Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
ctps: major third-party dependency finally has a version that supports java 9+ so now we're looking at updating our stuff! :toot:

except we still have to support java 8 as well. multi-release jars look like the way to go but every time i look into how to actually produce them i find myself contemplating a career change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

ctps:

code:
#define MAX1(a, b) (a < b) ? (b) : (a) 
#define MAX13(a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i, j, k, l, m, n) (MAX12(a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i, j, k, l, m) < n) ? (l) : MAX12(a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i, j, k, l, m) 
i'm going to track down whoever the gently caress did this and beat them mercilessly with a goddamn sock full of quarters

please raise bail money

Yeah!

It should be MAX2 to MAX14!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Soricidus posted:

ctps: major third-party dependency finally has a version that supports java 9+ so now we're looking at updating our stuff! :toot:

except we still have to support java 8 as well. multi-release jars look like the way to go but every time i look into how to actually produce them i find myself contemplating a career change

2 separate poms targeting the same source w/ additional source includes based on version is probably the easiest, laziest way.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
theoretically you can do it all in a single pom w/ multiple executions but idk that seems like it might confuse people.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

It actually goes higher, and the last three all return "l" if the abomination is less than the final value,

code:

MAX(..., m) < n ? l : MAX(..., m)
MAX(..., n) < o ? l : MAX(..., n) 

finding the max value in something is a solved problem, and this ain't it :psyduck:

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

AggressivelyStupid posted:

i'm going to track down whoever the gently caress did this and beat them mercilessly with a goddamn sock full of quarters

please raise bail money
Just so you do this the efficient way, you should beat them with 13 socks. The first has two quarters. The second has one quarter and then another sock with two quarters. The third has one quarter and then a sock with a quarter and inside THAT sock is a sock with two quarters...

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

akadajet posted:

microsoft does this all of the time. visual source safe is my favorite one of these

vss was axed over a decade ago in favor of TFS, which was used internally from its inception

mystes posted:

Isn't "VS for mac" just a rebranded version of Xamarin Studio? It's not really "visual studio" any more than vscode is.
features from vs (like the editor) are being ported to vs for mac. it's getting better.

raminasi posted:

wait are the “vs is good” “vs is ok at best” arguments had between c#/c++ devs? that would make a lot of sense

microsoft gives zero fucks about c++

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
my team just voted to do away with all rest APIs and databases and replace it all with kafka. we're entirely event based now!

when asked about our need for rest APIs and databases, apparently they're going to be done with ksql views instead now.

internally me and some like minded people are working on a tool so that you define a rest api and a service upstream will translate kafka events into rest calls for you since gently caress that.

mystes
May 31, 2006

gonadic io posted:

my team just voted to do away with all rest APIs and databases and replace it all with kafka. we're entirely event based now!

when asked about our need for rest APIs and databases, apparently they're going to be done with ksql views instead now.

internally me and some like minded people are working on a tool so that you define a rest api and a service upstream will translate kafka events into rest calls for you since gently caress that.
Hmm, I feel like there has to be a joke in there somewhere.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

raminasi posted:

wait are the “vs is good” “vs is ok at best” arguments had between c#/c++ devs? that would make a lot of sense

Oh yeah I do C#

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

gonadic io posted:

better idea: work on finding a new job

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
My boss knew about literally hundreds of legacy systems including triggets, bots, scripts, apps - all untracked, not in source control, undocumented. Was also a cool dude. Got me my cool job. Stood up to upper management. Really fought hard for us.

Dude died today.

The bus factor is real.

:rip:

I have no idea how we're gonna figure this pile of lost knowledge out.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Fiedler posted:

this is a good thing

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Space Whale posted:

My boss knew about literally hundreds of legacy systems including triggets, bots, scripts, apps - all untracked, not in source control, undocumented. Was also a cool dude. Got me my cool job. Stood up to upper management. Really fought hard for us.

Dude died today.

The bus factor is real.

woah :rip:

sorry for you and your company's loss

(also wth get that poo poo into source control ffs)

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

Fiedler posted:

then why are they putting so much work into their compiler?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Soiled Meat

Space Whale posted:

Dude died today.

The bus factor is real.

take all your vacation time right now, start looking for another job, and then give your notice afterwards

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

akadajet posted:

this is a good thing

if we’re lucky we might be rid of it in two decades

to be replaced with nothing

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Lime posted:

then why are they putting so much work into their compiler?

two reasons:
1) a vocal minority of the community gets all pissy about lack of support for new features
2) adding ever-more features to the language actually serves to hastens its demise

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Fiedler posted:

two reasons:
1) a vocal minority of the community gets all pissy about lack of support for new features
2) adding ever-more features to the language actually serves to hastens its demise

3) there are entire industries with gigantic code bases in c++ and not going to switch off it anytime soon. we're not rewriting the world in rust tomorrow

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Zlodo posted:

3) there are entire industries with gigantic code bases in c++ and not going to switch off it anytime soon. we're not rewriting the world in rust tomorrow

disagree. as soon as a programming language is not cool, all code written in it vanishes

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Fiedler posted:

better idea: work on finding a new job

i'm going to work on the principle that despite it being agreed on in a meeting, nobody is going to do poo poo and i can just ignore it

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

prisoner of waffles posted:

disagree. as soon as a programming language is not cool, all code written in it vanishes
lol can you imagine

the entire field of RE vanishes overnight as desperate companies need to decompile binaries back into something usable

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Zlodo posted:

this has no bearing in the decision. microsoft in general is perfectly happy to abandon legacy app development with legacy tools.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fiedler posted:

this has no bearing in the decision. microsoft in general is perfectly happy to abandon legacy app development with legacy tools.
C++/WinRT wouldn't exist if there was a consensus at Microsoft that C++ was obsolete. The Visual Studio people may feel otherwise, but unless Microsoft gives up on UWP completely they aren't going to be able to abandon C++.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Fiedler posted:

c++ development is not legacy development

for instance, they want game developers to continue being more comfortable using their tools and api (than for instance things less tied to windows such as vulkan), and they want development on the xbox one to be as cheap and easy as possible so they need to provide good tooling support there as well

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

mystes posted:

C++/WinRT wouldn't exist if there was a consensus at Microsoft that C++ was obsolete. The Visual Studio people may feel otherwise, but unless Microsoft gives up on UWP completely they aren't going to be able to abandon C++.

c++/winrt was brought to you courtesy of the same bright minds responsible for windows 8.

Zlodo posted:

c++ development is not legacy development

for instance, they want game developers to continue being more comfortable using their tools and api (than for instance things less tied to windows such as vulkan), and they want development on the xbox one to be as cheap and easy as possible so they need to provide good tooling support there as well

games? might care if they started being a significant source of azure revenue, but otherwise...

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Fiedler posted:

games? might care if they started being a significant source of azure revenue, but otherwise...

they evidently care enough to pour tons of cash into staying relevant in that space
not that i would mind of the xbox one were to disappear some day, that'd be one less overly lovely platform to deal with

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

tons of cash? not really, no. i mean, yeah, in absolute terms it's a lot of money but relative to overall revenue and investments elsewhere...

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
and now for something more relevant to the thread than "c++ is obsolete" fantasies:

why

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

gonadic io posted:

hmm yes these sweeping architectural changes will solve everything

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
hyperfocusing on ways to make kafka act like sql is the terrible programmer equivalent of vegans who insist on eating tofurkey and soy corndogs

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
just put an SQLite database in you Kafka in order to have something you can fetch and then query in your application

you’re welcome

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

eschaton posted:

just put an SQLite database in you Kafka in order to have something you can fetch and then query in your application

you’re welcome

Each kafka message contains the updated state of the db file :q:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Space Whale posted:

Dude died today.

The bus factor is real.

that sucks.

my company just made a bunch of people redundant, in the case of two people representing a total of 50 years experience and knowledge, one was the dev team lead and we have stuff going back maybe 15 years that nobody left knows about.

gj there's so much documentation... hahahaha

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

gonadic io posted:

:staredog:

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
is the claim that kafka and dbs are isomorphic correct?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

is the claim that kafka and dbs are isometric correct?

from a certain point of view, yes

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

c tp s:

code:
update dba.butt join dba.fart on fart."id" = 1 set butt.date1 = fart.date2;

Table '' not found
SQLCODE=-141, ODBC 3 State="42S02"
Line 1, column 1
Ok sure, cool.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

that sucks.

my company just made a bunch of people redundant, in the case of two people representing a total of 50 years experience and knowledge, one was the dev team lead and we have stuff going back maybe 15 years that nobody left knows about.

gj there's so much documentation... hahahaha

Oh geez that sucks. Good luck with that. Sounds like a huge mess :(

gonadic io posted:

Yeah, just make it ~~reactive~~

ynohtna posted:

from a certain point of view, yes

hahaha lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011