker rooms.

Fortunately Rudolph was finally accepted by the other reindeers and proved himself with his skill snapping wet towels on bare buttocks.

So how does Ben Affleck fit into all this?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Nah, the reindeer are secretly complete losers. They spend all their time playing Ludo, because anything that requires any skill or intellect is lost on them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's an animated Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer movie where the reindeer games are actually these chariot races where reindeers pull sleds with elf drivers in them.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's an animated Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer movie where the reindeer games are actually these chariot races where reindeers pull sleds with elf drivers in them.

And yet it is the reindeer who have a say in who does or doesn't play?

Do they arrange a bigoted strike or something?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The reason Rudolph isn't allowed to join in any reindeer games is that the one time he did compete, he used his nose to blind another reindeer and was excluded for having an unfair advantage.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

The reason Rudolph isn't allowed to join in any reindeer games is that the one time he did compete, he used his nose to blind another reindeer and was excluded for having an unfair advantage.

Yeah, it was a reasonable response, but Rudolph never forgave. After that fateful night Rudolph was been shown to be indispensable and risen to be Santa's second. He now rules the North Pole in Santa's name and ushered in a new Reign of Terror.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

business hammocks posted:

Rudolph was invented by Sears to sell home appliances during the winter months, further exploiting Cocoa Cola’s earlier creation, Santa Claus.

Montgomery Ward. I mean, the second half of your sentence is totally wrong, but Rudolph really did originate as a marketing venture for Montgomery Ward.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
My girls love Sophia the First and every single episode is bad because she doesn't spend all her efforts sending her family to the guillotine :black101:

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
:sever:

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

tactlessbastard posted:

My girls love Sophia the First and every single episode is bad because she doesn't spend all her efforts sending her family to the guillotine :black101:

She’s originally from the village so she’s a class traitor too.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I can't remember if it's possible to edit-out all of Mickey Rooney's scenes in Breakfast at Tiffany's and have the resulting movie still sense. Though there's nothing you can do about the child-bride thing.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 14:14 on Sep 10, 2018

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Also, aren't the only reindeers who keep their antlers during winter the females?

EDIT: Yep. Male reindeer drop their antlers around November. So Rudolph was a lady.

Rud looks like a lady?

*guitar riff*

sorry...

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I noticed Robert Webb getting into a lot of heated tweets recently because he said he hadn't "boffed a tranny" in a peep show episode 12 years ago.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

CrRoMa posted:

I noticed Robert Webb getting into a lot of heated tweets recently because he said he hadn't "boffed a tranny" in a peep show episode 12 years ago.

I guess he should have then

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That line always makes me wince when it comes up but I think it’s still in character for Jeremy. He thinks he’s progressive and thoughtful but scenes like that and “I’m a better black man than Johnson” make it clear he’s part of The Man he rages against, primarily by wanking and watching the poker channel. I haven’t seen Webb’s tweets though.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

People blaming actors for poo poo their characters say is stupid as gently caress.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I was quite glad that Alan Rickman died before the indignity of having to sit through a murder trial for killing Michael Gambon.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

BrigadierSensible posted:

People blaming actors for poo poo their characters say is stupid as gently caress.

FWIW, Mitchell and Webb are TV writers and did have writing credits on Peep Show, so calling them out on lines they may have written isn't entirely inappropriate.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
You don't see anyone calling out Kelsey Grammer for things he said as Frasier.

Everything since then however

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kelsey Grammer is a full on crazy person

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why aren't there like normal conservative in Hollywood. It's never "oh yeah I believe in small government and maybe we can reduce the number of abortions through these policies." Instead it's always full on crazy batshit people like Adam Baldwin.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Mu Zeta posted:

Why aren't there like normal conservative in Hollywood. It's never "oh yeah I believe in small government and maybe we can reduce the number of abortions through these policies." Instead it's always full on crazy batshit people like Adam Baldwin.

Like gary sinise?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Mu Zeta posted:

This is like a strawman except you're putting really positive words in your opponent's mouth

Full on crazy batshit people are the normal conservatives.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Ottermotive Insanity posted:

Like gary sinise?

lol

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

You don't see anyone calling out Kelsey Grammer for things he said as Frasier.

Everything since then however

Despite all his crazy, Kelsey gave us Girlfriends which was a show too good for UPN tbh

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Toshimo posted:

FWIW, Mitchell and Webb are TV writers and did have writing credits on Peep Show, so calling them out on lines they may have written isn't entirely inappropriate.

Criticizing people who write unsympathetic characters saying unsympathetic things is inappropriate and silly without strong evidence they were trying to advance their own beliefs through said characters.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mu Zeta posted:

You go back to the 40s and 50s and I think most big Hollywood stars tended to be conservative in terms of politics, even before blacklisting. Doris Day, Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Dean Martin, Gary Cooper, to some extent Sammy Davis Jr. (actively involved in civil rights but chums with Nixon and Reagan) and most infamously John Wayne (who went from saying, "I didn't vote for JFK but he is my president and he hope he does his best," to proclaiming that he was a white supremacist and thought people protesting against Vietnam should be shot in the space of about five years).

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 16:04 on Oct 2, 2018

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Wheat Loaf posted:

You go back to the 40s and 50s and I think most big Hollywood stars tended to be conservative in terms of politics, even before blacklisting. Doris Day, Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Dean Martin, Gary Cooper, to some extent Sammy Davis Jr. (actively involved in civil rights but chums with Nixon and Reagan) and most infamously John Wayne (who went from saying, "I didn't vote for JFK but he is my president and he hope he does his best," to proclaiming that he was a white supremacist and thought people protesting against Vietnam should be shot in the space of about five years).

You have any links to the white supremacist thing? I knew about the shoot the protesters thing, but that's the first I heard about the other and would like to read more about it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

M_Sinistrari posted:

You have any links to the white supremacist thing? I knew about the shoot the protesters thing, but that's the first I heard about the other and would like to read more about it.

Interview with Playboy in 1971; the relevant part is actually on Wikipedia:

quote:

With a lot of blacks, there’s quite a bit of resentment along with their dissent, and possibly rightfully so. But we can’t all of a sudden get down on our knees and turn everything over to the leadership of the blacks. I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility. I don’t believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people.”

... I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from [the Native Americans] ... Our so-called stealing of this country from them was just a matter of survival. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
I get a feeling he mixed up John Wayne the character and John Wayne the actor.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Wheat Loaf posted:

Interview with Playboy in 1971; the relevant part is actually on Wikipedia:

The whole article is great, in fact, most of those interviews are a great read. Also, and I’m sure most people overlooked this fact, there’s pictures of glistening tits on every other page that isn’t interviews.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Fish of hemp posted:

I get a feeling he mixed up John Wayne the character and John Wayne the actor.

I'm thinking the same. Instead of the usual dementia, he became his character.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Mu Zeta posted:

Kurt Russel identifies as a libertarian but seems pretty chill about it. I think Chris Pratt is conservative? At least really religious and vocally pro guns.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
John Wayne got so mad when Marlon Brando had a native american lady accept his award. It was great.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Also went bugfuck when he saw High Plains Drifter.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

john wayne's pretty weird yeah, on the one hand he had a pretty optimistic view of what westerns should be - regular folk facing frontier adversity together and overcoming their obstacles with the spirits of co-operation and peace to eventually build a society - and he felt so strongly about it he vomited in his mouth when he saw high noon and called it the most unamerican thing he'd ever seen

but on the other hand his definition of regular folk explicitly excluded native americans and blacks and instead shifted native americans into the obstacles you face on the frontier, peace in that case was abhorrent; the mental gymnastics he used for explaining why he personally believed it was righteous to steal their land are legendary and have all aged like fine wine

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
John Wayne was tipped to star in High Noon but pulled out when he realised it was an anti-blacklisting movie, because he thought blacklisting was awesome. Gary Cooper was chosen to replace him partly because he was about as conservative as Wayne, but was also (either before or after, as a result of his participation) very strongly against blacklisting.

Another John Wayne story I like is how, after Rex Stout wrote The Doorbell Rang, in which J. Edgar Hoover and the FBI are portrayed as corrupt, authoritarian and overreaching, Wayne sent him a very whiny letter complaining that he had been a fan of Nero Wolfe for nearly 30 years but would never read another one again because he was so offended by the idea that the FBI would act against American citizens.

James Stewart was also a notable Hollywood conservative from those days (I have no idea what he felt the underlying message of It's a Wonderful Life to be) but still managed to be good friends with Henry Fonda despite their differences over politics.

Of course it's sort of funny how arguably the ultimate Hollywood conservative post-John Wayne - I'm talking about Charlton Heston - once had a reputation as a bit of a bleeding heart who was pro-gun control and marched with Martin Luther King.

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 21:35 on Oct 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Wheat Loaf posted:

John Wayne was tipped to star in High Noon but pulled out when he realised it was an anti-blacklisting movie, because he thought blacklisting was awesome. Gary Cooper was chosen to replace him partly because he was about as conservative as Wayne, but was also (either before or after, as a result of his participation) very strongly against blacklisting.

Another John Wayne story I like is how, after Rex Stout wrote The Doorbell Rang, in which J. Edgar Hoover and the FBI are portrayed as corrupt, authoritarian and overreaching, Wayne sent him a very whiny letter complaining that he had been a fan of Nero Wolfe for nearly 30 years but would never read another one again because he was so offended by the idea that the FBI would act against American citizens.

aside from the anti-blacklasting angle, iirc john wayne was apparently so offended by high noon, agreeing with director howard hawks that 'i didn't think a good town marshal was going to run around town like a chicken with his head cut off asking everyone to help, and who saves him? his quaker wife!' that they teamed up and made the film rio bravo as a direct response to high noon

zinnemann, the director of high noon, had to deal with the two of them publicly whining at him the entire time and sending angry letters - i swear to goodness i can only imagine what john wayne would have been like in the age of twitter