Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

sexpig by night posted:

but they literally have never shown the villains as having 'noble intentions', even the redeemed bad guy character was shown as a victim of indoctrination as a low ranking member of the regime. In fact the diamond intentions have always been shown as very bad, it's near instantly established they destroy worlds for resources and completely ignore anyone saying 'maybe we can conserve things and actually wind up with a better system' out of spite and anger. You keep saying this poo poo but you're just weirdly making stuff up about a show for children to get angry.

I just said its because it's a show for children is the only real reason I do care. I stopped giving a poo poo about most other shows years ago. Yes the show isn't over yet, but the overall theme of just talking out your personal problems has limits and it's easy for people who've experience little actual violence in there lives to see that. like i said before, maybe I'll be wrong and the show will stick the landing. but based on what's out now I really doubt it.

OmanyteJackson fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

OmanyteJackson posted:

The overall theme of just talking out your personal problems has limits

This

has

already

been

brought

up

People keep telling you this.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

if steven was able to stop every villain via friendship jasper would still be alive

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

star wars

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Testekill posted:

after defeating the big bad of NWN2 you character ends up in a place called Rashemen. At the end of the first act you find out that you have become a spirit eater which means that you need to consume souls to survive (you can then eat the animal god that tried to kill you) and it's related to a curse on a being called Akachi who has replaced his soul with yours and placed your soul in the wall of the faithless which is basically where the people who didn't follow a god ended up.

The expansion has fantastic writing and is very reminiscent of Planescape Torment or the Sandman. If you play RPGs for the story and like CRPGs then it's the game for you.

edit: It's a game written by Chris Avellone so you have a jumping off point on whether you'd be interested or not.

I've tried playing planescape, but the old UI is hard for me to get use to. But I love KOTOR 2 from now till the end of time, so gently caress yeah, let's do it.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

I like it

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Well way to just ruin my day there you goddamn day ruiner

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

I like the prequels in spite of themselves because they are a fun examination on how the Jedi deserved to die.

Of course I also dislike them because Inmaul and Intyrannus aren't words, tho that fault is more on the EU if I recall right.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

InIcky. In...Insaneous.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Darth Ternet

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

CYBEReris posted:

Darth Ternet

The scariest IN word.

Darth Festation
Darth Hibited
Darth Jure
Darth Truder
Darth Ept

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The worst of them all, Darth Tedious.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Have you destroyed HBomb at chess yet?

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yardbomb posted:

This

has

already

been

brought

up

People keep telling you this.

Yes, i know. Read the sentences around that one ya pedantic gently caress. Context.

new ones are basicly fanfic.

old ones are overrated an probubly negatively influenced modern story telling for a generation.

prequels are bad films but have the most cohesive theme and world building of the series.

Solo ...exists

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

OmanyteJackson posted:

I just said its because it's a show for children is the only real reason I do care. I stopped giving a poo poo about most other shows years ago. Yes the show isn't over yet, but the overall theme of just talking out your personal problems has limits and it's easy for people who've experience little actual violence in there lives to see that. like i said before, maybe I'll be wrong and the show will stick the landing. but based on what's out now I really doubt it.

it's real weird you keep assuming this poo poo about someone you don't know based on third hand misunderstanding of a literal show for children. That's a really creepy thing to do.

"This show is about forgiving nazis"

"It's explicitly not, they're never portrayed as good or good intended"

"Ah but it's not surprising someone who never dealt with violence or abuse would think forgiving nazis is good"

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

a cartoon duck posted:

Have you destroyed HBomb at chess yet?

Nah, that match hasn't happened yet. I'm totally rooting for HBomb, though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I hope they find a way to stream it. They should do a vs game of Battle Chess! If Battle Chess had online compatibility.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Can we resurrect Lucasarts or whoever so they can make Star Wars:Dark Forces 4: Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Academy 2: Some New Subtitle?

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

sexpig by night posted:

it's real weird you keep assuming this poo poo about someone you don't know based on third hand misunderstanding of a literal show for children. That's a really creepy thing to do.

"Ah but it's not surprising someone who never dealt with violence or abuse would think forgiving nazis is good"

I only found it out because I wanted to make sure I was using her correct pronouns. I knew she was from Maryland before but I didn't know she's from the same place people like Brett Kavanaugh are from. l don't think she's a bad person but knowing just that one factoid makes the show make much more sense to me.

I used Naruto as an extreme example of that sort of bullshit. To be fair Steven Universe isn't as bad as Naruto. but I'm gonna take a hunch that the reason Pink diamond isn't framed as a full on irredeemable villan is the same reason Sasuke remained an anti-hero and not a villan till the nend. Somtimes creators dont want there favorite creations to be the bad guy. again this is a hunch. and sure other characters say thesr characters are bad. but the audiance knows its more complicated then that. Its a have you cake and eat it too kind of deal.

reminder for those who can't read, I'm saying they are similar, not the same. The show has killed gems (that don't look like hot ladies). And the show takes the threat of the diamonds seriously ok.

also someone will probubly assume that because I mentioned Kavanaugh that I'm somehow implying Sugar as a rapist instead of understanding the most privileged people in the nation went to school in that area so it's not "middle class". If thats you, gently caress off into outer space.

Any other bad faith readings people want to bring up? or are we good? loving hell. Its like you can't dislike a show until someone with a frog avatar says it's good.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

BigRed0427 posted:

I've tried playing planescape, but the old UI is hard for me to get use to. But I love KOTOR 2 from now till the end of time, so gently caress yeah, let's do it.

I really wish I could pin down a CRPG that was: A) not tens of hours long both for my own sake and my attention span's, B) not a pain in the rear end to actually play (ie, being shackled to lackluster D&D rulesets or having old clunky interfaces), and C) actually good. Between LGR's video on Oblivion and that breakdown of NWN I've now got a heck of an itch for fantasy RPGs that I don't normally have...

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Have you tried the Divinity: Original Sin games?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

OmanyteJackson posted:

I only found it out because I wanted to make sure I was using her correct pronouns. I knew she was from Maryland before but I didn't know she's from the same place people like Brett Kavanaugh are from. l don't think she's a bad person but knowing just that one factoid makes the show make much more sense to me.

I used Naruto as an extreme example of that sort of bullshit. To be fair Steven Universe isn't as bad as Naruto. but I'm gonna take a hunch that the reason Pink diamond isn't framed as a full on irredeemable villan is the same reason Sasuke remained an anti-hero and not a villan till the nend. Somtimes creators dont want there favorite creations to be the bad guy. again this is a hunch. and sure other characters say thesr characters are bad. but the audiance knows its more complicated then that. Its a have you cake and eat it too kind of deal.

reminder for those who can't read, I'm saying they are similar, not the same. The show has killed gems (that don't look like hot ladies). And the show takes the threat of the diamonds seriously ok.

also someone will probubly assume that because I mentioned Kavanaugh that I'm somehow implying Sugar as a rapist instead of understanding the most privileged people in the nation went to school in that area so it's not "middle class". If thats you, gently caress off into outer space.

Any other bad faith readings people want to bring up? or are we good? loving hell. Its like you can't dislike a show until someone with a frog avatar says it's good.

please stop

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Zedd posted:

Have you tried the Divinity: Original Sin games?

they’re good but long as hell

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah. The answer might be to take a crack at Dragon Age finally. It's probably still plenty long but I'm at least familiar with the overall modern BioWare feel from playing Mass Effect, which is at least a foot in the door compared to having to struggle with arcane D&D bullshit or text parsers.

Or I'll just slam my face into Kingdoms of Amalur again. :classiclol:

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Speaking of Bioware-NEVERWINTER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUHeWaDjuZ0&t=1s

3 hours about a game I played back in High School. I didn't realize there was so many modules.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
It's been too long since someone managed to annoy most of the thread by harping on about some point regarding some show/movie.

Starting the countdown to when we start seeing "Stop replying to BravestoftheLamps OmanyteJackson" image macros.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

John Murdoch posted:

I really wish I could pin down a CRPG that was: A) not tens of hours long both for my own sake and my attention span's, B) not a pain in the rear end to actually play (ie, being shackled to lackluster D&D rulesets or having old clunky interfaces), and C) actually good. Between LGR's video on Oblivion and that breakdown of NWN I've now got a heck of an itch for fantasy RPGs that I don't normally have...

Its not fantasy based but maybe valkyrie chronicles? it's got a good deal of tactical combat and also a lot of character banter that I missed from crpgs. its been a while since i played though but just remember it scratching that itch.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

Tyranny

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

It's been too long since someone managed to annoy most of the thread by harping on about some point regarding some show/movie.

Starting the countdown to when we start seeing "Stop replying to BravestoftheLamps OmanyteJackson" image macros.

there will never be another BOTL

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Junpei Hyde posted:

I live pretty close to where they filmed bergerac, how much does this mean transphobia doesn't affect me

...So did you ever get to meet Charlie Hungerford?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I did not

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

This thread needs more topics to talk about :shepface:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Let us talk about a star war

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Calaveron posted:

Let us talk about a star war

huh
what is good for?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Making nerds mad

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
absolutely star nothing

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Senerio posted:

Making nerds mad

I'm sorry, but the correct answer was absolutely nothing

anyway, content: my new favorite thing is Objectivity, just pulling up a new random object out of historical archives every week

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Hel posted:

Can we resurrect Lucasarts or whoever so they can make Star Wars:Dark Forces 4: Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Academy 2: Jedi Dark Knights of Ren?

Ftfy

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Remember when someone brought up Dead Meat? The channel is doing a trial run of comparing the Theater and Producer Cuts of films starting with Halloween 6.

Edit: Misremembered the channel's name by applying the name of the Kill Count videos the channel does.

marathon Stairmaster sesh fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

I haven’t watched any of this show (so I apologise if this is all completely off the mark), but I think you guys are talking past each other now. The second line in the quote doesn’t refute the first. There’s a difference to showing sympathy to fascism the ideology or a fascist regime, and showing sympathy to individual fascists. Claiming that the show never pulls its punches when displaying how bad fascism is, doesn’t negate criticism that there’s never any comeuppance for the people enacting those atrocities, or that those actions can be easily forgiven.

It’s the same as how there’s a difference between Scientology the religion, the organisation, and the individual members, and an attack on one isn’t the same as an attack on all three.

That said, I’m pretty sure this is a show for children, and as such I don’t think it’s unfair for the show to have a clear message, at the expense of nuance. If the show is about working through all problems with compassion and forgiveness, and it’s shown to work no matter how big the problem appears to be (and for kids, every problem is as big as it could possibly be), that’s not a bad thing. Kids should be taught to take the high road, because for 95% of the time, this is a lesson for how to deal with other kids. I understand it may give them the wrong impression for how to deal with an abusive parent or the current global rise of bigotry and nationalism, but I don’t think that’s really either a problem that can be adequately addressed by a Saturday morning cartoon, or that it’s targeting a demographic that can properly comprehend and address such problems.

It’s laying the foundation for a child’s morality to be based around empathy and sympathy for others, and then later in their development they’ll be better able identify people who deviate from that stance, and learn how to deal specifically with them.